United Airlines

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company (in 130 reviews)

• Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 31 reviews)

• upper management is horrible they don't care for there best assets there employees (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Dulles, VA

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

Great Company...Great potential to advance if your are well equipped. Great flight benefits. And very competitive salary

Cons

Seniority seems to be more valued over education and skills. Networking seems like the best way to move around in this company.

Sold out!

Current Employee - Gate Agent in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Gate Agent in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

travel benefits, when you get the chance to use them.

Cons

out sourcing EVERYONE! no one is safe!

Treat your employees that are loyal better and your airline will run better.

good outweigh the bad, but just barely.

Current Employee - Strategic Pricing Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Strategic Pricing Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good base salary, earned comp time, great co-workers, international flight benefits, ability to have 2 enrolled friends, flexible schedule, headquarters is in a fantastic city, access to VPs and SVPs, feel like an integral member of my small team.

Cons

lack of communication, reduced compensation, including merit raises and profit sharing reductions, no room for promotions or career advancement within same work groups, number of flights canceled and delayed is frustrating and embarrassing, upper management does not seem to care about the customers or employees and always uses the weather in UA hubs as the scapegoat for why we are not doing as well as other legacy airlines.

Fix the on-time and cancellation issue. Start to respect your employees and value your customers.

BUYER BEWARE

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively flexible schedule, easy to get time-off.

Cons

Horrible management organization. Culture is completely unprofessional and filled with backstabbing, heresay, and favoritism. If you are looking for respect, don't expect to find it here. In some cases, there is borderline harassment that gets ignored. Compensation is joke, with management finding new and creative ways to reduce your salary each year. And fight benefits? Sure, if you can find an open spot in standby. Work is dumped on the good hard-working employees, while people who are clueless get rewarded for being in the right "click". Some of the best employees have now left the company or are looking for a way out.

Get it together. This company used to be a great place to work, and now is crumbling in front of your eyes. Your people are what drives this company - somewhere along the lines, you forgot that.

horrible

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

cheap flights, flexable hours after 6mths

Cons

managment does not talk to employees, communcation breaks down at every turn, lies out right to everyone

learn to communcate honestly with employees

Keeps lowering pay

Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flight benefits if you don't mind your hair turning gray trying to get on a flight.

Cons

This place keeps lowering pay by cutting bonuses and cutting profit sharing plus no merit increases. Salary progression has literally been negative. I'd advise going some place else if you're looking for a career and you care about being compensated.

Less politics and beauracratic tape - and reward employees for their work rather than taking away benefits every year.

Management shows little to no respect for flight attendants

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time

Pros

Travel benefits were a plus in the event you were actually able to get on. Most layover hotels were quite nice. Health insurance was very good if you had time to use it. Many great coworkers but many more extremely bitter.

Cons

Long-time employees were extremely disgruntled and constantly complaining about "the company" and about working conditions which made for a very uncomfortable working atmosphere. Union dues were very high but there didn't seem to be anything positive gained from having a union. The only time I saw the effect of the union was when employees who repeatedly broke company rules (failing drug tests, etc) were protected from discipline or from losing their jobs.

I would say get rid of the union and have a good relationship with the employees. But since that is not possible yet (I think it will happen soon enough because unions are obsolete), try to treat the employees with more respect than they get from the union. That isn't too hard. Unions have no purpose beyond filling their own pockets with cash and creating animosity between employees and management.

united

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

benefits, both flight and health.

Cons

crazy hours, zero pay, unpredictable

United Ramp Employee

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

Salary, travel, holidays, benefits, schedule

Cons

Management, profit sharing, seniority. availability, shifts

No compassion

Current Employee - Service Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

Decent salary, lots of vacation time(when you can use it), flexible hours

Cons

No Compassion, United does not care about their employees....it's all about the numbers.

Treat your employees the way you want them to treat customers. I recently moved back to my hometown and shortly after I came down with the flu....I was out for 3 day. My Insurance for my new state had not kicked in yet so I did not have a new doctor.. About a month later I was informed I needed a doctors note...which in my 25 years I had never had to produce for being out sick....except when I was in the hospital and was out for an extended amount of time. Well I tried to explain to them that I did not have a doctors note and why. They took my sick time back and gave me an unexcused absence and a termination warning...even though I called in every day I was out. Our contract says they may ask for documentation but they do not have to...it's up to management. I get my paycheck today and they deducted over $500.00 without even telling me they were going to do it. I'm now short for my rent payment, which means I have no extra money for food or bills. I have diabetes and they have me so stressed out, I have been sick again and my blood sugar is almost 500 vs the normal 70-120. I have put in 25 years with United and I have never been treat like this. Honestly if I didn't need the income so bad I would quit in a heartbeat. They tell us to treat each customer with respect and look at each situation individually and if possible do all we can to help them with their issues...I make exception for customers all the time because it's the right thing to do, but my company does not do that for their employes. I'm wondering how United would feel if I treated my customers as poorly as they treat their employees.