United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job (in 112 reviews)

• Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management has no regard for customers or employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much corporate politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe employees here are diverse and come from a wise range of experience. They are all wonderful people to work with.

ConsMiddle and upper management. They just don't see the bigger picture when it comes to hiring. For instance, you want more experienced people for lower positions, expect to pay more regardless. They choose their friends or external people they know nothing about over people who have dedicated a lifetime of loyalty to the company. Expect to not move up in your position unless you A) become best friends with upper management (Good luck with that its a fairly small clique) or B) the company goes through some pitfall where they are forced to reduce employees and up the titles.

And you don't want me to get started on the people skills between two companies after the merger. Individually they are nice but they don't see the bigger picture, we are one company now, time to help each other to grow and stop holding onto old mentalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to show more respect to those who have lesser title than them because they are just as capable and smart (otherwise they would not be hired in the first place). There needs to be better communication and opportunities to bring the department together.

Wonderful!

Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe managment team is great everyone has such a positive attitude . And Is willing to go the extra mile to help one another . Love it !

ConsUnited Airlines, United Airlines, United Airlines

Corporate Intern for United Airliines in the Internal Audit Department

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people within the department were knowledgable and extremely friendly. Even as an Intern I really felt part of the team and was able to contribute to the company. Also, the flight benefits made for a really fun summer filled with weekend adventures!

ConsAirline industry as a whole has had a rough couple of years recently, but everything seems to be turning around!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting and challenging work and great people

Finance Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIn a very challenging industry there are always opportunities to learn. Teammates are supportive. Great travel benefits. Hours allow for a reasonable work/life balance.

ConsCould be more social events at the company, both informal and formal.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is very approachable.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsChicago's Hometown Airline has offered numerous wonderful opportunities to me for almost 30 years.

ConsNone that I can think of right now.

Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFantastic, ever changing business that's tough and never boring. Flight benefits are excellent. Many co-workers are great people to work with. A lot of great career opportunities, and the HQ city - Chicago - is a fantastic place to live and work.

ConsWeaker leadership at the highest of levels - primarily C level team. Culture in the field is considered to be weak, displaying little faith in the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off on the excuses for under-performance and instead make yourself visible to the operations personnel at the company. Being available, transparent, and willing to aid the line employees helps create a bond between management and the field, but more importantly will help create the solid culture we all want at United.

Tough but friendly place to work.

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay, good 401k. Flight benefits are nice but you need to find a seat which is getting tough. Friendly environment to work in.

ConsCan be difficult to move up in organization. Several people in management have little or no leadership skills and it seriously hurts your team if one of them is in charge of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of most of the small regional planes and bring more work and flights into the main line fleets.

A Blessing

Food Production (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits from discounts at certain places and of course flying for free! We literally eat for free in our cafeteria...they take out 5$ per paycheck..so basically your eating all you want for .50 cents a day. CAN BEAT THAT. then of course flying I haven't gone anyways yet but they do give you 2 days off together so you will be able to take a day trip. It's to much stuff to name..I can't wait to move up within United!

ConsCons...can't think of any..If they are I won't focus on them

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I have advice on concerns I will email management personally but continue doing a great job

Best of the experience

MBA Corporate Insurance (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMakes you feel like part of every project decision.
    Get to learn a great deal about Aviation, a niche market
    Intern events are just amazing

ConsIndustry has ups and downs. So career growth could also fluctuate.

A great airline with friendly people and fantastic benefits

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTalented co-workers, good pay, space-available flight benefits, positive-space travel for business, interesting projects, and challenging workload.

ConsNo significant cons, and certainly none that outweigh the pros, but the corporate culture is a little strange and still somewhat divided as a result of the 2010 UA/CO merger.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop the already well-structured internship program. It does a great job of building brand loyalty and peaking college students' interest in airline careers.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!