Unishippers

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.7

Dan Lockwood

Pros
  • great support staff willing to help you be successful (in 4 reviews)

• great work atmosphere to work in (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• Corporate training was not as helpful as I thought it would be (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

Former Employee - Truckload Coordinator in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Truckload Coordinator in Springfield, IL

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Constantly learning, team outings, and lots of potential to grow

Cons

No cons to mention. This was a great learning experience for me.

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Unishippers

Pros

Good opportunity to work with some sharp people. It's a flexible work environment where you are given a lot of autonomy as long as you are getting your work done. A lot of opportunity to work on meaningful projects that impact the company's bottom line.

Cons

Limited opportunities to move up the ladder

Senior Management does a good job.

Don't expect more than what it is

Former Employee - Shipping Consultant
    Former Employee - Shipping Consultant

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're new to sales, or are comfortable with making a lot of calls and repeating yourself over and over again, and if you have tenacity, you can make a pretty decent living. I would suggest this position to a recent college graduate or young person to get their feet wet in sales.

Cons

There isn't much more to the position than what you learn in the first month. Depending on the independent company under the Unishippers umbrella, the focus will either be small package or freight shipping. I believe most of the companies focus on freight. You will be making the same phone calls over and over again, saying the same things, and facing a LOT of rejection. As a result there is a very high turnover. These are independently owned franchises and the benefits are lacking due to a lack of size in the group. The franchise I worked for had an HSA.

Be patient with your crew and treat them like gold if they perform well. Don't sugar coat the position. Be upfront about the monotony of the position and you'll keep people longer.

Great pay, HORRIBLE management!!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is good
    wonderful co-workers
    Training was great

Cons

Management sucks, rude, overly egotistical.
    They treat their employees horribly and aren't embarrassed about it.
    They expect too much from new employees.
    Family owned company, with family problems.

Learn to appreciate your employees.

No training, no customer service, difficult job.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Unishippers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young sales team is fun to work with.

Cons

There was no training which made it difficult to see. Management wanted employers to cold call business to business 4 times a week. A lot of companies did not like the services, have had bad experiences before, etc.

Better training.

Lots of freedom no guidance.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Unishippers

Pros

Like my title said lots of freedom. You have the ability to have your own business without the negatives of it. You are essentially your own boss. You work form home or at least I do. Decent base pay, and to make your own schedule and work virtually anywhere.

Cons

If you are a people person that is looking for a career in which you interact and have a relationship with your customers this in not for you. You must have a home office, if you don't it will be very hard to stay organized. The product you sell is not very exciting, and is highly competitive. It will take time to build your book of business. We are talking 100+ active accounts in order to make a decent commission, this takes time and a lot of time something from what I have experienced you do not have a lot of. After training you are on your own. On co-workers just you in your office. For me being a very social person it got very boring. Unfortunately there is no room for advancement unless you purchase a franchise, and if you do purchase a franchise you have to also buy your book of business from your current franchise owner so the years of really hard work is all gone and you must start again.

It would only be in your to mentor your sales consultants spend as much time with them as they need to be successful. Be more transparent in the beginning on how the commission structure works. Set goals and work to make them attainable.

Inside sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Westport, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Westport, CT

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good college internship / entry level sales position to sharpen your selling skills. Great products, but could use more local advertising / branding of the Unishippers name as too many potential customers are initially turned off because they've never heard of the service.

Cons

Felt during the interview process I was over-sold on the commission potential vs what the reality was for even the most successful sales rep. Also could use improved better CRM software to help reps spend less time managing current accounts & more time adding new accounts

Look for ways to offer more career growth / leadership opportunities to help attract and retain top talent

I love it here!

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has brought me a lot of happiness. The staff is great. My training has been awesome. I'm gaining so much knowledge here.

Cons

I haven't been here for too long so have not experienced any thing too harsh. One thing that can be improved is horizontal communication.

Great experience for new opportunities.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Right away, you're put to work and given the task to start cold calling and get a feel for it on the first day. You call people from all over the U.S., and experience the full of it - some people will lead you on and some will completely shut you down, but overall great experience for sales. Also, very flexible and laid back.

Cons

Not a lot of exciting things going on. You're reselling shipping services.

Need to keep growing and developing better services to grow as a company.

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Anonymous in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Unishippers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice old building with lots of light and centrally located. Office cats are fun. Free basic food available - soup, popcorn, fruit, peanut butter bread etc.

Cons

It was a job to gain some experience and put on a resume. The pay isn't good. Very few opportunities for advancement. I get the other reviews and agree that there is some weird things that go on within this company. I don't think the owners are bad people and they mean well but don't realize how their behavior impacts their employees. One of the owners is really arrogant and does talk to all the employees like they are children and does constantly bounce from one idea to another and doesn't ever implement anything. Some of the ideas are not realistic and very unorganized. Strange meeting topics that are really uncomfortable did take place. For instance confronting your co-workers if they have bad breath. The owner likes to role play scenarios that are really dumb and don't apply to the workplace or how you should deal with people. The owner suggested when confronting the person with bad breath to say something like did you brush your teeth today. It was weird. First of all everyone who worked their wasn't gross or smelly. If someone did have bad personal hygeine then it should be addressed by that persons manager or the owner. It was insulting and ridiculous. This is just one example. Basically, coping with the crazy stuff that went on there was just laughing it off and try ignore it. It was just a job and a paycheck to move on to something better. Owner did constantly threaten to fire people. I don't think her perspective was grounded in reality because she had not been in the workforce for long time and when she was it was brief. There is a problem with the owners separating their religious belief system. I don't think it's intentional. From what I can see living according to a strict set of rules that 99.9% percent of the world does not so i did feel looked down on cause I like to enjoy a beer or a cup of coffee. Like I said I don't think they are bad people but just really clueless. If someone is considering a job here they should have some idea of what they are getting themselves into because having an employer on your resume just for a couple months looks bad and can damage your chances for a different job because you look like a job hopper or end up getting fired.

Not sure what to say here. I can see what the other reviews are saying that the owner twists feedback in her mind and always comes up with a justification and pushes it back on others and tries to look innocent. If you do speak up, you will get fired and the firing is justified by saying the fired person didn't belong there. There is a double standard.