Unisource Worldwide

Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

Unisource Worldwide CEO Al Dragone
Al Dragone

Pros
  • I have created what I hope to be lifelong bonds with several great people in this team and will gladly be a resource to them for as long as I am able (in 5 reviews)

• Pretty flexible scheduling and good Work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No standards for senior management and office personnel (in 4 reviews)

• Challenging work environment and very political (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, good starting salary, excellent teamwork

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep your employees in mind

Toxic!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy location to commute to and from. The dress code is casual. Many nearby restaurants to escape to from the office on lunch. The couches in the employee lounge are very comfortable. The work is easy enough once you come around the learning curve and is plentiful to help speed the day by. Wretched work environment helps to motivate looking for a better, more fulfilling career.

Cons

This is, without a doubt, the most toxic office environment I have ever had the misfortune to work in. Managers rule by fear, threats, intimidation, and hypocrisy. Office bullying is the norm with supervisors and co-workers alike employing underhanded tactics such as intimidation through verbal aggression, playing mind games, harsh ridicule, serious threats, backstabbing, and emotional blackmail. I have never felt more isolated and alone within a company than at Unisource; not even being able to trust the co-workers within my own dept. and "team". My own sense of self-worth was being diminished within the first month of employment as the continued abuse gave me frayed emotions, rattled nerves, reduced confidence, and a sense of mental exhaustion. Within the first six months I was threatened with losing my job 3 times despite being an honest hard-worker. Throughout the company there seems to be widespread anger and frustration, obvious hypocrisy, dysfunctional co-worker relationships, and overly restrictive systems and policies that are unregulated by an incompetent and powerless HR Dept. This is a company that treats profits as sacred and employees as doormats, and as a result their ethics and values suffer to the point of being non-existent.

Treat others as you wish to be treated instead of allowing hypocrisy to reign. Show your employees the respect they deserve as professionals and human beings and see them increase their productivity instead of watching them walk out the door after they've quit. Promote teamwork and developing positive co-worker relationships up and down the chain-of-command instead of isolating everyone from one another. Grow up and stop fostering a bully-oriented, toxic office environment.

Great

I worked at Unisource Worldwide

Pros

benefits friendly vacation great pay

Cons

long hours, managers have no training

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Management Ever

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A short commute and the building is located in a decent area with lots of shopping and options for lunch.

Cons

The management is a combination of lazy and incompetent or militant and abusive. They are obviously NOT held accountable to any professional standards. And the HR Department is of NO help either as she simply sides with management in order to bury the real issues. After all, handling things properly would actually constitute WORK.

Clean house, replace the existing management staff by 75% and cut that headcount overall almost in half. You are seriously wasting good money on BAD people.

Miserable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time

Pros

I enjoy what I do and have made good friends working here. Benefits aren't bad, getting a little bit better this year, with more incentives to keep out of pocket costs down. Potential merger sounds exciting. Many employees are hoping it makes a positive difference in the culture and work environment and offers more career opportunities.

Cons

The current environment gives a whole new meaning to micromanagement. I've never worked someplace where managers were so antagonistic and unprofessional. Managers encourage coworkers to monitor each other and report policy infractions, like children "tattling". Unless you're one of the "favorites", you are constantly threatened that you will be written up or lose your job. You never know from day to day if it's going to be your turn to be scrutinized and picked on by one or more of the managers. Certain managers can do and say whatever they want, with no consequences, just because they are close with senior management.

Look at the number of people leaving. Ask WHY they're leaving and be prepared to hear the ugly truth about how some departments are run. Stop protecting managers who treat employees like commodities (or worse). Whether the merger happens or not, Unisource has great potential to be a world-class company. The only way for that to happen is to deal with the bad apples who are poisoning the environment. It doesn't matter how valuable one or two people are if they create a hostile environment or people keep leaving. Eventually, that will affect your bank account. Maybe then someone will pay attention.

Mostly a great place to work, especially if you like your boss.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unisource offers a flexible schedule, and managers are very understanding when you need time off for personal issues. There are also opportunities to step outside of your comfort zone to learn new aspects of the business and different technologies.

Cons

Some of the ERP systems are old and antiquated. Some managers would rather not step forward to resolve employee conflicts. I've seen some managers treat their employees in a very unprofessional way. Sometime projects get created and I'm unclear as to the benefit of the project or a project has not been totally vested before starting.

Good company for beginning your career

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The senior management has a clear vision regarding the future of the company.
    No micromanagement. Get your job done - that's it.
    401k Match.

Cons

Low compensation when compared to industry average.
    Rising up the ladder is very political and favored.

Understand the potential of each employee and encourage them to use that potential in a value-added initiatives.

Unisource, Career opportunities for positive minded employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Executive Vision / Excellent Working Relationships
    New investments and creativity keep the company growing and a leader in the supply chain industry.

Cons

Some politics, Benefits grow more costly each year, Many groups are recoverying from the cutbacks that occurred during the recent recession. Many teams are spread thin on personnel and many are doing the job of three others. It's one way to get 110% utilization out of your employees.

Continue to drive to be the industry leader. Executives are making great strides with the vision of the company.

No stability

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Buyer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good for entry level, good insurance, *, *, *

Cons

Low morale, unpredictable layoffs, no growth opportunities, secretive on company decisions, no stability

Stop micromanaging, allow employees to make decisions

It can be good again ...

Former Employee - Business Manager
    Former Employee - Business Manager

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, great benefits and good mid-level managers who truly care about customers.

Cons

More political than most organizations, lack of true leadership, lack of customer focus at executive level - more about "what's in it for me".

Start really caring about your employees and customers - ALL of them, not just the few you can use.

Worked for Unisource Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!