United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 30, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job (in 112 reviews)

• Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management has no regard for customers or employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights
219 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Corporate Intern for United Airliines in the Internal Audit Department

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people within the department were knowledgable and extremely friendly. Even as an Intern I really felt part of the team and was able to contribute to the company. Also, the flight benefits made for a really fun summer filled with weekend adventures!

ConsAirline industry as a whole has had a rough couple of years recently, but everything seems to be turning around!

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsChicago's Hometown Airline has offered numerous wonderful opportunities to me for almost 30 years.

ConsNone that I can think of right now.

Interesting and challenging work and great people

Finance Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIn a very challenging industry there are always opportunities to learn. Teammates are supportive. Great travel benefits. Hours allow for a reasonable work/life balance.

ConsCould be more social events at the company, both informal and formal.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very approachable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough but friendly place to work.

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay, good 401k. Flight benefits are nice but you need to find a seat which is getting tough. Friendly environment to work in.

ConsCan be difficult to move up in organization. Several people in management have little or no leadership skills and it seriously hurts your team if one of them is in charge of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of most of the small regional planes and bring more work and flights into the main line fleets.

Best of the experience

MBA Corporate Insurance (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMakes you feel like part of every project decision.
    Get to learn a great deal about Aviation, a niche market
    Intern events are just amazing

ConsIndustry has ups and downs. So career growth could also fluctuate.

A great airline with friendly people and fantastic benefits

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTalented co-workers, good pay, space-available flight benefits, positive-space travel for business, interesting projects, and challenging workload.

ConsNo significant cons, and certainly none that outweigh the pros, but the corporate culture is a little strange and still somewhat divided as a result of the 2010 UA/CO merger.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop the already well-structured internship program. It does a great job of building brand loyalty and peaking college students' interest in airline careers.

Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFantastic, ever changing business that's tough and never boring. Flight benefits are excellent. Many co-workers are great people to work with. A lot of great career opportunities, and the HQ city - Chicago - is a fantastic place to live and work.

ConsWeaker leadership at the highest of levels - primarily C level team. Culture in the field is considered to be weak, displaying little faith in the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off on the excuses for under-performance and instead make yourself visible to the operations personnel at the company. Being available, transparent, and willing to aid the line employees helps create a bond between management and the field, but more importantly will help create the solid culture we all want at United.

Good organizational culture and work-life balance. Excellent travel benefits and great partnership alliances.

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagement is approachable, friendly environment, airlines geeks can inspire/motivate. Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area. Opportunities to move around the organization.

ConsPayscale is not up to the market, company is going through the challenges of a merger - environment may seem a little turbulent than usual. Over investment in segmented technology tools without full integration.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefining a unified strategic and branding message that clearly defines who we are and what the value proposition is.

United has been an excellent source of corporate aviaiton experience, showcasing a great corporate culture.

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job. I've enjoyed the travel, but the office is very rewarding as well. Co-workers care about each others well-being, and everyone was eager to help me. Despite my beginner level, my supervisor was not afraid to give me new projects to handle.

ConsAlthough it is not the case for every intern, I received zero pay for my three months work. Regardless of pay, the airline industry is an ever changing entity. Job security is never assured.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement flip-flopped on their expectations. One day, I would be given several tasks and the responsibility for editing a formal report to the FAA; moreover, some managers speculated that I could develop a tool, which was way beyond my abilities. Then other times, my supervisor gave me nothing to work on for an entire week.

I would like more consistent responsibilities and empowerment.

Too much corporate politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe employees here are diverse and come from a wise range of experience. They are all wonderful people to work with.

ConsMiddle and upper management. They just don't see the bigger picture when it comes to hiring. For instance, you want more experienced people for lower positions, expect to pay more regardless. They choose their friends or external people they know nothing about over people who have dedicated a lifetime of loyalty to the company. Expect to not move up in your position unless you A) become best friends with upper management (Good luck with that its a fairly small clique) or B) the company goes through some pitfall where they are forced to reduce employees and up the titles.

And you don't want me to get started on the people skills between two companies after the merger. Individually they are nice but they don't see the bigger picture, we are one company now, time to help each other to grow and stop holding onto old mentalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to show more respect to those who have lesser title than them because they are just as capable and smart (otherwise they would not be hired in the first place). There needs to be better communication and opportunities to bring the department together.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!