Union Pacific

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Union Pacific President & CEO John J. Koraleski
John J. Koraleski

Pros
  • Good pay ok benefits but they are taking them year by year (in 31 reviews)

• Pay and benefits, but they come at a price (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of work life balance, its really is a 24 hour company (in 15 reviews)

• You will be on call 24/7 with ZERO days off and absolutely no schedule (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

some good things, some bad things too

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I shouldn't really complain cause it's a very easy job. You can make decent money considering the amount or work required but the place is very poorly run. I guess the bar was set really low a long time ago.

Cons

It's a strange place. You'd probably never find another job like it. Starting at the top it's just one giant game of hot potato. Just pass it on to the next guy and hope you don't end up getting stuck with it. Nobody wants to be in charge or call the shots. They just want it to flow along with as little effort as possible. Then when it doesn't work out they play hot potato with the blame. Management caters to the ones who cry the loudest even when they're wrong because they don't want them to be mad. We are in the transition from local shop to major shop so they use that to their advantage. One day we are a "big" shop so we have to follow their policies but the next we are to small to follow those same policies. There's a lot of "fat" that should be trimmed but it's seniority based so they'd have to get rid of all the good employees before they got to the bad ones.

I know it's impossible to make everyone happy all the time but at least put some effort into trying to make the place function. People want action, not excuses. Just because the older guys got screwed years ago doesn't mean the newer guys should get screwed now. Just cause that's the way you did things years ago and it worked doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do it. Management needs to stop promoting the turmoil between the crafts because we are supposed to be a brotherhood and work together, not against each other

Great salary and benefits, stressful work encrobment

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, ability to move around within department groups, good salary, great retirement

Cons

Super stressful, work many long days/nights and weekends, lots of travel, hard to manage work/life, corporate environment

Good old boy culture.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary, great benefits and retirement. Mobility within groups is more flexible than more big companies. Some talented staff.

Cons

Tiny cog in a large machine syndrome. Individual work not likely to impact the company on a large scale. "Good old boy" culture is rampant and stifling.

If your employees are bored, you are doing something wrong.

Ok

Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits,career advancement , ability to go anyway. Benefits

Cons

Management doesn't care about the little people. They re all to busy trying to move up to omah

Cool job, terrible leadership.

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paychecks never bounce, decent pay, some overtime, health insurance, steady job, nice personal protective equipment, unique job, free wifi,

Cons

The goal of the mechanical department is not to repair and maintain locomotives, the goal is to make it look like they did. Pay close attention to the reviews of union pacific because the departments are drastically different. Managers and office people are in a whole different universe than the folks throwing switches and turning wrenches. The mechanical department employs craftspeople who work on the Locomotives: Electricians, Machinists (mechanics), Sheet metal workers (welders and pipefitters), and Laborers (MSO's or Fireman & Oilers). Unlike non-railroad union trades you pay for your healthcare and pension out of your check so subtract $5 an hour from whatever the current rates is and that's more realistic for calculating take home pay. The job training is laughable, most recently hired electricians have a construction background which doesn't translate well to locomotives. You will be put with a mentor who will teach you the wrong and quick way to do every task. The company has training instructors that hold official classes BUT they can only teach 3 to 5 people at a time for some unknown reason and all they do is show you a powerpoint. I received Locomotive familiarization class a few months after I had started working on locomotives which shows how much the company cares. You are going to be expected to do work you have no training for and then you will have to sign government documents saying you did it properly. Most of the tasks you do in the mechanical department are Federal Railroad Administration (government) required maintenance tasks. The company doesn't care about these things and the foreman and your fellow workers will encourage you to just sign off a lot of tasks without actually doing them. I have been yelled at by foreman for doing work properly because it was a waste of time. Following company and FRA rules is a waste of time to the mechanical department. Safety is stressed from day one but you will see by the pathetic facilities that it's just for show. The PPE is nice but locomotive blue flag lockout equipment is not adequate. Smoking and cell phones are not allowed even though people smoke everywhere and are always on their cell phones, in fact foreman and workers communicate exclusively with personal cellphones on the job even though it's against company policy to even have a phone on you at work. Working for UP is like a football game, the referees can call a penalty on every play if they really wanted to. The rule book is thick like a bible and open to managerial interpretation so no matter what you do you're probably doing something wrong. The company has completely incompetent leadership at every level. They claim to use the Toyota management model where every workers input and suggestions will be heard, but that is just not true. If you (the low level employee) sees a problem or an opportunity for improvement and you tell a manager or foreman the only response you will get is "put it in the solution center" (in a heavily condescending tone). Solution center is a computer program where you enter your suggestions and someone from management will get back to you. Do you know how many mechanics and electricians care enough to follow through this process? Not many, so things remain unpleasant. Tools and equipment remain broken for months because the system depends on the lowest level employee taking all the responsibility for improvement, it's not working UP.

Instead of hiring engineers (the kind that design bridges) fresh out of college to be mechanical department managers you should hire some people with business management degrees (or god forbid a regular crafts person with an associate degree) that actually knows how to do simple things like: Speak to subordinates like humans, introduce themselves, speak in front of a group, dress professionally, and talk with out using profanity. If employes literally scatter and run away from managers, like they do here in the mechanical department, then it should be obvious that your management technique is not working. We are all on the same team, this could be a fantastic job if we had better leadership. The goal of the mechanical department should be to fix and maintain locomotives instead of pretending to so the numbers look good.

Great company with good benefits

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company treats it's employees well and pays well. They have a family oriented work environment with reasonable expectations. Good training and supportive management. One of the few organizations that still have a solid retirement program - pension, not 401K, although they offer that too.

Cons

Plenty of politics as with any large company. Bureaucratic at times and highly focused on profits and reporting.

None

Running their people into the ground

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter

I have been working at Union Pacific

Pros

Money's good. Benefits are good. Retirement is amazing. Most of the people are friendly.

Cons

I'm not even sure where to start. I'm in HR, and it's frustrating to see all of the mismanagement and unfair treatment of employees. Our objectives will raise arbitrarily from one month to the next, but there is little to no support from management to achieve those goals. These arent small increments, either...our hiring goal for 2014 went from 3200 to nearly 6,000 in twelve months.

I've got co-workers contacting me every single day, either in tears or threatening to quit. Sometimes it's both. There are levels of stress that were previously unimaginable. Vacations are denies. Then we are scolded if we try to take our vacation at the end of the year. Also, nobody will let us carry over vacation days...so if we do not use them, we lose them.

Our managers try to help, but they ore overwhelmed to. God forbid there be some actual compensation for this extra work, either. WE get several "thank yous" from our bosses, and those are fine. But after so many twenty hour days they lose their impact. Days off never happen either. A teammate was on vacation and was cheewed out for not responsing to emails wheh she was gone.

Our HR managers either unfit for their jobs, simply don't care and are running out the clock until they retire, or are so out of touch with whats happening in the field and even in home office that the employees are wearing down. Requests for help are not listened to. Extra effort means nothing. Working early, late, nights, weekends, holidays is expected.

More help. Act genuine. Exectuives and high levels are hard to approach. One manager even gave a specific email that she shouldnt be included on emails going forward because she had more to do.

My experience as an intern has been good.

Current Employee - Finance Intern in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Finance Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Pay for the internship is great! They also have activities and events for interns. They are flexible with hours over the school year and try to set you up for success.

Cons

Not overly exciting work experience. Looks like moving up takes years to achieve.

More performance based bonuses for interns. Need more incentives for exceptional work.

horrible

Current Employee - Conductor
    Current Employee - Conductor

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Offers good pay with great health benefits, 401k, and pension. work with someone different everyday, always something different

Cons

no life, never home, called at all hours of the night. the spend thousands of dollars to train you just to spend the rest of your career trying to fire you. management doesn't care about anything but their own bonuses and will stop at nothing to get them, even if it means making work life horrible

go to church

Strong company with great outlook.

I worked at Union Pacific

Pros

Company has spent alot of capital on infrastructure which makes it more viable during hard economic times.

Benefits are top tier. Retirement is something to envy.

Cons

Field managers are run hard with long days and variable days off.

Quality of life is important.