United BioSource

Updated January 14, 2015
2.4

United BioSource CEO Patrick Lindsay
Patrick Lindsay

Pros
  • Work from home and the employees are good (in 5 reviews)

• Great flexible work arrangements (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Although I have plenty of PTO--can't find the time to take--work/life balance is struggling (in 8 reviews)

• ve seen UBC lose so many great employees because of the way upper management takes advantage of them (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Originally great company--not so great under Express Scripts--yet?

I have been working at United BioSource

Pros

IN being an Express Scripts company--a fortune 100 company--one would assume lots of growth and opportunity. Great people to work with, flexible schedule and work from home. Decent benefits.

Cons

Not enough resources for all the work coming in--getting way more overworked on top of the already standard CRO overwork. Although I have plenty of PTO--can't find the time to take--work/life balance is struggling. Not enough support from upper management to line managers.

Give us the tools and support we need to do our job well and don't make us feel like we're being set up for failure.

Company started out okay, but it got worse as time went on.

I worked at United BioSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the actual work I did there. I felt like it was meaningful.

Cons

Company promised me that there would be advancement opportunities, but I got stuck in the same position until I finally left the company. Also, people are not promoted based on performance, but rather, how long they have been there and who they know. Plus, the company does not seem to care about its employees at all, and I have heard things have gotten worse since I left.

You need to completely rethink a lot of things starting with your lack of interest in showing concern for your employees.

Drastic downturn in the past few years; significant exodus of tenured management; minimal leadership and communication

Former Employee - Operations in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at United BioSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the Operations side of the house (HR, Finance, IT, Facilities) for many years and survived multiple acquisitions. There are a number of dedicated, smart and talented people there who care about the quality of their performance. These are the people that helped me keep my sanity.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons FAR out-weigh the pros. Many of the Sr leadership have left the company, some due to the chaos and nonsense being owned by a Fortune 25 corporation has introduced. Other key personnel have left because Sr leadership have left. The environment is draining, constantly chaotic and unpleasant because most people are unhappy working there. Many of the remaining Sr leadership within UBC, I feel, are shortsighted and do not demonstrate appreciation for the people that keep the business running. Employees are very often forced to figure out how to increasingly produce more and more, with less and less resources.
    During the time of my employment, I was not unhappy with my compensation. However, once I started learning about the marketplace for my skills, I found that I was being underpaid. Health insurance quality has steadily dwindled, in terms of price for value. Options for 401k investing are unusually poor.
    Overall, I felt like the big guy was constantly looking for new ways to take advantage of the little guy.

Stop and take a step back. Reevaluate your strategic thinking and consider how your decisions affect the employees' ability and desire to do their jobs well. The job market is not what it was in 2009-2012, and talented employees do not have to settle for mediocre-at-best employment.

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Associate Director in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at United BioSource full-time

Pros

Short term experience for a future role

Cons

High turnover, Disempowered employees, Disorganization, Organizational culture, No clear vision for current challenges or future growth, Lack of HR support, Ill defined organizational roles, Cross-departmental sniping

Used to be good....

I worked at United BioSource

Pros

Very little. Work from home and the employees are good.

Cons

Where do I start. There is no management when everyone is a manager. The benefits are a joke and expensive. Leadership? It doesn't exist in this place. The president is non existent unless he has something negative to offer.

Learn how to manage people. You have people in charge that has no business managing themselves let alone a whole team. Break away from ESI. They are killing your business.

This is not a company for employee's since the company was bought out it has been worse.

I have been working at United BioSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

losing holidays, benefits are terrible, and leadership does not care about its employee's.

Cons

very stressful environment managers like to micro manage. No room for advancement.

Good potential. just hoping they don't get sucked up into Corporate culture of express scripts

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at United BioSource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Still has the small company feel, where people actually enjoy coming to work. Very social office in Kansas City compared to other CROs. They still do the monthly bday celebrations for the employees (ice cream truck, popcorn, cake, morning bagels, etc). Loved the environment there.
    The one thing I so appreciated at UBC was the simplicity of how they managed studies. I don't mean this in a bad way in any way, but they are about 5 years behind the rest of the so-called "big CROs". Meaning, they don't have 5000 systems to manage studies, budgets, resources, payments, milestones, etc. Yes there is definitely some room for improvement but they are working on that. As a Project Manager, I could actually focus on the management of my study versus managing all the various systems which I find incredibly frustrating at other bigger CROs. I went to a smaller CRO on purpose and was not disappointed.....until the non-compete (described below). I will definitely still be there if it had not been for that stupid non-compete.
    Salary was good and if you're willing to sign their non-compete the bonus plan is very generous. That is their justification actually for the non-compete. they want a return on investment. They give you a nice bonus and they want some reassurance you won't bail. I get it, but it's not for me.

Cons

(I actually left in 2014 but that wasn't an option.) Anyway, the primary reason I left was due to Express Scripts implementing their corporate nonsense with a non-compete contract required for senior PMs and above. I had many lengthy discussions with HR and senior management, including president of the company. He did go out of his way to call me on 3 occasions to discuss my concerns and really try to talk it through. I was very impressed by that, but it was just not an option for me to put my salary at risk for a year.
    Even though Express Scripts acquired UBC a few years ago, there are still many changes being made at UBC.
    UBC hasn't totally implemented electronic TMF, so they do have a lot of paper TMFs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - again not a fun of a system that doesn't function the way it's supposed to anyway - or claims to be "efficient" but it is so far from being "efficient" it's laughable. So, the fact that UBC doesn't have a full eTMF wasn't a huge con for me but I know others have different opinions in this area.
    Another con from this Express Scripts merger (or whatever you want to call it) is the loss of some vacation days. From what I understand UBC lost 2-3 vacation days because they were required to now follow the vacation days that Express scripts has. I didn't experience this myself as I started and left in 2014 but I understand others were upset about this.

Get rid of that ridiculous non-compete!!
    Also, tracking of study finances really needs to improve. I would have loved to have been a part of that improvement process.

UBC and ESRX, oil and water

I worked at United BioSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong client ethic, commitment to deliver

Cons

inherent bureacracy of a giant parent from another industry

Clinical Site Specialist

Current Employee - Clinical Site Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Clinical Site Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at United BioSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work, Life, Balance exist. If you have a personal issue, your usually able to to talk with your manager and they understand.

Cons

Communication is not good and unorganized. The company doesn't train employees that well and your stuck figuring things out on your own. The biggest con is it can feel like you do everyone's job in the company versus your own and that makes it confusing to know exactly what your role is.

Stop telling confidential information to employees that needs to stay with managers.

Fair

Current Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at United BioSource full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Good launching pad, Travel policy

Cons

Pay is not great; biased environment; high turnover.
    No transparency

Learn to retain talent and be transparent. Have one voice

United BioSource Photos