Unisys

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015

Unisys President & CEO Peter Altabef
Peter Altabef

Pros
  • Good Work-life Balance as you move along thee career niche (in 63 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 27 reviews)

• Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Stagnant wages

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Heavily matrixed management. Provides opportunities to grow. Great online educational opportunities.

Cons

No raises - ever - even when changed position to a classification at a significantly higher pay scale. Even when new hires are brought in a significantly higher rates - with fewer skills.

You will experience a mass exodus of experienced workers as the job market continues to open up. Thi sis a strategy I do not understand.

So far, so good!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Unisys (less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here a few months, but I can tell you that the comments below are definitely dependent on the location and managers you work for... just like any large company. Check your facts before you join because comments like "no benefits" just aren't true. So far I have been very happy and have found the people to be great!

Cons

I guess I have not been here long enough to become disgruntled. No complaints.

Learn how to compensate people to retain & reward the top performers. Salaries are low depending on project/contract.

Worked there for 11 years. Met my wife there.

I worked at Unisys

Pros

Challenging cross functional emphasis. Rewarding experience. Good work-lif balance. One of my former bosses always told me "family always comes first".

Cons

Not all bosses would follow the above advise. Expectations were different for different departments. Maybe I was just lucky. But overall company values were family and group oriented.

Develop a more consistent review process of employees. Mine were quite different depending on who I was working for at the time.

Great company until the decision to hire a new department head.

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible time, easy access from home when required. It was a great company to work for until they hired the new department head.

Cons

None until the new management came in. Unisys also does not provide coffee to employees, which in my mind is essential.

Flexibility with proposal department employees is essential. Providing coffee to employees is also essential.

Politics... Lots of Politics!!!

Former Employee - Support Specialist III/Agent Level II in North Salt Lake, UT
    Former Employee - Support Specialist III/Agent Level II in North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to gain lots of experience. great platformer company to start off a career with. Decent benefits. Decent starting wage for only needing a high school diploma. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

If you are with UTS, it is very difficult to migrate over to UIS, as they have to technically fire you before they can hire you again. UTS got the short end of the stick as far as benefits go. Also, the advancement oppurtunity is very limited there, as all the higher paying positions are with UIS. Also, most of the managers play politics, and don't care about their employees. If you are looking to avoid drama in the work place, this is not the place for you. Unfortunately, it does take more than a good honest hard worker to get perks within the positions. It takes a lot of brown-nosing.

If you get reports of suspicious activities about your supervisors, you should look into it, rather than just trusting them over all of their underlings.

satisfactory work at Unisys Global Services India

I worked at Unisys

Pros

Got to learn Objective C with on site training

Cons

rigid and hierarchical structure of the company employees

Enjoyable career beginning

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

Its great to have guaranteed hours and I've made great friends. The work environment is enjoyable. The management that cared are great.

Cons

Depending on the contract, the call volume can be overwhelming. Certain managers at times can be apathetic and ineffective.

Awesome company, amazing team, fantastic environment . . .mediocre pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Unisys as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around the company and try and learn new things. Great exposure to new technologies and concepts as well as varying roles of Information Technology. The people you work with will be your best friends and will feel like family in a matter of days or weeks. You'll actually LOOK FORWARD to going into the office, not because of the job, but because of the people you have the honor of sharing a work space with. Team building events and parties every time you turn around. It's a big ol' company that acts like a small start up and that's a good thing when it comes to environment, attitude and work relationships. The ability to work from home as often as necessary for certain positions is also very nice.

Cons

Their purse strings are extremely tight when it comes to compensation. You may find that your pay isn't quite in line with your skill set and market value. Not just your self-assessed market value but what you may actually find as offers from other companies. It may sound like a petty gripe, and it is, but it's my only REAL complaint. You'll see some people who should be earning virtually double their pay but are not because they got caught in a freeze.

The benefits are good but not phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination. Similar to what you'll find out there in other big companies but I've seen small companies with better benefits.

I really don't have anything to advise as the management is very in touch with their employees from my experience. They listen and take action as quickly as possible. They'll fight for you and stand by your side every step of the way so I have nothing of benefit to add.

Sharing my experience with Company

I worked at Unisys

Pros

Work culture and regular team lunch

Cons

Not much scope for contractors

Ok

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great resume builder and experience

Cons

Lack of career mobility