United-Bilt Homes Reviews

Don Pitts

1. Accounts Payable Coordinator

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Bella Vista, AR
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Bella Vista, AR

I have been working at United-Bilt Homes (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very pleasant working environment.
     They have the best benefits I have ever had.
    They offer a good profit sharing program.
    Over all good place to work.

Cons

If you work in the sales offices, the schedule is not very family friendly.
    In any department you are in depending on who you work under may depend on how flexible your schedule can be when a peer may have a very flexible schedule someone else may not.

Advice to Management

Make the schedules more flexible for people that can easily do some things from home. Maybe offer assistance for education. Make sure what is acceptable in one department is acceptable in all departments. Provide management training for all staff that has direct reports. I have seen some behavior that is very questionable when someone might need a few hours off for something necessary that could not be foreseen.
    Keep communication going, a good manager will speak to every employee everyday even if it is just to say hi, not to mention everyone should hear good job sometimes.

2. Best company I have worked for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at United-Bilt Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and tea potential to move up. Everyone is will ing to help their fellow employees. If you want to move up those in power will gladly help you do so. If you are happy to do what you know they will allow you to and still help you make plenty of money doing it.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like certain departments and administrators don't really know or have forgotten what actually goes on in the sales offices. A lot of hours but the compensation usually makes up for that.

Advice to Management

Find out what those in the sales office need help with. Sometimes it may be as simple as an extra day off the next month.

3. All in all, a decent experience.

I have been working at United-Bilt Homes

Pros

Ability to get out in. the country. In the right market, can be very profitable

Cons

MANY miles driven with very little reimbursement. You will wear out a vehicle or two until you get to the volume of getting a company truck. Below par incentive programs. An unusual and most times, negative commission program. Family ran company. Financing program needs to catch up with the market. You live and die by financing. For the last year.....mainly die. Limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Try to get out of the 70's way of doing things.

5. Very forward thinking company!

I have been working at United-Bilt Homes

Pros

Great working environment & people! The company is very concerned about creating quality built Custom Homes! The company seems very committed to building good teams.

Cons

Growing pains between new division and seasoned divisions. Change can be painful but management is working diligently to smooth the transition between the old & new business methods.

Advice to Management

Leadership my want to provide more training to make sure that both On Site & Corporate Office Teams are working together more cohesively.

6. Not Relavent in the Market

Former Employee - Sales in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Sales in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at United-Bilt Homes

Pros

Unfortunately there are no pros that come to mind.

Cons

Long Hours that include 6 day work weeks. Possible predatory lending practices.

The average sales person knows very little about the construction of UBH houses. The houses are only as good as the Construction manager who over sees the project. That reduces quality control.

Advice to Management

Sell all of the "Sales centers".

7. Great Small builder to work for

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Sherman, TX
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Sherman, TX

I worked at United-Bilt Homes

Pros

Small regional Builder with a good leadership team and support structure

Cons

A lot of windshield time and low compensation for it

Advice to Management

management needs to reconsider the comp package to make it more in line with the other managers in the company

8. Great career at United-Bilt Homes

I have been working at United-Bilt Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 20 years and I hope to retire as a United-Bilt Homes employee. The company has given me a lot of opportunities and responsibilities which I very much appreciate. They have always treated me fairly and given me the autonomy and support I need to do my job. The pay program and benefit packages are great and the company is very generous in these areas. Bonus money and vacation opportunities are also available based on my performance, which I like.

Cons

The company is slow to change sometimes and they hang on too long to processes or concepts that are no longer efficient or make us money. They need to be less tolerant of average to below average performance. This applies to all departments in the company.

Advice to Management

Create a culture where accountability for your work and your results is standard.

9. Good quality place for a career

I have been working at United-Bilt Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good group of people that expect you to work hard. No doubt there are some quirks being around a family run company. Management will do their best to take care of employees that have the best interest of the company in mind. I think I have met both of the folks on the negative reviews. They were let go because they were stealing from the company in various ways.

Cons

Working around family quirks. Better training on certain parts of the job.

10. Stay away, company dying

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at United-Bilt Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None, unless you can't find a job anywhere else......and I mean ANYWHERE!!

Cons

Grossly overpriced; incompetent management; ridiculous work requirements like cleaning old nasty repossessed homes and driving to people'shouses at night collecting money; 80 hour work weeks; hunting people down in the privacy of their own homes 3 nights a week till 9:00pm; incomplete homes, cheap finish out materials, don't finance paint, flooring, appliances and land improvements; they take all uoi land, not just what they need to make the loan; they determine the down payment and land requirement based on how much you have which is why most of the salespeople lie on the applications; discriminate against low income areas (red lining); hire and promote based on everything you're not supposed to; #1 manager just quit, best people are jumping ship, sales and production down 40%; owner's sons are running this company into the ground

Advice to Management

You don't know how to hire, train and develop people, you only know how to point out all of their faults and deficiencies.....which you do weekly on the Friday brow-beating conference call. Sell the company before it's worth nothing.....or turn it over to CY and retire. Also, it isn't 1970 anymore, update the ugly trailer look, seriously!

But they won't listen.....the board members sit on every committee and continue to make decisions like it's still 1963.....look at the committee lists: marketing, floor plan, model park, etc....it's all the same 5 or 6 guys making all the inbred decisions.

11. They love to lie to people.

Former Employee - Sales in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at United-Bilt Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and that's it, there are no other pros to working here.

Cons

There are too many cons to list.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your a christian based company that has real ethics and values. The reality is you have none of those things and the only thing you worship is your bottom line.

RSS Feed </> Embed