Unishippers Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
4.1

Dan Lockwood

Pros
  • great support staff willing to help you be successful (in 4 reviews)

• great work atmosphere to work in (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• Corporate training was not as helpful as I thought it would be (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I love it here!

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company has brought me a lot of happiness. The staff is great. My training has been awesome. I'm gaining so much knowledge here.

Cons

I haven't been here for too long so have not experienced any thing too harsh. One thing that can be improved is horizontal communication.

Inside sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Westport, CT

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good college internship / entry level sales position to sharpen your selling skills. Great products, but could use more local advertising / branding of the Unishippers name as too many potential customers are initially turned off because they've never heard of the service.

Cons

Felt during the interview process I was over-sold on the commission potential vs what the reality was for even the most successful sales rep. Also could use improved better CRM software to help reps spend less time managing current accounts & more time adding new accounts

Look for ways to offer more career growth / leadership opportunities to help attract and retain top talent

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice old building with lots of light and centrally located. Office cats are fun. Free basic food available - soup, popcorn, fruit, peanut butter bread etc.

Cons

It was a job to gain some experience and put on a resume. The pay isn't good. Very few opportunities for advancement. I get the other reviews and agree that there is some weird things that go on within this company. I don't think the owners are bad people and they mean well but don't realize how their behavior impacts their employees. One of the owners is really arrogant and does talk to all the employees like they are children and does constantly bounce from one idea to another and doesn't ever implement anything. Some of the ideas are not realistic and very unorganized. Strange meeting topics that are really uncomfortable did take place. For instance confronting your co-workers if they have bad breath. The owner likes to role play scenarios that are really dumb and don't apply to the workplace or how you should deal with people. The owner suggested when confronting the person with bad breath to say something like did you brush your teeth today. It was weird. First of all everyone who worked their wasn't gross or smelly. If someone did have bad personal hygeine then it should be addressed by that persons manager or the owner. It was insulting and ridiculous. This is just one example. Basically, coping with the crazy stuff that went on there was just laughing it off and try ignore it. It was just a job and a paycheck to move on to something better. Owner did constantly threaten to fire people. I don't think her perspective was grounded in reality because she had not been in the workforce for long time and when she was it was brief. There is a problem with the owners separating their religious belief system. I don't think it's intentional. From what I can see living according to a strict set of rules that 99.9% percent of the world does not so i did feel looked down on cause I like to enjoy a beer or a cup of coffee. Like I said I don't think they are bad people but just really clueless. If someone is considering a job here they should have some idea of what they are getting themselves into because having an employer on your resume just for a couple months looks bad and can damage your chances for a different job because you look like a job hopper or end up getting fired.

Not sure what to say here. I can see what the other reviews are saying that the owner twists feedback in her mind and always comes up with a justification and pushes it back on others and tries to look innocent. If you do speak up, you will get fired and the firing is justified by saying the fired person didn't belong there. There is a double standard.

Great experience for new opportunities.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Right away, you're put to work and given the task to start cold calling and get a feel for it on the first day. You call people from all over the U.S., and experience the full of it - some people will lead you on and some will completely shut you down, but overall great experience for sales. Also, very flexible and laid back.

Cons

Not a lot of exciting things going on. You're reselling shipping services.

Need to keep growing and developing better services to grow as a company.

Set-up to Fail

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice old building. Owners provide free food. Some decent and friendly people work there. There are a couple cats that are fun.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Owner doesn't understand the concept of salary and will doc pay even though some weeks you work well over 40 hours. Sales training at the franchise level is an unorganized mess. Owner tries to blame the person for not being a self-starter but she is clueless and not professional. The owner's big motivator is to constantly threaten to fire people. The owner talks to the staff like they are little children and thinks she is better than everyone else. Nepotism is a common practice and staff is must deal with owner's children who text during meetings and whistle in the middle of meetings. Yes, just rudely starts whistling during a meeting! The owners act like they are big time when in the grand scheme of things the company is a tiny fish in a small pond and the opportunities are no where near as great as they sell them in the interview.

No advice would probably be taken so there is no point. Staff just keeps their mouth shut so they can keep their jobs.

Regional Sales Manager

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent chance on becoming successful within the franchise willing to provide the tools to be successful. Patience, diligence, and communication. If you have that, go do a good job!
    Most franchises will not provide this or know how too!

Cons

Some formal mediocre training. Could not control my cost or anything regarding sales tools/ pricing. Brought in new customers weekly using Quantum View Manage, Routing Letters via inbound, Tradability, but it just did not matter. I found so many opportunities but was never assisted with them. Sold freight on a regular basis but it did not matter. I have so many opportunities but was never greenlighted on the important opportunities. There are policies that are not communicated until you finally work for the company, then you get it, it finally starts to sink in. I always knew the rules but were forced to bend them. As a UPSer for 7 years strong, I made an investment in the company thinking the politics would be struck out of the equation. It was twice as bad! Do not work for this company unless you own the franchise and have direct results over what is approved. This company will not provide you with a sustainable future or a sustainable income. I have two degrees and am now struggling because they cut me off. No notice, no backup! This is the most unmanaged company I have ever worked for. The top execs will surely give it two thumbs down! Hear me and hear me now...do not work for this company, if you have future plans for investment. Bad Idea! I know what it takes to make a UPS sale, these guys are on the cusp yet still clueless. It will never change...now go listen to the brainwashed side to get approval...you will realize that these guys are clueless sooner than later. Good luck getting greenlighted!

Communication, and responsibility for unmet goals!

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is really good, they value employees, work culture is good, disciplined; office is in good location. benefits are good.
    Normal business hours

Cons

cannot think of any cons

Honest Work for impressive pay.

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant- Outside Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant- Outside Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Unishippers full-time

Pros

Excellent Compensation off of a growing book of business.
    Normal business hours.
    Extensive ownership opportunities
    Freedom to travel and set your own pace, as long as you are producing.

Cons

Sales Intensive, if you cannot handle the emotional roller coaster that is sales. Don't bother
    High stress, but with significant rewards

Perhaps an upgrade in technology.

Good team to work with, great base salary and comp plan!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary is excellent compared to other sales roles in the area. Fast track to advance your career and really thorough training. Juan really invests a lot of time and money into the representatives training.

Cons

This is sales so if you don't want to work hard and earn a living this isn't for you.

Focus on new hires with the work hard play hard mentality and avoid the "entitled" ones who want to blame everyone and everything else for their failures.

Committed to Continued Growth

Current Employee - Sales in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training, sales support, career opportunity, sales team environment, culture, UPS relationship, competitiveness

Cons

Technology support could be better - internal and customer.

Greater investment in technology to upgrade internal and customer applications, also reducing glitches improving performance consistency.