Unisource Worldwide

Be The First To
Add Photos

Unisource Worldwide CEO Al Dragone

Al Dragone

Pros
  • I have created what I hope to be lifelong bonds with several great people in this team and will gladly be a resource to them for as long as I am able(in 5 reviews)

• Pretty flexible scheduling and good Work/life balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No standards for senior management and office personnel(in 4 reviews)

• Challenging work environment and very political(in 4 reviews)

Worst Management Ever

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsA short commute and the building is located in a decent area with lots of shopping and options for lunch.

ConsThe management is a combination of lazy and incompetent or militant and abusive. They are obviously NOT held accountable to any professional standards. And the HR Department is of NO help either as she simply sides with management in order to bury the real issues. After all, handling things properly would actually constitute WORK.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, replace the existing management staff by 75% and cut that headcount overall almost in half. You are seriously wasting good money on BAD people.

Miserable

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsI enjoy what I do and have made good friends working here. Benefits aren't bad, getting a little bit better this year, with more incentives to keep out of pocket costs down. Potential merger sounds exciting. Many employees are hoping it makes a positive difference in the culture and work environment and offers more career opportunities.

ConsThe current environment gives a whole new meaning to micromanagement. I've never worked someplace where managers were so antagonistic and unprofessional. Managers encourage coworkers to monitor each other and report policy infractions, like children "tattling". Unless you're one of the "favorites", you are constantly threatened that you will be written up or lose your job. You never know from day to day if it's going to be your turn to be scrutinized and picked on by one or more of the managers. Certain managers can do and say whatever they want, with no consequences, just because they are close with senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the number of people leaving. Ask WHY they're leaving and be prepared to hear the ugly truth about how some departments are run. Stop protecting managers who treat employees like commodities (or worse). Whether the merger happens or not, Unisource has great potential to be a world-class company. The only way for that to happen is to deal with the bad apples who are poisoning the environment. It doesn't matter how valuable one or two people are if they create a hostile environment or people keep leaving. Eventually, that will affect your bank account. Maybe then someone will pay attention.

Mostly a great place to work, especially if you like your boss.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsUnisource offers a flexible schedule, and managers are very understanding when you need time off for personal issues. There are also opportunities to step outside of your comfort zone to learn new aspects of the business and different technologies.

ConsSome of the ERP systems are old and antiquated. Some managers would rather not step forward to resolve employee conflicts. I've seen some managers treat their employees in a very unprofessional way. Sometime projects get created and I'm unclear as to the benefit of the project or a project has not been totally vested before starting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company for beginning your career

ProsThe senior management has a clear vision regarding the future of the company.
    No micromanagement. Get your job done - that's it.
    401k Match.

ConsLow compensation when compared to industry average.
    Rising up the ladder is very political and favored.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the potential of each employee and encourage them to use that potential in a value-added initiatives.

No stability

Buyer (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGood for entry level, good insurance, *, *, *

ConsLow morale, unpredictable layoffs, no growth opportunities, secretive on company decisions, no stability

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging, allow employees to make decisions

Unisource, Career opportunities for positive minded employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsGreat Executive Vision / Excellent Working Relationships
    New investments and creativity keep the company growing and a leader in the supply chain industry.

ConsSome politics, Benefits grow more costly each year, Many groups are recoverying from the cutbacks that occurred during the recent recession. Many teams are spread thin on personnel and many are doing the job of three others. It's one way to get 110% utilization out of your employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive to be the industry leader. Executives are making great strides with the vision of the company.

It can be good again ...

Business Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful co-workers, great benefits and good mid-level managers who truly care about customers.

ConsMore political than most organizations, lack of true leadership, lack of customer focus at executive level - more about "what's in it for me".

Advice to Senior ManagementStart really caring about your employees and customers - ALL of them, not just the few you can use.

Long time employee

ProsGood people and leadership within the company

ConsContinuous change in this industry

The most stressful environment I've ever worked in

Collections (Former Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsNot a bad commute, some nice people

ConsPolitics, unfair practices and enforcement of policies. Working hard does not pay off at this company. Boys club environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop threatening people with their jobs. The threat of being fired becomes a welcome concept after a while. Too many people looking to stab each other in the back. Management should promote teamwork, improve the culture in Itasca. The high turnover is not beneficial to anyone.

Good Executives but Poor middle management leading Unisource to worse

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsYour in your own..
    Managers are not knowledgeable or not self-confident (take your advantage on it)
    Its a game (Politics and Etc..) play your game with them then they will take their step back against you.
    Knowledge ad stomach to be micro managed OK this is the place to Master it.

ConsManagers are non educated , they don't know what are the Ethics are.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees, not stupid managers People leaving Managers not the company (This is known Fact)..

Worked for Unisource Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!