Union Square Hospitality Group

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard Coraine

Great people, great culture, demanding work.

FOH Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere is a lot of conversation about taking care of one another, which means that folks really look out for each other and their teams, from CEO to dishwashers in the restaurant. The benefits are great and available to all. There is a culture of jumping in to help out the team, no matter how small the task, which is especially impressive at first, when you are coming in from a less collaborative culture.

ConsEvery restaurant is different, I'm sure. They seek to hire folks that cannot help but go the extra mile for their teammates and guests. This can create burnout, as you end up working long hours for little more than a "thank you for your hard work." This is appreciated, but improved compensation or comp time would be even better. Sure, we all get pleasure from pleasing others, but money talks at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the company, in its growing phase, is having a little trouble retaining its hospitable identity. While we are hearing about initiatives to improve our work life, there are still guests to serve and budgets to hit, so it's hard to reconcile these two stories. We need to know who we are and where we are going and how we're going to get there and what we get for it beyond the satisfaction of a job well done.

If you love the Hospitality Industry and want to work for a company that cares about it's employees, USHG is for you.

Server/Wine Server (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsUSHG has amazing benefits for a restaurant group. They also tend to promote from within the company which can lead to a lot of growth potential. Also, all of their restaurants are staffed with amazing people who are all hospitality driven; it is great to work next to people who have a passion for the industry in which they work.

ConsEven though the benefits package is amazing at USHG, their salary and hourly wages are sometimes lower then competing restaurants.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpending a little more money on quality back of house employees will keep from the large turn over happening at some of the restaurants.

If how you feel at work is important to you, this is the company to work for.

Dining Room Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe corporate culture is all about intelligence, warmth, understanding, and empathy. There is opportunity to learn develop skills through training classes. Career growth is possible within the company and is their preferred method of hiring - cultivating their current employees for higher positions.

ConsThey expect a lot from you emotionally, and they do not have the most competitive compensation compared to similar jobs in the industry. The hours can be incredibly long, and they expect a lot from you and it's hard to say "no" even when it's in your best interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally look at the operational differences when you are pricing your management salary. Not all of the restaurants are the same, and the managers should be compensated appropriately.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome experience

Server Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAn absolute pleasure to work for a restaurant owned by Danny Meyer. As a previous employee of Wegmans for about ten years (Rochester, NY--Fortune 500- in top 5 ever year), to work for a company that shares the same views and values (educates, motivates and empowers their employees to make great decisions that improve the quality of their life.) as the Wegman family, is hard to find in the busy metropolis of NYC. Management is awesome and you can tell that Mr. Meyer takes the time to make sure he fill his restaurants with managers that understand that philosophy- happy employees who are passionate about, and love their job-- attract satisfied, happy guests; more business; and an overall successful restaurant. He is truely the "Danny Wegman" of the restaurant industry which is a rare quality to find in this competitive, often cutthroat industry.
    Training was great and there is plenty of room to advance if you are a passionate, dedicated individual.

Consdisliked uniform- server assistants had to wear an ill fitting smock looking thing that was also very heavy in material.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like a chance to interact more with Chef Meyer. I was only lucky enough to work for a few months (family emergency required me to move out of NYC) The only meeting I had set up to meet him (which excited me from the moment I was hired and told I would get a chance to speak with him.) He had to cancel and unfortunately the employee 'orientation' session was never rescheduled. There are alot of employees, myself especially, that studied his writings, researched him in culinary school and was overwhelmed by the idea of meeting a Culinary entrepeneur such as he. I was flabbergasted when I first began to study about him- it is rare to find quality managers that you respect and want to emulate; whose values and ethics are not put on the back burner over having a great bottom line. Successful businesses need both but it is a rareity in the restaurant industry for sure!
    I also think he couldnt have picked a better manager than Dino!

An exhausting, frustrating, way-too-long experience

New York, NY

ProsIf you want to go far in the food world, having a job within in the Union Square Hospitality Group will help you to achieve those goals

ConsLow pay, extremely long hours, high and unrelenting pressure, lots of bias from the supervisors (sous chefs specifically), very little understanding when you're struggling to pick up a new concept or station

Advice to Senior ManagementYour cooks? They're humans. They need time off, they need positive reinforcement, they need your understanding when they're having a terrible night and can't seem to get out of the weeds. Calling them out on it in front of the entire kitchen won't do anything except make them shut down to you. Fear only works so well for so long. It's vital for the health of the kitchen that the cooks feel appreciated.

Very long hours and unpredictable days off

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat restaurant management concept, restaurants have a long history with customer service. Upper Management are seen at the restaurants and are pleasant towards the staff.

ConsSome of the lower management are very disorganized, and this makes communication a challenging with the day to day operations.

Best restaurant group in NYC

Server (Current Employee)

ProsThey treat you with respect. The corporate culture is all about hospitality, and that's really evident in their everyday operations.

ConsThey expect the most out of you. I guess it's not really a bad thing, but they expect you to put in more work than the 40 hours required.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey clearly know what they're doing. HR does an amazing job at selecting leaders and putting them through training programs.

Worked for Union Square Hospitality Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Square Hospitality Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Union Square Hospitality Group CEO Richard Coraine. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Union Square Hospitality Group employees.