Unisource Worldwide

Updated October 3, 2014
2.7

Unisource Worldwide CEO Al Dragone
Al Dragone

Pros
  • I have created what I hope to be lifelong bonds with several great people in this team and will gladly be a resource to them for as long as I am able (in 5 reviews)

• Pretty flexible scheduling and good Work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No standards for senior management and office personnel (in 5 reviews)

• Challenging work environment and very political (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company in a dying industry

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has been proactive in finding new ways to grow sales in a marketplace that is declining.

Cons

Difficult to get answers at times. Too many layers of management and cross over between segments which leads to conflicts between personnel. Programs are not always well thought out for all the pitfalls that can occur which leads to failures.

At this point the advise would concern the merger. There is too much uncertainty about where everyone fits and it only causes frustration. Get the people involved in accounts together - make a decision and move forward. Don't let people hang on wondering what is going to happen.

Not bad

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a comfortable atmosphere. For the most part everyone is a time player. Management will work with you in most cases.

Cons

I am still gaining experience. I don't have any Cons at the point.

Very Complex Place. Upper management is not trusted to tell the truth. There is very little communication.

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are helpful.

Cons

No training and I mean NONE. The company has so many controls it is hard to navigate the 7 systems in place. The credit department is useless.

Come down from the Ivory Tower to visit and show a true interest in the employees.

Terrible company because of the culture

Former Employee - Director in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Norcross, GA

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays reasonably well, talented team members here and there.

Cons

office culture is horrible, promotions are hidden, people are let go regularly without notice, managers watch the clocks, unstable senior management team

There are some rotten apples in the senior management team that everyone knows contribute to the horrible culture of the company. Go fix the issues and please do it before it impacts the new Veritiv organization.

Unisource has supported me for over 19 years

Current Employee - Paper Plus Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Paper Plus Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, feeling of running your own business

Cons

Lack of training, upword movement

Credit = Toxic

Former Employee - Somewhat Up There In Credit in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Somewhat Up There In Credit in Itasca, IL

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many strong performers in this group that put in 100% daily, despite not wanting to come into work.

For few, there has been a substantial amount of upward mobility that have allowed their respective careers to flourish.

I have created what I hope to be lifelong bonds with several great people in this team and will gladly be a resource to them for as long as I am able.

The company itself is very dynamic, and for those who like and seek out change, there is ample opportunity for personal and professional career growth. I have learned more at this company than at any previous position. The CEO positioned the company for exactly what was needed by Bain & GP, which was to create a sustained profitability model that allowed for a future sale or return to public life. Some may not approve of the method and constant change, but in my view Al Dragone has accomplished an amazing feat at Unisource in basically 10 years.

Cons

Some upper Management in Credit had created an absolutely toxic work environment and seemingly act surprised when UWW Credit is not in the driver's seat moving forward in the new organization. The actions of the hardest working people in the group are often looked over if that employee is not liked by few, which has led to untimely resignations, terminations, and legal action. The group that consistently and completely turns over employees every 2.5 years receives mountains of praise and manages a function that is obsolete with the right technology in place. The mentality that those who are liked can do no wrong causes the true talent in this group to become complacent and looking for the next opportunity to leave.

Along with the above, the group's middle management is over-populated and littered with incompetence, apathy, or a mixture of both. where one may be completing the work of three or four of their peers... and in many cases completing the work of their boss.

The toxic environment that had been created, festered into a cancerous group that has little-to-no cohesion between teams and often fall into an us vs. them mentality.

The best people in this group either have left, or will be shortly, even without this merger happening.

There are massive compensation inequalities that exist, caused by an odd hiring practice in 2007 that continues to perpetuate. Some of the best performers are the lowest paid.

Nada, it appears retribution is taking place by way of the merger. Certain egos will not fit within their new job titles.

The worst job I ever held!

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Regular team meetings, decent communication regarding the merger.

Cons

Unisource hires first time managers and promotes them as puppets. Micromanaging is the norm, no one gets a chance to develop. The turnover rate for my particular role was 100% each and this wasn’t taken into consideration. Unisource only cares about managers managing up not down. It is a really toxic place to work.

Make your managers grow and develop their team or get them out of there.

Great environment

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide

Pros

Going through many changes for the benefit of the company and its employees
    The environment is casual but everyone is clearly focused on getting their work done

Cons

They may be slow to upgrade their software but they are working on it
    Compensation could be more competitive, perhaps by supplementing a benefits package

good company

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

large product line to sell

Cons

to large to care about individual employees

make a plan and stick with it

Great to your face. Different when looking other way.

I worked at Unisource Worldwide

Pros

Non-management employees.
    Warehouse drivers.

Cons

Found managers were two faced. Best friend in front of you when you can help them, but when they turn other way it is complete opposite. All in an effort to improve themselves. First hand knowledge of management cowards that had guts to tell me after I was not working there for two years and actually became a vendor for them, when being told my current services were no longer going to be used that they were upset I started selling their accounts directly. I asked a simple question to more than one of them....What would you do? My family needs to eat as well. I NEVER received an answer to my question. That gives you an idea of the arrogance and downright embarrassing mindset of management at this company.

Be honest. Treat all people how you would like to be treated. Try and understand what it was like before you spent your day on conference calls about setting up meetings to form committees so you can travel around the world to have meetings to set up ore conference calls without giving small bonuses to people that actually generate sales to pay your salary.