Unisys

Unisys Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman

Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation(in 46 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions(in 23 reviews)

• communication from senior management on strategy(in 22 reviews)

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Potential to grow & progress depends...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsBenefits changed over the years but were very good. Worked with many people who were interested in seeing me be successful & were very supportive. Potential to move forward but must know the right people.

ConsRely on yourself to find work/life balance. Depending on your position, you could be expected to 'check in' during personal time. Company supported training was (many times) politically driven. If they thought you were someone on the 'fast track' training was provided; otherwise, expect to do it on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to remember "The 141-year history of Unisys is one of reliable, technically excellent, tenacious people". The majority of these people are the one's you rely on to get the real work done. You need to remember this & acknowledge that this is why you are successful. Hiring inexperienced people just because it costs less isn't always the better answer.

Systems engineer for almost 30 years.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Malvern, PA

ProsI make my own hours.

ConsNo raises for several years

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some courses. Engineers do not make good managers.

Doing the best they can

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsFlexible work hours, Casual atmosphere

Conslosing business, unstable, shaky future

Advice to Senior Managementmaking everyone come back to the office vs the previous flexible work arrangements has created a lot of unrest and dissatisfaction. The cube farm is full of people on the phone. Let people work from home, it was the only perk you were able to provide and now that's gone, anyone that's halfway decent will follow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good

Director, Finance (Former Employee) Phila, PA

Prosgreat people who work hard

Conscommunication from senior management on strategy

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better down the line

Zero Respect for Talent

Director (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsYou get a below average pay check each month

ConsAn extremely uneducated middle middle management fighting to not be exposed

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out the organization of anyone with over 25 years of service that came from a Field Engineering back ground. These people consistently have no new ideas and sole purpose is hanging around long enough to retire. Their lack of education and unwillingness to get it is the BIGGEST drain on the overall company. Stagnant thinking. Doing what their told. Never voicing a new idea that wasn't hatched from an ancient repairman mentality. I have witnessed good, highly talented, people being moved to ineffectual roles or out right laid off, due to perceived threats of talent and initiative.

Open your eyes Ed. Have some 1:1's with the middle management of your Services and SCM organizations and see what you get other than small talk, company mottos and your own words being provided/echoed back at you. Ask them where they went to college and what they studied. I honestly believed dinosaurs died out eons ago. Small brains, slow moving, eats their own for self-preservation.

Culture Change

Vice President (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsPeople are smart, collaborative, empowering. Lot's of room to grow and develop your professional skills and areas of competence. Employess at all levels can make meaningful contributions.

ConsToo bureaucratic. Need to figure out creative ways to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work around transformation towards a performance culture!

Lot's of promise

Vice President (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsGreat people by in large
    Solid portflio

ConsStill inconsistent in delivering predictable results
    Not certain enough of top management is leading and truly driving results

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course and hold key BU and geography leadership truly accountable for results

Great co-workers, but lousy executive and upper managment

Contract Manager (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsThe company offers a good salary. The company has many world class employees and subject matter experts to learn from and gain the necessary skills and work experience to be marketable in the IT profession.

ConsOnly take a job with this company if you have no other choices. The company is in a death spiral and has been shrinking for nearly 25 years. Unisys has poor upper and executive management, who lack the vision to reverse the trend and grow the company. The employees are always looking over their shoulder anticpating the next round of layoffs. The upper executives only seem to be interested in maximizing their compensation and using Unisys as a springboard to executive positions at other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent entrepreneurial executives. There have been countless startup technologies companies over the last twenty years that have left Unisys in the dust. Abandon the low margin "me too" services that Unisys has bet the ranch on over the last 20 years and develop innovative products and services that can put Unisys on the road to success.

Long tenure at Unisys

Procurement Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLot of opportunity to move horizonally within the company and experience a variety career paths. Lots of opportunities to work on many leading technologies or experience multiple company operations activities.

ConsHigh percentage of virtual workers - sometime good, sometimes makes communications & decision making more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore frequent communication to all company members.

Downsizing is the Way of Life

Director (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsNever have to worry about middle/upper management being in any way more innovative, educated or smarter than you.

ConsThe services division of the organization is mainly managed by ex-Field Engineers (repair people) who have decades of experience fixing equipment that required tubes and transistors. Their main objective is to hold on to their over inflated positions of which they are sorely under qualified to be managing. Education, ideas, strategy means nothing. Just make sure that you keep your incompetent management team ""looking good". If you enjoy this kind of mindless, degrading work, Unisys is for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementBite the bullet. Rid yourselves of this cancer that has been taking the company down for 15 years. The perceived value you will lose, is only a perception perpetuated by those "hanging on" based on seniority alone. Most of your real talent is walking out, or being walked out the door by these same people who are willing to sacrifice the good of the company for their own security and insecurity.

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!