Unishippers Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
68 reviews filtered by
3.9
Dan Lockwood

Pros
  • great support staff willing to help you be successful (in 4 reviews)

• great work atmosphere to work in (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• Corporate training was not as helpful as I thought it would be (in 3 reviews)

1. Challenging, Fun & Rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Stanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Stanton, CA

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great first job out of college. Fast paced. Learn a lot. Constantly challenged to grow. Well paid with base, bonus, commissions, trips, contests.... You learn a lot about sales and a lot about the industry. I'm a former college athlete and they hire a lot of us because we love to compete and this is a great way to continue our competitive passion.

Cons

Knock on a lot of doors and make a lot of calls, but.. they tell you that up front. You can do 50 doors in less than 1/2 day. Most prospects are friendly even if they don't ship. It's hard work but if you are up to the challenge, you can make a ton of money and have fun doing it.

Keep up with the contests and keep finding more ways to motivate us. We love a challenge.

2. Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of your team...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA

I have been working at Unishippers

Pros

Perfect part time job for a student - assisting the freight team with customer freight requests. Provided with a laptop, flexibility to work as few or as many hours as I want and am working out of my home.

Cons

I have no 'cons' to write about.

Thank you for the continual support, appreciation and I hope to be a part of your team for a long time.

Good company with some challenges.

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The earning potential at a good franchise is nearly unlimited - IF you are willing to put in the time and make the calls.

Cons

Burnout is really common. A bad month of prospecting for customers can result in 4-6 months of poor performance. As a manager I was constantly hiring and saw a lot of good people just not be able to handle the pressure of sales performance.

Ongoing training is really needed in the system even if it is just for the social aspects of reps getting together to encourage each other and share stories.

5. Mismanagement at its best!

I worked at Unishippers

Pros

Decent pay, snacks/water/soda provided. Occasionally buys lunch for team members.

Cons

Management/owner does not know how to run/manage company properly or efficiently, allows harassment of employees.

6. Prepare to work hard and reap the rewards.

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited passive income potential. I know reps who make hundreds of thousands of dollars after 2-3 years. Win and keep many clients and your commission will increase forever. Lots of freedom for those who can manage their time well. Both products (UPS and freight) practically sell themselves if you manage to get in the door and reach a decision maker who values saving money. If you're happy staying a sales rep forever you can build a huge book of business, set your own schedule, and enjoy a great range of autonomy.

Cons

Not for introverts or people who can't handle constant rejection. Must make 50-75 contacts a day or you will fail. UPS can be difficult to sell to businesses accustomed to FedEx. Freight is highly competitive and high maintenance. No room for advancement unless you want to become business partners with your franchise owner or buy your own franchise.

Keep doing what you're doing! This year's improvements to technology and brand image are fantastic.

A path to advancement from franchises to corporate might remedy the "nowhere to advance to" issue.

7. A great learning experience. This is a perfect entry level job for sales.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The compensation plan is great very easy to make $80K your first year. The culture of the company is very sales oriented and "performers" are well rewarded.

The product is something that is easy to sell and does truly help small and medium size business.

Cons

Not a lot of additional product training after initial training upon being hired.

Offer additional training for platinum sales reps.

8. Not a Bad place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Unishippers

Pros

Good management/employee engagement. It is a decent entry or mid-level sales position where you can learn to prospect businesses. The training program is great and sets you up to succeed provided you are willing to work. Owners are good people and it is a laid back atmosphere.

Cons

When I worked there it was smaller then now so it was a bit too familyish. They were just starting to grow so some promises were made, like retirement plans, that were never delivered. The commission is capped and territories that are owned can be picked over limiting success in sales. The owners are a bit quirky. They have most of their family working there making the others feel like outsiders, although not intentionally.

9. Sales Rep

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Unishippers

Pros

Transportation will always be a viable career. Asset based carriers continue to rely on brokers to solicit business from the SMB segment. Unishippers is a tier 1 3pl and is highly regarded by the carriers.

Cons

Very competitive and requires a lot of cold calling and follow up. Very easy to lose motivation because of rude people.

Training, Training and more training

10. Sales Rep

I worked at Unishippers

Pros

Great work-life balance for franchise owners.

Cons

Narrow minded franchise owners.
    No career growth.

11. Great

Former Employee - Truckload Coordinator in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Truckload Coordinator in Springfield, IL

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Constantly learning, team outings, and lots of potential to grow

Cons

No cons to mention. This was a great learning experience for me.