United Allergy Services

Updated August 27, 2014

3.4

United Allergy Services CEO Nicolas Hollis
Nicolas Hollis

Pros
  • The benefits are great, and there are opportunities to advance within the company, especially if you are open to travel (in 7 reviews)

• The company is growing there is no question about that (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast, everyone has to wear a lot of hats (in 7 reviews)

• Corporate employees or c level promote themselves (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at United Allergy Services

Pros

Very understanding to employees needs .

Cons

No cons other than more organized delegation.

More Organization Is needed.

Excellent entry level opportunity

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great entry level opportunity. You get all kinds of experience by being responsible for your own clinic. This company hire within, so it offers a lot of room for growth. It offers great benefits as well.

Cons

Frequent policy changes.

Bunch of crap!! Run far away!!!

Former Employee - CAS
    Former Employee - CAS

I worked at United Allergy Services

Pros

If you're lucky you get put in an office with great physicians and wonderful office staff. No weekends to work and paid holidays. If you've never had healthcare experience then it's a good way to get acclimated to dealing with patients and staff.

Cons

If you are a nurse you lose your skills because of the monotonous routine of performing allergy tests ( many times on those who don't even need to be tested) and conning them to move forward with IT even if they are positive to just 1 allergen. This is a total SALES job!!!!! As much as they try to tell you it's not it is. You have monthly quotas to meet for testing and converting patients. When you're office is booming they claim how wonderful you are and how you're one of the best and the minute productivity decreases they are on your back about how to increase the number of patients you see monthly. For some reason none of the so called management can seem to understand that most of the time the physicians send only who they want to be tested and don't want you cold calling their patients and annoying them about testing or treatment. While your production is down you get relentless emails, phone calls and visits to discuss what you can do differently to generate production and money for the company. There are numerous spread sheets and report sheets that have to be filled out daily. If that doesn't scream sales right there I don't know what does. Management is terrible!! Area managers in New Jersey are a complete joke. If you want to be in the click and on the good side you have to be a butt kisser. Bottom line is no one cares about you or has your back. They are only worried about how they are profiting from your hard work and scheming to get patients to accept IT. Don't get me wrong for some patients allergy testing and treatment is beneficial and yields positive results but that is only for the small fraction of patients who truly need it. Oh yea and the company makes majority of their profit off of the IT treatment because it is astronomical in cost. So just a little FYI they want you to have the patient sign the form accepting IT before they leave the office after being tested so that the meds can be made the next day. Once the med is made it gets billed to the insurance company and whether the patients decide to come back for their treatment or not they are paying for it. That's why management harps on getting meds made ASAP and are breathing down your back to get them done to prevent a patient from calling you back and telling you they decided they didn't want to move forward with treatment. Pretty crappy move if you ask me. Should've gotten away sooner than I did.

Stop taking so many lavish vacations and maybe you won't have to worry so much about losing money quarterly

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very competitive with other Physicians offices that have an allergy clinic.

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are essentially running your own business

Cons

A lot of pressure to perform allergy tests

OK job out of college

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

OK paying job for recent college graduates with a degree in science.

Cons

You often work in an office, by yourself, and you rarely get to interact with anyone else with the company. Good work-life balance, good amount of vacation time, great healthcare benefits. But limited growth.

Excellent company to work for! Very fulfilling opportunity to help others improve quality of life!

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great opportunity to run your own allergy clinic through a primary care setting. Great benefits, fantastic employees, and plenty of room for growth!

Cons

If you are wanting to grow with the company, then expect to relocate or travel. There are only a select amount of clinics per area and it makes it difficult to make advancements within the company.

Management is doing great with communicating any new changes in a timely manner.

Great Entry level career

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time

Pros

Great team of people who want to see you succeed, and are all over the US

Cons

Not many cons, maybe some of the clinics are in remote places but they have a variety of places to choose from.

This a great experience, you learn about building relationships and gain clinical experience

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company and love the flexibility.

Cons

Bonuses sucks! The max one could make in a bonus is $500, and after taxes it's about $200. Not motivating at all

If you like job stability, clarity, or reliability, this is not the place for you.

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great- especially the healthcare. The experience and potential networking opportunities are also a definite plus. The clinical job itself (testing, treatment) is easy.

Cons

First of all, I sat in on the teleconference discussing the "unfortunate Glassdoor situation" a year ago. It is a thing that was given corporate attention. You cannot trust all the positive reviews.

1) High manager turnover rate (I had 5 in two years). Managers hired externally from sales backgrounds and have little functional knowledge about the CAS job.

2) EXTREMELY shoddy communication between corporate and field. Protocol changes frequent, never explained, and poorly communicated. Questions about why something is done are not tolerated.

3) Sales constantly pushed even though they constantly reassure you that this isn't a sales call. Encouraged methods include: harassing patients in the waiting room, cold-calling every patient in your provider's database, and call back people that had already said no in attempt to change their minds. (All of which I was asked to do).

4) Blanket testing/treatment quota regardless of the patient volume in a clinic. A person in a clinic that sees 12 people a day is expected to test just as many as one that sees 70 a day.

5) Suggestion of a treatment that is not really needed is unethical- no matter how much they push the "everyone can benefit!" angle.

6) General morale in the field is miserable. Most CAS fear for their job continually if not in a high-yielding office. You are often stuck between your non-responsive corporate office and the (often angry and usually for a good reason) doctor's staff.

You are generally expected to present yourself as "the allergy expert". Which is hard when you have one week of training, no functional field support to fall back on, and a non- responsive corporate office that literally only knows you by your sales numbers (I've seen those reports too).

-Before opening a clinic, consider the fact that you NEED to plan to be there longer than the first profitable year. You can't just pull out and close up shop if you are promising/selling a long-term treatment plan.

-Be honest with you incoming employees. It's a sales job. And that's fine. If you're honest, you'll get employees who are expecting to sell and won't resent you for being given responsibilities they were repeatedly promised not to have to do.

-Promote internally. Choose your managers from your CAS. That was your managers are not completely clueless as to how to help their CAS.

Rewarding work, great company, I love my job!

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smaller business makes you feel like a family and part of a team, not just another number. There is much opportunity for growth, since joining the company in May 2011 I have had 3 promotions. My work is always changing and challenging me so I rarely get bored. I enjoy going to work every day (as much as you can...after all it's still work). Competitive pay, lots of fun events and programs with prizes, free stuff and an amazing yearly trip you can win! When you weigh it all out, this job is one of the best you can find. If you have the drive and motivation to do your absolute best at whatever you do, this company will grow you and help you develop yourself for long term success. They don't want to train people only to have them leave a year later, they want you to be happy and successful in your position and they make that very clear!

Cons

No job is perfect, there are always opportunities for improvement but from other friends and family I have talked to in the working world, this company does everything it can to keep the employees happy and really believes in the services we offer to improve patient's quality of life. Communication in the field can be difficult since the company is spread out over the entire country but I have seen a major improvement in this in the last 3 years since I started.

Acknowledging a job well done goes a long way. Its natural to spend more time on the issues and problem children in your team but never forget to recognize those who are making a difference everyday and keeping a positive attitude while doing so! Thank for all you do.

Worked for United Allergy Services? Contribute to the Community!