United BioSource

United BioSource Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

United BioSource CEO Patrick Lindsay

Patrick Lindsay

Pros
  • Great flexible work arrangements(in 6 reviews)

• Can work from home and flexible hours(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The general consensus is that there is no work life balance(in 7 reviews)

• ve seen UBC lose so many great employees because of the way upper management takes advantage of them(in 8 reviews)

Good potential. just hoping they don't get sucked up into Corporate culture of express scripts

Project Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsStill has the small company feel, where people actually enjoy coming to work. Very social office in Kansas City compared to other CROs. They still do the monthly bday celebrations for the employees (ice cream truck, popcorn, cake, morning bagels, etc). Loved the environment there.
    The one thing I so appreciated at UBC was the simplicity of how they managed studies. I don't mean this in a bad way in any way, but they are about 5 years behind the rest of the so-called "big CROs". Meaning, they don't have 5000 systems to manage studies, budgets, resources, payments, milestones, etc. Yes there is definitely some room for improvement but they are working on that. As a Project Manager, I could actually focus on the management of my study versus managing all the various systems which I find incredibly frustrating at other bigger CROs. I went to a smaller CRO on purpose and was not disappointed.....until the non-compete (described below). I will definitely still be there if it had not been for that stupid non-compete.
    Salary was good and if you're willing to sign their non-compete the bonus plan is very generous. That is their justification actually for the non-compete. they want a return on investment. They give you a nice bonus and they want some reassurance you won't bail. I get it, but it's not for me.

Cons(I actually left in 2014 but that wasn't an option.) Anyway, the primary reason I left was due to Express Scripts implementing their corporate nonsense with a non-compete contract required for senior PMs and above. I had many lengthy discussions with HR and senior management, including president of the company. He did go out of his way to call me on 3 occasions to discuss my concerns and really try to talk it through. I was very impressed by that, but it was just not an option for me to put my salary at risk for a year.
    Even though Express Scripts acquired UBC a few years ago, there are still many changes being made at UBC.
    UBC hasn't totally implemented electronic TMF, so they do have a lot of paper TMFs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - again not a fun of a system that doesn't function the way it's supposed to anyway - or claims to be "efficient" but it is so far from being "efficient" it's laughable. So, the fact that UBC doesn't have a full eTMF wasn't a huge con for me but I know others have different opinions in this area.
    Another con from this Express Scripts merger (or whatever you want to call it) is the loss of some vacation days. From what I understand UBC lost 2-3 vacation days because they were required to now follow the vacation days that Express scripts has. I didn't experience this myself as I started and left in 2014 but I understand others were upset about this.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of that ridiculous non-compete!!
    Also, tracking of study finances really needs to improve. I would have loved to have been a part of that improvement process.

UBC and ESRX, oil and water

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong client ethic, commitment to deliver

Consinherent bureacracy of a giant parent from another industry

Clinical Site Specialist

Clinical Site Specialist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWork, Life, Balance exist. If you have a personal issue, your usually able to to talk with your manager and they understand.

ConsCommunication is not good and unorganized. The company doesn't train employees that well and your stuck figuring things out on your own. The biggest con is it can feel like you do everyone's job in the company versus your own and that makes it confusing to know exactly what your role is.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling confidential information to employees that needs to stay with managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fair

Research Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsFlexibility, Good launching pad, Travel policy

ConsPay is not great; biased environment; high turnover.
    No transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to retain talent and be transparent. Have one voice

CRA for 1.5 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsLaid back work environment and management is easy to talk to....

ConsYou feel overworked all of the time.... Very high turnover rate.

Clinical Research Organization with too many growing/merger pains

ProsClose-knit team, Collegial environment within employees

ConsToo much bureaucracy, lack of direction, personality issues within executive team and too little clear information about professional career paths, development

Advice to Senior ManagementChampion the talent you have! Listen to your staff!

Its a job

Senior Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsThe pay is good, 17/hr

ConsUnorganized management, inexperience, high overturns including management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, this is a good place to work

Terrible management; secrecy and brown-nosing abound.

Reimbursement Manager (Former Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsThere's not too much I can say that's positive. Benefits are good, Express Scripts matches employee contributions into 401Ks up to 6%. There was always catered lunches and cake provided to employees. Expect to gain 10 lbs when you start.

ConsJOBSEEKER BEWARE! I admit that it may be difficult for me to write a totally objective review, but I will do my best. At first glance, everyone at UBC is very welcoming and friendly. Do not be fooled. This is, first and foremost, a call center. Employees that perform well and brown-nose to Sales Reps tend to get a pass any time they do something wrong. Disrespectful to co-workers? Failure to follow processes? These things are not a priority if you are close with the right people. Managers (I was a manager during my time here) are taught to be stand-offish to reports. You are told to limit any socialization with your team. During my time here I overheard another manager respond to a question from one of her reports with "That's not for people in your pay grade to know." Instances like this were commonplace. Anytime an employee makes a mistake or there is an issue with performance, nothing is done to remedy the issue until that employee is in a disciplinary meeting where a "laundry list" of problems is presented to the employee. In my team alone, three people were experiencing issues like this (and subsequently complained to HR) at the same time. My supervisor and trainer were consistently insincere and cold towards me, often looking right past me as I stood in front of them and asked a question. I could go on and on. I disregarded the negative employee reviews on Glassdoor and accepted the position anyway. This is a decision that I will regret every time I look at my resume and see United BioSource Corporation. No job is worth being treated the way I was treated here.

Great work environment, great company, but there's the parent...

Software Developer (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsGreat benefits, good compensation, working from home is encouraged. Coworkers are generally helpful, friendly and competent. My managers don't ask for overtime or push too hard, and are very fair.

ConsI was scared to work here after reading other GlassDoor reviews, but found the work environment very pleasant. My biggest gripe is with Express Scripts, who is UBC's parent company, and their HR people are not very helpful when there are problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to make HR more responsive to employee needs. Getting a ticket number from them doesn't fix the problem.

Great entry level job that you can quickly turn into a career

Research Associate (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

Proshands on leadership style that help you learn, much better than useless training videos. Competitive salary, bonus, 401k, sharing options, healthcare, and additional benefits. Well rounded project tasks that help you learn the company quickly. Despite other comments, I find that there is a good work life balance and I have never had much issue with this

ConsCan't really pinpoint too many cons in my department. Perhaps, too much differentiation between departments and company does not choose to work as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore inter-department collaboration on projects.

Worked for United BioSource? Contribute to the Community!