United Airlines

Updated November 23, 2014
3.1

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company (in 130 reviews)

• Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 31 reviews)

• upper management is horrible they don't care for there best assets there employees (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits and helpful team.

Former Employee - Accountant
    Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for United Airlines was great! Free flights, company discounts on cell phone bill, cable, car rental and other spending. Your department will be very helpful and supportive.. Even when reaching out to other departments.

Cons

Pay could be better. It takes a lot of work and some work can be very demanding with time limits. Isn't worth the pay.

Although you can be frustrated with the demands from your managers, relax, calm down and know your department is trying their best!

Seamless onboarding process and good opportunity all around

Current Employee - Director - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture here is fantastic, so far everyone from mgmt to support seems very open to growing the business and being part of something exciting.

Cons

It's still a big company and change can take time.

Keep the focus on culture, seems to be working

Reservation Sales Agent

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company. Being able to travel the world as a college student has made this company a good fit for me.

Cons

Low pay, Union fees, Buddy passes add to gross income which means paying lots more in taxes at the end of the year if you choose to list someone on your benefits that is not spouse.

Company values-- doing what you say

It was good in the day but after they took away the black book it was downhill all the way!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The old regime would listen and learn from their team players no matter what their "rank" but the new regime is only out for themselves. It was a fun environment and we all worked together to achieve the goal that we had set forth. The VPs, etc. were not afraid to get their hands dirty and do menial jobs if it helped the greater good. We built Terminal 1 and invented all the new technology along with it and that made us all proud and then you took credit for all that we had achieved.

Cons

I put in over 15 years and what did I get but a kick in the pants! They said I didn't do anything but they sure wanted my 350 page plus documents I typed and all my knowledge I gained throughout my years before they got rid of me for no reason! I lost my pension, my retirement, my employee investments and my flying benefits. I was even offered a job back into the company after 9/11 and was told to come to work and when I got there they said oh that job was changed and is no longer available. They didn't have the common courtesy to call me before I left and they knew it!

Remember where you started and how you want to be treated. Don't treat others without respect unless you would treat yourself in that negative way! Learn to listen and United might go further! Don't take away what individuals who have worked to obtain away at the end of their career! They put a lot of good years into growing your business and then you took it all away.

Have the good people and the tools and puts it all in the trash, focusing on the wrong things.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opens your mind. Is its own university since you learn a little bit of everything. You can become jaded in a "Been there done that!" kinda way. Good health and financial benefits. Flexibility after some time or years. Pay gets better after several years; enough not to keep living with 4 to 10+ roommates. You meet incredibly awesome and accomplished people as your co-workers inflight.

Cons

Always on standby pasess and they are pretty much irrelevant and mostly a huge headache for you and your family/friends. At closer risk of getting sick and can only call out sick up to 3 times a year without being a possible huge problem with management. Company does not back you up (maybe very rarely) and less if you have suffer an injury while on the job. Company focus and budget seem to be on the wrong things. They want to spend their time and energy on "items" and promising instead of delivering. Moral is low and there is no sight of energy boosting. Unappreciated time away from home on holidays and birthdays. The sacrifice is a bit much for what you truly get in return. Saddest part is that it could all be turned around if there was someone in charge that cared to.

Start from the top Working Together by being the example and making the employees feel that they are working for pride and not for someone's golf membership. The airline business is a very unique business, if not, please take your time to analyze a passengers reaction and behavior on an airplane, rather than on any other mean of transportation. When it comes to the experience of flying and what and how things are needed, your inflight crew knows best. Please open your mind and acknowledge this. Our input can help more than you could dream of.

awesome working for an airline

Current Employee - Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

culture is great and the people are the best

Cons

wages are not as high

promote from within

It WAS a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competative salary
    Travel benefits
    Great Coworkers
    Ability to trade off shifts makes for flexible schedule

Cons

Only safe customer service jobs are at the hub cities
    Outsourcing much of the labor force
    Management is clueless
    Top heavy company paying millions in bonuses to upper management but outsourcing jobs because of budget cuts
    No real job security anymore

Lose the United model. There are too many people in Willis Tower wasting money and resources trying to justify their jobs. Stop lying to your employees and investors by claiming to care about and appreciate employees, when no one's jobs are safe. At least be compassionate enough to realize that your decisions have a tremendous affect on people's lives and the barage of "we care" emails and bulletins only add insult to injury.

Developer

Former Employee - Senior IT Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work environment is good and quite flexible.

Cons

Merger with Continental Airline is very bad. Two companies are facing internal IT issues as well as operational issues.

Not like it used to be

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has great vision of what it wants to be among the airline industry and it tries to give its employees a wealth of training and provide salaries to be equal to the industry. New employees feel as if they are part of a team and work to achieve #1 Airline.

Cons

When the merger happened, it should have been a complete merger. Let one airline take over the other. Not a "Merger of Equals". You have subCO, subUA and New United employees. Employees who worked for Continental thought we had a pretty good product and didn't see the need for a merger. Years of the merger process and still not a Single Operating Carrier. Too many employees are disheartened that the company cannot go forward because of multi-systems not becoming ONE.

Ask the people who work for you on what they think could be a problem on any future processes the company is planning on making that would affect them and co-workers out in the field. If they see isssues in the future it is best to fix the possibilities than to barrel through the plan and causing bigger problems in the future.

Was laid off after 18 years of service to this company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful co workers, everything is done by seniority

Cons

The merger should have never took place!

Listen to your employees and actually see what's happening