Unishippers

Dan Lockwood

Great Company to work for

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsManagement is really good, they value employees, work culture is good, disciplined; office is in good location. benefits are good.
    Normal business hours

Conscannot think of any cons

Set-up to Fail

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsNice old building. Owners provide free food. Some decent and friendly people work there. There are a couple cats that are fun.

ConsBenefits are terrible. Owner doesn't understand the concept of salary and will doc pay even though some weeks you work well over 40 hours. Sales training at the franchise level is an unorganized mess. Owner tries to blame the person for not being a self-starter but she is clueless and not professional. The owner's big motivator is to constantly threaten to fire people. The owner talks to the staff like they are little children and thinks she is better than everyone else. Nepotism is a common practice and staff is must deal with owner's children who text during meetings and whistle in the middle of meetings. Yes, just rudely starts whistling during a meeting! The owners act like they are big time when in the grand scheme of things the company is a tiny fish in a small pond and the opportunities are no where near as great as they sell them in the interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice would probably be taken so there is no point. Staff just keeps their mouth shut so they can keep their jobs.

Regional Sales Manager

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDecent chance on becoming successful within the franchise willing to provide the tools to be successful. Patience, diligence, and communication. If you have that, go do a good job!
    Most franchises will not provide this or know how too!

ConsSome formal mediocre training. Could not control my cost or anything regarding sales tools/ pricing. Brought in new customers weekly using Quantum View Manage, Routing Letters via inbound, Tradability, but it just did not matter. I found so many opportunities but was never assisted with them. Sold freight on a regular basis but it did not matter. I have so many opportunities but was never greenlighted on the important opportunities. There are policies that are not communicated until you finally work for the company, then you get it, it finally starts to sink in. I always knew the rules but were forced to bend them. As a UPSer for 7 years strong, I made an investment in the company thinking the politics would be struck out of the equation. It was twice as bad! Do not work for this company unless you own the franchise and have direct results over what is approved. This company will not provide you with a sustainable future or a sustainable income. I have two degrees and am now struggling because they cut me off. No notice, no backup! This is the most unmanaged company I have ever worked for. The top execs will surely give it two thumbs down! Hear me and hear me now...do not work for this company, if you have future plans for investment. Bad Idea! I know what it takes to make a UPS sale, these guys are on the cusp yet still clueless. It will never change...now go listen to the brainwashed side to get approval...you will realize that these guys are clueless sooner than later. Good luck getting greenlighted!

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, and responsibility for unmet goals!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Honest Work for impressive pay.

Shipping Consultant- Outside Sales (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent Compensation off of a growing book of business.
    Normal business hours.
    Extensive ownership opportunities
    Freedom to travel and set your own pace, as long as you are producing.

ConsSales Intensive, if you cannot handle the emotional roller coaster that is sales. Don't bother
    High stress, but with significant rewards

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps an upgrade in technology.

Committed to Continued Growth

Sales (Current Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsTraining, sales support, career opportunity, sales team environment, culture, UPS relationship, competitiveness

ConsTechnology support could be better - internal and customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater investment in technology to upgrade internal and customer applications, also reducing glitches improving performance consistency.

Good team to work with, great base salary and comp plan!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsThe salary is excellent compared to other sales roles in the area. Fast track to advance your career and really thorough training. Juan really invests a lot of time and money into the representatives training.

ConsThis is sales so if you don't want to work hard and earn a living this isn't for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on new hires with the work hard play hard mentality and avoid the "entitled" ones who want to blame everyone and everything else for their failures.

Dynamic, forward-thinking company

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMy experience is in the corporate office, not in one of the franchises which are independently owned and operated.
    Senior management is highly ethical and makes decisions based on "what is the right thing to do" not just on what increases profit.
    The top executives are also franchise owners so they have perspective in the field as well as in the corporate office for better strategic decision making.
    The company has guiding committees in key areas made up of franchisees so that decisions are not made in a vacuum.
    Management is open with staff regarding the state of the business, financial health and strategic initiatives.
    Great culture, excellent benefits, bonus plans for all staff.

ConsIf you're willing to put in the extra time needed to complete projects and initiatives, the company is willing to let you work as many hours as you need/want. This can be a work/life balance detriment.
    Franchisees can be abusive to staff in communications.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I love working here and highly respect you.

Great Company-G-Great People R-respect E-earned income A-allowing you to run accounts T-teamwork

Corporate Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

Pros-Great earning potential
    -owner want you to be apart of your growth
    -great work atmosphere to work in
    -freedom to sell and grow your own business
    -owner care about not only your success but your family want nothing but the best
    -Monthly residual commissions

Cons-competitive business- lot of competition (if you are not lazy and you give great service to your customer you will not lose them)
    -In sales you get a lot of "NO'S
    Not many cons- overall "What you put into it you will get back 10 fold"

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the job and your day to day activity's, the first 3 months will be tough but it will pay off.

Work hard play hard!

Outside Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsI started a little over a year ago. I love the high activity positive energy I experience with the team every day. Working with this type of an office culture truly allows the sales cycle to be worth it at the close. Management is excellent. I trained with my boss 1-on-1 for 3 months and could tell he really did care about my professional future and furthermore about the future I have within the company. I am never bored, always on my toes, and consistently exceeding my compensation expectations. What more could I ask for?

ConsThe sale can sometimes be lost to competition without any notice. Undercutting from competitors is more frequent than I would like.

The Unishippers corporate office is a great flexible company to work for.

Software Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey value my work as a individual and what my team does. They are accommodating to the family atmosphere in Utah. They do their best to award hard working individuals. Although there are few positions in an office of 48+ people they do their best to promote you where possible. A benefit of a small company with a big foot print (it being a franchise organization) is that there is virtually no bureaucracy but you still have the financial backing of all 280+ franchises.

ConsSmall company atmosphere can be limiting somewhat in advancing one career but the pros in this area seem to out-way this con.

Advice to Senior Management1. A employee bonus for finding individuals for positions should be implemented.

Worked for Unishippers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unishippers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unishippers CEO Dan Lockwood. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Unishippers employees.