United Allergy Services

Reset
2.6
United Allergy Services CEO Kevin Johnson
Kevin Johnson

Pros
  • It offers great benefits as well (in 11 reviews)

• Good entry level position to get your feet wet in the world of healthcare (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Trips that they go on is basically for the corporate employees because they set the bar at highly unattainable expectations (in 6 reviews)

• They will tell you a million times this isn't a sales job (in 6 reviews)

Great boss makes a difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaboration, caring environment, able to speak my mind and know I'll be heard, Working for Jesse makes a big difference

Cons

Company as a whole doesn't seem to have figured out things yet. New CEO every year

Advice to Management

Stop always making big changes randomly

Most AGGRAVATING company to work for.

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule your own patients Get own exam room Interact with physicians, PAs, NPs, MAs Perform clinical duties Interact with patients Decent pay for entry-level

Cons

Listen, I read the negative reviews on glassdoor before I was hired. I brushed it off, thinking that these people probably weren't right for the job. Everything written on here is an accurate description of the company. CASs are thrown into clinics, with little clinical training, and are treated like member of a sales team rather than a healthcare professional. Where do I start? Working here has its ups and downs. I love forming long-term relationships with my patients, as I aspire to go to medical school. On the contrary, you literally are doing one of three tasks with patients, all day, every day: giving them the first injection of their treatment, percutaneous testing, or vial pickups. It is literally SO MINDNUMBING and repetitive. I actually had a patient ask me, "Doesn't this get boring for you...?" The answer to that question is yes. Aside from that, there is all the SAME paperwork, you fill out, have doctors fill out, and upload to your computer and the office's EMR. First off, you go through a week long training at the corporate office which barely covers daily tasks. After arriving to your clinic, you'll set up your exam room in a clinic (and MAY, if you're lucky, spend a week or two with someone from corporate), and learn how to operate in your clinic with the physicians, PAs, MAs, and NPs. Doesn't sound too bad, right? Wrong. The entire first month you feel so overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to document paperwork, schedule patients, verify insurance benefits (which is something that a biller should be doing, not an allergy technician), and perform testing and make medications. We crammed all of these tasks into a week at training, so when you're actually in the field it is extremely difficult to adjust, and you're all alone, After the first month, you develop a schedule, pattern of multi-tasking, and establish relationships with office staff. You get pretty used to your only contact with your manager being constant e-mails about numbers; this is literally a sales company that HOUNDS you to constantly get tests and make meds. Monthly budgets are attained by maybe two CAS's, whose providers are very onboard with the business. If you are in the majority of clinics, you will be pressured to get more tests daily, despite doing everything you can to GET more patients. We try to flag patients based on their symptoms and send out wellness updates at the front desk. I would say 3/10 patients indicated to suffer from allergies are interested in getting tested and pursuing injections. Out of the 30% of patients with allergies, only about a quarter pursue treatment due to high insurance costs (deductibles, OOP, etc.). You're not guaranteed to like the office staff at the clinic you're thrown into. I have been to 6 different clinics, and can tell you the environment in all of them were entirely different. Office managers can be crazy and unhelpful, doctors can be rude and disengaged, office personnel can be unsupportive of the services.

Advice to Management

Layoffs due to encroaching bankruptcy were a harsh hit to all employees, those both employed and those let go. There was no notice, it crushed the morale of our team. Reduce the number of clinics to an amount you can actually manage. Employees deserve to interact with their managers IN PERSON at least once a month. You never see your fellow employees. I didn't even meet my manager until after being with the company for 3 months. He left for a different region 3 months later, where I got a new manager, who I saw once every other month. She was with the company 11 months until the company decided to lay-off my manager, my regional manager, the quality assurance team (which came once every few months to make sure we were following protocol/answer questions/etc.), and implementation team (who helps CASs implement in their offices). In addition, more than half of the CASs in my region were laid-off, with ZERO NOTICE. In fact, they weren't able to log in when they arrived at work in the morning, were told to go home. No notice, no chance to say goodbye to their patients, no chance to say goodbye to the doctors.

I do not miss this job

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has decent benefits. You can schedule your own patients. If you get a good clinic the staff can work well with you.

Cons

The doctor and the company pretty much use you to get money, its a sales job but you never reap the benefits. Youre not really ever a specialist because they change things up so often it hard to keep up. There is NO job security you are disposable.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if you all actually cared about the employees.

5. Anonymous

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

Pros

The company has pretty good benefits and okay pay. The people that work for the company are awesome. The company is still young and growing.

Cons

There has been several lay offs, several changes in senior management, little communication to corporate and field employees, low pay, still a young company.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to communicate with employees before making decisions that affect their daily work and listen when a problem is brought to the upper level

Patient Care = Check / Company Outlook = 50/50

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for 2yrs. The biggest plus to being a CAS is the patient interaction. I don't know what some of these other people are talking about when they say this role is a sales job b/c its not. Trust me, in college I worked for At&t and had to go door to door to promote their services and I was paid off of commission...now that's a sells job. Never once have I ever consider this job to be a sells job. I'm seeing patients, I'm making a difference, I'm helping people. I work closely with doctors, NPs, nurses, and etc. I have patients coming to my clinic to obtain guidance on how to obtain relief from their allergies. In my clinic I generate change - yup its cliche but that's what I believe and feel. In this role I have patients thanking me for improving their health I have patients saying things like,"wow now I know why I've been having attacks during the spring while cutting grass thank you." So I get to live work happy b/c I'm continuing to obtain clinic hours and I have patients that are benefiting from my service. The company also pays pretty well and provides you a lot of freedom to really develop yourself which I like. They also try to take care of their own - some may not feel that way but I've witnessed it and experienced it. When I first started working for UAS my clinic closed and I thought I was going to be without a job but they found a clinic for me. A friend of mine was recently laid-off and now they're being called back. So they do try, as long as you are open to what they can do.

Cons

The communication between corporate and the field is broken. It was getting better but then it took a turn and fall off the cliff. We seriously need to re-evaluate how we communicate with one another. More people at the corporate office need to come from the field or at least continue to send people from corporate out into the field so that they can understand what we go through on a day to day. There are definitely promotional opportunities with UAS which is great but lets promote the development programs more - define clear pathways into roles that may lead outside of clinical for those that aspire for more.

Advice to Management

Overall the company means well, but sometimes how you implement changes and how you deliver messages comes across half-witted. Yes, we have to do what's best for the company which in turn leads to good things for your employees but lets be real. To deliver critical news over a conference call, when you know some people wouldn't even attend and we all know you've been planning the announcement for months..come on...lets go back to being a company that is completely transparent like when Nick was in charge b/c I always felt he'd tell you how it is and I never felt in limbo.

Good for a little while, not forever.

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in DFW, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours (Weekends and major holidays off), a good way to get your feet wet in the healthcare field, good starter job. I wouldn't recommend staying longer than a year. Get your experience and get out. It is a good gap year position or for someone just out of undergrad or grad school with not a lot of real world experience.

Cons

Poor pay, sales job without sales pay, punished for being in a slow clinic with low patient volume, no real chance at advancement.

8. Work at UAS if you like sinking ships

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Co-workers are great. Casual attire

Cons

This place is a joke. Leadership doesn't do anything other than pretend to work. It you have good ideas they will get dismissed unless an executive takes it and says it's their idea. Then leadership will not work on it or put any effort towards it. Instead they will find people with "bandwidth" which just means you have a pulse and they don't know what you actually do. In fact that is the biggest problem. we laid off a bunch of people and instead of finding ways to make things better we just have people take on more work

Advice to Management

I still work here because of the people. But get it together. You cannot have everything be "high level" and not support the people that have to do all the extra work. There is no checking in and there is no asking if you can handle it. Exceptions are there but they are not the norm (see previous reviews about a good manager). It all just we need to get this done. But no support and no help just shows us all how much you value us

9. Go at your own risk

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the medical field, getting to know your patients. You totally get to see how a doctors office works and are able to learn a lot about healthcare and medicine. A earlier review mentioned having a great boss makes a difference, hell yay it does but they are few and far between in this company. I had Jesse too and he was the best but he was the only, and I mean the only, good one I had or ever met. I think they just hire one good one to make up for all the others. Is that a pro?

Cons

One minute they are saying how valuable you are and how the company is doing so well, the next they are cutting a bunch of staff. You get mixed messages from the company all the time. Managers only care about increasing their numbers and if you bring up real issues they just ask if it affects tests or not. The new CEO they just switched for Kevin isn't genuine and sounded like a pitchman when he came to visit my area. Bottom line, do not join this company unless you do not have any moral values.

Advice to Management

I did like working for UAS for a short time. And with the right leadership I think it could succeed. But UAS does not have good leaders except for one or two exception, and I don't think the company will last very long without better leaders. Care about your people. Be straight with us. If the company is having issues do not tell us things are fine and then drop it on us later that stuff isn't. Communicate better and get our feedback on things. The best times I had at UAS are the only reason I didn't give this one star because that was the time I felt I was heard. Maybe it was my manager at the time that did it for me but it should be across the board and all the time.

10. Ok

Pros

Travel, learn about healthcare and business

Cons

no upward mobility unless you travel

Advice to Management

get in the field

Sales, Not Patient Care

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, mostly independent work (some micro-managing). Depending on your manager, you can feel like you are apart of a team.

Cons

If you are looking to actually help patients on a consistent basis, this is not the place for you. If you are business minded or just need something healthcare related to put on your resume, this may be the place for you. During training, you focus on protocols/processes. You will not find out about the numbers side of things until you actually get into a clinic. You will be given a goal for test numbers, and if you do not meet the goal you will have to explain why. The decision to test patients is supposed to be up to the doctors, but this is not a valid reason for not meeting test numbers.

Advice to Management

Be sure that the providers are completely on board with allergy testing a large number of their patients before you start harassing your technicians about numbers.

RSS Feed </> Embed