Union Bank N.A.

Union Bank N.A. Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Union Bank N.A. President & CEO Masashi Oka

Masashi Oka

Pros
  • benefits,opportunity to grow, work life balance, work at home option policy(in 22 reviews)

• Very good benefits with exception of their health insurance, which it is extremely expensive(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of senior management is top notch - very few bad eggs(in 14 reviews)

• Upper Management doesn't always listen to ideas/opinions of their employees(in 14 reviews)

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company

Senior Teller (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsProvide great training for tellers. Part time positions have flexible work schedule great for students.

ConsNo opportunities for growth. Entry level positions have low annual pay increase.

SRB

SRB (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros10 minutes to get to work

ConsThis bank is a complete joke. The business model is based on cold-calling/canvassing hoping for a miracle that someone will actually do business with us. Ironically even if we win their business and they apply for a loan, there is a great chance it will be declined for the most stupid reasons: credit report shows late payment on a gas card 3 years ago OR not having enough income (even tho they have $500k deposit and the loan is only $200k), Incidently, declined borrowers have no problem getting loans elsewhere with better rates/fees. Even employees get their loans from other banks because they get better deal.

There seems to be an endless amount of new forms to complete for tracking sales. Not to mention endless conference calls to discuss sales and best practices where the SRBs just bs everything. I worked for other banks and i don't recall one conference call. When someone makes a credit card sale, it's celebrated and emailed to all the bankers. Ironically, for a bank that's been around for 150 years, it doesn't have it's own credit card department.

The products are inferior to other banks' products. The company is delusional about the bank being the best. Why would someone open a checking account with union bank with same fees/requirements like Wells/chase/BofA when our locations are very limited, almost non-existent compared to the real banks? Nobody cares about the stupid slogan, "doing right, it's just good business" .

The technology is inferior and non-intuitive. It seems like the company grabbed a bunch of high school students to develop it with no insight of how banking works. When WAMU left the banking world, union bank should've bought their technology. The turnover for SRBS is very high but they don't care. We're all expendable.

Marketing team. What marketing team??? Where are the tv commercials so people will recognize us?? We have radio ads that are ineffective. The marketing team are branch employees going around businesses like Jehovah's Witnesses. And like Jehovah's Witnesses, we are annoying.

Upper management will use their level to intimidate (by using mind games) the folks below them. Someday this pretend bank will be out of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementHey Management, read my above review.

Their specialty lending groups are great places to work

Vice President (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe people. All the professionals in the specialty lending groups were consistently bright and fun to work with. They hired the best, as evidenced by the high percentage of employees who would receive job offers from customers.

ConsOccasionally you would get the manager who was more focused on internal politics/posturing than on productivity. These types were usually hired in from other banks and (thankfully) didn't last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a formula that works and have maintained an exceptional corporate culture. However, outside hires at SVP+ level positions have tended to dilute Union Bank's standard of excellence.

Worked for Union Bank N.A.? Contribute to the Community!