Unisys Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.9

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman
Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

• Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great start in the IT field

Former Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a great place to get your foot in the door starting in the IT field, the pay was very decent and they were very patient with the training. I had all the tools I needed to help clients and increase my own knowledge.

Cons

Call center environment can be unpleasant, but that is the nature of the position. Management seemed a little detached

Good

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

ok to work for long term

Cons

slow growth and progress in career

A great place to work, but be careful.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyday was different and I loved that. I never knew from one day to the next where I was going to be assigned or what I was going to be needed to do. It was never boring!

Cons

My direct manager never had actual work experience in the field. He's simply a "desk manager" with no understanding or appreciation of what a Technical Field Engineer does or has to go through. His ready answer to any problem was just get it done. He just saw the Spreadsheet and nothing else. A more junior manager was a Technician and I more often then not contacted him for advice, and since he actually did my kind of work, was a much, much better source of information on how to resolve my customer/technical issues.

Managers need to understand the work the people under him do. He just can't threaten them to do work they already know. I felt he just made you feel like your job is always at stake if you don't figure things out yourself, but when you do try to resolve it without disturbing him, you get lectured on not confirming with him first. It felt like a no-win situation. Along those same lines, there were no raises or money incentives. No matter how much good work I did or the positive reviews clients sent along to my manager (with me CC'ed on it) I never got so much as an atta-boy from him. The junior manager I mentioned previously DID compliment me but he had no input on my promotions/bonuses. I've worked 70-80 hours a week for jobs when the clients servers went down in an emergency and I was there to restore everything but my direct manager said nothing. I loved the work, but not my manager.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for advancement if you have the right Director in your corner

Former Employee - Manager II  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great advancement for management positions
    Great Pay
    Worked from home twice a week

Cons

Directors have favorites
    Some managers did not get along with TSA federal workers always was conflict on projects because of non communication from the federal workers.

Hire more minorities and women in management positions

On a good track with new services!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New services
    Security focused
    Great low cost outsoursing solutions

Cons

large company - many chiefs

lots of training and opportunity once inside

Great Colleagues, Poor Management, Horrible Pay

Former Employee - Consultant II  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Co-workers for the most part are excellent and hardworking (especially at the architect and consultant level)
    - Managers at the project level are also hard working and for the most part were excellent (this applies to new implementation projects)
    - Work/Life balance is usually pretty fair. You can usually work out a flexible work schedule

Cons

- The pay is not adjusted for region and raises were reneged upon. Even obtaining a major promotion resulted in no pay increase (thanks for the pat on the back). I did a little research and a senior level consultant in my region was making about $20k more on average yearly.
    - Upper management is resistant to change and rewards all the wrong people. Director level position and upper level project managers were receiving the lion share of credit that consultants were performing.
    - Maintenance projects are poorly run and the management level drops significantly as Unisys was content collecting a paycheck every month.
    - Unisys allows great talent to leave to competing firms in the area working in the same area of practice. There was no effort to stem this practice and it was demoralizing to employees.
    - Was promised a raise, worked for a month longer with a "higher pay rate" only to find out that after I quit and cashed out that Unisys pulled the raise.

- Clean house with upper management
    - Pursue new opportunities with new technology
    - Commit to being a service company and ditch the mainframe business
    - Reward the people who actually perform the work with adequate pay (not just a cheap certificate of appreciation and a pat on the back.

12 years at Unisys and a lot of change

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady paycheck, somewhat steady work

Cons

Company continues to perform poorly. Benefits are constantly being taken away, some without notice.

stop collecting bonuses when the company consistently performs poorly.

Management is holding the company from moving forward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great commercial capabilities that could be leveraged into Federal

Cons

Federal leadership is focused on internal politics via stead of building customer relationships required to build business
    No new business has been won is many years
    Continued layoffs, but not at the right levels. Need to focus on non client facing roles first
    Duplicative overhead functions that do not support client facing programs and add little value- resource management, ops concierge, sales operations.

Look at overhead costs first when cutting costs. How are these functions contributing to building the business? Hold all overhead functions accountable.

Interesting

Current Employee - Channel Sales  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Channel Sales in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Filled with highly technical, knowledgable, smart engineers, long history in IT, gets the job done, most employees here over 20 years

Cons

Old thinking, can't get out of the past, not nimble or agile, weighed down with their internal institution, horrible marketers, cannot figure out the new way of doing business, potentially lost in the past

Open your eyes and hire new blood, advertise, make your solutions known to the public, take care of all of your people, not just a select few. Innovate!

Big System Integrator part of beltway bandit

Former Employee - IT Manager
    Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company with with good benefits lot of big contracts

Cons

No career growth, dead end Govt. sector contracts, very little investment in employees in terms training and career development. Company segregated into fiefdoms

Consolidate business sectors, break down fiefdom culture

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!