Unisys

Unisys Reviews

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

Peter Altabef

Pros
  • Good Work-life Balance as you move along thee career niche (in 63 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 27 reviews)

• Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Place to Work - Only If You're A WASP

Former Employee - Contractor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Unisys as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a steady paycheck, as long as you can tolerate the atrocious corporate culture. Otherwise, this crevasse is devoid of any redeeming qualities.

Cons

1) The good old boy culture that treats straight, White, over age 40 males as if they walk on water.
    2) Listening to the males from #1 openly denigrate women, minorities, gays, the disabled, and anyone with a foreign accent with no fear of repercussions.
    3) Listening to the males from #1 openly claim that attractive women at Unisys received their positions by way of the casting couch, again with no fear of repercussions.
    4) Training is non-existent unless you're one of the chosen few deemed worthy enough to receive training. Everyone else has to learn by being called out for mistakes.
    5) Communication is non-existent unless you do something wrong.
    6) No work-life balance. You're expected to work 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week and only receive pay for 40 hours.
    7) If you're a hard worker but not a sycophant, management will not support you. If you're incompetent but a sycophant, management loves you.
    8) Confidentiality is non-existent. Certain person starts every conversation with the words "This is just between you and me" before revealing confidential HR-related and company confidential data.
    9) Too many out of touch managers.
    10) Too many uneducated employees and managers who are envious of people far more educated.
    11) Lack of diversity.
    12) Too many old men with old ideas. It's like "Mad Men" circa 2014, but with the same tired 1960's mentality.
    13) Contractor email addresses have "non-Unisys" designation (ex. Doe, John non-Unisys). Lets everyone know instantly you're not a "real" Unisys employee.
    14) It's only a matter of time before Unisys requires workers to provide their own toilet paper.

1) Improve training.
    2) Improve communications.
    3) Embrace diversity.
    4) Retire/resign already.

Thinking about quitting every day

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

The best reasons for working here: the money and the colleagues.
    They pay you well, and you can be part of a young multicultural team, you can make new friends here.
    The coffee is for free.
    You must learn a huge amount of information - it keeps your brain active.
    You have the opportunity to switch languages every 5 minutes - you can talk to clients from all kinds of nations.

Cons

There is a huge amount of work that is expected - in theory I have 10 minutes break after every working hour, in practice, most of the time I cannot even go out to the toilet.
    Less agents are working than the clients know of, some agents have 2, 3 accounts, all in different languages.
    A call has to be answered in 10 minutes, but the 1 minute after call is included in those 10 minutes.
    Sometimes the logging of a ticket can take up to 10 minutes if I want to be thorough, and I have to identify the problem, take over the computer, solve the problem and log the ticket in 10 minutes - it is mission impossible.
    Sometimes 5-6 tickets are standing open, and I don't have time to log them because the calls are coming in - I don't even remember what it was in them.
    The SMEs are few, usually not available, you can assign a ticket to the second level only in the worst case.
    Every minute you spend in the company is recorded. You cannot be late, even a second is being counted, but you are expected to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your shift and log in to all the systems so that you can receive calls at the beginning of your shift. You can log out when your shift finishes, but logging out from all the applications take 5-10 minutes. Half an hour unpaid work each day.
    It is inhuman what they expect from workers. I don't feel like being a person any more - just a humanoid robot working hard to make profit for someone high above me on the shelf.
    Hope I can leave this mess of a company soon.

Think like this: Maybe keeping the good workers would be more profitable than squeezing every bit of energy out of young people and then throwing them away like garbage.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Partner in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Partner in Reston, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They paid a decent salary and occasionally provided interesting work. Otherwise, not much good to say about them. Very unpleasant experience working there.

Cons

Where do I start? Clueless management, incompetent executives, no strategic vision, perpetual layoffs every year, miserable corporate culture. Tired old company that needs to just go out of business.

Do the honorable thing and resign.

Unisys Corp is the most unethical company that has crossed my path, I have read of worst but I'm not counting them

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady pay check but so is drug dealing or prositution. Mediocre medical coverage that could be improve in the private insurance market.

Cons

They have no concern for their employee's physical or mental health. And the put the public in danger by making their field engineers drive after a 35 hour day of work. Liability insurance won't cover stupidity. They constantly want Us to keep SLAs with complete disregard for public safty and with no bonuses or pay raise being given to the people doing the job. Every other company that I have worked for in my 35 year career has received bonuses from their clients and passed on to their field employees but at Unisys, the bonus stops trickling down at the manager level.

When you fire somebody have good cause and make sure the former employee has a personal communication device. By instantly, and with no warning, leaving a person with no means to call family is not only unethical but dangerous too. It showes Unsys' compleate disregard for public safety. One other thing, call your former employee with health insurance status but the former employee has no phone.

Started well, ended badly

Former Employee - Team Lead
    Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some great co workers. Used to have good benefits and a laid back atmosphere. Was really excited to be hired there initially. At one point the best job I ever had.

Cons

It got worse and worse and worse. Good managers were replaced with bad managers, employees fled, benefits were slashed, things got bad enough I had to be on anti anxiety medication just to go to work.

They have no idea on how to treat staff, there "American" model does not work in Australia

Current Employee - Field Service Technician (Defence) in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician (Defence) in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

cant say anything nice about management, the people you work with (upper management excluded) are generally very good

Cons

staff ongoing training non existent, staff pay rises non existent, company supplied uniforms, I got two shirts once (been working for them over 3 years). Apparently we do a fantastic job but that's all we get, bonus's for excellent performance don't exist for non management. wage parity non existent, I work with others doing exact same job (same age) but they get 20-30k more, some get 10-20k less, seems they pick a sum out of the air and that's your carved in stone wage for ever, don't expect a pay rise ever. Too stingy to even provide a Christmas party for staff. Most staff constantly on the look out for jobs elsewhere, I could go on forever !

Get rid of the American influence, Their rules DO NOT apply in Australia yet we are forced to live by them. Start treating your staff like they are your biggest asset, bring back in wage parity, give all non management staff the pay rises and cpi increases as dictated by Australian work standards ! After all everyone knows the Aussie operation and the profits we generate here are propping up the American circus which haemorrhages money. Get an Australian CEO who has a set of balls ! Pay staff weekly instead of monthly.

Do not waste your time,,,

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady income with no raise, EVER!

Cons

Maneuvering around the office bureaucracy and practices of hiring by favoritism (clicks).

Racial overtones against India or other minority groups and placing favorites in underserving positions. Handle meetings in a professional manner; labeling terminated employees in a derogative manner, insulting customers in leadership meetings, belittling subordinates in emails, etc...

Field technician

Former Employee - Field Technician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Technician in New York, NY

I worked at Unisys as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Better than no job at all...I suppose.

Cons

Pay is low, Hours are never certain,no management. Some people think a job like this would open the doors for them in terms of experience, it doesn't. Dealing with hardware only is the start up of a dead end job/career.

Hasn't stopped declining since the 1970's

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

Their federal business may have some potential, but they are going for the least cost technically acceptable model

Cons

Just announced a loss of $12Million and cancellation of bonuses

Borderline Scam (field techs beware)

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Albany, NY

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours. As long as you get the job done management usually doesn't contact you.

Cons

Worked in VA for Unisys as a field tech for a couple years in VA. Was asked if I wanted to move to Albany, NY because they needed help in the area. I agreed and moved from a stable position in VA. Got to Albany and was lucky to get 15 hours a week. Management kept promising an upturn in call volume so I didn't seek other work. I was laid off shortly after that. No moving expenses reimbursed, just a pile of debt. Thanks Unisys, you're swell.