Union Bank N.A.

Updated January 29, 2015
3.1

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka
Masashi Oka

Pros
  • Union Bank is a good place to work for where they value work-life balance and employee goals (in 25 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • As new senior management was brought into the ITG department, the morale has hit rock bottom (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management will use their level to intimidate (by using mind games) the folks below them (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

good work environment for employees

Cons

no reason at all complain

Always a chance to learn

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

You have the ability to grow within the company. Also provides you flexable schedules.

Cons

There is a big time commitment at first. Although I work part time, I had to commit full time for two weeks which got be behind in school.

Strong conservative bank

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees have a balanced home / work life. Except IT. They work long ridiculous hours. But at least they get paid well.

Cons

Bank is very conservative and beauracratic. Don't expect innovation. IT bogs down the entire bank.

Good job while you're in school

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Placentia, CA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Placentia, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are in school, they really work with your schedule so it works out.They have many oppurtunities to move up in the company but you must be willing hard to get there.

Cons

They don't take sales lightly. If you can't reach your sales on a weekly basis you are constantly being coached.

Overall Very Nice

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. part-time

Pros

It's pretty easy to advance within the company. It's very "family like" in its branches. You get quite a bit of freedom. This bank has many good products which makes them easy to sell. If you want to move up, and they see potential in you, they will help quite a bit. Good pay compared to other banks. Although the bank is small, it seems it has a lot of potential to become nationwide, meaning it's a good company to grow with.

Cons

Although it's easy to move up, it takes a WHILE. All tellers start at 20 hours, and more hours are somewhat difficult to pick up. After a year of being a teller, one may move to another position after training. Training is lacking, for the most part you are thrown directly into action as opposed to extensive training, which probably isn't the best when you deal with others' money. It's a small bank, only located in three states, so many customers are returning clients, making it slightly difficult for referring.

The only advice to management would definitely be to invest harder in training for EVERY title. The only thing I noticed standing Union Bank out from other banks is the lack of extensive training for bankers and tellers alike. It's fine to learn from mistakes, but probably not when dealing with ones finances.

Meh.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Good benefits/insurance, banking holidays off.

Cons

No growth, and it looks like they're going to close this place. They've let people go, canceled a planned 2 million dollar renovation of our building, and everybody is watching over their shoulders. I believe the writing is on the wall.

Ok with the right manager

I have been working at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Conservative bank that appreciates non revenue generating lines of business such as risk, compliance, and regulatory work. Thats pretty rare to see.

Cons

Organizational heiarchy is huge and most employees are heiarchially sensitive. The bank can benefit from by being more flat and more productive rather than working in silos, duplicating work, etc just to move on "up".

See my cons comment

Overall, A nice place to work

Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in Seattle, WA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

work life balance is nice here, there is always a push for sales, but it is balanced with customer service. communication with upper management is easy. Nice base salary, giving is huge in the company and so is community service. Health insurance for the employee start from day 1 and are paid by the company 100%, the family is added after 30 days I believe, and they pay for life insurance to match your salary at no cost to the employee. Executive management is consistently asking for feedback from the teams.

Cons

Very few cons, this is a nice company to work for. The majority of the marketing is done for California and if you work in the PNW it is almost like an after thought. Bonus is there, but you have to get loans booked to make money & loans are hard to get approved. lack of locations

I only gave a negative outlook because of the branch closures happening now. Once it gets closer to new offices opening, the outlook could be very good. I do not look back on my time at UB with any regret. Keep up the good things & continue getting feedback from your teams.

There are plenty of job opportunities within the company with its acquisitions and merger.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Monterey Park, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Monterey Park, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A. (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent atmosphere to work with and employees always provided utmost respect and services to fellow employees.

Cons

The downsizing parts of course but it's the nature of the business to make the company most profitable for shareholders.

Upper management continuously communicated with employees the upcoming business movements good or bad and reminded to provide excellent goods and services to customers.

Excellent Interning Experience

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

Very involved with Senior Level Positions and assisting their work

Cons

no relocation funds for internship

Union Bank N.A. Photos