Unisys Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
2.9

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman
Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

• Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

ok to work for long term

Cons

slow growth and progress in career

A great place to work, but be careful.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyday was different and I loved that. I never knew from one day to the next where I was going to be assigned or what I was going to be needed to do. It was never boring!

Cons

My direct manager never had actual work experience in the field. He's simply a "desk manager" with no understanding or appreciation of what a Technical Field Engineer does or has to go through. His ready answer to any problem was just get it done. He just saw the Spreadsheet and nothing else. A more junior manager was a Technician and I more often then not contacted him for advice, and since he actually did my kind of work, was a much, much better source of information on how to resolve my customer/technical issues.

Managers need to understand the work the people under him do. He just can't threaten them to do work they already know. I felt he just made you feel like your job is always at stake if you don't figure things out yourself, but when you do try to resolve it without disturbing him, you get lectured on not confirming with him first. It felt like a no-win situation. Along those same lines, there were no raises or money incentives. No matter how much good work I did or the positive reviews clients sent along to my manager (with me CC'ed on it) I never got so much as an atta-boy from him. The junior manager I mentioned previously DID compliment me but he had no input on my promotions/bonuses. I've worked 70-80 hours a week for jobs when the clients servers went down in an emergency and I was there to restore everything but my direct manager said nothing. I loved the work, but not my manager.

Great place for advancement if you have the right Director in your corner

Former Employee - Manager II  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great advancement for management positions
    Great Pay
    Worked from home twice a week

Cons

Directors have favorites
    Some managers did not get along with TSA federal workers always was conflict on projects because of non communication from the federal workers.

Hire more minorities and women in management positions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On a good track with new services!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New services
    Security focused
    Great low cost outsoursing solutions

Cons

large company - many chiefs

lots of training and opportunity once inside

Contract workers view

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Unisys as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Work is different every day. You can work at your own pace. You learn new skills every week, to advance your career. You have good coworkers to help you.

Cons

Too many to list, without sounding bitter.

12 years at Unisys and a lot of change

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady paycheck, somewhat steady work

Cons

Company continues to perform poorly. Benefits are constantly being taken away, some without notice.

stop collecting bonuses when the company consistently performs poorly.

Management is holding the company from moving forward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great commercial capabilities that could be leveraged into Federal

Cons

Federal leadership is focused on internal politics via stead of building customer relationships required to build business
    No new business has been won is many years
    Continued layoffs, but not at the right levels. Need to focus on non client facing roles first
    Duplicative overhead functions that do not support client facing programs and add little value- resource management, ops concierge, sales operations.

Look at overhead costs first when cutting costs. How are these functions contributing to building the business? Hold all overhead functions accountable.

Interesting

Current Employee - Channel Sales  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Channel Sales in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Filled with highly technical, knowledgable, smart engineers, long history in IT, gets the job done, most employees here over 20 years

Cons

Old thinking, can't get out of the past, not nimble or agile, weighed down with their internal institution, horrible marketers, cannot figure out the new way of doing business, potentially lost in the past

Open your eyes and hire new blood, advertise, make your solutions known to the public, take care of all of your people, not just a select few. Innovate!

Big System Integrator part of beltway bandit

Former Employee - IT Manager
    Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company with with good benefits lot of big contracts

Cons

No career growth, dead end Govt. sector contracts, very little investment in employees in terms training and career development. Company segregated into fiefdoms

Consolidate business sectors, break down fiefdom culture

Growing experience with some pain

Current Employee - Consultant II  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unisys has a lot to offer me, but they are not fair about it. With that being said, pros would be my coworkers have a ton of experience and advice to offer. The company is knowledgeable in their areas of expertise. Work form home options, compensation when traveling, fair vacation and sick policies, and somewhat stable employment if assigned to good projects.

Cons

Salary and incentives are terrible.One significant raise despite two significant promotions. Company is experiencing hardships, thus salary increases are infrequent/non-existent, layoffs, and there is too much overhead in terms of upper management (those who don't actually contribute to the bottom line or client relationships). Seems like the people that are actually making the company money are paid terrible. Company charges client way more than the actual employee doing the work will see. I've had four different HR managers, and only met two in person (none of which I worked with on a regular basis).

Respect and compensate employees who are actually contributing. increase salary for those who have done time, have contributed to the success of Unisys, and who have awesome performance and great reviews (especially those who have reviews from clients and coworkers). When your valued employees are complaining, you know the company is doing something wrong.

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!