United Airlines

Updated September 19, 2014
3.1

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits are undoubtably the most adventurous benefits available to any job (in 112 reviews)

• Pros used to be travel benefits but even with 25 years of seniority, you still get bumped (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management has no regard for customers or employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work if you are in the right group.

Current Employee - Account Manager, MileagePlus  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager, MileagePlus in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Allows for some extraordinary life experiences with travel benefits, when you can get on a flight. The work is interesting and challenging, and you will be surrounded by other smart people. Overall the benefits package is good.

Cons

With consolidation with CO and UA staff, almost impossible to move up. Even lateral moves are tough. MileagePlus leadership only recognizes white males with MBAs in their 30s. In general, the airline industry is lower paying than others.

Be aware of the subtle age and sex discrimination that is taking place in MileagePlus under Praveen Sharma's leadership.

Long progressions and unfair point system

Current Employee - Ramp Service  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ramp Service in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits for the whole family, including flights, medical, dental, vision, 401k

Cons

The point system for absent, tardy, and using your sick time. Yes even when you are sick and bring proof like a doctors statement. You still will get a point, I was given a point when I had to go give birth to my child. It's hard to transfer into another station or job position mainly because people won't retire.

Why give us sick time when we get penalized for using it. Also we are human, emergency situations do happen that causes us to be late, like our kids being sick, flat tire, car breaks down, by giving us half a point for being late is unjust. Also for calling in when our children or family member or ill, and receiving 3 points for is awful and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

My experience was thorough and productive. I would like compatible opportunities.

I worked at United Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It's great to be associated with a prominent enterprise company. United has been one of the top companies for quite sometime. There are opportunities all over the country for this company.

Cons

They have a ever changing management and turn over rate. There reputation depending on the group can be different.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flight Operations - Flight Officer

Current Employee - Flight Officer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A legacy US carrier that has morphed over the years from providing a quality luxury experience to a commodity environment to compete with the competition. The Company is still in the consternation of the merger with Continental and has yet to define its own culture. Its a job in today's worrisome labor market and does provide some modest benefits. As with most things in life...the idea of working for an airline and the reality are quite different.

Cons

The merger with Continental still provides a lot of unanswered questions and will probable take another 3-5 years to identify the questions much less provide appropriate answers. Benefits such as pass travel can be useful, but are highly overrated by the general public.

Middle to upper management positions are generally business MBA types with little to no line experience. The weight of the bureaucracy is great, as text book answers are applied to issues which often make the burdens greater on front line employees doing the actual work.

More downs than ups

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Tech  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Tech in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

All of the reasons that Attracted me to the airlines: Flight benefits, Medical insurance, Pension, and wages. Flight benefits were wonderful, you could literally show up at an airport and get on stand-by almost anytime. The corporate culture was pleasant and like a big family.

Cons

All of the Pros above no longer exists or it's value greatly diminished. Now it's impossible to get on a fight stand-by, and if you do get on, it is a middle seat in economy. Medical insurance is reduced at every contract. Our pension was dumped on the PBGC when the company filed for bankruptcy. Our wages are not keeping up with the economy.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Simple is better.

Corporate politics overshadow fair competitive job selection.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The best that a Commercial Aviation career has to offer. Jobs with Union Representation have more security. Moving away from out of date infrastructure.

Cons

Continental employee groups and Continental policies prevail. Non-union ,non-exempt, administrative workers not granted overtime pay. Workload not supported by adequate staffing levels. Retiree group benefits reduced or eliminated. Working Together Guidelines are not considered in everyday operations or performance evaluations. Lack of respect and open communication from Management. Abysmal IT policy and decision making. Employee innovation suppressed.

Overall great people to work with.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to travel across the globe.
    Strong sense of comradery with fellow employees and the industry.

Cons

Employees are subject to uncertainty about reduction in size.
    Highly stressful environment.
    Despite the huge efforts, the experience of the merger was quite painful for many.
    Pay is not the greatest compared to similar jobs in other industries.

Keep on trying, you will get it together.

Collaborative culture, good people

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time

Pros

Analytical and collaborative culture, fair work life balance

Cons

Leadership wanted bold ideas with no risk, not a very social workplace

The friendly skies

Current Employee - Purser
    Current Employee - Purser

I have been working at United Airlines full-time

Pros

Love the people I meet

Cons

Turmoil at the moment. Need better recognition for our hard work.

High learning curve, but satisfying work.

Current Employee - Ramp Service  in  Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Ramp Service in Billings, MT

I have been working at United Airlines part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hard work. Don't need to go to gym anymore. Also, very helpful co workers and great benefits.

Cons

Slow management, takes a lot of time to get needed online credentials and resources.

Make it easier to access uSource for new workers.

Worked for United Airlines? Contribute to the Community!