Unisys Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman
Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 56 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 25 reviews)

• Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Unisys

Pros

ok to work for long term

Cons

slow growth and progress in career

Great place for advancement if you have the right Director in your corner

Former Employee - Manager II in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great advancement for management positions
    Great Pay
    Worked from home twice a week

Cons

Directors have favorites
    Some managers did not get along with TSA federal workers always was conflict on projects because of non communication from the federal workers.

Hire more minorities and women in management positions

Disappointing with regard to salary, promotions and pay increases

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best thing about working at Unisys. Quite a few people have left the company and then come back to Unisys. Work schedules are flexible.

Cons

Business has been declining over the last approximately 6 years, as it has with many government contractors. However, since Unisys federal business represents @ 15% of the company's business. Therefore, it is often difficult to convince the corporate structure that certain procedures and policies must be implemented in order to comply with legal requirements of government contract.
    Unisys is a difficult place at which to get a promotion. Often they have their employees perform jobs at least one layer above their titles, but no increase in salary is forthcoming.
    The indirect staff has not had raises for 4 years now. In order to try to cut costs, quite a few people have been laid off resulting in an increase to the workload of remaining staff.

Great Colleagues, Poor Management, Horrible Pay

Former Employee - Consultant II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Co-workers for the most part are excellent and hardworking (especially at the architect and consultant level)
    - Managers at the project level are also hard working and for the most part were excellent (this applies to new implementation projects)
    - Work/Life balance is usually pretty fair. You can usually work out a flexible work schedule

Cons

- The pay is not adjusted for region and raises were reneged upon. Even obtaining a major promotion resulted in no pay increase (thanks for the pat on the back). I did a little research and a senior level consultant in my region was making about $20k more on average yearly.
    - Upper management is resistant to change and rewards all the wrong people. Director level position and upper level project managers were receiving the lion share of credit that consultants were performing.
    - Maintenance projects are poorly run and the management level drops significantly as Unisys was content collecting a paycheck every month.
    - Unisys allows great talent to leave to competing firms in the area working in the same area of practice. There was no effort to stem this practice and it was demoralizing to employees.
    - Was promised a raise, worked for a month longer with a "higher pay rate" only to find out that after I quit and cashed out that Unisys pulled the raise.

- Clean house with upper management
    - Pursue new opportunities with new technology
    - Commit to being a service company and ditch the mainframe business
    - Reward the people who actually perform the work with adequate pay (not just a cheap certificate of appreciation and a pat on the back.

Management is holding the company from moving forward

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great commercial capabilities that could be leveraged into Federal

Cons

Federal leadership is focused on internal politics via stead of building customer relationships required to build business
    No new business has been won is many years
    Continued layoffs, but not at the right levels. Need to focus on non client facing roles first
    Duplicative overhead functions that do not support client facing programs and add little value- resource management, ops concierge, sales operations.

Look at overhead costs first when cutting costs. How are these functions contributing to building the business? Hold all overhead functions accountable.

Interesting

Current Employee - Channel Sales in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Channel Sales in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Filled with highly technical, knowledgable, smart engineers, long history in IT, gets the job done, most employees here over 20 years

Cons

Old thinking, can't get out of the past, not nimble or agile, weighed down with their internal institution, horrible marketers, cannot figure out the new way of doing business, potentially lost in the past

Open your eyes and hire new blood, advertise, make your solutions known to the public, take care of all of your people, not just a select few. Innovate!

A great place to work, but be careful.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Newark, NJ

I worked at Unisys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyday was different and I loved that. I never knew from one day to the next where I was going to be assigned or what I was going to be needed to do. It was never boring!

Cons

My direct manager never had actual work experience in the field. He's simply a "desk manager" with no understanding or appreciation of what a Technical Field Engineer does or has to go through. His ready answer to any problem was just get it done. He just saw the Spreadsheet and nothing else. A more junior manager was a Technician and I more often then not contacted him for advice, and since he actually did my kind of work, was a much, much better source of information on how to resolve my customer/technical issues.

Managers need to understand the work the people under him do. He just can't threaten them to do work they already know. I felt he just made you feel like your job is always at stake if you don't figure things out yourself, but when you do try to resolve it without disturbing him, you get lectured on not confirming with him first. It felt like a no-win situation. Along those same lines, there were no raises or money incentives. No matter how much good work I did or the positive reviews clients sent along to my manager (with me CC'ed on it) I never got so much as an atta-boy from him. The junior manager I mentioned previously DID compliment me but he had no input on my promotions/bonuses. I've worked 70-80 hours a week for jobs when the clients servers went down in an emergency and I was there to restore everything but my direct manager said nothing. I loved the work, but not my manager.

On a good track with new services!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New services
    Security focused
    Great low cost outsoursing solutions

Cons

large company - many chiefs

lots of training and opportunity once inside

Growing experience with some pain

Current Employee - Consultant II in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unisys has a lot to offer me, but they are not fair about it. With that being said, pros would be my coworkers have a ton of experience and advice to offer. The company is knowledgeable in their areas of expertise. Work form home options, compensation when traveling, fair vacation and sick policies, and somewhat stable employment if assigned to good projects.

Cons

Salary and incentives are terrible.One significant raise despite two significant promotions. Company is experiencing hardships, thus salary increases are infrequent/non-existent, layoffs, and there is too much overhead in terms of upper management (those who don't actually contribute to the bottom line or client relationships). Seems like the people that are actually making the company money are paid terrible. Company charges client way more than the actual employee doing the work will see. I've had four different HR managers, and only met two in person (none of which I worked with on a regular basis).

Respect and compensate employees who are actually contributing. increase salary for those who have done time, have contributed to the success of Unisys, and who have awesome performance and great reviews (especially those who have reviews from clients and coworkers). When your valued employees are complaining, you know the company is doing something wrong.

Contract workers view

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Unisys as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work is different every day. You can work at your own pace. You learn new skills every week, to advance your career. You have good coworkers to help you.

Cons

Too many to list, without sounding bitter.