Union Bank N.A. Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated August 4, 2014

3.1

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka
Masashi Oka

Pros
  • benefits,opportunity to grow, work life balance, work at home option policy (in 22 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of senior management is top notch - very few bad eggs (in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't always listen to ideas/opinions of their employees (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nothing more rewarding than a bank who invests into their own people.

Current Employee - Branch Service Specialist  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Service Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. part-time for less than a year

Pros

The bank tries hard to invest into their own people by providing professional training, seminars, and mentors. Unlike other top retail banks, Union Bank gives opportunities to their own qualified employee's first before anyone else. Things like community involvement, philanthropy, and volunteering is required for every employee who works of the bank. In addition, the networking atmosphere and the company's intranet is what differentiates this bank amongst the other competitors.

Cons

One drawback about Union Bank is that it doesn't formally train their employee's for any sort of certifications. Six Sigma, Financial series, and NMLS certified are the only licenses/certifications I can think that the bank offers/reimburses. Things like getting you Project Management License, technical computer licenses, or any formal training is not offered off the top of my head.

Offer more training avenues for the employee's and allow a better internship program for rising college students working in the bank.

Sr. Relationship Banker

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Banker  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment. Company and upper management really care about the employees. Good health care and 401K benefits. Has a good work/life balance. Pays higher salary compared to other banks.

Cons

Does not do a well job of promoting from within. Because of the small size of company it can be difficult to excel in career and at times may need to relocate due to position. Took away pension plan which was offered in the past. Company always going through changes with lots of employee changes.

Work on your internal employees and advance their career by promoting within and offering more training to excel the employees into higher positions to follow their career path.

SRB

Former Employee - SRB  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - SRB in San Jose, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

10 minutes to get to work

Cons

This bank is a complete joke. The business model is based on cold-calling/canvassing hoping for a miracle that someone will actually do business with us. Ironically even if we win their business and they apply for a loan, there is a great chance it will be declined for the most stupid reasons: credit report shows late payment on a gas card 3 years ago OR not having enough income (even tho they have $500k deposit and the loan is only $200k), Incidently, declined borrowers have no problem getting loans elsewhere with better rates/fees. Even employees get their loans from other banks because they get better deal.

There seems to be an endless amount of new forms to complete for tracking sales. Not to mention endless conference calls to discuss sales and best practices where the SRBs just bs everything. I worked for other banks and i don't recall one conference call. When someone makes a credit card sale, it's celebrated and emailed to all the bankers. Ironically, for a bank that's been around for 150 years, it doesn't have it's own credit card department.

The products are inferior to other banks' products. The company is delusional about the bank being the best. Why would someone open a checking account with union bank with same fees/requirements like Wells/chase/BofA when our locations are very limited, almost non-existent compared to the real banks? Nobody cares about the stupid slogan, "doing right, it's just good business" .

The technology is inferior and non-intuitive. It seems like the company grabbed a bunch of high school students to develop it with no insight of how banking works. When WAMU left the banking world, union bank should've bought their technology. The turnover for SRBS is very high but they don't care. We're all expendable.

Marketing team. What marketing team??? Where are the tv commercials so people will recognize us?? We have radio ads that are ineffective. The marketing team are branch employees going around businesses like Jehovah's Witnesses. And like Jehovah's Witnesses, we are annoying.

Upper management will use their level to intimidate (by using mind games) the folks below them. Someday this pretend bank will be out of business.

Hey Management, read my above review.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Current Employee - Senior Teller  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Teller in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Union Bank N.A. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provide great training for tellers. Part time positions have flexible work schedule great for students.

Cons

No opportunities for growth. Entry level positions have low annual pay increase.

Their specialty lending groups are great places to work

Former Employee - Vice President  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA

I worked at Union Bank N.A.

Pros

The people. All the professionals in the specialty lending groups were consistently bright and fun to work with. They hired the best, as evidenced by the high percentage of employees who would receive job offers from customers.

Cons

Occasionally you would get the manager who was more focused on internal politics/posturing than on productivity. These types were usually hired in from other banks and (thankfully) didn't last long.

You have a formula that works and have maintained an exceptional corporate culture. However, outside hires at SVP+ level positions have tended to dilute Union Bank's standard of excellence.

Worked for Union Bank N.A.? Contribute to the Community!