United Airlines

United Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros:
  • "Flight benefits (though utilizing them is difficult if you can't travel at 6 am on Tuesdays)"
    in 102 reviews
  • "Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped"
    in 71 reviews
Cons:
  • "We can't all be senior management, and we can't all be CEOs in corporations"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Upper management has no regard for customers or employees"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fair experience but has the potential to be something very special.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFlying benefits of course (when you can get on the plane)

ConsLong hours, low salary compared to those in same or similar positions in the company, merger madness, low morale, rampant negativity, and lack of direction from the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the employees are actually people with lives, families, goals, and feelings. The employees matter just as much as the bottom line.

Travel benefits not worth the hassle

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsTransportation is an interesting field, and airlines are an important piece of the global transportation network, so the work is interesting. The flight benefits allow you to travel to cool places for free (if you can get a seat).

ConsThe merger with CO has been an overwhelming disappointment. Poorly executed from the beginning, even after several years there are readily apparent divisions within the company between the two sides. Systems integration continues to be an ongoing disaster. Attempting to get things done across different workgroups is a frustrating exercise, many senior leaders seem to be more concerned with the path that absolves them from any accountability rather than pursuing the correct strategy. Flight load factors continue to rise and over the years it has become much more difficult to use the flight benefits. If you like spending hours at the airport on edge staring at the standby list, then this is the job for you.

Great Benefits

Coordinator Airport Operations (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat Company! Love the flying benefits. The health insurance is more affordable than most companies.

ConsHaven't been there long enough for cons

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved this job and stayed for 10 years!

Flight Attendant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsMeeting lots of great staff who become friends. Travel opportunities. Lots of days off (for flight attendants and pilots). Good opportunity to meet interesting passenger too. A fun job.

ConsThe beginning salary for flight attendants is low (but better than at UK airlines) it increases to a good salary after 5 years of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your staff to move around to different departments to gain experience. Offer secondments, career breaks and flexible and part-time working, especially for people enrolled in study programmes.

different than any other I've ever worked, now were I want to be when comes to the type of work i'm doing

Food Services (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsI really am enjoying an 4 day work week now gives me more time with my family and friends

ConsI love working for united airlines the one major draw back is that I live in new York but now work in new jersey

Advice to Senior Managementwell i'm new to the company but I like the way united treats it's works it's all about what we the staffs can do to make the company even bigger and the same time we get rewarded as the company does well

Great experience so far! Exciting and collaborative work environment!

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsAmazing travel benefits! Exciting work environment. Constant innovation. Strong team leaders. Many career opportunities for advancement within the company.

ConsPost-merger integration; however, this is constantly improving.

the company is a fantastic place to work for.

C S A (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

Proscompany values are great. The people you meet and actually get to work it are awesome. They all have a sense of humor and very well rounded. The benefits are great, if you enjoy to travel and meet people.

Consso far that I've been here, I've seen nothing but positive things.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue striving to be better at what you do. great job!

Work Environment

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe only benefits one would like would be Flight Benefits offered and there will be a lot of work to learn without pay hike for years.

ConsA lot of uncertainty in the management and their vision. Need to make sure who do you work for and they understand the corporate policy. Senior Management may force you to move to different location or ask you to work from multiple locations without any extra benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits. Some of the director lever position does not know what they are doing. For example - if employee sick and complain about immediate manager to upper management then the director lever position would say "you were not going to die"... Pathetic behavior.

Customer Service Agent

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsIt's never boring! If you enjoy teamwork and a fast paced, constantly changing day then this job may be for you. You are on your feet most of the time (which I like as opposed to sitting in an office all day), and you have to enjoy working with the general public. The pay is competitive and compensation includes health care, 401K and pass privileges. There is flexibility in day-trading with other agents.

ConsThis is shift work, and you can have several shift bids a year. So you have to have flexibility in your schedule and know that your days can be extended if flights are late. The general public can be quite demanding. This business is fickle and subject to change with oil prices and weather dominating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon/t skimp on staffing. When schedules are made up they do not take into consideration the many irregular operations, sick calls, FMLA outages and OJI outages. This stresses the remaining staff that has to work harder and ultimately results in more outages and poor customer service. Take a page from the Disney corporation and treat your employees as "guests" because they are the internal customer and when employees feel taken care of..... they show up for work more reliably.

Great

Cargo Representative - Internal Support (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsTravel, other opportunities within the company

ConsLack of management compassion and empathy

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about employees then numbers/graphs

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

United Airlines Videos

United Airlines – Why Work for Us?

Now taking off: Your career At United®, we are thriving in the culture that our employees have helped to create, one that encourages new ideas and rewards performance. With the right qualifications, attitude and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for United Airlines CEO Jeffery A. Smisek . All 607 reviews posted anonymously by United Airlines employees.