United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews in Elk Grove Village, IL

Updated Jun 16, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job(in 112 reviews)

• Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it(in 29 reviews)

• Upper management has no regard for customers or employees(in 22 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A company with good benefits that I love to work for.

Distribution Coordinator (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsYou get great flying benefits and some of the nicest people to work with.

Consmy only down side is that I had to work on Sundays.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry working in the lower class shoes for a day or share their job for a day just to see what it is like. Even do an undercover boss one day.

20 year review

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsExcellent in the early 80's through early 90's

ConsManagement is threatened if employees are praised by others

Advice to Senior ManagementBe happy when you have employees that are excellent instead of being threatened

It was very helpful in utilizing my Risk Management skills

Risk Management (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsI love to travel and experience different culturs and people

ConsAt the time United Airlines were merging and the company was not stable

Advice to Senior ManagementValuable people should be protected from losing their jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it's ok to work for

Storekeeper (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

Prosthe flight benefits are good if you can get on

Consthey need to increase starting salary. it takes 10 years for the max

Advice to Senior Managementnot so much personal infighting

Good to their employees. Fair to their contractors

Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsGreat environment, great pay and decent enough coworkers.

ConsThe Union is difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward contractors who excell with permanent positions.

Great company to work for if you find your Niche

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsFlight Benefits to even more cities in the world after the merge with Continental
    Lower medical premiums compared to other Fortune 100 companies
    United is big on hiring internally first for open positions
    Great co-workers

ConsBad management in most departmsnts
    Company took away pensions and keeps cutting salaries during tough times

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire capable, competent, educated, top-quality, smart, intelligent leaders who are progressive, proactive, and have a great vision of the near future. Make sure they know how to lead a company with very complex operations like United and hold these accountable for their employees' performance.

Challenging, an interesting industry, overall a good group of people to work with

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsThe airline industry is very complex, if you enjoy working in an environment where there is always something new .

ConsLayoffs, business model is very suspectible to the economy (layoffs), in some areas a punitive cuture is still strong

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the leaders that are not forming positive realationships with their piers and others.

outstanding people, internal strife

Revenue Management Analyst (Current Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

Prosevery person is very committed to helping United succeed

ConsMany people here are unsure of their future after the merger

The worst experience of my professional career.

Product Development Manager (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsOn the one hand, if you want to be lazy and just slide by, United Airlines is the place to work. You can get by doing barely anything. Your co-workers are aware of it, but not management.

ConsIf you actually care about your work, United Airlines is not the place to work. There are so many slackers, unqualified workers, overlap in job duties and superfluous personnel that it's actually really hard to get your job done. The tools and resources provided to personnel is abhorent (Airline operations however had a good repuation. I would still fly United...). The organizational structure and strategy is also a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management spends so much time in unnecessary, poorly managed, inefficient meetings, with such a crazy organizational structure, that they have no idea what is actually happening in their department on a day to day basis, and how much better, how much more productive their department could be. This ultimately results in a negative product. (Again, I'm not speaking of airport ops.) I worked in their e-commerce department.

Not a bad company, just in the middle.

Senior Staff Writer (Former Employee) Elk Grove Village, IL

ProsOne of the main reason is the flight benefits. If you like to travel, even though its based on seniority, it would be ideal. Also, the aviation industry is very dynamic -- always changing. There was never a dull moment at United.

ConsAbsence of a work/life balance at the corporate level. also, the pay was not on par with market data if you were below a director level.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to step up and make decisions in a more timely manner. Also, the communication style tends to be stuffy and always coming from the top down. High performing companies have information flowing downwards and upwards.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!