Union Pacific

Union Pacific Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Union Pacific President & CEO John J. Koraleski

John J. Koraleski

Pros:
  • "Good pay ok benefits but they are taking them year by year"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great pay and benefits if you can stand the politics"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life Balance can be tough sometimes with lots of travel"
    in 14 reviews
  • "After they hire you for a promised 40 hour work week they then tell you you're 24/7 and mean it"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

senior management must like your face; long over due for promotion

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat place to start, but most people finish where they started with this company

Consoperations manager is the worst place to start your career

I am the boss of the train to nowhere.

Railroad Conductor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

ProsGood pay.
Good benefits.
Varying work times.
Offers great scenery.

ConsNo respect from management.
Company completely disregards contracts with it's employees.
UP is gaining ground to one day you will only be allowed to take a sick day if you are qualified for FMLA.
Union protects lousy workers, that UP shouldn't of hired anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more from within. UP's entry level MYO jobs are being filled with fresh from school people who are completely lost (despite you giving them an eight hour "hands on" training day), and if it wasn't for the good trainmen who care about getting the job done your yards would come to a stop very quickly.

Great company. I am proud to work for Union Pacific.

Manager Terminal Operations (Current Employee)
North Platte, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany opportunities for advancement. You set your own limits. There are lots of different career paths that you can choose. You can train across different company functions if you want. The company encourages growth among its managers and rewards them for their hard work. At the end of a day, you can be proud of what has been accomplished.

ConsYou work hard for the pay. Plan on some long hours. We are a 24/7 operation and you will have to work all hours if you are in the field. Holidays and weekends are just another day out here. Plan to work in the elements if you are an operations employee.

Union Pacific has continually proven to me their support, care, and development of their employees.

I have been working at Union Pacific

ProsI feel UP cares about their employees through competitive salaries, reviews each 6 mo with potential for raises, excellent benefits, PENSION (for non-union jobs), and training and development opportunities. If you choose to have a positive attitude and strive to do well, you are recognized and rewarded.

ConsUnfortunately, there can be times you're in a job you don't like or you don't care for your manager. However, with such a large company you have the opportunity to apply for a different department and a different job. I was in a job that I didn't like, and I applied and received a new position. I am now at a place where I can say I love my job!

Advice to Senior ManagementI worry with changes in work styles with our younger generations, the schedule and lifestyle in our train crew and management careers will not stay appealing to younger people. If there are ways to evaluate a better work/life balance for those careers I feel that will help UP stay appealing to our youth.

Also, creating a more fun work environment. We are a big company but many youth aren't familiar with us. They are familiar with Google, Apple, and I feel part of that is the fun work environment they create. If we can find ways to make a more relaxed environment I feel it will help with employee satisfaction (more casual attire for example). I know the "fun" environment is a trend in the tech industry, but I feel it's a trend that works.

Great for College Students

Intern (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific part-time for more than a year

ProsBuilds Resume
Work with a Fortune 200 company
High pay for an internship role
Helpful management
Work around school schedule
Hours worked count towards potential benefits as an employee once you graduate(pension)

ConsVery Policy-Based company
Focus on the GPA of interns rather than the skill set
Interns can only work 25 hr/wk even if school schedule allows more, but during the summer you are allowed to work 40hr/wk

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your interns work hard - reward them!

Amazing company to work for!

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros* Excellent career advancement opportunities - you can go from one department to another to gain experience and knowledge.

* Top of the line retirement benefits - 401(k) with company match, pension, and Railroad Retirement instead of SSI.

* Outstanding headquarters building - great cafeteria, HUGE workout facility, a health clinic, pharmacy, covered parking, bank and daycare - all onsite!

Cons* Tough to get your foot in the door - there's lot of competition for every job.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within - build your bench and create our future leaders now!

Great Pay, Lot's of Hours

Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee)
Muskogee, OK

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay and benefits are great

ConsHours are long and you have swing shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore structure is needed for work hours.

Amazing pay. Plenty of room to advance career

I have been working at Union Pacific

ProsGreat benefits, great pay as long as your wiling to work for it. The hardest part of the job is to show up. The rest of the day is great pay for very minimal physical labor.
This company has endless possibilities for advancement in many different fields and trades (be prepared to relocate a couple times in your career if you choose to climb company ladder)
The U.P. Is one of the most strict railroads for rules compliance. Also one of the highest paying rail roads out there.

ConsNot normal hours. Working on call, never knowing when you might work ( u have a vague idea of when you MIGHT work, but every day is different)
Working the on call (extra board) is very difficult on your family and your social lives. But if you choose to make the big money, the extra board is where u work.
Seniority is EVERYTHING on the railroad. Work ethic and knowledge does not benefit you at all for getting better paying jobs. It's all by seniority

Some managers are so disillusioned about what the crews actually do, and how they do it, and what it takes to accomplish the task
Basically some managers are ok to deal with. But most are shady and egotistical and only
Looking to advance their own career. Which means they will do anything to find a rule violation to charge you with ( and put your job and salary on hold).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so political. Don't hire
People as mangers that have absolutely no clue about how to railroad, just because he knows the right people.
Don't lie straight to employees faces about pay issues. And why they stopped paying employees the money that our contract states we get paid for
Doing a specific job or task. And don't forget, the Union Pacific signed the union contract, which legally binds them to pay us.

Well paid internships with real world experience

Finance (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific as an intern for more than a year

ProsLarge internship program (hundreds throughout the Omaha HQ) that recruits heavily from local colleges
Competitive pay and opportunities for full time positions
Interns can perform the same tasks as entry level full time workers

ConsMentorship and growth opportunities vary between (internship) groups
Typical enterprise technology inertia (still upgrading some of the computers to Windows 7)
Finance has few intern social events compared to IT

My experience was a pleasant and educating one

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Union Pacific

ProsCompany pays good after training
The company is really big on safety
With some positions like the ones on the operational side, you have to really know your job

ConsThe only con I have is the location of the headquarters and the dispatch center. If you like a cold and fairly boring city then Omaha is for you. I just could not commit to relocating there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!

Union Pacific Videos

Union Pacific – Why Work for Us?

As a railroad, we can get just about anything from point A to point B. (As North America's largest railroad, we can get it to point Z, too.) But what's truly special about Union Pacific is the way we get the job done… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Pacific reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Union Pacific CEO John J. Koraleski. All 212 reviews posted anonymously by Union Pacific employees.