United BioSource Reviews

Reset
2.6
United BioSource CEO Patrick Lindsay
Patrick Lindsay

Pros
  • Work from home and the employees are good (in 5 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, decent benefits package, smart employees and fairly interesting work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Although I have plenty of PTO--can't find the time to take--work/life balance is struggling (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough support from upper management to line managers (in 9 reviews)

Great company working though Big company takeover..

I have been working at United BioSource full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to work for the money you get paid. I think that is fair as it should be anywhere. They are the that write the not so nice reviews. Get it people, you really do have to work to get paid. Great people and they really do try to keep things upbeat (even if I find them corny at times lol). Very flexible which is awesome and a few days a week allowed to WFH tops it all. I have been there for many years and I honestly do not hate going to work. I don't mind it. I actually look forward to it after being home for a couple of days. It's the only place I have ever worked where I could say that.

Cons

Parking! If you don't get there by 8am then you are pretty much walking to work! We are 'permitted' to park in other 'specified' lots in other buildings but it's a walk!

Advice to Management

Come back to us! Pay more attention to us. KC, Blue Bell, WV, etc.... It's always St. Louis and we are alone. If you are going to continue to do that then please give us some Sr. Management 'ON SITE'.

Typical CRO

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at United BioSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with schedule, a few decent perks for field monitors.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for professional development and advancement for regional CRAs

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward talent

Regret

Current Employee - Senior CRA in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior CRA in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at United BioSource

Pros

experience and decent pay. That's really it. I can't think of another Pro

Cons

overworked, zero home life balance, no direction

Advice to Management

be upfront and honest. Don't promise things in the interview that you know you can't keep a month later.

5. Great place to work as a developer.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at United BioSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at UBC for 3+ years now and I still love it. There is pretty much one standing rule, if you get your work done on time and other's don't have to clean up any of your mistakes you can pretty much do what you want. You can work from home as much as you want, the pay is good, and there is a lot of opportunity to learn.

Cons

The one aspect of UBC is it helps drug manufacturers get their drug to market. This can cause for some very tight deadlines and some demanding customers. We also have a proprietary MVC framework used for most development that is very hard for new people to pick up with very little documentation.

Advice to Management

We need better communication between development silo's so we work better together.

Nice people with confused management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at United BioSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with very smart people doing really interesting work. Fun atmosphere with frequent get togethers. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Management has changed hands several times, and the current folks might be a bit overwhelmed. There is a sense that if you get to a certain level you are at risk of losing your job when the corporate wind shifts- and it shifts a lot.

Advice to Management

Focus more on growing your overall business and less on dividing up who gets what within what you already have.

Growth potential

I have been working at United BioSource (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great growth potential--great working environment with flexibility--good compensation.

Cons

Growing pains with associated mayhem and lack of oversight.

Advice to Management

Value the employees you have--make them feel like they matter.

Company started out okay, but it got worse as time went on.

I worked at United BioSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the actual work I did there. I felt like it was meaningful.

Cons

Company promised me that there would be advancement opportunities, but I got stuck in the same position until I finally left the company. Also, people are not promoted based on performance, but rather, how long they have been there and who they know. Plus, the company does not seem to care about its employees at all, and I have heard things have gotten worse since I left.

Advice to Management

You need to completely rethink a lot of things starting with your lack of interest in showing concern for your employees.

Drastic downturn in the past few years; significant exodus of tenured management; minimal leadership and communication

Former Employee - Operations in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at United BioSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the Operations side of the house (HR, Finance, IT, Facilities) for many years and survived multiple acquisitions. There are a number of dedicated, smart and talented people there who care about the quality of their performance. These are the people that helped me keep my sanity.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons FAR out-weigh the pros. Many of the Sr leadership have left the company, some due to the chaos and nonsense being owned by a Fortune 25 corporation has introduced. Other key personnel have left because Sr leadership have left. The environment is draining, constantly chaotic and unpleasant because most people are unhappy working there. Many of the remaining Sr leadership within UBC, I feel, are shortsighted and do not demonstrate appreciation for the people that keep the business running. Employees are very often forced to figure out how to increasingly produce more and more, with less and less resources. During the time of my employment, I was not unhappy with my compensation. However, once I started learning about the marketplace for my skills, I found that I was being underpaid. Health insurance quality has steadily dwindled, in terms of price for value. Options for 401k investing are unusually poor. Overall, I felt like the big guy was constantly looking for new ways to take advantage of the little guy.

Advice to Management

Stop and take a step back. Reevaluate your strategic thinking and consider how your decisions affect the employees' ability and desire to do their jobs well. The job market is not what it was in 2009-2012, and talented employees do not have to settle for mediocre-at-best employment.

This is not a company for employee's since the company was bought out it has been worse.

I have been working at United BioSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

losing holidays, benefits are terrible, and leadership does not care about its employee's.

Cons

very stressful environment managers like to micro manage. No room for advancement.

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Associate Director in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at United BioSource full-time

Pros

Short term experience for a future role

Cons

High turnover, Disempowered employees, Disorganization, Organizational culture, No clear vision for current challenges or future growth, Lack of HR support, Ill defined organizational roles, Cross-departmental sniping

RSS Feed </> Embed