Uniqlo Reviews

Reset
2.8
Uniqlo Chairman, President and CEO Tadashi Yanai
Tadashi Yanai

Pros
  • The people working there are really nice and the 30% discount you get is really nice (in 12 reviews)

• Understanding of customer service (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, and Visual Managers screaming at you (in 11 reviews)

• long working hours, no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. Love/hate relationship

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Uniqlo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working here is the relationship you develop with other coworkers. They are truly my friends that I hangout with all the time now and I see that throughout other groups of workers on different floors. Management encourages self development and they always express gratitude for our work.

Cons

Many cons. First they do work you to the ground no matter what level you are in. It's especially tough for associates and supervisors because they make us do so much with high expectations. We don't get paid enough to do the kind of work we do especially since we are the ones getting our hands and knees dirty to get things done at the demand of leadership. Hours vary week to week and it's hard on people who are done with school and work here "full time" so to speak. However I don't know how people enrolled in school full time are dealing working here, it must be just as stressful for them. The rigorous nature of this company really wear people down and this negative sentiment is universal throughout the store. People are quiting left and right because of this, maybe 1 or 2 people each month leave at my particular store. This in turn puts more burden on the workers who are left as we must make up for lost workers. This company is VERY strict with so many rules and regulations. So many things you are prohibited from doing. They watch you like a hawk. If you have a dispute about coming in late, they'll review the cameras and see if you really made it on time, ridiculous. They are anal about cleanliness, we clean for two hours, TWO HOURS before we open, ridiculous! Working here is so overwhelming that we lose new workers within their first month. Unfortunately, things that can improve quality of working here can never happen. For example, prefect closing every Thursday is stressful and another reason why people come to hate this company. Then we have globals which is a competition we have with other stores and it's basically perfect close on steroids. Also preparation for store visits as well. I digress, we can't eliminate perfect close or even modify to do it every other week for example. Another thing to help the quality of life here is offering benefits for part time workers but I know, that's just wishful thinking.

Advice to Management

My particular store sucks when it comes to communication. Every time they announce things and I complain about not hearing about it, they say "It was announced at morning meeting!". What? Most people are not working in the morning! So unless you work opening shifts you'll never hear first hand the new developements or changes in rules or policy until you hear it from someone.

2. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Uniqlo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always have something to do, Coworkers are amazing, Easy growth

Cons

Management can be unorganized, Favoritism, Overworked

3. Sales associate

Pros

You do have a chance to move up in the company. Decent pay. Some of the managers are very understanding. Great place to put on your resume

Cons

Unorganized when it comes to scheduling. Very strict with dress code. Coming into the job you have impression that you'll be given a raise every three months not the case they very bias.

5. sales associate

I have been working at Uniqlo part-time

Pros

everyone is friendly, willing to help, work is not hard

Cons

disorganized, no training before beginning, did not consider employee's schedules

Advice to Management

organization

6. Sales

Pros

Flexible, good pay , good discounts, good employees,

Cons

Managers are annoying at times. Aside trying to manage, they will nickpick on you everyday about the same exact task u been doing for the past years.

7. Very Structured

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Uniqlo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the past good opportunity to grow quickly. Good people that are hard workers.

Cons

Structure always changing. Lots of challenges based on budget. Sometimes very unrealistic expectations for US staff.

8. Stressful

Pros

Meet fun people who you can relate with almost always. Every 3 months you are evaluated for a raise/promotion to a higher associate (extends all the way up to manager positions).

Cons

the work load is a lot on associates. management needs to be involved more instead of just delegating through people ("trickle down" method ).

Advice to Management

Get to know your associates and be fair.

9. Difficult Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Uniqlo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation and ability to be promoted. You come across associates with the best work ethic which is rare in most retail settings. You have a lot of face time with district managers and even people from corporate. Company is building rapidly so lots of opportunity if you are willing to work extremely hard.

Cons

Constant changes to procedures becomes extremely counter productive. No work life balance. Long hours if you are in management. Company sometimes focuses too much on standards or micro managing to that point that they miss the biggest issue which is creating sales. Marketing initiatives could be improved drastically.

Advice to Management

Re-prioritize, majority of the stores are not making a profit. The solution lies in improving sales strategies.

10. It was okay...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Nice people good pay hours were good

Cons

too many shifts per week missing hours not paid for

Advice to Management

be more on top of things that deal with the employees

11. Not so great

Former Employee - Uniqlo Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Uniqlo Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

They offer a 30% discount on regular priced items, friendly employees, great variety of clothes, many opportunities to get promoted, did not get discounts on sale items.

Cons

Long hours for part time workings are very tiring, supervisors and managers are extremely busy and are always running around, making it difficult to have conversations with them

Advice to Management

The customer is important, yes, but employees are too! Have senior management pay more attention to being courteous to employees and put more effort into flexible hours.

RSS Feed </> Embed