United Airlines

Updated October 21, 2014
3.1

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company (in 127 reviews)

• Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 31 reviews)

• Since the merger with Continental, things have gotten progressively worse (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities if you work for them, but below-average benefits will deter many from taking the chance on United

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The level of tenure at United tells you they are doing something right in retaining people to work with them. The collaborative headquarters work environment really seems to lend itself to new ideas and different points of view, although the very nature of the business means that change is not as rapid. It also really appears that there is a conscious effort to align the thinking and efforts from the people at the airports, to the people in the planes, to the people in the head office, and everywhere in between.

Cons

Career development program is not well articulated, so the onus is on the individual to set out goals and work to achieve them, with very little structure. This benefits highly-motivated employees with plenty of initiative, but still provides less guidance than many companies, and may be unattractive to new employees who are looking for that support.

Transparency works so well in environments where some of the blue collar staff involved in the day-to-day, nitty-gritty of the business operations feel separated from the white collar staff sitting in the offices. We need to make sure we're connecting to the people who can really make a difference in the customer experience. While there are plenty of initiatives taking place, we can and should do more.

Seamless onboarding process and good opportunity all around

Current Employee - Director - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture here is fantastic, so far everyone from mgmt to support seems very open to growing the business and being part of something exciting.

Cons

It's still a big company and change can take time.

Keep the focus on culture, seems to be working

Reservation Sales Agent

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company. Being able to travel the world as a college student has made this company a good fit for me.

Cons

Low pay, Union fees, Buddy passes add to gross income which means paying lots more in taxes at the end of the year if you choose to list someone on your benefits that is not spouse.

Company values-- doing what you say

It's still a job that puts me closer to what I love, PLANES!

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flight benefits has gone a long way in helping me, my family and friends that love flying. HUGE FACTOR.

Cons

Airline pay is not much, but with the flight benefits, my family thinks I'm a millionaire!

Management is also human.

Developer

Former Employee - Senior IT Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work environment is good and quite flexible.

Cons

Merger with Continental Airline is very bad. Two companies are facing internal IT issues as well as operational issues.

Was laid off after 18 years of service to this company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful co workers, everything is done by seniority

Cons

The merger should have never took place!

Listen to your employees and actually see what's happening

It WAS a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competative salary
    Travel benefits
    Great Coworkers
    Ability to trade off shifts makes for flexible schedule

Cons

Only safe customer service jobs are at the hub cities
    Outsourcing much of the labor force
    Management is clueless
    Top heavy company paying millions in bonuses to upper management but outsourcing jobs because of budget cuts
    No real job security anymore

Lose the United model. There are too many people in Willis Tower wasting money and resources trying to justify their jobs. Stop lying to your employees and investors by claiming to care about and appreciate employees, when no one's jobs are safe. At least be compassionate enough to realize that your decisions have a tremendous affect on people's lives and the barage of "we care" emails and bulletins only add insult to injury.

Flight attendant:

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Seattle, WA

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Met a lot of great people. Great flying benefits (stand by) and medical insurance.

Cons

Work long and odd hours. Big company. Worked so much that I never really had the time to travel. And when I did I would alway get bumped off a flight by senior flight attendants.

Not like it used to be

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has great vision of what it wants to be among the airline industry and it tries to give its employees a wealth of training and provide salaries to be equal to the industry. New employees feel as if they are part of a team and work to achieve #1 Airline.

Cons

When the merger happened, it should have been a complete merger. Let one airline take over the other. Not a "Merger of Equals". You have subCO, subUA and New United employees. Employees who worked for Continental thought we had a pretty good product and didn't see the need for a merger. Years of the merger process and still not a Single Operating Carrier. Too many employees are disheartened that the company cannot go forward because of multi-systems not becoming ONE.

Ask the people who work for you on what they think could be a problem on any future processes the company is planning on making that would affect them and co-workers out in the field. If they see isssues in the future it is best to fix the possibilities than to barrel through the plan and causing bigger problems in the future.

If you want to work for an airline, work for United Airlines, not United Express.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at United Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice flying benefits and there were many flights going to many different cities. The best part was boarding passengers onto planes and meeting incoming flight.

Cons

Lots of running around because of so many flights going in and out. A very tiring job. The flying benefits were great if you like to travel. The only drawback was that they were all short haul flights, and not to a lot of exotic cities. The most attractive city to travel to was Toronto or Montreal. The training was also very intense with a lot to learn in just a week. If you don't catch on quickly to airline computer lingo, you're in trouble. Lots of my co-workers were let go after the final exam. And you don't get to bid your shift.. so you have to take whatever they assign you.

I think it would be wise to extend the training period to at least two weeks. The airline business is very stressful ... with passengers anxious to get to their destination. So people who are put on the job have to know the computer system cold.. so they're not creating even a bigger delay before the passenger even gets to the gate.