Unisys

Unisys Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman

Ed Coleman

Pros
  • Good work life balance, management supports innovation (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation, Senior Management - No people management skills (in 23 reviews)

• Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Disproportionate expectations

Break/Fix Technician (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

Pros-I got to travel alot.
    -I learned how to fix fix various systems.
    -The tech that trained me was knowledgeable and friendly.

ConsFor $10/hour I had to sign a release for my health and financial records.
    No time table was given for obtaining my certifications.
    Unisys terminated my employment in a week's time with no reason given.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor such a low salary, it's not worth giving out health and financial records to a corporation.

Great Entry-Level IT

Request Management Coordinator (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsUnisys offers a challenging environment that will keep you on your toes and not know what to expect from day to day

ConsUnisys offers a challenging environment that will keep you on your toes and not know what to expect from day to day

Advice to Senior ManagementThe biggest piece of advice I can give to Mgmt is you need to firm up your communication about things that directly impact employees. We're left 'interpreting' the Quarterly and Annual financial performance of the company and wondering if that will impact whether or not we're getting a raise and left to read the tea leaves. If we're not going to get a raise, just come out and say it. If we're going to get a raise, just come out and say it.

Horrible Work Life Balance

Grunt (Current Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsVery few pro's. If you want to learn how to be hated then that is the only pro I could find. Management is universally disliked.

ConsThere is absolutely no work life balance. You are expected to work 24x7. As a contractor they want you to work ungodly hours but pay you for 8 hours - reluctantly. They are focused entirely on profits. Managers are driven entirely by profit and do not care about employees. Overall the stock price drives the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doing the best they can

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsFlexible work hours, Casual atmosphere

Conslosing business, unstable, shaky future

Advice to Senior Managementmaking everyone come back to the office vs the previous flexible work arrangements has created a lot of unrest and dissatisfaction. The cube farm is full of people on the phone. Let people work from home, it was the only perk you were able to provide and now that's gone, anyone that's halfway decent will follow.

Old School Big Company, Future is uncertain

Client Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsLong lasting company. been around forever.

Consvision is not clear. not changing the right things to keep up with competition

not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits- meager no more to say about it very disappointing , antiquated

Conslack of real management, lack of support, low wage

Advice to Senior Managementalready given , no improvement

Common Sense went out the window. Management is shielded from doing any wrong. Your'e just a chump to be pushed around

UTS Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsNONE, if there is a pro, then you could say it might be better then manual labor, but your'e treated as such in a seat with a monitor, but been wrong before.

Cons1. MICROMANAGEMENT, 2. REVOLVING DOOR, 3. TRAIN ALL IN THE SAME QUEUES, 4. MANAGEMENT ARE BULLIES. 5. KINDERGARTEN RULES. This is for the Call Center side of Unisys Called UTS. Been doing this with them for 4.5 years. It started out as a good queue more or less, then over time it went from getting things done, to now being number games(more money for the supervisors) and following process(whatever that means) and internal politics. There stock reflects there poor choices in how they manage queues to the ground. They deserve what they get. They bring anyone off the streets(it seems they need no computer schooling or training), so it brings in lousy support, and it has become a pass the buck type of work(with newbies training newbies, because the older group that knew what they were doing have been pushed out or fired). When new people come in the door they get approx. 13.50 a hour or more, and they don't care about the ones who have been there for years, paying them 11 dollars a hour(keep in mind, most of the old group had some sort of schooling and certifications) when I started poking around asking too many questions the management told me its just a industry standard, and everyone does it, hence #2. When it comes to support, for example Unisys will say they hired you for Navartis support and next thing you know they just take you and throw you to Microsoft department. It's a nightmare from the time you sit down in the initial training class til your fired/quit(once in the department they will say your trained just for messaging queue, but then a week later you will be told that your now supporting 3 additional queues. Once on the floor however you will find that you were duped! The reason being, is that you will see many in that department have only been trained in one of those queues and never trained in the others. And on top of that, they are getting paid the same amount of money that you make or more, even though you have more training/skill and expertise(That's when you say what the heck is going on here? This isn't right!) And because of this the queue burns(meaning they don't have enough bodies to support all of the queues for the amount of calls coming in, and this generates many cold xfers to you from your fellow co-workers, so your are in constant state of misery with call after call, and micromanagement on top of that). They now only base a persons new schedule on performance, they ruined it and took away the longevity(so your just another piece of meat in a seat, and remember there judging your stats against some of those that are in only one queue, so you can never measure up to there stats, its all so bogus and such a joke!) Don't waste your time with trying to get into L2 or upper management positions. They already have the person in mind before they interview(there friends or relatives) which are almost always Women including HR. Men are almost all the worker bees, and are treated as chumps. HR will do nothing to help you, and they will protect there own, and will destroy you if you get in there way when you bring up any of there wrongs to them. Everything is a can't, can't, can't(hence number 4.) even though it didn't start out that way, Unisys makes up things as they go now and all good things come to a end. Hence #2. Last thing: Don't bother with there insurance as its next to garbage and no benefits, hence this will end up causing #2, get the picture?

Advice to Senior ManagementYour tactics are boorish and lame. If you continue your trends and it only hurts you in the end. Start with bringing common sense back to the business. You have many senior Top level people that basically do nothing except think about there next golf game, and they couldn't give a hoot about the employee. Hence, you deserve what happens to your UTS program. You need the seasoned technical agents that know what there doing, and you need to listen to them. Start paying these people what they deserve as they have been doing this a long time. Make them your trainers and your L2's, not just someone's cousin down the street because there 'cool' or because you 'trust' them cause there family or friends. This only breeds jealousy and contention in the work place, as your workers see that you don't care about them. DON'T GET RID OF TECHNICAL AGENTS THAT HAVE BEEN THERE A LONG TIME, you are creating a queue of newbies that don't know what there doing. This causes many problems, including redo tickets. Don't hire people that have no knowledge of computers, it only does disservice to the clients calling in for help, and puts pressure on seasoned agents to stop what there doing and help there colleagues. HIRE MORE BODIES all around, and especially for night queues, and stop letting India control the schedules on the queues. There is always too many bodies between 5 AM and 11AM and not enough between 3-6PM. Stop supporting everything under the sun, there is a reason why it's always been said, "It's unsupported," your causing guessing games for agents and just ticking off the client. Redirecting people to the appropriate place is and has ALWAYS been established in call center environments, for the reason that you don't seem to understand: It's called you are opening a can of worms. Stop the micromanagement B.S. Workers know your games, and by you continuing to do this, it will only motivate them to leave the company, because they see the place is being run by idiots and morons. Relax on rules, its a call center, they can still work professionally and wear hats and shorts, the internet is part of the job( you underestimate an agents ability to get work done while multitasking) and if there on it so what, quit being the policy police and be a friend. Get rid of the aluminum lighting, it causes agents to have headaches while staring at a screen all day(obviously whatever engineer thought this one up didn't ever take calls while looking at a computer screen all day). When a supervisor does bad in a queue, you don't move them to another queue, you fire them. And Don't bring in another set of supervisors from another queue like Fannie Mae/Ameriprise or Amgen(that are pass the buck queues) to a queue like Microsoft. As those managers have no technical abilities and have never troubleshooted a day in there life(because most that I have seen, if not all haven't a clue what to do when it comes to Networking and OSIE).

Shell of its pioneering history

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsLot of solid talent has grown up from Unisys. A rich history of computer engineering.

ConsBad management, terrible vision, low pay

Not what it used to be...

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsRich history and awesome operating systems and hardware platforms. If you're in a position that makes money, and if you can satisfy management's whims, there is sometimes job security. In my years of employment, I've gotten some good raises - but only by changing jobs or relocating. Some contracts offer stable employment - if they can only keep them alive. 401k company match is 50% up to 6%. Highly skilled employee base (those who are left).

ConsLimited healthcare options (only high deductible plans available now)... Raises frozen in multiple recent years due to cost concerns. Management structure changes regularly. Corporate goals and the latest, greatest thing seems to change every year. Employees who earn good revenue are not recognized or paid well - instead are trapped in non-compete agreements that prevent easy outs.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit cutting people; quit cutting programs; quit investing time and money in the latest faddish 'solution' that gets dropped in a couple years. Customers might like, for example, adopting Java on your mainframe, but not if that means Java will get dropped in a couple years because it's too much trouble for too little profit. Do that enough times and they'll start looking for solutions off-platform and for other solution providers.

Great place to start a career in IT.

Help Desk Agent (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsLots of opportunities to learn. Lots of tech oriented people who love to talk tech and learn new things.

ConsManagement tends to be slow with common tasks such as hiring contract employees to full time, and doesn't seem to manage submitted paperwork very well. I had to submit my contract-to-hire paperwork 5 times, and it took much longer to go to full time permanent employee than was agreed by my contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementProcess paperwork when it's submitted and stop losing the applications.

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!