Uniqlo Usa Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 14, 2014
2.8

Uniqlo Usa Chairman, CEO, & President Tadashi Yanai
Tadashi Yanai

Pros
  • There are so many great people working there that it's really hard to get bored (in 11 reviews)

• employee discount - can advance within 3 months (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was horrible, senior management was not understanding (in 8 reviews)

• RULES: strict : dress code check in the mornings (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fair, but robotic experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair training
    30% discount on regular clothes
    1 hour breaks
    Overall chill coworkers
    Management cares for your breaks
    Reasonable wage
    demanding opportunities through hard work and initiative

Cons

Limited creativity
    Robotic
    uniformity
    strict dress code (e.g. all black)
    perfectionism
    some favoritism

More creativity
    Less uniformity
    Make the dress code like the rest of the UNIQLOs worldwide
    Just emphasize polite conduct rather than all the 6 Standard phrases.

You get what you give... for the most part

Current Employee - DIvision Advisor  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - DIvision Advisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of room for growth with this company. There are promotions every 3 months, and if you make yourself an asset by working hard, it can take you a LONG way in NO time. Being reliable alone can take you very far, as Uniqlo has high turnover rates and it values that loyalty

Cons

Trainging is very strict and rigorous/tedious ( 6 standard phrases, Smiling/ energy at all times etc.) although after you have learned it and made it a habit it is NOT expected all of the time. As you move up, the responsibilities are greater and the tasks that are given are sometimes next to impossible ( only to produce the best possible results). Working off the clock becomes a norm for thoes who are actually devoted/commited. Really high standards for a clothing company who pays relatively the same compared to other stores.

Robot cult

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with very cool and laid back people, 30% discount

Cons

When you work here, you're basically trained to be a robot. The dress code is VERY strict. All black. No exceptions. You can only have tattoos as long as they're super small. You can't have facial piercings and only 1 piercing per ear. They teach you how to talk, sit, stand, and walk a certain way. If you don't do exactly what they ask/want, you get terrible feedback. You could do everything perfectly the way they want it done but they will ALWAYS have something negative to say. They expect you to be a perfectionist after learning something just once. The vibe of the store is very weird and fake. You must smile ALL the time and if you don't you will get yelled at. All management cares about is the money they bring in, not the employees. If you're thinking of working here, I highly advise you look somewhere else because you will be miserable.

Don't be so hard on the employees! Especially the ones just starting out!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grueling work for a retail job, not really worth it

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

- decent pay for a retail job
    - coworkers are friendly
    - lots of attention paid to detailedness and cleanliness
    - customer service is top priority

Cons

- work is grueling and unfulfilling
    - constant confusion of task-giving and repeating of tasks = wastes time
    - too many employees in the store at one time
    - break room is tiny

The intense work standards can be overkill. Please ease up on your workers!

Hard work, sense of urgency, perfection

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

High standards, competitive, ambitious, fast growth in company, expansion

Cons

Disorganized schedules, lack of communication and professionalism, favoritism

Lacks compassion, not all management on same page, micromanagement

Illegal labor practices. Lower employee satisfaction than Wal-Mart.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount on the clothes.
    Good quality clothes at already reasonable prices.
    Met some interesting and friendly people.
    Interesting Japanese corporate culture.

Cons

-Required to work graveyard shift, even though I told them several times that I am unable to work graveyard shift.

-Scheduled to work back to back shifts, including a graveyard shift, meaning required to work more than 24 hours straight, with just a brief break between shifts.

-Will be fired if you call in sick more than three times in a 6 month period, no exceptions.

-Must arrive 15 minutes prior to shift start time, then stand in line waiting to punch in. If you arrive on time or 5 minutes before shift starts, you will be docked pay since you are required to arrive 15 minutes prior to shift start. After the shift, everyone must stand in line without moving, waiting to leave the building, until all employees have talked with managers to resolve issues. Since paychecks were wrong about a quarter of the time, several people every day speak to managers. One day the entire shift group had to stand in line, not moving at all for almost 40 minutes before we were allowed to leave, and we were not paid for the 40 minutes that we were required to stay beyond our shift time.

-We were told repeatedly that 15 minute breaks are a privilege, and if we moved our feet at all, shuffled minutely, signed, or made any noise at all, the entire group would have 15 minute breaks taken away. (I don’t remember if they were 10 or 15 min breaks.) We were also told repeatedly that the break room was a privilege that was going to be taken away. Actually, breaks are required by law, and so is the break room.

-Must wear “pure black,” but once the clothing is washed 3 or 4 times, it fades slightly and does not meet “pure black” requirements. This happens even with soap designed for black clothing, so my uniforms cost more than $50/mo.

-Paid a lower rate/hr than initially told upon hiring.

-Standing in line for extremely long periods, and told that we are not allowed to shift our weight or move our hands. One time a manager was sick but was told not to go home for some reason, and when she almost fainted and then sat down on a chair, she was reprimanded. I felt really bad for her.

-Rules are very strict and not uniformly enforced. Some staff are favorites. Some staff are picked on, and, I felt that they were intentionally humiliated by being reprimanded while the rest of the staff had to stand in line watching.

-Most of your co-workers will work second jobs in fast food, this may drive you crazy if they smell like French fries and you are hungry. Employee satisfaction rate is lower than Wal-Mart and Target.

-Women are asked to wear tights and also wear bike shorts on top of them or under the tights. This is very uncomfortable and unhygienic since there is a lot of physical activity and you will be required to run from place to place, and you will sweat a ton. This sounds trivial, but it was extremely uncomfortable to be required to wear uncomfortable undergarments.

-Before starting work at Uniqlo, I read negative reviews and thought that they must have come from bad workers or bitter people who exaggerated. All of these items above are absolutely true, and there are more that I am not listing.

-I enjoy a good challenge, but this environment was impossible to succeed in. I have no idea how Uniqlo gets away with so many illegal labor practices and treating staff so poorly. There were a couple of coworkers who kept talking about suing Uniqlo, but I had no interest in getting involved in that.

-Run while you can – this place is not worth your time. It will feel like living in a bad High School sorority movie.

Stop illegal labor practices. Employees will do a better job and the company will prosper if you treat staff fairly.

Uniqlo

Former Employee - Cashwrap Supervisor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cashwrap Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa full-time

Pros

Co-workers were all friendly and interesting.

Cons

Horrible management. Would ask one person a question, and then another person the same question and would receive a different response every time. Very disorganized. Received one day of training and then opened by myself for the next few days without a working employee number. I was taught literally nothing about what I was supposed to do. When I asked other people about what was required of me, I received different answers from everyone. It was kind of embarrassing.

Make sure your future employees are properly trained and know what they're doing before you have them begin working on their own. One day of horrible and inadequate training is not nearly enough.

Worthy of a job experience but not for long really

Current Employee - Advanced Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advanced Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customer service training and improving general work habits, good networking, fun environment for a certain amount of time.

Cons

Politics and popularity contest and unnecessary work procedures. Also, there could be a better benefits package. HR and management seem to manipulate and abuse workers to take advantage of them.

Less over-control of workers and more hands on approach; avoid by the book attitudes.

Retail Associate position

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay; ability to move up fast and increase hourly pay

Cons

Very busy store for San Francisco

N/A

Company with a good product but terrible ethics

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa full-time for less than a year

Pros

-an experience that will teach you to work hard and how to deal with people (both customers and employees)
    -potentially a fun environment with a great team of people
    -pay is above average for a retail company
    -if management likes you, you can grow with the company and climb the ranks
    -employee discount

Cons

-employee moral is very low
    -people of all levels are often stressed out or crying, usually in poor health conditions due to overworking
    -to be promoted you need to fit the "UNIQLO" type aka there is heavy favoritism
    -labor conditions are terrible, often times labor laws are broken (among other laws)
    -if you are salaried expect to work 10 hour days minimum (most managers work 12-15 hours a day)
    -most companies offer a much better benefits package
    -scheduling practices are a joke... the schedules are made weekly and approved last minute
    -work life balance is nonexistent
    -very high turnover ratio... for a good reason

It's wonderful to try and keep your Japanese culture, but you need to be more flexible and consider a different approach. Take better care of your employees. I can't respect the company anymore because I know what goes on behind the doors

Worked for Uniqlo Usa? Contribute to the Community!