Uniqlo Usa Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
2.8

Uniqlo Usa Chairman, CEO, & President Tadashi Yanai
Tadashi Yanai

Pros
  • Depending on your location, there is great room for growth within the company (in 9 reviews)

• 30% discount on items that are not promotional or final sale (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The shifts sucks 2-11, 12-9 leaves very little room for work/life balance, the best shift is 7-4 (in 9 reviews)

• RULES: strict : dress code check in the mornings (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good First Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is great, opportunities for raises every three months, and you'll learn a lot of skills that will make any other retail job a piece of cake

Cons

Very high standards
    Not a lot of hours (this might just be my location)

Do more research into areas before you open stores in new locations. Try doing more marketing campaigns

Great for introduction into retail

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa

Pros

They allow raises periodically and you can move up. The pay is better than many other retail places that I've heard of. They teach you all aspects of the store in terms of stock, registers, fitting room etc. They want you to be actively engaged in the business, knowing the most sold items at the moment etc.

Cons

So much pressure. They have little understanding that you have a life outside of the store and sometimes give little regard to your school schedule. They do show favoritism but hey, as long as the person is known for good work, its fine with me I guess but others don't appreciate it. Working there is really stressful overall because of their high standards. They'll work you, hard and don't mind taking advantage of kind people. You feel trapped in a building with a fake smile and the real one comes out the moment you can clockout, you literally get a burst of energy knowing you're free.

Actually listen to the complaints of your associates. Don't ask us to fill out a questionaire just for kicks, thats annoying.

Good experience

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Structure, great room for growth, training, employee evaluations, and decent starting pay.

Cons

Hectic, not great for someone who is not detail oriented, the small details REALLY matter here, and some managers will play favorites.

It's ok

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

$10/hr
    30% off discount
    Teaches you good work ethics
    They care about their employees
    1 hr lunch break
    Really great focus on customer service
    Cool co workers
    Offers 401k

Cons

Coworkers are cool but childish
    Way too many chiefs and not enough Indians
    Mindless non challenging work, which I knew going in.
    Was suppose to be working part time hrs but was scheduled for 39 hrs per week consistently. Technically this is part time but is 1 hr away from being full time. I wasn't expecting so many hrs so I was slightly annoyed but grateful as well.

Strict Work environment with potential

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time

Pros

Hourly pay is above minimum wage.
    Have very good customer service standards and training in this subject

Cons

Very strict work environment. Perfection is a standard that is never clearly taught, but it means clothes have to be folded and perfectly aligned constantly through out the day. Everyones standard of perfection so it makes this ideal hard to project for some.
    Long hours. If a you open prepare to be at the mall at 7am - three hours before the store opens. For closing shifts, depending on the day you can be there two to four hours closing, and there is an overnight shift.
    Always need to be moving, standing with nothing to do is not allowed.
    Managers play favorites, so if you kiss up to them, you'll probably get promoted.
    Scheduling is terrible. They only want associates to work part time and won't give you past 14 hours a week unless you are part of management. Hire too many people and store is still understaffed during operational hours.
    Break room is not accommodating.

Management needs not to stress out so much. Creates a negative energy that spreads to associates. There are things that happen beyond control and they need to not worry about it so much.

Great company to work for just wish they promoted more from within.

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa

Pros

Great Company fairly new to the USA but their expansion is crazy.

Cons

They would rather hire UMC's or Manager in Training candidates that are new to the brand and company as opposed to promoting from within. They made a lot of false promises upon hire date.

Great first retail job

Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Uniqlo Usa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on your location, there is great room for growth within the company. Starting pay is pretty decent and for every great evaluation, you get a pay bump. Quality training programs but only when they're opening new stores.

Cons

Some managers play favorites and don't recognize quality staff. Many managers expect staff to follow protocol but will allow customers to dictate what they want, even if it's outside of company policies.

Value your staff more and listen to their input.

"okay experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time

Pros

30% discount, co-workers are awesome and great personalities, 1 hour lunch break, pays above minimum wage

Cons

Where to even begin. First off, I had really high hopes working for this retailer. I read the reviews before accepting the position and against better judgement decided to just go for it because I really liked what the company stood for and felt I could learn a lot. They are very organized, have great values, and are orderly which I did like. It made the work and tasks you did flow easier. Like any other company, there are many things you are required to learn and know. They expect a lot from you but don't necessarily give you all the tools and knowledge to do well and then get "annoyed" when you do it incorrectly during training. Very fast paced, so if you never worked retail before it's like jumping into the deep end when you've never swam before. I didn't mind the strict policies and rules, would have stayed longer but it was the management that drove me insane. Mangers are young in their 20's and very condescending. Some people would leave for lunch and never come back because they could no longer take the fakeness and having to be a robot. Stock room is a nightmare. Required to clean the store but give you crappy cleaning supplies that are inefficient.

I guess it goes back to the golden rule... treat people how you want to be treated. You were in their shoes at one point. Training could have better communication. Be more approachable. Quit being hypocrites. They never smile or have no energy yet get mad when you're not smiling all the time. You set the standards. Also you're not brain surgeons... so quit acting like you're above others, when all you had to do to get into that position was take a few test, fold well, and suck up to upper management. You don't even need a degree... it's just freaking retail. Egos are way too big.

Neutral

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hourly pay is very competitive (10/hour) for entry position, and there is room for growth in that evaluations are every 3 months. Unfortunately, it's not very realistic to get one at each eval; most people get promoted once every 6-9mo. Each promotion = 1$ more, so it's not exactly chump change either.

Cons

Senior Management & Middle Management need to get over themselves and actually work on the floor some more to really understand the current needs. Instead, they just push for unrealistic goals and then get angry when they're not met. Also, management doesn't act in accordance to the company's "mission statement" and values in general, which sucks. Scheduling (where I am at least) really sucks too, as we're required to have open avail Sa+Su, and availability to close at least twice a week, during the week. Schedule also changes from week to week, so that sucks too. There's no set schedule, so if you wanna go to sleep at a certain time 5 days a week, forget about it!

Visual Supervisor

Former Employee - Visual Stylist Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Stylist Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Uniqlo Usa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good, fun co-workers. very good medical plans. the best medical benefits I've ever had.

Cons

low pay, a lot of overnight shifts. 16 hrs shifts without breaks. very bad managers.