United Airlines

Updated September 19, 2014
3.1

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job (in 112 reviews)

• Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management has no regard for customers or employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

A definite challenge

Former Employee - Parts Purchasing  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Parts Purchasing in Miami, FL

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Loved my job and the people, including management.

Cons

Being paid salary and called constantly during my off time got ridiculous, sometimes it would be 4am .... my backups could not be trusted to get the job done.

Better training and hiring people that want to succeed and not just clock watch for the day to be over.

A toxic and mismanaged work environment

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flight benefits
    Downtown office
    Good people here and there

Cons

Leadership full of yes men and women who really aren't very good at what they do
    Fallout from merger continues to this day
    IT team stuck in past and full of lifers
    Website is from circa 2000
    Easy projects take forever; tough projects don't seem to launch

All ecommerce leadership at VP and director levels needs to be canned. They've had way more than enough time to reinvent their digital experience and they still can't get it out the door. Stay far, far away if you have anything to do with digital/ecommerce.

great benefits, poorly managed, all about stock holders they can careless about employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great benefits discounted flying medical dental vision is 90 percent covered 10 percent pocket. 401k match. at 2 percent.

Cons

union is horrible they only care about union dues, there for the company period. they try to find anyway possible to fire you. attendance policy is set up for failure. there is no job security what so ever you can be laid off at any moment, they only need to identify you 60 days in advance per union contract. smh

find another job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and type A.

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I enjoyed being all of the professional ongoing training.

Cons

Pay and salary did not keep up with current standards. It just got to be ridiculous what earning power was anywhere else.

Invest in employee retention. Every employee that leaves your company costs $2-5 K to replace.

Job security with inadequate compensation and excessive politics

Former Employee - Senior IT Developer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally relaxed atmosphere, even under deadline pressure. Schedule flexibility exists for better work/life balance. Most coworkers make work more enjoyable. Senior managers and some directors recognize talent, value their employees, and are open to feedback with an open-door policy.

Cons

It appears that much of management beyond the director level is still trapped in the old and obsolete "business-steered" development paradigm, which was created at a time when Continental/United was a new, dot-com idea that had to prove itself to Business groups...even though Technology now allows for the vast majority of the revenue coming into the company. This leads to a reluctance to accept new ideas and initiatives that are supposed to be allowed under the new R&D guidelines from the CIO down. This is the same problem that has existed for many years, and will continue to not only cause a drag in employee morale, but also stagnate further development in technology that could make the airline more competitive (and more profitable).

The company also severely undercompensates its talent. Believing that standby flight benefits are equal to salary compensation, they continue to pay many talented employees less than $20k from the industry average relative to skills and experience, and they see this as acceptable.

Due to the company's obvious drive to further optimize flight scheduling to reduce waste in the number of empty or near-empty planes that are flying various routes, this leads to increasing difficulty finding standby availability for standby travel which, effectively, limits the ability to actually USE those "flight benefits".

In order to be promoted beyond a certain point, you have to become entrenched in politics and bureaucracy, and essentially rub elbows with the right people, or you are stuck in lower-level roles indefinitely. Thus, upward mobility becomes extremely difficult on merit alone. Employees shouldn't have to "wine and dine" management in order to move their careers forward.

If you value your talented employees, want to make them FEEL valued (for morale and desire to better the company overall via proactive contributions), and want to RETAIN that talent, you should properly compensate them monetarily. Money talks, and many employees have families to support. The company shouldn't just cater to single people that like to travel standby alone. If you don't want to retain only mediocre employees and foreigners with visas, you should be competitive with compensation...at the very least, to the industry average.

If necessary, allow for the option to opt out of flight standby benefits in lieu of higher salary.

Be open to feedback from your engineers in terms of project initiatives if you want to be more competitive in terms of technology. This helps your ROI, and it helps boost market share.

Eliminate the bureaucracy that makes the company a self-proclaimed "revolving door", as it pertains to promotions and raises. Currently, in order to move up in the company or get a higher salary, one has to leave and return with a higher salary requirement. Meanwhile, your talent finds that there is better company management elsewhere, and many do not return.

Frustrating place to work. Difficult decision making processes. Merger needed but did nothing for employees

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability if you get your work done.

Cons

So big hard to get things done

Get the right salary comming in. Takes a long time to move up

Self-Centered Culture

Current Employee - Management  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Senior management does not "walk the talk" and unfortunately that trickles down through all levels of the organization. There is a lack of interest in true team-building and inclusion, rather it is a select few that are considered to have value and all others are essentially ignored and made to feel they are not welcome. Ideas, existing products, existing processes, etc. have been discarded by the "new" leadership team without even understanding what it is that they "do not like". Sadly it is the customers and loyal employees who have suffered.

Long progressions and unfair point system

Current Employee - Ramp Service  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ramp Service in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits for the whole family, including flights, medical, dental, vision, 401k

Cons

The point system for absent, tardy, and using your sick time. Yes even when you are sick and bring proof like a doctors statement. You still will get a point, I was given a point when I had to go give birth to my child. It's hard to transfer into another station or job position mainly because people won't retire.

Why give us sick time when we get penalized for using it. Also we are human, emergency situations do happen that causes us to be late, like our kids being sick, flat tire, car breaks down, by giving us half a point for being late is unjust. Also for calling in when our children or family member or ill, and receiving 3 points for is awful and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Nice people, hard work.

I have been working at United Airlines full-time

Pros

People are nice. Work is not too hard.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth

My experience was thorough and productive. I would like compatible opportunities.

I worked at United Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It's great to be associated with a prominent enterprise company. United has been one of the top companies for quite sometime. There are opportunities all over the country for this company.

Cons

They have a ever changing management and turn over rate. There reputation depending on the group can be different.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!