Union Bank N.A. Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka
Masashi Oka

Pros
  • Union Bank is a good place to work for where they value work-life balance and employee goals (in 24 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will use their level to intimidate (by using mind games) the folks below them (in 16 reviews)

• As new senior management was brought into the ITG department, the morale has hit rock bottom (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Very favorable to the extent that I feel I may have made a mistake in switching jobs.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Security - Union has been careful about its acquisitions and entries into new markets. They are a stable, long term employer.
    Competitiveness within the marketplace - Union is able to price their products to be competitive as well as conservative to attract the best customers

Cons

Like many large organizations, Union Bank is highly structured. Decisions are hard to come by some of the time. It would be more efficient to delegate more authority to line units.

While the ownership is substantial it sometimes feels disconnected. I have worked for another foreign owned institution and noticed the same element.

Stay in tune with market salaries. There is a benefit to the stability of employment but the bank has lost a lot of young talent because of salaries. Better communication between executive management and management as well as management and staff. Again, this problem is typical especially in large financial institutions, but any progress will pay off.

Exp was good.

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. as a contractor

Pros

flexible in work location, good work culture

Cons

Short term planning and no clear understanding on long term budget management

Great company

Former Employee - Teller in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Riverside, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management was nice and when you put in time you get to set your own schedule. Picked up shifts from other people.

Cons

Sometimes they asked too much of us. Can only do so much in 4 hours.

Lots of potential, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Branch manager was awesome!!!! Benefits are great!!! Still offers a pension

Cons

Extreme disconnect with upper management! Lots of talk with not much action. Northern region in the greater Sacramento area is the red headed step child of the conman.

Open your eyes and stop playing bank executive!!!! Get to know your employees and listen to them. Almost every employee is unhappy there and has nothing good to say about the company. Keep your employees happy and stand beside them not over them and you will see a great work environment and the bank you strive to be!

Fantastic culture and a lot of upside

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Benefits package has got to be one of the most competitive out there. They are very solid on 401k as well as still offering a pension plan. There were also just a bunch of little perks that popped up here and there.
    Great culture and friendly people
    A lot of upside as they seek to grow and expand across the country
    IT was great: I don't know if I was just lucky to not face a lot of IT issues, but the few I had were resolved quickly and efficiently.

Cons

The expansion seems like it is moving along a little slowly. They are Japanese owned which means they tend to be very cautious, which can be a good thing to an extent but also makes it so that some initiatives take forever to implement.

Very Good

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

People there are all friendly

Cons

The bank is relatively small

Good college job to survive without being pressured to become a full time banker.

Former Employee - Teller in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay with little to no experience, relatively easy job sitting indoors with Air Conditioning, free coffee, very nice and old school environment.

Cons

Micro-management since there are so many different levels above being a teller.

going thru a merger-not so pleasant

Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent commute, good hours. I like working in Jersey City

Cons

extremely short staffed. The people I work with are horrible

replace people when they resign -it's not fair to the staff

Zero leadership, DIY approach to everything, committed to mediocrity

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with tremendously nice people and have found it to be common thread throughout the bank. Compensation is decent. Training is so-so but it is encouraged wherever you can get it.

Cons

Nothing works like it should in this organization. Just getting small tasks done -- such as ordering supplies or a computer or whatever -- is a royal pain because of the 1990's platforms and applications in place. Corporate Directory isn't even correct, so you can't find people when you need help. Japanese culture rotates CEO every three years or so and as a result, the CEO's emphasis is on making Tokyo happy rather than building a great culture, listening to employees, or truly improving the organization beyond making it more profitable. The Retail arm is run by a bunch of monkeys with more ego than intelligence, so it's little wonder the retail biz is floundering. Every department is its own silo because leadership at the highest levels doesn't know how to look at the big picture. It's a joke to think that this bank will ever be in the Top Ten (which is its aspiration). It can't get out of its own way. It does an employee survey every year but hides the majority of the results from the employees because employees always lambaste management -- and then the bank states the same goals every year in "response" to the survey results. In other words, it pretends to care what employees are saying but in fact, it does not care at all. Actually, it doesn't know how to change.

Stop talking *at* employees and instead, take a good look at everything that's broken (and there is A LOT that's broken), then actually *do* something to improve

PNW SRB

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great base salary. The people are great and they want to have superb customer service. Products are very customer driven and the team prides itself on making recommendations based on the clients best interest first.

Cons

Came to UB because of a promise of advancement and found that they were all lies. Benefits are horrible. Tell you what you want to hear with no follow through. Becoming a good old boys club. If you are not in the club you get no love. Horrible home loan process. Must have a 723 FICO or better in order to be considered for a loan.

Be truthful. Stop with the corporate monologue and if you don't plan to promote tell us.... We will just were they will. Get better loan processes or ease up on the goals because people with 800 FICO and $350,000 on deposit don't always want loans...... And these loans when we do get then take 60-90 days to close. My clients deserve better then that.

Union Bank N.A. Photos