Union Bank N.A.

Union Bank N.A. Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka

Masashi Oka

Pros
  • benefits,opportunity to grow, work life balance, work at home option policy (in 22 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of senior management is top notch - very few bad eggs (in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't always listen to ideas/opinions of their employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing more rewarding than a bank who invests into their own people.

Branch Service Specialist (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe bank tries hard to invest into their own people by providing professional training, seminars, and mentors. Unlike other top retail banks, Union Bank gives opportunities to their own qualified employee's first before anyone else. Things like community involvement, philanthropy, and volunteering is required for every employee who works of the bank. In addition, the networking atmosphere and the company's intranet is what differentiates this bank amongst the other competitors.

ConsOne drawback about Union Bank is that it doesn't formally train their employee's for any sort of certifications. Six Sigma, Financial series, and NMLS certified are the only licenses/certifications I can think that the bank offers/reimburses. Things like getting you Project Management License, technical computer licenses, or any formal training is not offered off the top of my head.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more training avenues for the employee's and allow a better internship program for rising college students working in the bank.

Good place to start as graduate

Summer Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosopportunities to learn, friendly environment

ConsLimited room for promotion and advance

God salary and benefits - very hierarchal culture

ProsGood salary and benefits. Fast paced working environment. There is a strong commitment to Social Responsibility. Leaders support environmental responsibility. Acknowledged for diversity.

ConsBusiness divisions operate in individual silos and territorial. Employees are not empowered to make decisions. Organization is very hierarchal. Old technology impairs efficiencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the technological infrastructure. Empower employees more. Improve communication across the organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A growing bank on the West Coast.

Teller (Current Employee) Hesperia, CA

ProsThe benefits were good. Training was excellent and constant. There's ample opportunity to move up if you have the ambition. Lot's of money to be made in this industry.

ConsThe job was boring! There's a big emphasis on sales, but that's how banking goes. I personally quickly became jaded with my job because it was very redundant. This killed my ambition and I just didn't care to try to move up through the industry. There's lots of money to be made in banking, but it's just not the industry that I want to make a career in.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your facilities! Walking through the door of the branch where I worked was like walking through a time machine. Clean, modern buildings give the impression that a bank is stable and pays a lot of attention to detail. Run-down buildings give the impression you don't give a poop.

Branch Service Officer

ProsConstantly to trying to keep the technology updated which is great, great opportunities.

ConsHeavy workload in some departments.

The week Union Bank bought the bank I worked for, they told us if we did not work at a branch then we would probably get

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThey let us know way in advance that we would be laid off

ConsBesides being laid off, they were very segmented. Often the right hand did not seem to know what the left hand was doing., or you heard that is not my department a lot.

Changes changes changes

Analyst (Current Employee)

Prosnew revitalized culture, good amount of time off,

Consold technology and still hanging on to a lot of legacy systems, not much internal hiring for new positions since merger

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits are very mediocre.

Lead Software Engineer

ProsMy Existing group is easy to work with but it is changing as upper management has changed and they tend to micro-managing everybody. Technical exposure is good.

ConsNo Work Life balance. Upper Management sucks. No training provided to exsiting employees to grow with in company

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no work life balance here. Company needs to start caring about people to retain them.

Management pays an important role for your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monterey Park, CA

ProsMonterey Park office is close to Costco, Walmart, and supermarkets, etc. So you can run errant during lunch time...

ConsLeadership is really lacking. You can be very busy running around doing "work" for your boss but you get no time to work on your real job, or you need to do your job during your own time...

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and work load should be proportional

Exciting and growing organization! Great place to work!

ProsGrowing organization
    Lots of opportunity
    Great communication from senior management

ConsBudget constraints at times were limiting

Worked for Union Bank N.A.? Contribute to the Community!