United Airlines

Updated September 28, 2014
3.1

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job (in 125 reviews)

• Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management has no regard for customers or employees (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

It's still a job that puts me closer to what I love, PLANES!

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flight benefits has gone a long way in helping me, my family and friends that love flying. HUGE FACTOR.

Cons

Airline pay is not much, but with the flight benefits, my family thinks I'm a millionaire!

Management is also human.

great

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

very nice work to work for

Cons

awesome place to be at work for

Challenging and type A.

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I enjoyed being all of the professional ongoing training.

Cons

Pay and salary did not keep up with current standards. It just got to be ridiculous what earning power was anywhere else.

Invest in employee retention. Every employee that leaves your company costs $2-5 K to replace.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice people, hard work.

I have been working at United Airlines full-time

Pros

People are nice. Work is not too hard.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth

Always Interesting

I have been working at United Airlines for more than 10 years

Pros

I have had the ability to work in several different areas and several different job functions during my career.

Cons

United is still in the process of completing a very difficult merger. Although things are starting to organize, there is still a lot of work to accomplish.

Need to put more focus on the employee group. The business side is important, but cannot sustain without the buy-in from employees who feel wanted and valued.

Over Worked.....Under paid

Current Employee - Ramp Service
    Current Employee - Ramp Service

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flight Benefits. Ability to create your own schedule. Working with very large Airplanes. For the most part, a great group of people to work with.

Cons

Sweating all day. Very hard work for the horrible pay. Management is getting worse. If you're not Legacy Continental; good luck getting promoted Ever. It's all about who you know.

How about a little more employee appreciation. A hot dog and a cupcake every 10 months doesn't show me that.

great benefits, poorly managed, all about stock holders they can careless about employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits discounted flying medical dental vision is 90 percent covered 10 percent pocket. 401k match. at 2 percent.

Cons

union is horrible they only care about union dues, there for the company period. they try to find anyway possible to fire you. attendance policy is set up for failure. there is no job security what so ever you can be laid off at any moment, they only need to identify you 60 days in advance per union contract. smh

find another job

A definite challenge

Former Employee - Parts Purchasing  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Parts Purchasing in Miami, FL

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loved my job and the people, including management.

Cons

Being paid salary and called constantly during my off time got ridiculous, sometimes it would be 4am .... my backups could not be trusted to get the job done.

Better training and hiring people that want to succeed and not just clock watch for the day to be over.

Job security with inadequate compensation and excessive politics

Former Employee - Senior IT Developer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally relaxed atmosphere, even under deadline pressure. Schedule flexibility exists for better work/life balance. Most coworkers make work more enjoyable. Senior managers and some directors recognize talent, value their employees, and are open to feedback with an open-door policy.

Cons

It appears that much of management beyond the director level is still trapped in the old and obsolete "business-steered" development paradigm, which was created at a time when Continental/United was a new, dot-com idea that had to prove itself to Business groups...even though Technology now allows for the vast majority of the revenue coming into the company. This leads to a reluctance to accept new ideas and initiatives that are supposed to be allowed under the new R&D guidelines from the CIO down. This is the same problem that has existed for many years, and will continue to not only cause a drag in employee morale, but also stagnate further development in technology that could make the airline more competitive (and more profitable).

The company also severely undercompensates its talent. Believing that standby flight benefits are equal to salary compensation, they continue to pay many talented employees less than $20k from the industry average relative to skills and experience, and they see this as acceptable.

Due to the company's obvious drive to further optimize flight scheduling to reduce waste in the number of empty or near-empty planes that are flying various routes, this leads to increasing difficulty finding standby availability for standby travel which, effectively, limits the ability to actually USE those "flight benefits".

In order to be promoted beyond a certain point, you have to become entrenched in politics and bureaucracy, and essentially rub elbows with the right people, or you are stuck in lower-level roles indefinitely. Thus, upward mobility becomes extremely difficult on merit alone. Employees shouldn't have to "wine and dine" management in order to move their careers forward.

If you value your talented employees, want to make them FEEL valued (for morale and desire to better the company overall via proactive contributions), and want to RETAIN that talent, you should properly compensate them monetarily. Money talks, and many employees have families to support. The company shouldn't just cater to single people that like to travel standby alone. If you don't want to retain only mediocre employees and foreigners with visas, you should be competitive with compensation...at the very least, to the industry average.

If necessary, allow for the option to opt out of flight standby benefits in lieu of higher salary.

Be open to feedback from your engineers in terms of project initiatives if you want to be more competitive in terms of technology. This helps your ROI, and it helps boost market share.

Eliminate the bureaucracy that makes the company a self-proclaimed "revolving door", as it pertains to promotions and raises. Currently, in order to move up in the company or get a higher salary, one has to leave and return with a higher salary requirement. Meanwhile, your talent finds that there is better company management elsewhere, and many do not return.

Self-Centered Culture

Current Employee - Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Senior management does not "walk the talk" and unfortunately that trickles down through all levels of the organization. There is a lack of interest in true team-building and inclusion, rather it is a select few that are considered to have value and all others are essentially ignored and made to feel they are not welcome. Ideas, existing products, existing processes, etc. have been discarded by the "new" leadership team without even understanding what it is that they "do not like". Sadly it is the customers and loyal employees who have suffered.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!