Union Pacific Reviews

Reset

1. Train crew

Current Employee - Train Conductor in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Train Conductor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay benefits are great but not sure if it's all worth it

Cons

Management, away time and weird hours and schedules

2. Great job

Pros

Great company to work for excellent vendors including pension and discounts with major companies. Great place to learn while you work.

Cons

Supervisors and management can be described as volatile at best. Over focused on safety not from a protect the employee point of view but from a cover our behind point of view

Advice to Management

Take employee recommendations on who to remove before they get into the union

3. Stay away

Current Employee - Train Crew in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Train Crew in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money is decent when the company has you working. The safety equipment they provide is pretty nice.

Cons

I read all the negative reviews before hiring out with UP for the "Train Crew" position, I wish I would have taken them seriously instead of thinking to myself, "well I'm a good employee, that won't happen to me, all I heard during the initial hiring session was 100K a year, they said there's no way I'll get furloughed, you get a lot of vacation, the retirement is amazing, the union is strong"... All lies. The insanely hectic schedule is worth 100K a year, but I've never made more that 40K in a year. You are 24/7/365 on - call, you never know your days off.... good luck scheduling anything. You can call out sick to schedule stuff, but do it too much and you're fired. That type of horrible schedule is worth 100K a year, but you won't be making that. You're not going to start off making a lot of money, It takes like 15 years to get to the 100K mark even though they'll tell you differently. Everyone you know will say that it's a great job and you should take it, but none of them have ever worked for the railroad. I was furloughed (no pay or benefits) four times my first year, I barely made 15K. Most people get a side job to keep them afloat during a furlough, but when the railroad calls you back, you need to start working for them within 30 days or you're fired. Hopefully you can get a decent side gig that won't mind you coming and going as you please, because you'll need it. There are guys with 10 years of seniority that are on the verge of being furloughed, so expect it for a third of your career. The union keeps selling out the new guys so the old guys continue getting hooked up, I seriously doubt it will even be possible to break 100K in the future with how much the union bends over for the company. I got two vacation days for my first year and a half, one week after that. You don't get to choose when you take your vacation, the union decides for you. I think the job is going to get reduced a lot in the future with the implementation of automated equipment. The retirement is okay, but they take out ~15 percent of every pay check, if you put that into an IRA for 30 years you're going to have a good retirement regardless of where you work. If the retirement was so awesome, the old guys would retire, but they don't. The company doesn't match a 401K. Do not make any major purchases for at least 10 years. I know so many guys that lost a house, had their commuter cars (civic, corolla, etc.) repossessed, and were out of health insurance when they needed it most. Basically I would only recommend this job for desperate individuals, train enthusiasts, and people that don't need a consistent pay check or health insurance. The company wants to own your entire life when they need you, and toss you to the curb when they don't. Remember that last statement, because you will be saying that a lot if you accept a job offer for them.

Advice to Management

If you want motivated employees, pay them all year round. Every time I get furloughed and called back to work, I'm less and less motivated to provide any type of quality work. I'm almost inclined to get caught breaking rules so I can collect job insurance instead of being furloughed where I can' t provide for my family. You're going to lose all the new guys you just hired and trained.

5. Train crew

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Potential to advance.

Cons

Schedule, on call all the time, time away from home

6. Lead

Former Employee - Project Lead in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific (More than a year)

Pros

good, learning, work life balance, healthy atmosphere, competent

Cons

nothing no cons as such from my prospective

7. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Headquarters is a nice building. People are friendly and easy to work with most of the time.Pay is all right for the work that you do. Could be better could be worse.

Cons

Hard to get ahead. Managers lack focus and direction. Very poor professional development. Not a place to work if you want to move up unless you know somebody.

Advice to Management

Learn to develop your people. These are the people who will replace you when you move up. Make sure you leave a strong legacy behind in people who know what to do to support you on your move up.

8. Great place for Contractors

Pros

Even as a contractor I was treated great by management. I was able to get gym access, attend staff meetings, work with management and more.

Cons

As a contractor I missed out on some amazing benefits and perks. To hire me, I would have to compete with external applicants.

Advice to Management

Hire your contractors who have proven that they can do the job. What are you missing out on?

9. Engineering Associate

Pros

Great Support Coaching available Money MONEY Money Fly across the USA Meet awesome people

Cons

Great Support: for the work ahead Coaching available: so you can convince your wife someone else isnt coming home like you too Money MONEY Money: No time to spend it Fly across the USA: Meet awesome people

10. Train Dispatcher

Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Train Dispatcher in Spring, TX

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

40 Hours per week with good pay

Cons

Health insurance went from good to poor. Management constantly threatening to fire you for inadequate job performance, when you are not given the tools to do your job.

Advice to Management

Start making the employees feel like you are on their team, instead of the opponent's team.

11. Stress and more stress

Former Employee - Material Handler in Antelope, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Antelope, CA

I worked at Union Pacific (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits some nice people

Cons

known for racial discrimination against people of color and especially Women

Advice to Management

Manage with trust and respect

RSS Feed </> Embed