Union Pacific Reviews

332 reviews filtered by
3.4
Union Pacific President & CEO Lance Fritz
Lance Fritz

Pros
  • Good pay ok benefits but they are taking them year by year (in 31 reviews)

• Pay and benefits, but they come at a price (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of work life balance, its really is a 24 hour company (in 15 reviews)

• You will be on call 24/7 with ZERO days off and absolutely no schedule (in 26 reviews)

1. Very fast-paced and stressful but monetarily satisfying.

I have been working at Union Pacific

Pros

Great place to learn and develop one's skills.

Cons

Long hours and stressful environment.

Advice to Management

Ask questions and never stop learning.

2. Good pay, no work/life balance.

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

$$$, great benefits, excellent experience

Cons

Shift work, no work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for your employees.

3. Director - Strategic Sourcing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of responsibility, coordinations with Operating Dept

Cons

Lots of work and not enough people

Advice to Management

Hire more

5. Thru Freight Conductor

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, people, interesting, never boring. Conductors eventually promote to Engineer. The Trainmen/Engineer extra boards pay a guarantee of over $100k a year. Yard jobs pay less but offer a schedule and days off. Locals are in between, you leave the yard but are usually home every night. Some locals can pay VERY well and are usually reserved for the highest seniority employees.

Cons

Lifestyle, very little time at home, hard for the family. Jobs are based on seniority so your first couple of years are devoted to moving around to places where you can work. The job is somewhat dangerous and you MUST pay full attention when working. It's not a place for daydreaming. Managers seem to be more concerned with firing people rather than helping them.

Advice to Management

Help us do our jobs better instead of trying to fire us all the time!

6. Manager

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good overall leadership from top down. Company has good values. Company investment in infrastructure for better service now and into the future

Cons

HQ not located in a city many desire to live in

7. TE&Y

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Great pay, Great work environment

Cons

Long hours, On call, Sleep schedule

8. Manager of Yard Operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were great and the people were like family. It was a very welcoming environment that was conducive for learning.

Cons

Poor, poor, poor work life balance. No consistent schedule and extremely long hours. Also, inconsistent direction and vision.

9. You will get paid. Remember Daddy (Union) gets his cut.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Union Pacific as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The checks don't bounce. One of the few jobs out there where those with no skills/experience/education (Pick 1 or all) can make enough to support a family. Many love the pay but when one adds up all the hours on the train or away from home you are lucky to break $20/hour, this of course depends on your run/area. My advise is try to find a railroader ask them about the run/time off before taking a job. Sometimes you get lucky and work with a crew you really enjoy, it makes the trip shorter. Health benefits are still excellent but there are rumblings that they will be a major bargaining issue and may get gutted. The actual work itself isn't hard, stressful, but not hard. A portion truly love the job (10-25%). Safety, up to the point that it prevents the company from being sued is important.

Cons

Management is compartmentalized have no real purpose other to test and fire. They are very much like the government idiom, "We are here to help" they show up and then things get ridiculously messed up as many have no railroad experience. There is no schedule or any semblance of a schedule, you have a vague notion when you are supposed to work (+/-12 hours usually) so you are fixed at home and rarely get the chance to go anywhere/do anything that takes time. You will miss birthdays/dates/parties/sporting events, in essence the company believes that they own you completely. Don't forget a weekend to the railroad is Friday-Monday and sometimes Thursday, and every holiday is the day (or two) before and after the actual holiday. If you need a day off during these times you will have to lay off sick and/or get in trouble for attendance so while the rest of America generally gets 104 weekend days and 10+ holidays off, a new hire will get 2 personal leave days in compensation. The Union is completely ineffectual and is mostly used by officials as a method to have time off (or make money if one is high enough in the structure), and we all get to pay $100+ every month to give them that luxury. I understand how some people could drink the kool-aid, or have this as their best job ever, but frankly we are treated poorly, work every day, have zero time off, are never rested, and miss everything else life has to offer. I am a short puller and I hate it.

Advice to Management

They are the "Captain" from Cool Hand Luke; Captain: Don't you ever talk that way to me. NEVER! NEVER! What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
    I just wish they would stop being so good to me.

10. They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Steady paycheck, decent benefits and the work can be challenging and interesting. The retirement is good and my department hasn't had a layoff in the 20 years I've been here.

Cons

There is a major disconnect between senior management and the employees in the field. Senior management says one thing, but local managers ignore it and ostracize anyone that tries to follow the vision of the leadership

Advice to Management

Instead of creating dog and pony shows with your field visits I challenge you to get a realistic view of what is happening by showing up, unannounced, at 5 am to the shops and yards.

11. it was a great experience to learn about new machinery. It will help to understand that this job is dangerous

Former Employee - Groundsmen in Northlake, IL
    Former Employee - Groundsmen in Northlake, IL

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can take what you learned to other rail yards and that will help you climb the ladder

Cons

if you have plans cancel them because you will have no life after working this job