Uniqlo Usa

Updated March 3, 2015
2.5

Uniqlo Usa Chairman, CEO, & President Tadashi Yanai
Tadashi Yanai

Pros
  • 30% discount on items that are not promotional or final sale (in 17 reviews)

• Depending on your location, there is great room for growth within the company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The shifts sucks 2-11, 12-9 leaves very little room for work/life balance, the best shift is 7-4 (in 10 reviews)

• RULES: strict : dress code check in the mornings (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Uniqlo Associate

Current Employee - Uniqlo Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Uniqlo Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa

Pros

You get some good training here, and coworkers are pretty good people for the most part. They provide a very structured way to move up in the company. Pay is also pretty good.

Cons

Doesn't provide a good work-life balance. They make you do lots of pointless work.

it started great but it gets worse over time

Former Employee - Overnight Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Overnight Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time (more than a year)

Pros

30% employee discount
    paid sick leave
    great pay

Cons

management changes every once in a while

should know your associates capacity and don't expect to finish a workload for 10 people when theres only two people working

DONT JUST DONT

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa

Pros

The discount was good 30% off + on sale items too, your co workers are literally your only friends.

Cons

No hours ! For a Visual you would expect to have enough hours to make the store look good but that's impossible ! Had to do all my visual work by myself ! No team in less than 14 hrs a week. Overnights every Sunday of my life even if you're not doing visual work they expect to work as a sales. Last time I checked I was a Visual ?? They expect so much from you too much criticism not enough encouargement. My manager would cuss me out if something was wrong but how do you expect someone to make it right when your yelling in my ear. MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE !! I addressed problems I had with my store manager and she didn't even care !!! Unbelievable. I've worked retail my whole life but they take the cake in the worst retail store to work for. You get promotions every 3 months but if they forget to give you a review you just won't get one period. So I didn't receive a promotion because she decided she just didn't want me to have it even though I had all the points ? Their morals and work ethics are a disgrace.

Stop acting like you know what your doing and actually pay attention to your employees who make you look good and not the opposite.

Retail is retail, but I've had better experiences

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic product (both quality and style) for its price point. Great designer collaborations
    - Preserving its Japanese heritage through great customer service and brand
    - Fast paced work environment
    - Career progression and management training available, if you have the work ethic
    - Don't get that many benefits considering

Cons

- Those not familiar or comfortable with Japanese work culture it can be very rigid, perfectionistic, borderline demeaning (like assembling in front of the manager before every shift and yelling out cringe worthy customer service phrases and daily revenue/targets while only getting slightly above SF minimum wage)
    - Management is seems stressed and overworked which results in unnecessary passive aggressiveness to junior staff
    - Cliquey - it's pretty much a store full of college students and it gets super lame, superficial and very 'high school'

- Better training required for new hires
    - Stop taking yourselves so seriously

division advisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

one of the best fast fashion retailer with good org culture, in stores colleges are super awesome.

Cons

have overnight shift for every employee with intensive working pressure.

Fair, but robotic experience

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fair training
    30% discount on regular clothes
    1 hour breaks
    Overall chill coworkers
    Management cares for your breaks
    Reasonable wage
    demanding opportunities through hard work and initiative

Cons

Limited creativity
    Robotic
    uniformity
    strict dress code (e.g. all black)
    perfectionism
    some favoritism

More creativity
    Less uniformity
    Make the dress code like the rest of the UNIQLOs worldwide
    Just emphasize polite conduct rather than all the 6 Standard phrases.

Worst job I have ever had, hands down.

Former Employee - Visual Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really liked their company standards. We were all (everybody from maintenance to management) expected to keep the store "tidy" at all times. This was a very helpful standard for all the visual team because instead of spending all day cleaning, the store was kept clean and improved the look of the visual displays. It is a very energetic, young, culture at UNIQLO so if that's your speed then you're good to go. The schedules were normal amount of time and if you were willing to work hard the management was tolerant of your "lazy american" way of working. Direct quote from an old manager that was promoted and sent back to NYC.

Cons

Training is a joke. Part of training is having every conversation, you will ever have with a customer, scripted for you. You have to run, not walk throughout the store. Breaks are monitored on a camera that LP keeps an eye on. Management is all very young and mostly green except for the few that were shipped from Japan. They (upper management) are a very nice, friendly bunch but do not understand how different our (american) work ethic is from theirs. As a visuals team member we were always made to feel like a 12-14 hour day wasn't enough. That we could be doing more work, at a faster pace but with the same creative results. The management constantly changed our schedules. We were told we wouldn't work on weekends but we did. We were also told, when hired, that we would work 4-5 overnight shifts in a year. It turned out to be 4 overnight shifts A MONTH! We were always in a push and pull situation between visual management (in NY) and the SF store manager.. The store managers don't seem to respect what visuals bring to the store so that was always a struggle.
    I wouldn't recommend this job to my worst enemy. It was a very toxic environment and the worst part of all of it is when some of the staff had had enough and started complaining to HR about some of the issues, it became apparent who HR was there to protect. And it certainly wasn't the 'Human' part of that acronym. I couldn't get out of that store fast enough. Good riddance.

Consider honesty when hiring new team members for visual. Explain that most of the labor intensive work is expected to be conducted in 4 overnight shifts per month. Understand that certain strict policies in California (like meal break violations) are in place for a reason. And finally, if a manager ever gets caught changing employees hours to cover up the fact that he/she worked us passed the 5 hour mark (without a lunch break) FIRE HIM/HER!!! That is illegal and this company is practically looking for a lawsuit if this continues...

You get what you give... for the most part

Current Employee - DIvision Advisor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - DIvision Advisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of room for growth with this company. There are promotions every 3 months, and if you make yourself an asset by working hard, it can take you a LONG way in NO time. Being reliable alone can take you very far, as Uniqlo has high turnover rates and it values that loyalty

Cons

Trainging is very strict and rigorous/tedious ( 6 standard phrases, Smiling/ energy at all times etc.) although after you have learned it and made it a habit it is NOT expected all of the time. As you move up, the responsibilities are greater and the tasks that are given are sometimes next to impossible ( only to produce the best possible results). Working off the clock becomes a norm for thoes who are actually devoted/commited. Really high standards for a clothing company who pays relatively the same compared to other stores.

Robot cult

I have been working at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You work with very cool and laid back people, 30% discount

Cons

When you work here, you're basically trained to be a robot. The dress code is VERY strict. All black. No exceptions. You can only have tattoos as long as they're super small. You can't have facial piercings and only 1 piercing per ear. They teach you how to talk, sit, stand, and walk a certain way. If you don't do exactly what they ask/want, you get terrible feedback. You could do everything perfectly the way they want it done but they will ALWAYS have something negative to say. They expect you to be a perfectionist after learning something just once. The vibe of the store is very weird and fake. You must smile ALL the time and if you don't you will get yelled at. All management cares about is the money they bring in, not the employees. If you're thinking of working here, I highly advise you look somewhere else because you will be miserable.

Don't be so hard on the employees! Especially the ones just starting out!!

Grueling work for a retail job, not really worth it

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Uniqlo Usa part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- decent pay for a retail job
    - coworkers are friendly
    - lots of attention paid to detailedness and cleanliness
    - customer service is top priority

Cons

- work is grueling and unfulfilling
    - constant confusion of task-giving and repeating of tasks = wastes time
    - too many employees in the store at one time
    - break room is tiny

The intense work standards can be overkill. Please ease up on your workers!