Uniqlo Usa

Be The First To
Add Photos

Uniqlo Usa Chairman, CEO, & President Tadashi Yanai

Tadashi Yanai

Pros
  • There are so many great people working there that it's really hard to get bored(in 11 reviews)

• employee discount - can advance within 3 months(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was horrible, senior management was not understanding(in 8 reviews)

• RULES: strict : dress code check in the mornings(in 11 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You get what you give... for the most part

DIvision Advisor (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth with this company. There are promotions every 3 months, and if you make yourself an asset by working hard, it can take you a LONG way in NO time. Being reliable alone can take you very far, as Uniqlo has high turnover rates and it values that loyalty

ConsTrainging is very strict and rigorous/tedious ( 6 standard phrases, Smiling/ energy at all times etc.) although after you have learned it and made it a habit it is NOT expected all of the time. As you move up, the responsibilities are greater and the tasks that are given are sometimes next to impossible ( only to produce the best possible results). Working off the clock becomes a norm for thoes who are actually devoted/commited. Really high standards for a clothing company who pays relatively the same compared to other stores.

Hard work, sense of urgency, perfection

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsHigh standards, competitive, ambitious, fast growth in company, expansion

ConsDisorganized schedules, lack of communication and professionalism, favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementLacks compassion, not all management on same page, micromanagement

Grueling work for a retail job, not really worth it

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- decent pay for a retail job
    - coworkers are friendly
    - lots of attention paid to detailedness and cleanliness
    - customer service is top priority

Cons- work is grueling and unfulfilling
    - constant confusion of task-giving and repeating of tasks = wastes time
    - too many employees in the store at one time
    - break room is tiny

Advice to Senior ManagementThe intense work standards can be overkill. Please ease up on your workers!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Illegal labor practices. Lower employee satisfaction than Wal-Mart.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood discount on the clothes.
    Good quality clothes at already reasonable prices.
    Met some interesting and friendly people.
    Interesting Japanese corporate culture.

Cons-Required to work graveyard shift, even though I told them several times that I am unable to work graveyard shift.

-Scheduled to work back to back shifts, including a graveyard shift, meaning required to work more than 24 hours straight, with just a brief break between shifts.

-Will be fired if you call in sick more than three times in a 6 month period, no exceptions.

-Must arrive 15 minutes prior to shift start time, then stand in line waiting to punch in. If you arrive on time or 5 minutes before shift starts, you will be docked pay since you are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to shift start. After the shift, everyone must stand in line without moving, waiting to leave the building, until all employees have talked with managers to resolve issues. Since paychecks were wrong about a quarter of the time, several people every day speak to managers. One day the entire shift group had to stand in line, not moving at all for almost 40 minutes before we were allowed to leave, and we were not paid for the 40 minutes that we were required to stay beyond our shift time.

-We were told repeatedly that 15 minute breaks are a privilege, and if we moved our feet at all, shuffled minutely, signed, or made any noise at all, the entire group would have 15 minute breaks taken away. (I don’t remember if they were 10 or 15 min breaks.) We were also told repeatedly that the break room was a privilege that was going to be taken away. Actually, breaks are required by law, and so is the break room.

-Must wear “pure black,” but once the clothing is washed 3 or 4 times, it fades slightly and does not meet “pure black” requirements. This happens even with soap designed for black clothing, so my uniforms cost more than $50/mo.

-Paid a lower rate/hr than initially told upon hiring.

-Standing in line for extremely long periods, and told that we are not allowed to shift our weight or move our hands. One time a manager was sick but was told not to go home for some reason, and when she almost fainted and then sat down on a chair, she was reprimanded. I felt really bad for her.

-Rules are very strict and not uniformly enforced. Some staff are favorites. Some staff are picked on, and, I felt that they were intentionally humiliated by being reprimanded while the rest of the staff had to stand in line watching.

-Most of your co-workers will work second jobs in fast food, this may drive you crazy if they smell like French fries and you are hungry. Employee satisfaction rate is lower than Wal-Mart and Target.

-Women are asked to wear tights and also wear bike shorts on top of them or under the tights. This is very uncomfortable and unhygienic since there is a lot of physical activity and you will be required to run from place to place, and you will sweat a ton. This sounds trivial, but it was extremely uncomfortable to be required to wear uncomfortable undergarments.

-Before starting work at Uniqlo, I read negative reviews and thought that they must have come from bad workers or bitter people who exaggerated. All of these items above are absolutely true, and there are more that I am not listing.

-I enjoy a good challenge, but this environment was impossible to succeed in. I have no idea how Uniqlo gets away with so many illegal labor practices and treating staff so poorly. There were a couple of coworkers who kept talking about suing Uniqlo, but I had no interest in getting involved in that.

-Run while you can – this place is not worth your time. It will feel like living in a bad High School sorority movie.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop illegal labor practices. Employees will do a better job and the company will prosper if you treat staff fairly.

Uniqlo

Cashwrap Supervisor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCo-workers were all friendly and interesting.

ConsHorrible management. Would ask one person a question, and then another person the same question and would receive a different response every time. Very disorganized. Received one day of training and then opened by myself for the next few days without a working employee number. I was taught literally nothing about what I was supposed to do. When I asked other people about what was required of me, I received different answers from everyone. It was kind of embarrassing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your future employees are properly trained and know what they're doing before you have them begin working on their own. One day of horrible and inadequate training is not nearly enough.

Worthy of a job experience but not for long really

Advanced Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat customer service training and improving general work habits, good networking, fun environment for a certain amount of time.

ConsPolitics and popularity contest and unnecessary work procedures. Also, there could be a better benefits package. HR and management seem to manipulate and abuse workers to take advantage of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess over-control of workers and more hands on approach; avoid by the book attitudes.

Retail Associate position

Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood pay; ability to move up fast and increase hourly pay

ConsVery busy store for San Francisco

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Company with a good product but terrible ethics

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-an experience that will teach you to work hard and how to deal with people (both customers and employees)
    -potentially a fun environment with a great team of people
    -pay is above average for a retail company
    -if management likes you, you can grow with the company and climb the ranks
    -employee discount

Cons-employee moral is very low
    -people of all levels are often stressed out or crying, usually in poor health conditions due to overworking
    -to be promoted you need to fit the "UNIQLO" type aka there is heavy favoritism
    -labor conditions are terrible, often times labor laws are broken (among other laws)
    -if you are salaried expect to work 10 hour days minimum (most managers work 12-15 hours a day)
    -most companies offer a much better benefits package
    -scheduling practices are a joke... the schedules are made weekly and approved last minute
    -work life balance is nonexistent
    -very high turnover ratio... for a good reason

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's wonderful to try and keep your Japanese culture, but you need to be more flexible and consider a different approach. Take better care of your employees. I can't respect the company anymore because I know what goes on behind the doors

i have to enter five words.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosgood pay, and fun managers.

Conseverything about this company is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI dislike everyone in management. you can suck it.

Great company to begin with

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat pay for entry level sales associate. Training was thorough as we were part of the opening crew for flagship store in West Coast (San Francisco). Plenty of hours distributed evenly during beginning. Strict management kept everyone in line and in check. Opportunity to move up positions within six months. One of the better retail jobs in the SF Downtown area

ConsStrict management had high and sometimes ridiculous demands and goals for us. Lack of communication after negotiated leave of absence due to school.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care of your associates and it will help ease the turnover rate I heard and witnessed during the first six months of opening.

Worked for Uniqlo Usa? Contribute to the Community!