United Airlines

Updated January 31, 2015
Updated January 31, 2015

United Airlines President & CEO Jeffery A. Smisek
Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros
  • The flight benefits were the only reason to justify working for this company (in 130 reviews)

• Excellent travel benefits and very big partnership presence in Chicago area (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management boasts about a culture of dignity and respect but come far from living it (in 31 reviews)

• upper management is horrible they don't care for there best assets there employees (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

No compassion

Current Employee - Service Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines

Pros

Decent salary, lots of vacation time(when you can use it), flexible hours

Cons

No Compassion, United does not care about their employees....it's all about the numbers.

Treat your employees the way you want them to treat customers. I recently moved back to my hometown and shortly after I came down with the flu....I was out for 3 day. My Insurance for my new state had not kicked in yet so I did not have a new doctor.. About a month later I was informed I needed a doctors note...which in my 25 years I had never had to produce for being out sick....except when I was in the hospital and was out for an extended amount of time. Well I tried to explain to them that I did not have a doctors note and why. They took my sick time back and gave me an unexcused absence and a termination warning...even though I called in every day I was out. Our contract says they may ask for documentation but they do not have to...it's up to management. I get my paycheck today and they deducted over $500.00 without even telling me they were going to do it. I'm now short for my rent payment, which means I have no extra money for food or bills. I have diabetes and they have me so stressed out, I have been sick again and my blood sugar is almost 500 vs the normal 70-120. I have put in 25 years with United and I have never been treat like this. Honestly if I didn't need the income so bad I would quit in a heartbeat. They tell us to treat each customer with respect and look at each situation individually and if possible do all we can to help them with their issues...I make exception for customers all the time because it's the right thing to do, but my company does not do that for their employes. I'm wondering how United would feel if I treated my customers as poorly as they treat their employees.

Buyer beware

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Travel benefits, some of the work is interesting, some of the people are good to work with

Cons

The merger put a bunch of people into a blender, I am not sure its all sorted out yet. The company operates 24 hrs a day, and work is definitely not 9-5 (depending on department), I didn't see any effort or resources to develop staff, just bleed them dry and get new ones.

If you like being treated like crap, work at United Airlines.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Cleveland, OH

I worked at United Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers are great to work with. Pay is great, flight Benifits if you can get on a flight.

Cons

CEO dosn't care about you, lies lies and more lies. Ran the Continental logo in to the ground. Horriable company.

Fire CEO.

Good company but....

Former Employee - Jet Shop in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Jet Shop in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at United Airlines

Pros

Decent benefits, decent wages, and safe work environment.

Cons

Never felt stable. Layoffs were a party of life. Wages seemed to always be cut along with benefits. Had to fight for everything you wanted to keep, let alone anything new you needed.

Listen to your employees. They are the front line of your company.

give and take

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

amazing travel benefit
    great entry level job

Cons

low pay
    labor vs management environment

take care your employee more

The rating trend says it ALL!!!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flight benefits
    Good HQ location
    Wage is good for years of experience

Cons

HQ has a meeting problem... I have never seen so many meetings in my life! And nothing seems to get done!
    Still reeling from the merger.
    There is a serious problem with HR and people using HR as a weapon to attack others or to shield themselves from Project Quality (layoffs).

Don't be afraid to get rid of the bad apples... just a few bad people on a floor can reek havoc to moral.

Horrible!

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines

Pros

Flight benefits, compensation, and coworkers.

Cons

Senior Leadership and all Divisional Leadership, HR, and corporate culture.

Get a clue. You're running this company into the ground, and answer to nobody but Wall Street. The culture is horrible, and only getting worse. You might want to look to hire folks who actually have experience within the airline business, not these green behind the ears freshly minted college graduates who have no clue, and think that the more beans you count, the more indispensable they are. They have no clue, and never will. Yet that is who makes up the management team. It's only a matter of time! The I won't even get into the incompetency that pervades every part of HR (including the "leaders" heading it up). That group is totally worthless, and a drag on the entire company!

Its getting better

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working for an airline (other than the travel benefits) is that there is always room to grow. If you are burned out from flying there are office opportunities that you can compete for. If you feel you need more of a challenge while in flight, you can apply to be a service manager. You never feel "stuck" like you have to do the same thing for the rest of your life.

Cons

Reserve sucks. It takes so much out of you. They really need to change the reserve system because straight reserve for years is not healthy at all!

Please consider changing the reserve system. You are losing many brilliant flight attendants to Delta for this reason alone.

Excellent

Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Wellness Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Room to grow and flexiblility and a new challenge

Cons

Only one that does the job . Do not have a good foundation or strategy for the position highed for.

That they should of said in the interview process that they are looking to develop a robust program.

Current employee waiting for interview

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at United Airlines part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, people and benefits

Cons

Nothing really to be concerned about