Unisys Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
2.9

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman
Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 55 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 25 reviews)

• Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive, lots of opportunities for growth.

I have been working at Unisys full-time

Pros

good leaders, advancement opportunities, name recognition

Cons

portfolio lags market, frequent reorgs

Overall positive experience

Current Employee - Project Manager in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong company IT legacy; innovative employees, genuinely nice people to work with

Cons

Not as well known for newer technologies and solutions as the larger IT companies

Keep driving new technologies

Positive

I have been working at Unisys full-time

Pros

Unisys is a stable company with a broad diversity of clients. This diversity lends itself to job stability, and opportunities.

Cons

Outsource environment includes restricted budgets, and typical pressures from both company and clients.

Great Potential

Current Employee - Director, Operations
    Current Employee - Director, Operations

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Portfolio is now focused and growth potential is hightened. Because of the environment exceptional teaming is demonstrated.

Cons

Management and mindset shifts hinder progress. Lack of flexible work options for those near Unisys sites really impinged morale. The Company does not support work/life balance any more.

Allow innovation - Hold people accountable and trust them more; reintroduce flexible work solutions

Challenging place to work

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a self-starter

Cons

Your only noticed if things are going wrong

Get involved with your people

Bad upper management, horrible communication and very slow progress on product development. Marketing is a joke.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in North Bergen, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in North Bergen, NJ

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance and benefits. Responsive IT help desk and support. Peers at your level are supportive.

Cons

Dinosaur sales staff has no confidence in new products and solutions being developed. It is a challenge to internally sell anything. Marketing needs an over haul starting at the top.

Get your act together, there is a reason why revenues have steadily fallen for a decade. Be supportive and factor in what employees suggest in the field.

Disappointing with regard to salary, promotions and pay increases

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best thing about working at Unisys. Quite a few people have left the company and then come back to Unisys. Work schedules are flexible.

Cons

Business has been declining over the last approximately 6 years, as it has with many government contractors. However, since Unisys federal business represents @ 15% of the company's business. Therefore, it is often difficult to convince the corporate structure that certain procedures and policies must be implemented in order to comply with legal requirements of government contract.
    Unisys is a difficult place at which to get a promotion. Often they have their employees perform jobs at least one layer above their titles, but no increase in salary is forthcoming.
    The indirect staff has not had raises for 4 years now. In order to try to cut costs, quite a few people have been laid off resulting in an increase to the workload of remaining staff.

Great start in the IT field

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a great place to get your foot in the door starting in the IT field, the pay was very decent and they were very patient with the training. I had all the tools I needed to help clients and increase my own knowledge.

Cons

Call center environment can be unpleasant, but that is the nature of the position. Management seemed a little detached

A great place to work, but be careful.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyday was different and I loved that. I never knew from one day to the next where I was going to be assigned or what I was going to be needed to do. It was never boring!

Cons

My direct manager never had actual work experience in the field. He's simply a "desk manager" with no understanding or appreciation of what a Technical Field Engineer does or has to go through. His ready answer to any problem was just get it done. He just saw the Spreadsheet and nothing else. A more junior manager was a Technician and I more often then not contacted him for advice, and since he actually did my kind of work, was a much, much better source of information on how to resolve my customer/technical issues.

Managers need to understand the work the people under him do. He just can't threaten them to do work they already know. I felt he just made you feel like your job is always at stake if you don't figure things out yourself, but when you do try to resolve it without disturbing him, you get lectured on not confirming with him first. It felt like a no-win situation. Along those same lines, there were no raises or money incentives. No matter how much good work I did or the positive reviews clients sent along to my manager (with me CC'ed on it) I never got so much as an atta-boy from him. The junior manager I mentioned previously DID compliment me but he had no input on my promotions/bonuses. I've worked 70-80 hours a week for jobs when the clients servers went down in an emergency and I was there to restore everything but my direct manager said nothing. I loved the work, but not my manager.

Good

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

ok to work for long term

Cons

slow growth and progress in career