Unilever

Unilever Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is fair but seems to be getting worse each year"
    in 53 reviews
  • "flexible working hours, ability to work from home, good staff benefits"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate"
    in 42 reviews
  • "decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to start-off or drop by for then moving on

Brand Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience especially for more junior profiles. Great brands to work on. Good to have on your CV. Great mission and overall good company culture.

ConsWork life balance is getting dramatically worse in recent years due to continuous FTE cuts which result in massive workloads for a good amount of employees in all functions. Managing relationships is far more important than focusing on real business challenges. Absolutely no focus on developing employees to keep internal top talent in, especially in regards to junior profiles up to managers. Low pay vs. peers. Poor HR. Low accountability of certain employees and functions. Certain business processes and systems are hell to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the (good) people, results will follow even better. More focus on accountability and results. Increase slightly base pay. Improve some of the most terrible business processes and systems.

Unilever Boksburg has Incompetent senior management. Untrustworthy company.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to meet good hardy people.

ConsImpersonal unapproachable senior management, incompetent to look after the physical and psychological well-being of subordinates. Their criteria standards for choosing and recruiting management are POOR(inexperienced, irrelevant qualifications, unqualified). I will not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake initiative in your career. Do humanity a whole lot of good by studying the appropriate courses that will enable you to actualize your responsibility as a human and fellow colleague. Lesson one: ALL EMPLOYEES ARE THE COMPANY. AS THE "COMPANY" EXPERIENCES GROWTH SO SHOULD THE EMPLOYEES. A BUSINESSES TRUE GROWTH SHOULD BE MEASURABLE THROUGH THE GROWTH IN ITS EMPLOYEES IN ALL ASPECTS.

PA

Global PA (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood perks, shop, in office dental and private GP

ConsPoor management, awful treatment to 'low' level staff. Only look after themselves, and the general company attitude has change dramatically over the last few year and is only getting worse. Poor pay well below the market average.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people fairly and equally, admin staff are already at the bottom no need to wipe your feet on them too.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Job Employment

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Istanbul (Turkey)

ProsSalary, Extras, Office Location, Lunch, Safet

ConsPeople, Labor Union, Staff, Trainings

Advice to Senior ManagementLike P&G force build within strategy

15 years service and the place is going down hill fast with morale ridiculously low

Process Technician (Current Employee)
    Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsStill have long service awards

Consmore work for less pay, small rises low bonuses, less pension, disciplines galore. very sad place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to invest back into the work force who have built up Unilever for many years.

Finance dept. is a disaster

Associate Finance Manager (Former Employee)
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsLooks good on your resume

ConsEverything (lack of transparency, poor career options, bonus is minimal due to poor company performance)

If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS.

Machine Operator/Sanitation Staff (Current Employee)
    New Century, KS

ProsThe pay and insurance is excellent and they buy your boots and uniforms for you. That is the where the pros END!

ConsI was lured in with a false claim that forced overtime and working weekends was a rare thing. WRONG. I work overtime (forced) EVERY DAY. I work Every other weekend! If you want to work for this company, you had better have NO family, hobbies, need for sleep, or life other than work. I HATE this place with all my heart and soul! It has ruined my life! I am seeking a way out as quickly as possible. Before Unilever I was an artist and a performer. Now I am a nameless cog in their dying machine. I was unable to see my terminally ill Dad for the holidays. I am unable to perform the most basic self-maintenance. I am to the point where I want to be fired just so I can escape!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees hate you. Forcing us to work 84 hour weeks during the holidays is sick and immoral. Your employees are so tired that they are exhausted to the point of being walking safety risks! I can't wait to leave so I can see my family, paint, dance, and tell my boss he can force some other poor sap who has sold his sold for money to work my job! My health is more important than your numbers!!!

Management is lacking clear direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsI liked my coworkers in the department I worked for the most part. Although it was a challenge because of the lack of work life balance, at the end of my experience, I ended up in a new field.

ConsHR let directors get away with firing or letting go people who never had a chance to defend themselves. They unilaterally made the decisions on their own and most of the time, the decision was based on personal feelings and not business related. There was no checks and balances when it came to this practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in a sound process of checks and balances and ensure that people in leadership roles are not being dictatorial and abusive toward their employees.

Good start poor finish

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSalary, salary salary salary salary

ConsPension, management, hours, shift, working conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementThink people not profit

Sly, Robbers, un-trustworthy.

Operator (Current Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsAll the pros have been eroded since Paul Polman took over there's none left.

ConsThey stole our final salary pension yet the board kept theirs. They claimed it wasn't viable but there was plenty in the pot for all of us.
    They have now stopped our overtime and pay rises for the cost of living are a thing of the past.
    Its turning into a sweat shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop stabbing the workforce in the back and start working on trust and earning some respect. You were told this at the last people survey and you said you would work on it but all you seem to do is the opposite.

Worked for Unilever? Contribute to the Community!

Unilever Videos

Unilever – Why Work for Us?

About Unilever CREATING BETTER FUTURES MADE BY YOU About us We are the global company behind powerhouse brands such as Dove, Magnum and Surf. Our products are sold in more than 190 countries and are used by two… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unilever reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unilever CEO Paul Polman. All 663 reviews posted anonymously by Unilever employees.