United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews in Newark, NJ

Updated Jun 25, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits allow you to travel to cool places for free (if you can get a seat)(in 110 reviews)

• Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it(in 29 reviews)

• Since the merger with Continental, things have gotten progressively worse(in 12 reviews)

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

different than any other I've ever worked, now were I want to be when comes to the type of work i'm doing

Food Services (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsI really am enjoying an 4 day work week now gives me more time with my family and friends

ConsI love working for united airlines the one major draw back is that I live in new York but now work in new jersey

Advice to Senior Managementwell i'm new to the company but I like the way united treats it's works it's all about what we the staffs can do to make the company even bigger and the same time we get rewarded as the company does well

great job, horrible career

Ramp Service (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

Prosfree flight for you and your family!
    excellent flexibility!

ConsVery dangerous!
    crappy pay!
    heavy work load
    favortism
    horrible supervisors
    lazy co-workers
    I had to argue with my supervisor to have a lunch break multiple times!
    A Supervisor has asks people to lie for him to cover himself and pass fault for an incident on another.
    I've witnessed Supervisors yell and curse at their agents and make racist statements!

Advice to Senior Managementhire and train better supervisors, monitor supervisors to make sure the work is being done properly and fairly

Couldn't be better

Airport Sales Agent (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsThis is the best company I have ever worked for. The starting pay is not that great but they do increase your pay quite often. I'd say about 8 times a year. The job will keep you on your toes because there is always something to do. They offer free domestic airfare and for international fares you only pay taxes. The vacation time is reasonable. They have many programs for employees on site as well as off site (therapists, charity care for employees going through hard time, etc). they have a lot of employee appreciation events (bbqs, etc). If you are great at what you do it is very easy to move up the career latter here. This job was like a second family. Benefits i believe are after 90 days which include health/vision/ dental/ 401k/ and life. Anytime you need anything there is always someone willing to help. Day trades are also a perk which means you can give your hours away to another employee willing to pick them up without penalty.

ConsThe hours are horrible and all over the place. It was hard to travel because I was always working. Once you get some seniority in, it gets a lot better. The job is very time consuming and while I was here it took over everything. I didnt really have a life outside of the airport.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

United Airlines Employer Representative responded to this review

Apr 17, 2014

Wow - what a positive review?! Thank you. We do appreciate your dedication and understand that the hours can be long. The community feel with your fellow employees and the excitement of the airline ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Goog company but disjointed work groups due to merget.

Asa (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsOpportunities to advance is there if you're interested, there's a fair amount of training and you get great travel benefits.

ConsThe company is so big that you feel like a number. Also social media is not welcomed to voice opinions of what happens inside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to merge the united and continental workers.

Great company for it's size. Not many opportunities for advancement.

International Service Manager (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsWorldwide brand recognition. Nationwide hubs!

ConsDoes not foster upward mobility for internal candidates

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify talent and nurture those talents for advancement.

Dead End Position

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsAs a flight attendant you don't bring work home with you.

ConsSometimes you are unable to get home from work because of weather, legalities or equipment.

Not happy with the current situation

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsFree travel and friendly coworkers in location

Consnot enough vacation and bellow average pay

Advice to Senior Managementbetter compensation

Great Company to work for

Crew (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsPositive morale, good employee benefits

ConsDepending on where based, possible long reserve life.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore implementation of any new policies that effect inflight department, please utilize an actual group of employees to participate in decision making and provide valuable inputs.

A GREAT place to work and a GREAT place to grow, this is a career company!

Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsCurrently, you can be on the 'fast' track to succeed. This company is growing, faster everyday. You are the only one holding yourself back. There are many different divisions and departments, set your course and TAKE OFF!

ConsGrowing at this fast a pace is bound to lead to the "Peter" principle.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook and listen to the folks that make things happen! Get their thoughts and ideas on money savings at their level. It will work system wide, increasing the savings!

DONT WORK HERE FIND ANOTHER PLACE THAT VALUES YOUR HARD WORK!

Warehouse (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsFlying benefits and 401k savings plan

ConsNo retirement plans for Chelsea employees, people just do whatever they want in United its not what you know BUT who you know and who you sleep with. Managers just dont have the slightest clue as to how to run a business. They are scared of their employees. Very poor manners and education.

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to school and learn how to treat people with dignity and respect!

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!