Union Bank N.A.

Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka
Masashi Oka

Pros
  • Union Bank is a good place to work for where they value work-life balance and employee goals (in 24 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will use their level to intimidate (by using mind games) the folks below them (in 16 reviews)

• As new senior management was brought into the ITG department, the morale has hit rock bottom (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Very favorable to the extent that I feel I may have made a mistake in switching jobs.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Security - Union has been careful about its acquisitions and entries into new markets. They are a stable, long term employer.
    Competitiveness within the marketplace - Union is able to price their products to be competitive as well as conservative to attract the best customers

Cons

Like many large organizations, Union Bank is highly structured. Decisions are hard to come by some of the time. It would be more efficient to delegate more authority to line units.

While the ownership is substantial it sometimes feels disconnected. I have worked for another foreign owned institution and noticed the same element.

Stay in tune with market salaries. There is a benefit to the stability of employment but the bank has lost a lot of young talent because of salaries. Better communication between executive management and management as well as management and staff. Again, this problem is typical especially in large financial institutions, but any progress will pay off.

Exp was good.

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. as a contractor

Pros

flexible in work location, good work culture

Cons

Short term planning and no clear understanding on long term budget management

Great company

Former Employee - Teller in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Riverside, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management was nice and when you put in time you get to set your own schedule. Picked up shifts from other people.

Cons

Sometimes they asked too much of us. Can only do so much in 4 hours.

Good college job to survive without being pressured to become a full time banker.

Former Employee - Teller in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay with little to no experience, relatively easy job sitting indoors with Air Conditioning, free coffee, very nice and old school environment.

Cons

Micro-management since there are so many different levels above being a teller.

Lots of potential, poor management

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Branch manager was awesome!!!! Benefits are great!!! Still offers a pension

Cons

Extreme disconnect with upper management! Lots of talk with not much action. Northern region in the greater Sacramento area is the red headed step child of the conman.

Open your eyes and stop playing bank executive!!!! Get to know your employees and listen to them. Almost every employee is unhappy there and has nothing good to say about the company. Keep your employees happy and stand beside them not over them and you will see a great work environment and the bank you strive to be!

going thru a merger-not so pleasant

Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent commute, good hours. I like working in Jersey City

Cons

extremely short staffed. The people I work with are horrible

replace people when they resign -it's not fair to the staff

Not what it used to be. Turning into WF.

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The knowledge and culture of the employees who have been there for over 10 years and their willingness to help their colleagues.

Cons

They got rid of pension plan and other benefits. Turning into WF. Management keeps on shifting direction as Pres/CEO changes every 3-4 years. The culture has changed for the worse. Top performers and best employees leaving.

Fantastic culture and a lot of upside

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Benefits package has got to be one of the most competitive out there. They are very solid on 401k as well as still offering a pension plan. There were also just a bunch of little perks that popped up here and there.
    Great culture and friendly people
    A lot of upside as they seek to grow and expand across the country
    IT was great: I don't know if I was just lucky to not face a lot of IT issues, but the few I had were resolved quickly and efficiently.

Cons

The expansion seems like it is moving along a little slowly. They are Japanese owned which means they tend to be very cautious, which can be a good thing to an extent but also makes it so that some initiatives take forever to implement.

Very Good

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

People there are all friendly

Cons

The bank is relatively small

Good company to work for with opportunity for career growth

Current Employee - Vice President, Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Finance in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for if you looking for career growth and lots of change. Depending on your position and manager, you may have flexible work options including telecommuting. The bank has a strong leadership team and they communicate regularly to all employees on company-wide conference calls. There is 401(k) matching, educational reimbursements, participation in WageWorks, and the cost of the medical benefits feels to be on par with other banks. There is a good internal career site that is updated frequently and a published list of bankwide guidelines that help create a common basis for performance reviews.

Cons

Although there is currently many career growth opportunities within the company, company policy limits how much your salary can increase per pay grade preventing internal candidates to fully realize the market rates for their skill sets. This creates frictional unemployment and causes an outflow of talented people. Also, 401(k) matching could greater to be on par with other financial institutions.

I think we would like more opportunities to meet and hear career stories from upper management, even if its in a large group setting.

Union Bank N.A. Photos