Uniqlo

Uniqlo Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Uniqlo Chairman, President and CEO Tadashi Yanai

Tadashi Yanai

Pros:
  • "Decent 30% discount, including sale items, opportunity to attend sample sales"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Understanding of customer service"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Ambiguous working schedule leading to poor work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Long hours, bad management, will not adapt to American style of management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You Become a robot.

Visual Merchandising Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Uniqlo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're full time the benefits are pretty amazing. Thats about it.

ConsBeing a Visual is lots of work for not the best pay. Long hours, and Visual Managers screaming at you. Very hard to move up in this company. They will tell you B.S just to keep you on your A game.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan thing more properly. Stop with the favoritism, learn how to treat your staff. Stop firing people because you don't necessarily like them...

sales associate

I have been working at Uniqlo part-time for less than a year

Prosfellow associates are really wonderful.

Consmanagement was very strict.

Favoritism. Asshat management. High school all over again. Avoid working here!

Retail Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Uniqlo part-time for less than a year

Pros30% discount. Co-workers. 1 hour break. Customers. Leaving.

ConsTraining was rushed. Supervisors are a joke. Management are hypocrites. Favorites can get away with murder.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver 25 and living with your moms. You guys are laughable. Go screw yourselves. Value your employees and get to know them.

Management needs to step it up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Uniqlo

ProsNice discount, good location, cool people.

ConsInconsistent working hours. Sometimes (around summer, holiday season) you'll be give 39 hours (conveniently right under 40 hours...) a week, sometimes 4-6 hours a week (post-holiday season slump).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's management's job to keep track of their employees' performance. This needs to happen constantly, not once every 3 months around performance review times. Some employees work really hard, and a lot of the times their dedication is neglected.

Great chance of growth if they like you

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros30% discount
Accommodating to school schedule
You learn ALOT, you are treated as more than your title.
Learn how to check computer for sales top items have part in layout changes etc.
1$ raise every promotion.
Start 10$
High Standards!

ConsBi-weekly paycheck
Many levels in order to move up. A1= regular associate A2 A3 AA AA2 AA3 Supervisor SUP1
 SUP2 SUP3 etc each to get to AA 2years and thats if you're lucky.
You do not get promoted every 3 months, they don't LIKE to promote back to back just because. You have to kiss up to the right people to get double promoted. Management is very catty!!!!
Comment Cards! Customers get annoyed!!
cant work more than 30 hours and if you look at them the wrong way they cut your hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't overlook hardworking people just because you don't interact with them. Learn to get to know your employees. Its very hard to speak to people who make you feel unappreciated. By not double promoting you push great employees to your competitors (other stores). When you switch management make sure they know their job, I've had to train upper management when I'm a regular associate.

Great culture

I have been working at Uniqlo

ProsPeople are nice, good company culture

ConsThere are no downsides that I see

Fairly normal retail experience.

Retail Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Uniqlo part-time for less than a year

ProsInteresting dynamic as it is a Japanese company expanding.

ConsHalf-heartedly setting standards that may or may not be followed.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove organization.

It's ok , I have been working there for more than a year

I have been working at Uniqlo

ProsFace paced , mostly everyone who works there is young so it's kind of like hanging out with friends , good pay , good discounts , you will learn a lot if you put enough effort.

ConsBad management , a lot of favoritism , strict , almost like your a robot , everything is done a specific way and I mean everything because it's "The uniqlo way."

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication , don't just sit in the office for the whole day then come on the floor yelling because the floor is bad !

One Year Within Uniqlo

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Uniqlo part-time for more than a year

Pros30% off Discount,

Overall 360 degree learning experience in retail from fitting room, cashier training, floor training, customer service and shipment/replenishment tasks. You work here for three months you can do anything else in retail for the most part.

You can easily make friends here.

ConsAlthough you are supposed to be evaluated every three months depending on the store you work in you may not ever see that evaluation. Making it harder to receive a raise or promotion. Worse yet, you may receive an evaluation and never get any feedback in regards to it.

HR doesn't wish to retain staff and will easily turn over employees every six months to weed out those they don't like. They will easily fire someone of seniority that is not liked just to replace them with someone they can pay 2 dollars less. Their policies will change during key time periods around the holiday seasons and summer time to expedite this process. Write ups are the tool used most frequently to fire someone.

Promotions are ridiculously hard to acquire unless you are favored in some way by your floor manager. Even when individuals are qualified for a promotion they will sooner use an upper level management figure to do the job instead of promoting the individual. Depending on the manager, you could do dolphin flips in front of them and still not receive any opportunity for advancement.

Store values are different. Some stores couldn't care less about customer service, while others focus solely on standards (folding perfectly within a short period of time).

Communication between management feels almost nonexistent which is ridiculous considering there are at least three daily chat-ins with employees and management. This is particularly difficult as it brings one to question if they are even speaking to one another at all during a shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your workers, See their talents and aim to enhance them. Don't replace them just because you think it's easier. Find your core values and train your associates to achieve them. If your focus is customer service lead a customer service team, if it's standards tell them that during training.

Have managers communicate continuously so that they are aware of what is happening through out daily shifts.

OK pay but horrible management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Uniqlo part-time for less than a year

Pros$8 an hour isnt bad and my co-workers were some great people

ConsThe managers played favorites towards any co-workers they went out to party with and did not allow certain people to talk on the floor. If you were one of their favorites you could do whatever you liked

Worked for Uniqlo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uniqlo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Uniqlo CEO Tadashi Yanai. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Uniqlo employees.