Union Pacific Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.5

Union Pacific President & CEO John J. Koraleski
John J. Koraleski

Pros
  • Good pay ok benefits but they are taking them year by year (in 28 reviews)

• The pay is great when they don't lay you off twice a year so that they can make their yearly dollar amount (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of work life balance, its really is a 24 hour company (in 15 reviews)

• You will be on call 24/7 with ZERO days off and absolutely no schedule (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Married to the Company

Current Employee - Conductor
    Current Employee - Conductor

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good retirement and medical benefits.

Cons

Shift work in bad conditions, very uncaring company.

Remember who does the actual work.

Telecom Technician

Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Pocatello, ID
    Current Employee - Electronic Technician in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours and management allows us to do our job

Cons

none, none, none, none, none

A Stable and Fulfilling Job

Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. Great benefits. Pension after 5 years. 401(k) match. High level of autonomy. Easy going and respectful culture.

Cons

Things will always be hit and miss depending on your management. Corporate red tape is too thick to cut through (eg. Bringing in a new tool can take a year before the deal is made and you can actually use it - if it even gets through at all). Some teams have no sense of deadlines or urgency - lots of project atrophy. Work-life balance is a wash - some weeks you might be putting in nights and weekends, other weeks you might be coming in at 9:30 and slipping out at 4, all dependent on project demands.

We have a major issue with recruiting; the best and brightest are fleeing to the coasts. We need to inspire a culture of entrepreneurship and innovation which is hard to do with all the stagnation and red tape. Take some cues from Silicon Valley and work not just on bringing in talent, but on keeping it.

Must be very very flexible

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

High School education required
    If you are very flexible this is a great place to work
    All training is paid, six month training program aprox.$1000.00 per week training pay
    Then you are marked up to work where your seniority allows ou to hold ( ie yard,or road jobs)
    Yard jobs pays a basic day rate with overtime paid after 8 hours
    Road jobs are paid a specified trip rate (new hires start at 80% with 100% at the end of 4 years)
    The more seniority the better jobs = more money
    Great health insurance
    Great retirement
    First year income aprox. $60,000
    All employees start off as conductor and move up to engineer ( if you so choose,not required)

Cons

Very little life screwball management ( be flexible and just laugh at them you are paid a lot )
    The more you do as they say the more money you will make ie (I did just what you told me to do)
    A way from home a lot ( out one day back the next road jobs)

Don't micro manage
    Let the employees do as they were trained
    Remove problem employees ( do not promote them to management ) you can fire them with proper documentation if management does their job the employees will appreciate / respect you be realalistic ie lack of planning on your part does not become an emerancy on ours
    Reward people for going the extra mile show appreciation ( theirs more to life then just a paycheck )
    Talk to your employees you would be amazed to find out what they know ( how to save money increase productivity save fuel safety issues )
    If you take care of your employees they will walk over hot coals for you ( yes you will have some problem people get rid of them NO B.S. )

Union Pacific is a wonder company to work for!

Current Employee - Supply Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Supply Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities for changing careers within the company. Cross-department experience is highly valued. Flexible work schedules, true to work-life balance initiatives. Pay is very competitive. Total safety culture.

Cons

Located in Omaha, great family city but not recommended for young adults. There's an older workforce, which can be challenging with new ideas and processes

The company is amazing as it is. Relocating to a larger city would help retain a younger workforce.

My experience at Union Pacific was great. I loved the people, the work, the opportunity, there is just so much to learn.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Union Pacific as an intern

Pros

Culture was great. People are so willing to help you out and get to know you. They do not want you to work over 40 hours. If you are having to work from home, you are not doing your job as efficiently as you should be.

Cons

Being in Omaha was not what I had in mind. I am from a major city so going to Omaha was like being in the suburbs. This is not the kind of place I could see myself calling home.

Mechanical Carman Inspector

Former Employee - Mechanical Department in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Department in Chicago, IL

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits...good team work and plenty of management positions

Cons

Must be vigilant at all times..very dangerous.

Must know all the rules and regulations...must know every part and components to all type of freight cars. Knowlege in preparation strategy of repairs and billing notifications.

This is not your granddaddy's railroad.

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in North Platte, NE
    Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in North Platte, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Prestige exists in name only.

Cons

My nightmare with this place started with my first day of conductor class in North Platte, Ne. The instructor had several don'ts on the board as if we were in 6th grade. One of these was push in your chair or you will get written up. Two write ups and you get fired. WOW!! He got pissed off when you called him "sir" instead of by his first name. SAY WHAT!! He jumped from one book to the other during lectures and by the time you found where he was at, he had moved on. Ask him to slow down and he would soon be back at it again. He kept getting off task and start joking with the younger students about whatever and then complain that he needed more class time to teach. He also said that a couple people in the class were old enough to be his father right after he got through talking about EEO regulations. Management also would come into our classes everyday to tell/remind us what a great place this was to work. Like trying to convince us. They also made a joke of how we would have all this money and toys at home but have no time ourselves to enjoy them. Older conductors tell me they hire a lot of people and then look for ways to fire you. Glad I am out of there. Politically correct atmosphere.

Get classroom instructors that know how to teach and not bring there own idiosyncrasies into the classroom.

Stay away from train service - Conductor or Engineer.

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Railroad Conductor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big Pay, good but shrinking benefits.

Cons

No Life. You owe your sole to the company. If you have a spouse you may be looking at divorce. If you have kids forget family time or functions.
    You are on call 24/7 and just try to take a day off, they keep a list from A to E if you make the E list you are terminated at the third visit to this list. What gets you on this list - taking a weekend or holiday off.
    Managers are hired from the street and know less about the railroad than the workers. managers at some location outnumber employees
    The unions have given up and will not fight anymore but you still must belong. If the company shorts you just forget about it as the unions will not fight the claims. The Company denies all valid claims so as to over load the unions and hopes you just give up. There is wage theft on a major scale.
    You are constantly shadowed and tested, the slightest test failure will result in discipline. Discipline ranges from weeks to months off without pay(be sure to get job insurance) or permanent dismissal.
    You will be called at all hours and on all days, holidays included. You will be called with little sleep and expected to work 12 hours or more. There is no schedule, you cannot plan your life, think constant canceled Doctors appointments, missed children's birthdays, plays and other family functions.
    Diabetes is rampant because of constantly changing work times and no regular sleep patterns.
    Unless you are a workaholic, single, never need a day off and can sleep at the drop of a hat stay away.

Need to hire from within the ranks, need to do away with testing quotas. Institute shift based scheduling for train service employees. Need to have guaranteed day's off.

Your life belongs to the railroad

Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Diesel Locomotive Electrician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and Health Benefits

Cons

Terrible management, Working conditions, Schedule, Union leadership, and Culture. Not long after I got hired, I realized how much of a joke this place was....needless to say, I took the first train out of there lol.