United Airlines

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company (in 128 reviews)

• Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 31 reviews)

• Since the merger with Continental, things have gotten progressively worse (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Love vs Hate

Former Employee - Internation Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Internation Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at United Airlines part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic opportunity to get an international perspective of the world, see places you've only dreamed of, meet people that will inspire you, have an experience that few other jobs could ever offer. It's more of a lifestyle than it is a job and a career that once gets in your blood is difficult to transition from, but worth getting hooked on...

Cons

Management has a mob mentality (literally). Rule by fear and harassment...keep the laborers down. I don't know how a company this large, this smart, employing so many thousands of workers and families for so many years right here in the good old USA continue #1) to want to continue to operate by fear based tactics. #2) Spend major time and effort in hiring the BEST people in the nation and then proceed to mentally abuse them into rank and file. #3) Then go about not listening to any of the brilliant ideas those employees come up with to make their job or life better, easier, more cost effective, effeicient and earth friendly.

Dear Upper Management, Board of Directors, C

Satisfied employee

Former Employee - Ramp Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ramp Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Compensation is fair. Great training for all positions.

Cons

Working all hours all days as operations is 24/7. Certain schedules can be a drag at times. Work life balance can be challenging. Very stressful at times.

Airport Customer Service Agent

Current Employee - Airport Customer Service Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Airport Customer Service Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, I can work as much as I want or as little as the minimum required hours per month. Great coworkers, so many that you don't get to know them all, but everyone is very friendly.
    I work in Houston in the international arrivals area and I get to see and meet many people from all over the world. Travel benefits are great.

Cons

They have a points system for sick days and tardies, the amount is only 6 or 7 a year, if you use them all you are fired.

Be more available and listen to your frontline employees, we really have a lot of control of the first impression the customers get, so don' t make us be grumpy unhappy employees.

Safety oriented, friendly co-workers

Current Employee - Aircraft Electronics Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Electronics Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

co-workers greet each other, work load is fair, good benefits, lots of opportunity to grow

Cons

help is hard to come by when you need it, all goes by seniority, no set brake times, pay is not enough if you want to live close to work due to high living costs

please participate and involve more in lower level activities and appreciate the work done by everyday employees

Flight Attendant

I worked at United Airlines

Pros

Free travel, yearly raise, profit sharing, meet new people, the job itself is easy

Cons

The work schedule, being on-call, the merge is making things really messy.

Call Center

Current Employee - Service Director/Lead in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Service Director/Lead in Tampa, FL

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-flight benefits
    - flexible schedule
    - work from home

Cons

-low compensation
    - Open 24/7
    - pay is based on seniority, not merit

-Recognize employees that are knowledgable
    - provide opportunity for a variety of work/projects
    - regular training sessions for underperforming agents

I really wanted this to be better than it is.

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

I love what I do & I love working for this company. The benefits are great. I can't wait to use the pass travel! The HR on-boarding was excellent. My recruiter was friendly & informative.

Cons

The attitudes of the employees are horrible. Everyone seems po'd about something.

Hire babysitters. Seriously though it seems like the company tries to engage employees and I hate to say clean house but there is a lot of really bad attitudes.

Part-time airport employee.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Travel Benefits, Good Healthcare, Flexible Schedule

Cons

Late night hours and mandatory holdovers during disrupted operations.

More investment in IT.

It was good in the day but after they took away the black book it was downhill all the way!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The old regime would listen and learn from their team players no matter what their "rank" but the new regime is only out for themselves. It was a fun environment and we all worked together to achieve the goal that we had set forth. The VPs, etc. were not afraid to get their hands dirty and do menial jobs if it helped the greater good. We built Terminal 1 and invented all the new technology along with it and that made us all proud and then you took credit for all that we had achieved.

Cons

I put in over 15 years and what did I get but a kick in the pants! They said I didn't do anything but they sure wanted my 350 page plus documents I typed and all my knowledge I gained throughout my years before they got rid of me for no reason! I lost my pension, my retirement, my employee investments and my flying benefits. I was even offered a job back into the company after 9/11 and was told to come to work and when I got there they said oh that job was changed and is no longer available. They didn't have the common courtesy to call me before I left and they knew it!

Remember where you started and how you want to be treated. Don't treat others without respect unless you would treat yourself in that negative way! Learn to listen and United might go further! Don't take away what individuals who have worked to obtain away at the end of their career! They put a lot of good years into growing your business and then you took it all away.

Ex Continental now United

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have a strong culture in our facility. It is actually vey nice. Lots of celebrations. Excellent benefits

Cons

Flight privileges are not great unless you have years of seniority or single and don't have a place to get to with definite plans

promotions are hard to come by unless you want to relocate