Union of Concerned Scientists

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Ken Kimmell

Wonderful learning experience, with excellent, dedicated, knowledgeable, and fun colleagues.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColleagues - Everyone is smart and committed; it's a very motivating environment. Many opportunities to learn a lot and participate given you take initiative. Get the feeling you are taking part in meaningful, impactful work.

ConsNot totally convinced I was actually taking part in meaningful, impactful work, though it felt like it. It's hard to tell how much of a policy victory/defeat can be chalked up to the organization's efforts. The tasks assigned to me tended to be unfocused, which was sometimes good considering I could shape my experience how I wanted it.

An incredible learning opportunity with very smart co-workers!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsUCS staff are all very dedicated to their job and to the mission of the organization. My colleagues were passionate, smart, and friendly. This is a medium-sized nonprofit that is managed well and has competent administrative and fundraising staff in addition to the programmatic staff.

ConsThere has been a struggle between the forces of growth and change and the nostalgia for the smaller egalitarian organization that it used to be.

An engaged working environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe culture--people here are engaged, intelligent, and passionate about what they do. You get the sense that you are fighting for an important cause alongside great people with shared environmental values.
    Work-life balance is also very positive, there are a lot of parents with young children here, and flexible schedules are possible.

ConsIf you're looking for a lucrative job, nonprofits aren't the right place to work. And environmental causes aren't always the most politically tractable so successes can take a while in coming. If you don't share the environmental, liberal values of most employees, the work might not be as engaging.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat communicators and motivators, a little slow on decisionmaking

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UCS is a really nice place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOne of the best places to work!

Consculture is to work hard

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great atmosphere and committed employees, but limited opportunity for professional growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Collegial work environment. Opportunity for flexible schedule, depending on your supervisor or position, but not available to everyone.

ConsFlexibility, work-life balance and professional growth depend almost entirely on your immediate supervisor. Starting salaries are low, Limited opportunity for advancement. No transparent process for promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time on performance reviews and more time thinking about professional development. People are often pigeon-holed in one type of position.

Great place to work

ProsUCS is well run, and full of passionate people who care about the work. It's a great place to work.

ConsIt's a flat organization which means it's pretty hard to move up in the ranks. That also makes it a collaborative place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any

Worked for Union of Concerned Scientists? Contribute to the Community!