Unishippers Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Dan Lockwood

Pros
  • great support staff willing to help you be successful (in 4 reviews)

• The work atmosphere is comprised of high energy, good natured small-business minded employees with the mind-set of big savings for local businesses (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Corporate training was not as helpful as I thought it would be (in 3 reviews)

• no long term potential unless you purchase a franchise (in 2 reviews)

1. Small company feel, Large company advantages

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA

Pros

Great company to work for to learn about the logistics industry and grow your sales skills. Also a great place for sales consultants to groom themselves to become entrepreneurs and own their own franchise. We have passionate employees and a platinum level culture.

Cons

You will benefit from your own efforts. If you put in the energy and time, you will reap the monetary benefits.

2. Unishippers Review

Pros

great motivation to do well, achievable quotas and milestones. very fun office environment that motivates you to do as well as you can because of the atmosphere that encourages success.

Cons

training program is not the greatest. lack of true advisors who do nothing but help and teach, instead they are also sales reps who have their own agenda that does not always coincide with yours.

Advice to Management

train better. take more time to make sure that the employees are set up for success which would make everything easier for everyone.

3. Shipping Consultant

I worked at Unishippers full-time

Pros

Control over time. Easy product to sell. Field sales has little or no involvement with customer service issues.

Cons

Cannot Speak about the whole organization. Can speak on NJ Franchise. Owner made several large misrepresentations, including agreeing to a base salary and then when a contracting was presented it was lower without saying anything like I was too thick to read it. Several other basic areas misrepresented including territory integrity (internally within the franchise) and car allowance.. The owner was made aware of my financial goals and initially agreed this was attainable. It quickly became obvious this could only happen after many years of effort. The owner also had a habit of accusing of things not done. When it was imperially discovered this was not the case, he never apologized for the rash accusation. In addition he always blamed his silent partner for being the "bad cop"(really annoying) Needless to say, I was quickly not interested in making this work long term

Advice to Management

In the NY Metro area, with the base salary you are offering and to commission potential, you may want to lower your expectations on what you are getting as for as field sales. Try hiring HS grads who can survive living at home for four years. In addition. the NJ area is pretty tapped out. you might want to consider not having a sales force or just put you family out on the road occasionally.

5. Meh.

Pros

You meet a lot of people and learn a lot about businesses in your region.

Cons

Managemenr stinks. Overall setup of franchising and staff means that you work really hard to help your boss get rich. While doing so, you suffer the consequences and expenses involved. Not good pay and not good incentives. Being successful means you have to lower or even go against your morals/values.

Get to make your own schedule, but not ideal for someone with not a lot of experience.

Pros

Ability to make a lot of money, make your own schedule, work from home, don't have to be in an office all day.

Cons

Not a lot of training, you really hit the ground running and they just have you learn as you go. Management is a little unorganized.

7. Collections

Current Employee - Collections in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Collections in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Unishippers (More than a year)

Pros

This was the best company I have ever worked for. Had it not been for relocating I would have continued to work for this company. The leaders listen to their employees and take into account the needs of each individual to complete their job efficiently.

Cons

I did not have any bad experiences at this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work

8. Excellent Place For Growth and Development

Current Employee - District Sales Manager - SAN Diego in Stanton, CA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager - SAN Diego in Stanton, CA

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Compensation, Career Advancement Opportunities, Company Hosted Functions, Rewards/Bonuses, Residual Commissions , A Positive Company Culture, A leadership team who understands the importance of both business and the people behind the business who make it happen. Large national company backing with a small family company feel.

Cons

I would NOT call this a con however this is not a place for lazy, unproductive, unmotivated people. If your personality resembles any of the above negative traits, you would not thrive here.

9. Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant/Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant/Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Unishippers (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone new to sales, I have really benefited from the extensive and ongoing training. The owners and management are genuinely invested in the success of the reps, and I get all the support and tools I need. This is the first job I've ever had where I felt like my compensation was directly tied to my effort and work ethic. There are also lots of opportunities for recognition on the local and national level. The service being offered to businesses carries real value, so I get to enjoy actually helping people. The smaller size of our office means a lot of one-on-one attention, but the reps are still allowed space to grow and play to their own strengths.

Cons

My commute to get to the office is very long, and long drives are sometimes required to get to appointments all over the SF Bay Area. The shipping industry can be difficult in general, so resilience is a must.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work. More reps would be great!

10. Sales

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant in Dowagiac, MI
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant in Dowagiac, MI

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You sell a great service and work with the best people in the industry.

Cons

Slow start, but worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Keep feeding the hungry sales folks.

11. Account Exec

I worked at Unishippers full-time

Pros

Autonomy & appealing freight offerings. Small company environment.

Cons

Depends on your location since it's a franchise. My office was managed by a micromanager, which made for a terrible work environment. Company is not ahead of the curve with technology and using tech to make their lives easier. Used a terrible CRM system when I was there, not sure if they moved onto SFDC yet, hopefully. You're strongly encouraged to resell UPS to small business owners who would appreciate the aggressive discount you give them in which UPS wouldn't ordinarily do. However this leads to undercutting not only FedEx but also UPS themselves! More than half the UPS deals our franchise sold was undercutting UPS themselves. Once the resold UPS account gets too large UPS can scoop it up for. Wasted a lot of time and effort to resell UPS to save customers $1,000 a year.... Base salary is very low and when I joined there wasn't a car allowance although I was told during the interview that there was one...

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep tabs on franchise locations and spend face time with each franchise. Training them on the Dos and Donts.

RSS Feed </> Embed