Unisys

Unisys Reviews in Reston, VA

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman

Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

• Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights
40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best companies to retire but not a company to catapult your career to the next level

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsFlexible work environment, Good HR Practices, Initial Compensation offered is good as per industry standard.

ConsOld and myopic management who have lost track of what is happening around and where the industry is heading ! Negative politics and resistance towards outsourcing which leads to cost inflation and subsequently looses grounds to the other players in the industry who substantially outsources work to offer a very competitive price to it's clientele. Marketing style is that of the mid-80's. Employees are not trained on new stuff, especially when the industry is going through lot of paradigm shifts. Creativity and new ideas are seldom awarded and adopted !

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes , adapt or perish !!

OKay place to work - bring back telecommuting option

Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsGood people
    Sometime flexible hours, compensation is good

ConsBad leadership
    Office politics, stuck in bad old ways

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your dead load and keep really good employees

Not very challenging company.

Soluution Architecct (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThere good work life balance and good benefits

ConsYou get rusted as there is not much challenging work

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have coherent strategy to manage different groups and sectors

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant struggle with management for resources

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsWant to work at a big system integrator with a brand name they have it. Some good past performance with some clients.

ConsManagement is weak in public sector, they were missing their numbers so always looking to cut costs and push out sales people by blaming them for systemic issues in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace public sector leadership and invest in resources to bid successfully

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Lack of Vision in the Federal Marketplace

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsCompany promotes & encourages industry certifications

ConsLack of management leadership to retain right staff. Continued lay offs & cost cutting measures but are not resolving the real issue - which is inability to grow the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBiggest bang for the buck is to cut Executive level mgmt. The Federal organization has continued to decline over the past 6 years, yet the exec level mgmt stays the same.

YOU WERE NOTICED- Coming from a former "Top Performer"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsI was consistently rated as a top performer and laid off without notice.

ConsOff the cuff remarks below but if I really tried, I could expand on this area immensely. This organization is going through very difficult times and has implemented (from my perspective) severe cost saving measures to stay afloat. This includes:

- Hiring for your rolodex and then expect to be terminated.

- Coffee makers removed as a cost saving effort.

- Styrofoam cups removed as a cost saving effort. The executive team recommends that if you have a client visiting the office, bring a mug from home for their use (not a joke).

- Layoffs occurring throughout the organization and without notice. I have witnessed several hundred occur at all levels of the organization over the last few months. Typically, you show up for work and your badge and laptop is confiscated with no explanation or advance notice leaving you in the unemployment line.

- There is no promotion potential, nor a promotion process or career paths. Once you’re on board, any career movement is "lateral", without an increase, even if your title/ responsibilities are expanded.

- There are no pay raises....at all. The only route to a pay raise is an "unplanned salary action" which usually requires a threat to resign, even then its very difficult.

- There are no bonuses unless you are an executive, nothing.

- While we are on the executives..they are very arrogant and pompous. They all have their initials embroidered on their shirt sleeves, drive sports cars and sign pink slips if you’re not billable like it’s going out of style.

- Benefit plans recently changed, Unisys executives blamed it on Obamacare but really initiated as a cost saving effort... if you have a family stay away as it is very expensive.

- Executives realize Unisys is going through tough times, in fact...the President advised it is best to "keep your head down and keep working" at a recent all employee town hall.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at the way you are treating your employees. People will only "keep their heads down" so long.

Worked many different exciting roles over the years from which I had many learning and teaching experiences.

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsUnisys is keeping up with technology. Unisys provides education opportunities.

ConsNot keeping current customers happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the customer.

Not bad...if you want to be a number

Project Manager (Former Employee) Reston, VA

Prosi was able to spend lots of time with my family

Consbored.
    my team was overstaffed and i had to look for things to do.

Advice to Senior Managementuse resources wisely

Great company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsAt this company I was able to do a variety of tasks and get experience in several different aspects of a business. Specifically HR, admin, IT, technical writing

ConsUnisys is a IT services company so if you are working on a particular project, there is a chance the project will end and you will have to find somewhere else to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Overall positive, but information needed to perform job can be hard to come by, especially for new employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsGood health benefits and schedule flexibility, promoting work-life balance.

ConsNot enough support from upper management, which makes it difficult to implement improvements in processes and procedures for their employees.

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!