United American Insurance

Good Company, under pay employees for Dallas

Former Employee - Business Analyst in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in McKinney, TX

I worked at United American Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workload is balanced, management cares. CEO walks around and talks to employees. Entry level employees with promise get lots of exposure to upper management. Lots of women in management. They do try very hard with customer service.

Cons

Strict 2 week vacation policy, promotions take FOREVER, interview process can take FOREVER. Travel is often understated if your are in a management position. Pay is low compared to the Dallas metroplex, benefits are OK, but are rated according to salary ranges. Bad managers get too many chances.

Keep up the good work with interns, being personable to your college graduates. Pay attention to "what millenials want" trends, some young employees goals do NOT align with the traditional way the company is run. Try to get them to move around and see different aspects of the company.

IT

I worked at United American Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has pension plan on top of 401k if you can stay for 20 years. Company does not pay out retirement until employee turns 65 regardless if they are employed with company at the time they turn 65.

Cons

Company does not invest in developing management. To many managers in positions they are not trained or prepared for. C Level focus to much on there bonuses and what is best for the employees and company.

Listen to the professional you hire. If you make someone responsible, give then the authority to go along with it. Need to allow management other than the CEO and Sr. management to approve purchases.

Avoid a career in Marketing

I worked at United American Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid learning experience.
    Unless you're a college grad, or just need something to hold you until you find something worthwhile, avoid this place. It should serve as nothing more than a stepping stone.

Cons

Marketing management is a girl's club. Those women were a total joke. I can laugh about it now, but it was truly terrible.

Salaries way below competitive. Huge work loads.

Not for professionals.

Remove the the director of marketing. Do it Today!

Data Entry Position Less than Ideal

Current Employee - Data Entry Operator in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Data Entry Operator in McKinney, TX

I have been working at United American Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can work 8-4:30 with a 30 minute lunch.
    Has a pension plan.

Cons

There are no raises in this department. They only pay you according to how much you key.
    Expected to key high volumes of work(ex.: must key a minimum of 60 applications per hour).
    No one really talks because they're too busy typing there fingers off.
    Has no refrigerators for employees to store lunch in(good way to get food poisoning).
    3 microwaves for hundreds of employees. Spent half of my lunch break waiting in line to heat up my food.

Studies have shown that if you care about your employees they're actually more productive. Not giving raises, providing no refrigerators, and expecting 60 apps per hour is just ridiculous, and harbors a very negative work environment. My advice is to start caring about all of your employees.

Good pay, underhanded managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX

I worked at United American Insurance part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers, my schedule was flexible and I was paid fairly well.

Cons

No personal growth or opportunity to learn more. Very conservative and adverse to change.

The marketing managers were sometimes unethical and there was little communication. They did not help you, train you or care about your personal career goals and I did not see a future working with them.

Conservative and dependable employer that avoids gimmicks.

I have been working at United American Insurance

Pros

Stability. I don't think anyone has ever been laid off here. Also one of the few companies that pays a pension to rank and file employees.

Cons

Takes pride in making do with less; this means equipment is often obsolete or worn and pay is low in some company sectors. Telecom side burns through and discards human resources.

Exciting opportunity.

I have been working at United American Insurance

Pros

Like family; big company, small company feel.

Cons

Grown way too fast and therefor is a little behind in progressive thinking

Objective review from 2 year employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX

I have been working at United American Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers. Excellent community involvement. Overall good starter job or transition job. Location is great with food close by. Decent benefits as well.

Cons

DO NOT accept a job in the marketing department. IT department is good but marketing also has an IT group and you should run, not walk, from any opportunity in marketing or marketing IT. Very old technology. You will not be working with anything or anyone cutting edge. You will be an island with much of the responsibility but no authority. Very low compensation in marketing compared to market rates. Make no mistake, you are not hired for your opinions or input, you are hired only for your ability to perform when and how you are told. Very limited training provided. Cubicle environment. I have literally been publicly berated for being 5 minutes late to a weekly meeting because I was addressing a critical issue.

Overall I think the company is so successful financially (being an insurance company) they can fail on an enormous number of levels and still survive. You should actually invest in your employees rather than try to deplete their knowledge and patience only to replace them and retrain a new person.

agent

Former Employee - Agent in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Agent in Concord, CA

I worked at United American Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they have a good insurance product

Cons

they need to have a better lead system more up to date

get a better lead system

United American Seminar

Current Employee - Investment Advisor in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Investment Advisor in Frisco, TX

I have been working at United American Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great seminar and events and nice people

Cons

I don't see any cons

Agent