Union Beer Distributors

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy Sheehan

Union Beer is a good company but they work their sales reps too hard.

Deli/Bodega Sales Representative (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsFree beer, occasional beer tastings and brewery presentations.

ConsWork life balance while going through training. I was consistently told it gets better once you become a full time rep but I could never see myself completing a route within a reasonable amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on sales rep work life balance.

Lots of opportunity, but, management could be better!

CDL Route Truck Driver (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsLots of overtime to make extra money.

ConsManagement don't take time to know their employees and their hard work, and compensate them accordingly, always pushing, pushing, pushing. The job already does that for them, why them too?

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees, their each individual value, got a lot of family men's that are hardworking and dedicated and are being forced out because of mistreat.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt provides a base salary, gas stipend and (bonuses*)

ConsLabor laws are frequently and repeatedly overlook, verbal abuse from direct supervisor are a daily occurrence, Unpaid overtime is strongly encouraged

Advice to Senior Managementpick up a copy of the NY state labor laws and actually read it! Offer more support to your sales people from the chains and deli departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had a good experience working at Union. Employees were always treated well, very professional.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI learned a lot about the industry and products. Sales training was good and applicable to other industries. Internal growth opportunities.

ConsThe amount of work was not fairly compensated. Bonus structure was unrealistic and difficult to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus structure should be restructured to be achievable to motivate stronger sales. Management should look to provide fair balance between hours worked and hourly salary.

Not a bad job but could be better

Night Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThis company has good benefits and pay in on par with the industry standard. The lack of established processes could lead to opportunities for the aspiring manager willing to undertake the development of such processes.

ConsThis is a transportation job/ company that lacks the necessary processes in place to insure a smooth running operation. This company puts great products in the marketplace but does so in the most disorganized fashion I've seen in almost 15 years in the industry. There needs to be a top down initiative to bolster existing processes and create new ones to improve efficiency because there is no valid reason that it should take 14 hours in some cases to get the nightly tasks accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good long look at what processes are broken or ineffective on the administrative side. These processes directly effect the operations.

It starts off great, then sucks.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros1. Free beer
    2. Become a part of the bar and restaurant scene in NYC
    3. Sell great product

Cons1. Style of management is forwarding emails from bosses and then asking you about them 2 weeks later.
    2. Always adding new obligations and non-commissioned responsibilities
    3.Upper management fratty, and career advancement is limited if you are not one of the guys.
    4.Known problems and issues are ignored, expected to "deal with it"
    5. Job is a grind, never good enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit acting like you know what a rep's job is like. The myriad of new policies, standards and procedures, competition, and issues make the position incomparable now to when you had it.

No job Security for anyone but top Mgt.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCool Products
    Respected as best Beer Distributor

ConsFired at Drop of a Hat
    Incompetent Area Managers

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a sense of loyalty
    Follow through with your promises

Stressful, can be rewarding if you put in 100%.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsBetter paid out of other beer distribution companies. Lots of incentives to make money. Fun, creative atmosphere. Plan out your own days.

ConsPoor work / life balance. You can put in your own hours but will never get anything done. High turnover rate but that is with any industry involving sales.

Lack of direction from management at times.

Salesmen (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Pros-good start offpay
    -monday- friday job
    -some room for advancement
    -learn about the beer industry
    -they have great products

Cons-communication skills lacking from supervisors
    -long hours
    -task a toll on your car from all the city driving.
    -sometimes left in the dark

The beer industry can be fun

Sales Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe beer industry can be a lot of fun, particularly if you are interested in beer. The hours are pretty standard, as in 9am-5:30pm, with some variation depending on where you work in the company. Pay is average, commensurate with the strenuousness of the work. (Most of the work isn't too hard.) The people tend to be easygoing, sociable folks.

ConsBeer distribution is certainly not an industry to enter into if you are hoping to get rich quickly. In order to make over $100,000 you would need to log around 10 years I would say. Starting salaries are in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. Also, beer distribution is not, for the most part, an intellectually rigorous field. Most of the office work is administrative.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership at Union Beer is solid. The guys (and beer distribution is dominated by men) really know what they are doing and have positioned Union as one of the premiere distributors in the NYC area. If you want to work in beer distribution, I would do it at Union.

Worked for Union Beer Distributors? Contribute to the Community!