Union Electric Steel

Updated Apr 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert G. Carothers

Great company to work for!

Carnegie, PA

ProsGood benefits, pension and working conditions. Company is making great strides in continuous improvement. Management treats all levels of employees fairly.

ConsDress code is a little dated as compared other company's today.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive the culture change for continuous improvement. There are a lot of positive changes taking place!

The Titanic has just left port...

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsDecent hourly pay, OK insurance....that's about it

ConsManagement that continually have their heads up their rears. They continually lie and treat their employees like crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementIcebergs ahead! I really dont think management cares. They seem to only care how much money they make and how much they can screw over their employees that make that money for them.

falling apart

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
    Carnegie, PA

ProsIf your machine is broken you can go take a nap

Consequipment is band-aided together- maintenance is a joke
    communication

Advice to Senior ManagementAmpco needs to put the For Sale sign up

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I see some upper management reviews on here, including one from the highest in Carnegie.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking here will give you experience to go elsewhere.It maybe a job close to home for some, and they built new, or remodeled locker rooms. If you're in the union your hourly wage isn't too bad.

ConsIf you like to be laid off this is the place for you. The company is in a tail spin and upper management isn't qualified to stop it. Someone the upper floor of the headquarters was heard saying, we don't make rolls, we make money. As proof from an email from an unhappy business associate in the Asian- pacific rim that stated "your rolls have always occurred some problems including defects on the surfaces, dimensions and hardness". These repaired rolls, the purpose for the email,were supposed to ship at the end of the order, but if the company was going to be penalized for missing a shipment then they were to be shipped anyway. It seems the philosophy was gone from quality above all else to quantity above quality. The employees have to pay for part of their healthcare which isn't that great, as well as a deductible, after the parent company, Ampco Pittsburgh, makes net profits in the 10's of millions of dollars,for a corporation that employs no more than 1500 people. The pension is far from good after 20 years a person at the Harmon Creek or Carnegie plants doesn't even earn $1,000 a month, and they won't allow you to roll it over when you leave. By the way, someone at Ampco gets over $20,000 a month, yes a month, from the same pension fund. I was there long enough to know it no place to stay, and I was there for a good many years. You won't know how poorly you're treated until you leave, as they aren't willing to share the wealth, or anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't listen, you live in a dream world where you are all " Big Steel" executives. If you would've listened the company would be in the shape it's in.

supervisor

Supervisor - Programmer (Former Employee)
    Turtle Creek, PA

Proswage was not bad and paid overtime when the company decided to pay it.

Consshift work. called 21 turns. you would work 7 daylight 4 days off 7 afternoon shifts with 2 days off 7 midnight shifts with 1 day off. basically 1 weekend off a month and days off were during the week. upper management would not back supervisors. they would stop paying overtime to supervisors when they decided to without warning. they would just do it.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your supervisors better than what you do. after all they make it happen on the floor while you sit in your office

Good company to work for, profitable, provides good pay and very good benefits.

Carnegie, PA

ProsGood pay, great benefits including pension! and reasonable-cost medical insurance. Work-life balance is good especially when compared to other manufacturing firms. Benefits and perks have not been stripped out as with previous employers. Managers are open to making changes to improve the business.

ConsMany employees have worked here their entire 30-40 year careers and have no idea of how other companies operate or how good they have it. Late to the game in focusing on safety and operational efficiencies, but improvements are evident.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working to engage all levels of the organization. Take the time to recognize the efforts of employees when they go "above and beyond".

set up to fail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Carnegie, PA

Prosthere are some limited opportunities for advancement.

Consweak business strategy, out of touch management, over the top workplace politics, needless safety risks, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has no concept how of to appreciate or develop an individual. Unless you meet the personality characteristics of some members of management you have no future with the company and are eventually forced out. workplace politics are intolerable. no one should be treated the way that this company treats people. the core mission statements are completley abandoned. the outlook is dire for union electric.

N/a

MACHINE OPER (Current Employee)
    Carnegie, PA

ProsGood pay and good healthcare

ConsPoorly managed. Don't listen to anyones ideas. Treat union guys like they are no one. Promote people for who they know not for what they know

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

No communication, no respect. Not a place for women.

Carnegie, PA

ProsI work in the plant, and it's a very laid-back environment. I know all the employees, and any time I have a question for a coworker, it get answered immediately. The level employees and lower level management are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. It's a very interesting place to work, and the technology and machining used is fascinating to watch.

ConsHeadquarters (directly across the street) makes decisions about processes used by the plant employees without talking to anyone who actually does that particular job. Any request for information from headquarters requires jumping through several hoops. There is only one women's bathroom in the entire plant, and it is used often by the men. Women, regardless of title, seem to be treated like secretaries.

When senior management (VPs and CEOs from headquarters) visit the plant, they do not acknowledge plant employees at all. Not even a hello or eye contact. I have never worked in a place where I was treated so rudely by senior management. I actually had one senior staff member walk into my office, look around, and walk out without ever acknowledging that there was a person (me) in the room.

I have never worked anywhere that had so many employees, including lower level management, looking for a better job. This is the lowest I've ever seen morale at any employer.

The company is laying off employees and production seems to be declining, but management continues to tell us that we're going to have a great year. It seems as if they don't even respect us enough to just come out and tell us the truth. If everything is going great, why are we laying off and letting go of so many people?

Finally, unless you are friends with someone in senior management, there is no opportunity for advancement. Every promotion I have seen has been given to someone who was friends with a VP or a CEO. Many of these advancements were given to people who are (according to the company's own standards) not qualified for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the people who actually DO the jobs before you make changes, not just the supervisors and superintendants. Have a little respect for your employees and at least say hello or smile when you're in the plant. Instead of only having meetings with supervisors, bring in the support staff. They have a lot of excellent ideas that are going to waste.

will be going down and taking Ampco Pittsburgh with it.

Carnegie, PA

ProsThe pay scale and benefits for union employees is really good. The company has been very inovative in the roll industry. The company is willing to invest mony back into the company as recently shown in all of the plants. A brand new forge press was recently installes at the Harmon Creek plant.

ConsManagement is going in the wrong direction. The man that is being set to take over in a very important position clearly is not qualified to do so based on his predecessors qualifications and his lack of experience in the roll business, to name just a few of many short comings. To further illustrate this point, management has recently placed a man in an important position that is believed to have only a two year degree from a technical school. The men that held this job in the past were metalurgist. Both salary and union employees have grave concerns about the future of the company, and it's ability to continue to compete successfully in this very competitive market.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to promoting from with in. It's a proven formula that has worked very well in the past,and one that has put us on top of the roll industry. This current path seems to be leading us to something we don't want to be, the next Weirton Steel or worse.

Worked for Union Electric Steel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Electric Steel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Union Electric Steel CEO Robert G. Carothers. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Union Electric Steel employees.