Union Bank N.A.

Updated November 24, 2014
3.2

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka
Masashi Oka

Pros
  • Union Bank is a good place to work for where they value work-life balance and employee goals (in 25 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • As new senior management was brought into the ITG department, the morale has hit rock bottom (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management will use their level to intimidate (by using mind games) the folks below them (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Very favorable to the extent that I feel I may have made a mistake in switching jobs.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Security - Union has been careful about its acquisitions and entries into new markets. They are a stable, long term employer.
    Competitiveness within the marketplace - Union is able to price their products to be competitive as well as conservative to attract the best customers

Cons

Like many large organizations, Union Bank is highly structured. Decisions are hard to come by some of the time. It would be more efficient to delegate more authority to line units.

While the ownership is substantial it sometimes feels disconnected. I have worked for another foreign owned institution and noticed the same element.

Stay in tune with market salaries. There is a benefit to the stability of employment but the bank has lost a lot of young talent because of salaries. Better communication between executive management and management as well as management and staff. Again, this problem is typical especially in large financial institutions, but any progress will pay off.

Growing Pains

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time

Pros

Union Bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (Tokyo). As such, it's in a perpetual state of growth and transition. Advancement opportunities are greatest for those in corporate or leadership roles, but all employees have unparalleled access to career development and certification programs. Corporate culture is tied to performance-based recognition events throughout the year and community involvement. Union Bank has an active Foundation and excellent reputation within the community.

Cons

Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group consolidated its North and South American interests into MUFG Union Bank (NY). Communication is a huge area of opportunity and direction is often unclear as the company expands beyond its historically regional presence. Employees are continually expected to do more with less and this has a substantial impact on work/life balance. It's not uncommon to work through evenings, weekends, and even scheduled vacations. The benefits offering is also sub-par due to recent changes.

Exp was good.

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. as a contractor

Pros

flexible in work location, good work culture

Cons

Short term planning and no clear understanding on long term budget management

Great company

Former Employee - Teller in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Riverside, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management was nice and when you put in time you get to set your own schedule. Picked up shifts from other people.

Cons

Sometimes they asked too much of us. Can only do so much in 4 hours.

Not the bank I started working for in 2010.

Former Employee - Branch Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Branch Service Specialist

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were great when I first started. Pay was decent for a first time professional.

Cons

I filled in for my Branch Service Manager for four months while she was out on leave. My Branch Manager told me she would not be returning and he promised me her job as well as her quarterly bonus. When they finally posted the position, he told me they were going to bring someone else from another branch. He didn't even let me interview. I felt taken advantage of. I was lied to for four months and I worked as a manager without being compensated for it.

Talk to the staff before you promote someone. See what they are like to work with on a day to day basis. After another staff member was brought in to take the position I was promised, I helped out at her branch because they were in need of help. They all said horrible things about the woman who had just been promoted. The Branch Manager actually said he "got rid of the problem". The staff didn't know anything. I had to train them quickly in one day. Stop bringing in upper management from other larger banks. You are changing the morale of the employees. Union Bank used to be an amazing company to work for and now it's just like any other bank. Leaving was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Run away!!

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

All downside, hostile work environment

Cons

This bank is a total mess. No one can make a decision, even on the on the most trivial requests. Senior management expects champagne results on a beer budget. Overall, most employees are very unhappy and looking for new jobs or talking about quitting. The technology this bank has is completely out of date ( hello, IE 8). If you are looking for a bank that wants to make things happen for you clients, look elsewhere!

Sell the bank to a well run company, like Wells or US Bank

Lots of potential, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Branch manager was awesome!!!! Benefits are great!!! Still offers a pension

Cons

Extreme disconnect with upper management! Lots of talk with not much action. Northern region in the greater Sacramento area is the red headed step child of the conman.

Open your eyes and stop playing bank executive!!!! Get to know your employees and listen to them. Almost every employee is unhappy there and has nothing good to say about the company. Keep your employees happy and stand beside them not over them and you will see a great work environment and the bank you strive to be!

Mixed

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

It's very customer focused but not so much employees focus

Cons

They tend to make promotions hard.

Promote from within

going thru a merger-not so pleasant

Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent commute, good hours. I like working in Jersey City

Cons

extremely short staffed. The people I work with are horrible

replace people when they resign -it's not fair to the staff

Fantastic culture and a lot of upside

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Benefits package has got to be one of the most competitive out there. They are very solid on 401k as well as still offering a pension plan. There were also just a bunch of little perks that popped up here and there.
    Great culture and friendly people
    A lot of upside as they seek to grow and expand across the country
    IT was great: I don't know if I was just lucky to not face a lot of IT issues, but the few I had were resolved quickly and efficiently.

Cons

The expansion seems like it is moving along a little slowly. They are Japanese owned which means they tend to be very cautious, which can be a good thing to an extent but also makes it so that some initiatives take forever to implement.

Union Bank N.A. Photos