Unishippers Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Dan Lockwood

Pros
  • great support staff willing to help you be successful (in 4 reviews)

• The work atmosphere is comprised of high energy, good natured small-business minded employees with the mind-set of big savings for local businesses (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Corporate training was not as helpful as I thought it would be (in 3 reviews)

• no long term potential unless you purchase a franchise (in 2 reviews)

1. Small company feel, Large company advantages

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanton, CA

I have been working at Unishippers

Pros

Great company to work for to learn about the logistics industry and grow your sales skills. Also a great place for sales consultants to groom themselves to become entrepreneurs and own their own franchise. We have passionate employees and a platinum level culture.

Cons

You will benefit from your own efforts. If you put in the energy and time, you will reap the monetary benefits.

2. Collections

Current Employee - Collections in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Collections in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Unishippers (More than a year)

Pros

This was the best company I have ever worked for. Had it not been for relocating I would have continued to work for this company. The leaders listen to their employees and take into account the needs of each individual to complete their job efficiently.

Cons

I did not have any bad experiences at this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work

3. Excellent Place For Growth and Development

Current Employee - District Sales Manager - SAN Diego in Stanton, CA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager - SAN Diego in Stanton, CA

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Compensation, Career Advancement Opportunities, Company Hosted Functions, Rewards/Bonuses, Residual Commissions , A Positive Company Culture, A leadership team who understands the importance of both business and the people behind the business who make it happen. Large national company backing with a small family company feel.

Cons

I would NOT call this a con however this is not a place for lazy, unproductive, unmotivated people. If your personality resembles any of the above negative traits, you would not thrive here.

5. So far so good

Current Employee - Logistics Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Logistics Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Unishippers

Pros

Great philosophy. Franchise owner I work for is really decent guy

Cons

I am not sure yet I can achieve my financial goals

Advice to Management

None to give

6. Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant/Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant/Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Unishippers (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone new to sales, I have really benefited from the extensive and ongoing training. The owners and management are genuinely invested in the success of the reps, and I get all the support and tools I need. This is the first job I've ever had where I felt like my compensation was directly tied to my effort and work ethic. There are also lots of opportunities for recognition on the local and national level. The service being offered to businesses carries real value, so I get to enjoy actually helping people. The smaller size of our office means a lot of one-on-one attention, but the reps are still allowed space to grow and play to their own strengths.

Cons

My commute to get to the office is very long, and long drives are sometimes required to get to appointments all over the SF Bay Area. The shipping industry can be difficult in general, so resilience is a must.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work. More reps would be great!

7. Sales

Current Employee - Shipping Consultant in Dowagiac, MI
    Current Employee - Shipping Consultant in Dowagiac, MI

I have been working at Unishippers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You sell a great service and work with the best people in the industry.

Cons

Slow start, but worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Keep feeding the hungry sales folks.

8. Account Exec

I worked at Unishippers full-time

Pros

Autonomy & appealing freight offerings. Small company environment.

Cons

Depends on your location since it's a franchise. My office was managed by a micromanager, which made for a terrible work environment. Company is not ahead of the curve with technology and using tech to make their lives easier. Used a terrible CRM system when I was there, not sure if they moved onto SFDC yet, hopefully. You're strongly encouraged to resell UPS to small business owners who would appreciate the aggressive discount you give them in which UPS wouldn't ordinarily do. However this leads to undercutting not only FedEx but also UPS themselves! More than half the UPS deals our franchise sold was undercutting UPS themselves. Once the resold UPS account gets too large UPS can scoop it up for. Wasted a lot of time and effort to resell UPS to save customers $1,000 a year.... Base salary is very low and when I joined there wasn't a car allowance although I was told during the interview that there was one...

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep tabs on franchise locations and spend face time with each franchise. Training them on the Dos and Donts.

9. Depends on the owner of the franchise...

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Unishippers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CRM tools provided, sales methods/system in place, and onboard new hires training (which is in Utah at franchise's corporate HQ) is comprehensive and gives you the chance to get out of town for a full week since having to travel to Utah to complete the program. Company paid holidays, PTO, training initially (pays for the costs for all new hires to attend), annual convention meeting write-off expenses, small company feel with big corp[oration capabilities, decent 3PL pricing to offer customers who switch and book through your service, and many others. Each franchise is owned by a different person or management group nationwide so it really is dependent on who owns the territory that you work for, some owners do control or own multiple territories.

Cons

Very competitive industry, pricing was strong in comparison to competitors in the market, and Unishippers as an entire company of franchises has a good relationship with all the carriers and is somewhat demanding of them,as well, in terms of how they service their account customers in each territory, which is nice the company is backed up well by the actual shipping carrier companies who are performing the services on behalf ogf the 3Pl. Difficult to manage too many accounts and grow those relationshjips due to time constraints and an inability to service the accounts personally. You are left to rely on your inside account management and logistics scheduling staff members and hope that they attend to your clients properly, which often is not the case of how you would handle the account when issues arise. As a result of this you lose a lot of business even though it is not your fault and beyond you control in multiple ways internally and externally with the carrier-side service level of performance. Therefore, you end up having to replace a lot of accounts over and over again, so difficult to create a residual pay-out in commissions that is anything more than small incremental growth over time - 3 steps forward and 1-4 steps back, depending on the month or year or internal employees who have not been fired yet so are servicing your accounts in the meantime until then. This can cause significant damage to any progress you have made incrementally in increasing your monthly shipping repeat business obviously.

Advice to Management

The HQs office would be wise to require all franchisee's to send in their newly hired candidates within the first 2 weeks, as they try to avoid it for as long as possible but by doing so stunt the sales person's growth in knowledge for the industry which they are selling into and for, and some corporate Skype's or similar once or twice a month to for all franchises nationwide to tune into at the same time would be great way to consolidate efforts and run a few training sessions for new CRM tools that p[rove innovative to the sales method and return when using. It would feel more like a large corporation and keep others in the loop - they should ask their top performing reps in the company of franchise's to give a quick rundown of their elevator pitch and 1 factor they feel is the cause for their recently increased new business (so not sales other than those newly onboarded from the week before, perhaps). I think with a bit more input by the senior and/or more successful franchise reps (who could also be rewarded with a $50-100 gift card for taking the time to report the reason for their recent success in signing up new prospects who are actively shipping. One other improvement that could be made, at least while I was still there, is the addition of a centrally managed carrier database tool for access by all franchise's nationwide with the carrier's contact info that you can search for shipments originating from any area of the country with - all shipping info each franchisee sets a shipment up with should automatically be entered in this database and made accessible to all other locations with calculated rates charged for shipments that are available and current, rates that automatically update weekly or whenever applicable to changing the former pricing.

Depends on Franchise Owner...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Unishippers full-time

Pros

-Stability -9-5, no work on specific holidays, weekends off. -Paid for lunch sometimes

Cons

-Management demonstrates little to no management skills. Managers are condescending, belittling, and lack foresight when it comes to confidentiality and proper workplace behavior. VERY PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE COMMUNICATION. Managers openly discussed worker-related health issues without regard to privacy. Managers openly discussed inappropriate topics about their workers in the workplace. No SOPs that are department wide. Managers can also be vindictive. -Stress levels are high, due to the kind of work involved. Many angry customers, customers unwilling to research what should be done in regards to freight/small parcel shipping. Customer often expect everything handed to them - this may be partly due to Unishippers Shipping Consultants (sales reps) not properly explaining procedures, etc. -Skills not utilized properly according to skill set. Many here lack skills for computer troubleshooting, basic communication skills, and etiquette for workplace. -Pay is low compared to other salaries in the 3PL field. -Favoritism for certain employees.

Advice to Management

Hire new effective managers. Pay your employees more.

11. Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at Unishippers (Less than a year)

Pros

Great intro position and the people are friendly. Great story to business purpose. Decent enough training was provided. Customers seem to like the company.

Cons

Too narrow range in services at a reasonable rate. The software seems dated and really the company dies not seem viable. I would not really reccomend.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be listen to reps in the field. Maybe make some improvements in customer service, turn around on answers to questions.

RSS Feed </> Embed