United Allergy Services Reviews

149 reviews filtered by

Unstable Company

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers are decent people. They don't typically micromanage unless the job is not getting done.

Cons

I have had 4 managers since I have started here. Employee Turnover rate is too high and their is lack of professional communication between management and their clients.

Improve communication skills between clients and employees

2. It's a good entry-level job for this fresh out of college

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are willing to work with you and provide good training. As long as you have your Bachelor's degree, it's a way into the healthcare field without requiring prior experience (hard to find these days). Pay and benefits aren't too bad either, and there's lots of room to grow in the company (if you want to). The work is pretty easy. After I left the job, I realized how lenient the management is with it's employees. I guess they have to be since the CAS works by him/herself, but it's nice that you don't have to feel micromanaged and that you are trusted by your company. That's another rare thing to come by these days.

Cons

When I left the company, I left because I was bored and it is basically a sales job. I wanted to be in healthcare because I want to help people. And they are trying to do that, but there are monthly quotas the CAS is pressured to meet. The treatment is expensive, so it is really hard trying to convince a lot of people to do something that they can't afford and isn't guaranteed to work. Also, you are the front line for complaints, whether it be your patients or your clinic staff, including billing complaints, even though you shouldn't have to deal with that. Your experience really depends on where you are placed. If your clinic is engaged, this is a cool job. If you are stuck with a clinic that could not care less, then you're not going to enjoy this job.

This is probably out of your control, but I would like to see the cost of treatment to change in some way. When I worked here, only 15% of my patient's commercial insurance covered treatment. This was a huge reason why I left. I never felt comfortable having this conversation with any of my patients.

Great company

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Technician in Shawnee Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Technician in Shawnee Mission, KS

I have been working at United Allergy Services

Pros

Very supportive and a great company to work for. Good pay and benefits. The work is challenging and beneficial to your learning. Getting to help others have a better quality of life is a great feeling

Cons

Training as a new employee can be overwhelming. There is a lot of information to learn. However the team is supportive and helps you in every way they can to make you successful

Glorified sales position!

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to interact one on one with your patients and depending on the clinic that you are assigned you might get to work with some great doctors. You'll have a lot of free time.

Cons

Very stressful trying to always meet your monthly quota... and there is ALWAYS a monthly quota. Like I stated in the title, this is just a glorified sales position. Everything will basically depend on the clinic that you end up at. For example, is it a multi-provider busy clinic in which case you won't have any issues with meeting your testing numbers or are you at a single provider slow clinic in which case your doomed.

Before I accepted the job I came on here and read some of the reviews but I was naive, surely it wouldn't be like everyone said it would be? I mean come on, we went to school and have Biology/Chemistry degrees, surely we'll get to work in our own lab like they set it up to sound? Wrong. You don't need a science degree for this position, my manager actually has a business and marketing degree. Why? Because this company is all about money. You have been warned, proceed with caution.

Stop changing things so frequently!

Good ideas, Poor execution

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Technician
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Technician

I worked at United Allergy Services

Pros

The one good thing is the all expenses paid trip to San Antonio for a week of intense training. I met some great people at training. It's also nice to have a doctor's office hours and not have to work weekends.

Cons

The company's morals are completely different than my own. I like to help people no matter what the cost is. This company is more worried about meeting the quota and making money than the well being of their patients. I understand it is a business and they need to make money, but there are other ways to do that than to push patients into treatment that they don't need/want. If a patient says no to treatment, I do not feel right to push them and nag them into doing it like the company wants CAT/CAS's to do. I also do not understand how one can be qualified to be a CAT/CAS after just one week of training. In training it is all about protocols and how to convince the patient to do a test and commit to immunotherapy. Not once did we learn about allergies themselves or the science behind what they want us to be "experts" in. The doctors expect you to be an allergist but how is that possible with just one week of training? I do not feel right telling someone that they are sensitive and possibly allergic to something based off of a skin tester and my one week of training. The test could be a false positive and the patient would be getting a year of treatment for something that they aren't really allergic to. When I applied for this job, I thought I would be helping an allergist, not being one. An allergist goes to med school for 4+ years and we go to training for one week but expected to know everything an allergist knows. I wish I would have taken these reviews more seriously when I was researching the company...it would have saved me time and hassle that I went through applying for a job within a company that I thought would have morals being in the healthcare.

Alone, Sales-Focused

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time

Pros

This position often presents great work hours (whenever the clinic is open, so weekends and holidays are off). This position can also be a good way to meet patients and gain experience working with doctors/nurses. The training week in San Antonio is mostly positive.

Cons

You will probably work alone in this position, which makes it very difficult to learn the job at first. Procedures in training do not match what happens in the field, which opens doors for mistakes. It is primarily a sales job, not a health care job. Company is more focused on making money than the health of their patients.

Instead of focusing on implementing more clinics, focus on the ones that you already have and ways to improve satisfaction in those clinics. Consider placing more than one specialist in each clinic. Worry less about money and more about making a difference.

8. N/A

I have been working at United Allergy Services

Pros

Great flexibility and work life balance. You get the opportunity to see hands on the progression of patient's improvement.

Cons

Corporate doesn't understand real field needs. They do not adhere to insurance changes and expect the same type of performance regardless how this is financially impacting a physician. They do not match on 401K and have withheld promised bonuses to management. They originally had quarterly bonuses and changed to an annual bonus. During the course of the last year, they still cannot tell if you are receiving a bonus for the work already done. The company is going through a restructuring process and are eliminating positions left and right.

Interact more with your field managers. Give direction on how to effectively manage insurance changes and have realistic process on how to overcome these changes.

It's not what they tell you it is.

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I have been working at United Allergy Services

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, develop close patient relationships.

Cons

First let's start with the fact at "training" in San Antonio they don't go over HALF of what you need to know. It's very scattered and unorganized. Sure they pay for all the expenses to have you come down and train at their facility but at the end of the week you are not even close to being prepared.
    Next lets talk about the fact that the company wants you to think they actually care about treating patient's allergies. And it took me several months to actually see that is not the case at all. Once you become a CAT/CAS your Account Manager will continually harp on the fact you need to raise your numbers (the amount of tests per month) and then raise your conversion rate (the rate at which a tested pt converts to immunotherapy) because this is how the company makes money.
    Next your account manager doesn't help. He will ask if there is anything that you need to do your job better and then doesn't follow through. They are all about appearing to care about your needs and then in all actuality their prerogative is making the company money at any and all costs.
    ALL MANAGERS PRIORITIES ARE TO MEET TESTING GOALS AND CONVERSION GOALS BECAUSE THEY WILL RECEIVE A BONUS. This means their belief is everyone NO MATTER WHAT should be tested. Even if they have a runny nose once a year- test them and convert them to immunotherapy. It's unethical.
    Simply put this company is not what it appears to be. The recruiter will tell you all about what you want to hear but once you get in the field it's completely different. You are all alone. You have no support. You are pressured to meet goals daily because its so important to management so they get their bonus and you are left doing the dirty work .
    If I could go back I would not agree to take this position, ever. One day the company will be found out for what it really is. And it will shut down...

10. Sales position

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free HSA account
    Mundane work
    Easy job with exposure to a variety of things

Cons

The one year retention rate of this company is less than 30%. The company runs on cash-in and dash model. As soon as the clinic runs dry, the company moves to the next one. The managers want and expect the technicians to say anything and everything to meet the monthly quotas. The company "prides" itself in integrity and patient care, but practices boarder line unethical methods to lure patients in. Read the negative reviews and believe them. If you possess any science knowledge or any principles, this is NOT to be.

Actually apply the RISE UP values to the managers and ROMs. Don't just preach, but act.

House of cards, don't wait for a breeze to blow it over

I worked at United Allergy Services

Pros

Good company culture
    Dedicated allergy technicians
    Head and heart in the right place
    Training program

Cons

Don't live up to RISE UP values
    Corporate vs. them attitude
    Wrong priorities at the top
    Yearly cut to corporate and field staff by 20% to make budget
    Company in financial trouble
    Lack of focus of important issues like patient safety
    Focus on revenue, revenue, revenue - healthcare is about patient care too!

Actions speak louder than words - try walking the walk

United Allergy Services Photos