United Allergy Services

Updated September 9, 2014
3.4

United Allergy Services CEO Nicolas Hollis
Nicolas Hollis

Pros
  • The benefits are great, and there are opportunities to advance within the company, especially if you are open to travel (in 7 reviews)

• The company is growing there is no question about that (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast, everyone has to wear a lot of hats (in 7 reviews)

• Corporate employees or c level promote themselves (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations Account Manager NIGHTMARE!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation and the ability to work from home on some days.

Cons

NO work life-balance, NO communication from upper Management, VERY heavy workload. Everyday- you are given a new area to focus on. No training- just jump in and lots of luck!

Take work off the AM's plate!

A mess

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice pay, Free trip to Texas for a week

Cons

Sales-oriented job, Only cares about money

Care more about the impact of the patients and not just your bottom line

If you like job stability, clarity, or reliability, this is not the place for you.

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are great- especially the healthcare. The experience and potential networking opportunities are also a definite plus. The clinical job itself (testing, treatment) is easy.

Cons

First of all, I sat in on the teleconference discussing the "unfortunate Glassdoor situation" a year ago. It is a thing that was given corporate attention. You cannot trust all the positive reviews.

1) High manager turnover rate (I had 5 in two years). Managers hired externally from sales backgrounds and have little functional knowledge about the CAS job.

2) EXTREMELY shoddy communication between corporate and field. Protocol changes frequent, never explained, and poorly communicated. Questions about why something is done are not tolerated.

3) Sales constantly pushed even though they constantly reassure you that this isn't a sales call. Encouraged methods include: harassing patients in the waiting room, cold-calling every patient in your provider's database, and call back people that had already said no in attempt to change their minds. (All of which I was asked to do).

4) Blanket testing/treatment quota regardless of the patient volume in a clinic. A person in a clinic that sees 12 people a day is expected to test just as many as one that sees 70 a day.

5) Suggestion of a treatment that is not really needed is unethical- no matter how much they push the "everyone can benefit!" angle.

6) General morale in the field is miserable. Most CAS fear for their job continually if not in a high-yielding office. You are often stuck between your non-responsive corporate office and the (often angry and usually for a good reason) doctor's staff.

You are generally expected to present yourself as "the allergy expert". Which is hard when you have one week of training, no functional field support to fall back on, and a non- responsive corporate office that literally only knows you by your sales numbers (I've seen those reports too).

-Before opening a clinic, consider the fact that you NEED to plan to be there longer than the first profitable year. You can't just pull out and close up shop if you are promising/selling a long-term treatment plan.

-Be honest with you incoming employees. It's a sales job. And that's fine. If you're honest, you'll get employees who are expecting to sell and won't resent you for being given responsibilities they were repeatedly promised not to have to do.

-Promote internally. Choose your managers from your CAS. That was your managers are not completely clueless as to how to help their CAS.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This a great experience, you learn about building relationships and gain clinical experience

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company and love the flexibility.

Cons

Bonuses sucks! The max one could make in a bonus is $500, and after taxes it's about $200. Not motivating at all

Rewarding work, great company, I love my job!

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smaller business makes you feel like a family and part of a team, not just another number. There is much opportunity for growth, since joining the company in May 2011 I have had 3 promotions. My work is always changing and challenging me so I rarely get bored. I enjoy going to work every day (as much as you can...after all it's still work). Competitive pay, lots of fun events and programs with prizes, free stuff and an amazing yearly trip you can win! When you weigh it all out, this job is one of the best you can find. If you have the drive and motivation to do your absolute best at whatever you do, this company will grow you and help you develop yourself for long term success. They don't want to train people only to have them leave a year later, they want you to be happy and successful in your position and they make that very clear!

Cons

No job is perfect, there are always opportunities for improvement but from other friends and family I have talked to in the working world, this company does everything it can to keep the employees happy and really believes in the services we offer to improve patient's quality of life. Communication in the field can be difficult since the company is spread out over the entire country but I have seen a major improvement in this in the last 3 years since I started.

Acknowledging a job well done goes a long way. Its natural to spend more time on the issues and problem children in your team but never forget to recognize those who are making a difference everyday and keeping a positive attitude while doing so! Thank for all you do.

Good entry level health care position

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of one-on-one patient experience and experience working with providers in an office setting. You do your own scheduling, learn to verify insurance, make allergy medications, and give injections to patients. There are enough components to the position that it is rarely monotonous.

Cons

The job quality totally depends on the physician's office where you are placed. It can be very busy or really slow.

Metrics are only a small part of a CAS's position when they are in a successful clinic. Focus more on compliance and the good metrics will follow.

A pretty amazing company to work for.

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work as an individual, and in a group (sort of). The pay is good. You get to help people improve their quality of life, and that makes you proud. You set your own goals and work towards them, as an individual and as a team. Your account manager is always there to help meet your goals or answer any questions you may have. Your co-workers are also there for support and help (from a distance, of course). The company, overall does a lot of amazing stuff for their employees (always getting goodies in the mail, company-wide acknowledgement, prizes, etc). The hours are awesome, leaves plenty of time for home life. There are bonuses that you can receive. They promote a lot from within, everyone is capable of promotions.

Cons

Sometimes you aren't put in the best doctor's office in the world. Sometimes communication isn't that great, but that's in any business. Because you are remote, sometimes issues (with office staff, computer systems, etc) aren't/can't be addressed as soon as they would need to be. It can be boring at times. They are VERY strict on documentation, and that can be aggravating at times. If you want to be promoted to a higher position, you must be willing to travel, a lot.

Pretty much everything is amazing working for this company.

I love what I do!

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

First and foremost I'd like to say that I've been with UAS for about 2 years now, and I love my job! I love the patient interaction and I love the mixture of things that I get to do on a daily basis. As a CAS I test patients for allergies, I treat patients for allergies, I educate patients and their families about their allergies, and I manage my own clinic. A big plus about this job, is that you are held accountable for your performance. You can’t blame anyone else, which is how it should be, I love that. I also love the fact that I am a part of a team (in a sense) but at the same time I have a lot of independence and freedom when it comes to my clinic. I love the fact that at the end of the day I can go home and feel like I've made a difference. I love the fact that at the end of the day I can go to sleep at night knowing that my patients are in good hands. I also love the fact that at the end of the day I can go home and feel as if I'm a part of something bigger than myself. I'm out there every day treating patients, educating patients, improving the health of patients, and I'm loving it. In regards to the company itself, it's a great company to be a part of. They provide you with respectable pay, especially for recent grads and those looking to break into healthcare. The benefits are great, and there are opportunities to advance within the company, especially if you are open to travel. They also promote healthy lifestyle changes/choices and you get prizes for taking part in living a healthier lifestyle, which is right up my alley because I'm a health nut. So if you're looking for a job that will provide you with clinical and lab experience that also offers opportunities for growth, then you've found it.

Cons

Now of course just like all companies there are some negatives. You can feel a little disconnected to corporate at times because of the distance between yourself and the corporate office. Granted the communication has improved dramatically from when I first came on board and they are continuing to improve it. Changes can roll out rather quickly at times so if you're not able to roll with the punches or adapt it can be a little overwhelming at times. Granted the changes are generally made to improve the care that you are providing.

Continue improving on maintaining a strong line of communication with the field. Trust me we appreciate it, and it lets us know that we are being listened to.

Don't be fooled. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule. Good holidays.

Cons

It is hard to get questions answered since you are the only one from UAS in the office. And when you do the advice given always changes. There is no constancy with protocol. It can take days to weeks to receive answers. Depending on who you ask, you get told a different way that's the "right" way. Management doesn't have you're back and will throw you under the bus to save their own job. There is no way to move up unless you want to move to San Antonio. Overall, it was a horrible experience. The doctors office you get placed in will make or break your take on the job. They will either make it super easy and keep you busy testing. Or they will never refer patients to you and you'll be threatened daily that you are about to get fired.

Clinical Allergy Specialist

I worked at United Allergy Services

Pros

The time-off policies are nice--decent amount of PTO, paid holidays, and also can take unpaid time off. The benefits are decent. Can select an option for basic insurance that is free. There is a lot of independence--set up own patients for allergy testing and things like that. It seems like the immunotherapy does actually work for some patients. You basically run your clinic--order office supplies, scheduling, calling patients, etc. There's a lot of responsibilities. It's a good option if you're just graduating--gives you a decent amount of experience in a lot of different areas.

Cons

Training is awful--they fly you to San Antonio, overwork you all week, and if you don't get through the tests you get sent home; once you get to your clinic following your training it's like they didn't teach you anything at all. Prepare to be bored all the time if you happen to get stuck with a clinic that doesn't see a high volume of patients daily. Communication is terrible. Numbers are harped on a lot. You are expected to test a certain number of patients and get a certain number to agree to their immunotherapy. These numbers are frequently impossible to hit. If you don't hit them, your AM harps on you a lot. Also, they like to just close offices if you aren't hitting your numbers--this screws over you, your office staff, and all the patients you conned into paying for the immunotherapy. Also, if you want to move up within this company you have to be willing to drive A LOT, like travel over an entire state, a number of states, nation, etc.

Pay your CATs/CASs better

Worked for United Allergy Services? Contribute to the Community!