United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros:
  • "Flight benefits (though utilizing them is difficult if you can't travel at 6 am on Tuesdays)"
    in 95 reviews
  • "Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped"
    in 71 reviews
Cons:
  • "We can't all be senior management, and we can't all be CEOs in corporations"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Upper management has no regard for customers or employees"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Exciting place to work

Senior Staff Planner (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsNever a dull moment; always something exciting, definitely a good mix of airline and business-type people

ConsStagnant upper-middle management, company is highly affected by external influences

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to smooth out the seemingly never-ending hire and layoff cycle.

Apr 17, 2014

Thanks a lot for your review. We're very optimistic about our outlook, as well.

Growing pains

I have been working at United Airlines full-time

ProsMy direct leadership is great

ConsTravel regulations are restrictive, lower seniority in a hub can hardly travel non-rev

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you so much for your review of United.

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits - health and travel.

ConsTravel benefits are on a 'stand by' so if your seniority is low, you may not have a chance to get on the flight.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your software programs and have a good working environment. Except for the Headquarters, the work area is crappy.

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you for your review of United. Pass Travel can be frustrating at times when flights are full, but isn't still a great privilege? Knowing that I can fly to far off places using the corporate ... More

You will like it if you like to travel

I have been working at United Airlines

ProsLots of fun and challenges and very nice people

ConsSalary is too low compared to market

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you very much for your review of United. We are constantly evaluating our total rewards packages to the market and industry and will continue to do so to remain competitive.

Fantastic Travel Benefits

I have been working at United Airlines

ProsTravel Benefits, vacation is good and challenging jobs

ConsThe merger is creating more work for less people

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you so much for your review of United. We agree - the merger has been a lot of work for all of us. The end result will hopefully be a more "user-friendly" experience for both our employees ... More

An Airline in Transition

Consultant (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat people and positive interactions with most staff; pleasant work environment at UA's new Willis Tower location. Challenging opportunities presented with a reasonable sense of accomplishment.

ConsAt the time, leadership was very focused on self preservation given the company's merger with Continental. Organization and focus suffered as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's all about the customer, their needs and expectations in a world where airlines are more or less a commodity. Differentiate!

Interview and hiring process were a little haphazard.

Supervisor - Airport Operations (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for less than a year

ProsI was very glad to be accepted for a supervisory postion within United at O'Hare. I consider myself very luck to be involved in the operation so close to the center of the United world network. The pay structure is competitive, the culture is welcoming and encourages teamwork, and the office is pleasant.

ConsFrom my initial application to the training process, being onboarded as a Supervisor - SOC Zone Controller has been occasionally difficult to navigate. While I understand that there are many simaultaneous personnel shifts happening within the department at once, I feel like I would have appreciated greater proactive involvement from management in the onboarding process.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe welcome packet could stand to be improved and updated. I would like to see more detailed information on time off requests and how vacation works. The job shadowing is exceedingly helpful and should continue.

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you for your insightful review of United. We are working to improve onboarding efforts across the company. This review will help us in further discussions.

The merger combined the worst of both companies, not the best of both companies.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlight benefits (though utilizing them is difficult if you can't travel at 6 am on Tuesdays). Lots of fun events related to company sponsorships. Working with colleagues and customers around the globe from different industries.

ConsLack of accountability -- you can have fun if you can manage to endure the mind-numbing lack of progress and innovation stemming from a complete desire to just want everyone to get along, and ensuing lack of accountability. It was really shockingly dysfunctional in that regard.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has tremendous potential if it can instill accountability in order to achieve results, but that requires leadership with the horsepower to create a vision and drive results, not just throw feel-good parties (as fun as they were!)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Priorities in the wrong place

General Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than a year

Prostypical airline. No better, no worse than most.

ConsThey spend WAY too much time and money worried about a paperclip missing or a small piece of paper not put with a report that they say is needed to double and triple check that everything is right. I get redundancy, but their financial controls process wastes probably about a fourth of the money they take in on baggage and other fees!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up on the checks, double checks, triple checks and the two people who watch two people who can't do the things that those other two people do. My gosh!! I get the whole trust but verify thing, but your more like "Don't trust, and verify everything 3 times!"
HUGE time waster!!!

pilot scheduler

Pilot Scheduler (Current Employee)

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than a year

Prossalary, flight benefits, good experienced people onboard teams, great headquarter arrangements, ...did I mention sweet salaries, ... career opportunities all about, indeed!

Conscold wx, ... not fun for the warm hearted, ... as in the headquartered opportunities, ... yet great spring/summer
shows,festivals, shindigs amore' to partake,.... Chicago style seasoned indeed!

Advice to Senior Managementkeep competence abroad for the stretch!

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you for your review of United. Chicago weather has been a bear this year, eh? However, I agree - the festivals and summer events are the best in the country.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

United Airlines Videos

United Airlines – Why Work for Us?

Now taking off: Your career At United®, we are thriving in the culture that our employees have helped to create, one that encourages new ideas and rewards performance. With the right qualifications, attitude and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Airlines CEO Jeffery A. Smisek . All 554 reviews posted anonymously by United Airlines employees.