United Brands

1.8

Michael Michail

This company is amazing!

I worked at United Brands

Pros

Ignore what that negative person is saying about United Brands, this company is amazing! I worked there for about 4 years, and during this time they treated me as well as the other employees great. They always took care of us, for example whenever I had something personal gong on the CEO always made sure to lend a helping hand which I greatly appreciated. I learned a lot about marketing and other avenues which has helped me in my career since leaving United Brands. I did not leave on bad terms I left because I relocated. All in al great company!

Cons

Sometimes you just don't have something bad to say about a previous employer. I personally think the CEO runs this company great.

None, they are doing great.

Is it possible to give negative stars? This place is a joke!

I worked at United Brands full-time

Pros

There are absolutely ZERO good things about working at this place. A clown college would be more organized and rewarding.

Cons

The CEO is possibly the poorest excuse for a decent human being I've ever met. He lies, stabs people in the back and would probably screw over ANYONE for a dollar. He makes the final call on every decision yet will blame all others for his mistakes and throw anyone under the bus to make himself look better. Benefits, bonuses and commissions get cut but he flaunts his lavish lifestyle in front of employees. Everything is last minute and disorganized from meetings to new products. No concern or respect for employees personal time. Nothing but constant stress and aggravation that will take years off your life.

Only advice is to current employees. Get out as quick as you can.

I'm only posting this review because the company asked us too

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at United Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros here, you are always flying by the seat of your pants and almost all projects are last minute announcements. If the CEO wants you to go to a trade show that starts on a Monday, you are advised the Friday before around mid afternoon. What amazing planning!!! You know these shows are coming up more than 6 months in advance but you want to tell someone they are going less than 5 days from the start of the show?

Cons

The CEO will most likely hire a company to find out who posted this and terminate me because I told the truth and not what he wants to hear.
    I knew I should not have taken this job once I learned there is not a full time HR person, now I understand why. This HR person would field complaints all day long as to how the CEO treats people, talks down to us, belittles us, lies to us, he is full of empty promises and best of all he pays us late. Paying late includes but is not limited to payroll, car allowance, commissions, expenses and bonus if you get one. Speaking of bonus it strange at how the CEO NEVER puts your bonus in an email it is all verbal so you guessed it he will conveniently change his mind, forget to he committed to paying you a bonus or lower the amount he originally committed to.

Learn how to treat people, after reading each of the 12 reviews only two are NOT true, the April 23, 2013 and January 20, 2014 the remaining 10 reviews are 100% dead on!!!
    Hire a full time HR person that is full of talent to right this ship, they can evaluate current employees, exit interviews with former employees and each situation to resolve and make this a better company, possibly a better company. The CEO would need to listen and act on what the HR person tells him.

Like to be verbally abused, paid late, lied to and work for a company that will make you compromise your integrity?

Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at United Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only "Pro" about this company is the people working there. Good guys & Gals that deserve much much more and my heart goes out to them that they have to deal with the stress and emotional roller coaster that goes on with working there day in and day out. I will also add that the product is good, probably the best liquid in the high ABV category... but you will NEVER see the CEO drinking it...

Cons

Where do I start? Get the popcorn because working at United Brands is like watching a reality TV series with the perfect mix of drama, lies and bad humor. Would you enjoy working for a pathological liar, self-absorbed, verbally abusive, manipulating bipolar story telling owner who lives in his former glory and has no real compassion for his employees? How many times can you burn a bridge and still cross it? Well folks, at United Brands you will not only burn bridges... you will be asked to rebuild them with no tools. If you can't rebuild the bridge you will still be asked to swim across a raging river that even Mr. Phelps (most decorated Olympic swimmer) couldn't cross without any flotation device and risk drowning at the company's expense. You will put your reputation on the line and in the end the only thing you will get from working there is a scar on your resume, damaged distributor relationships and time wasted that you can't get back... Unless you have a DeLorean that is.

Have a family? No problem, at United Brands they want you to enjoy your family. You will be asked to change your plans at the drop of a dime to travel to another market for an entire work week, sometimes as little as 2-3 days’ notice. The best part is that Monday and Friday ARE NOT travel days at United Brands.. In fact you will be expected to travel on your personal time, well after 4pm. Wait, it gets better... refill your popcorn if you need to.... Since you will constantly be changing your well planned calendar last minute constantly, you will miss your kids sporting events, anniversary's, birthdays, important distributor meetings that you've had planned for weeks and any other commitments you may have had to customers/wholesalers etc.

Do you enjoy being paid late when the mortgage is due? Again, this is the place for you. I've never worked for a company in my 25+ professional years that had so many issues with paying their employees on time. Everything will be paid late at some point in your wonderful time working at United Brands. Salary, Car Allowance, Commissions and fictional quarterly bonus checks that you might receive but probably not. Don't worry...United Brands will explain that it's ADPs fault without taking any of the blame. From time to time even company gas cards will be shut off and you will be hung with expensing gas receipts out of pocket for company travel. Again, don’t worry… it’s probably not their fault, most likely a problem with the company that issues the cards. Also, don't question if you've earned your bonus or when you’ll receive it, this will only make you look greedy and unappreciative. Then again, you will never know how to earn your bonus because you're never told. This way the company will never have to pay it but hold it over your head as motivation to work harder.

The CEO of this company is a great salesman, selling you a false sense of hope and major upside with brands that are laughed at by distributor partners behind closed doors. There's a high horse that the CEO rides when he will venture into one of his "I started this category" or "we are the leaders" glory stories. You will always be chasing the past and be held to goals that are only obtainable with a budget, proper planning and good working business relationships (all of which you won’t have). The only thing the CEO cares about is beating the competition because he lost to the competition in the market years ago and hasn't ever fully recovered. Most men would rather deny a hard truth then face it and this speaks volumes to the feeling you will get working at United Brands. It too will consume you until your focus will be on the competition, instead of moving forward and finding effective ways to grow the business for United Brands and their distributor partners.

Please do your homework on this company before you accept any offers... I saw to many good people come and go there. The company will use you if your reputation in the industry is A+ then will throw you out like trash when it’s been decided you're not getting the job done fast enough. Working at United Brands is like reliving your biggest failures in life over and over every day. You will be EXPECTED to produce yesterday. If you don't, you will eventually be put you down, verbally abused and sometimes even in front of other employees. You will go home every night taking out your frustrations on your family and begin to compromise your integrity. If you do preform, you will be glorified and will they boast about your achievements on conference calls making everyone else feel worthless and unaccomplished. Don't even think to disagree with the company either, otherwise they will single you out on company wide calls and get everyone to side with them making you look like an insubordinate employee. Keeping your mouth shut is the best practice at this company and any invitation to speak freely or share your opinion is a trap to expose how you really feel. Want to keep your job, keep your mouth shut.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING at United Brands is last minute. Travel, new item launches, company wide meetings, conference calls etc. United Brands wastes more money changing flights, hotels and other commitments than you could ever imagine. Again, don't worry... when you do travel you will be asked to stay in a hotel for $100 or less while the CEO will stay in a suite. Sometimes, you will even have to share rooms with another employee leaving you with no privacy at the end of a long exhausting work day. If you're reading this you may be asking yourself how anyone could work there and endure such torment. Well simply put, they have to. When you sign up with United Brands it's like selling your soul to the devil and agreeing to live in hell.

My hope is that the CEO himself will read this and one day and realize he owes every loyal employee still there and distributor partner that does business with him an apology. Take some responsibility for your actions. Own up to your mistakes. Repay your debts, no matter how old they are. Pay your people what you committed to on time every time for what they have put their blood sweat and tears into helping you build. Stop living the “Lavish Life” in front of everyone when employees are putting groceries on credit cards because checks are late. Allow someone who knows how to run a functional business run your business before you destroy the remaining "semi good" relationships you have left. Again, let the people you hire do the job you've hired them for, they’re most likely making better business decisions that are beneficial for the company then you are.

United Brands is not respected in the industry but laughed at and it's apparent every time they throw their weight around and don't get what they want. What goes around comes around and the only reason it hasn't fully came around to United Brands is that your people end up taking the fall on your behalf.

On that note I’m going to end my review with a quote I read on the internet that reminded me of my days at United Brands and prompted me to go into such a detailed review of my experience there. “Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, “What’s in it for me”

As soon as the CEO stops having a selfish mindset that everything is about “something being owed to him” United Brands will be successful and start to repair the bridges that have been destroyed.

Stop taking management positions to grow your paycheck. United Brands will never change until the CEO gets a real eye opening "heart to heart" from his most trusted senior management. Unfortunately per the usual, they will all tell him what he wants to hear so nothing will ever change.

This company sucks!

I worked at United Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

none that I can find

Cons

Everything- Lame benefits, lame management, lame product etc...... No culture just thrreats

Let someone who knows what they are doing run your company for you.

Glad I Quit

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at United Brands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, this company will continue to struggle. The CEO just doesn't understand the beer business. He pays a good salary but, it's not worth the headache.

Cons

Everything is a firedrill. No organization on how to go to market. CEO has a a bad reputation with 90% of the distributors. He calls at all times of the night. Last minute conference calls every week. All you worry about is getting fired because you're never doing a good job. He's lost a lot of good people over the years that have done great things in our industry. He needs to concentrate on operations and allow somebody else to focus on sales. All the CEO wants is complements from his people saying how great he is, little does he know most people are laughing at him.

He needs to realize his brand is old and isn't relevant anymore with the 21-28 crowd. Liquid is good but, they need a new brand to support the JOOSE brand.

Horrible! Run away and do not work here!

I worked at United Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I would never recommend this to a friend.

Cons

CEO is abusive, screams at employees and belittles sales team, lies, does not keep his word, screws employees out of pay, commissions, reimbursements etc. works everyone 80 hours a week, except himself.

Take a management class and learn how to run a company.

CEO Is A "Do As I Say Not As I Do" Person While Promising You The World And Delivering "ZERO"

I worked at United Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn how to make a 360 degree turn at the last minute and weekly basis while at the same time you are flying by the seat of your pants. It does not matter what you already have scheduled, nor does it matter what it will cost the company (most times its a ridiculous amount of money), all that matters is that this is the best new idea and change your plans no matter what!!!

Cons

The CEO will tell you he is a good guy (there very minimum things he does as a good guy) but the bad more than out weighs the good, your paychecks will be paid late, your car allowance, your expenses, your commissions will be paid late also but its NEVER United Brands fault is always ADP's fault. I have worked for other companies that use ADP and never had an issue of any form of payroll being late from ADP.
    Traveling...we were mandated to stay at $79 per night hotel including tax and if you are conducting a kick off meeting at a distributor with the CEO you are staying at the $79 hotel while he is staying in a suite for $279 per night blocks away. You will be required to travel early in the morning or late afternoon/early evening making your work day 12, 13 as much as 16 hours long but the CEO will travel first class middle of the day.... If you travel or work on the weekend you DO NOT get additional time off!!!
    You will be told your getting "X" percentage of your bonus and when you get your bonus check it is for a much lower amount or you will be told your getting a bonus and low and behold now your not getting a bonus.
    Your always told to make a plan and follow it but when you make a plan the CEO will never approve it, so this turns into a waste of time.
    Promotional discounts will be set up with A/P and the CEO signing off on the program (per UBC Policy) then a few weeks later you will be told the promo is no longer approved and you have tell the distributor the program is being ended much sooner than later and this happens after the distributor has ordered truck loads of product/cases, the CEO doesn't care if he upsets the distributors that sells his brands because he has the best product ever sold since sliced bread.
    There is not a long term program for any employee at this company expect for the CEO and any family members that work thier, we were promised via a company wide conference call in May 2013 that 401K will start July 1, 2013 and as of May 2014 that 401K program has not started, when discussed with the CEO he keeps pushing the date out of when a 401K will start...
    Company gas cards have been turned off 4 times so far in 2013, company cell phones have been turned by Verizon and payroll has been paid late 4 times since December 2013.

This was the most dysfunctional company I have ever worked for, there is not advancement available, you do not get yearly/annual evaluations, your pay will get reduced, your maximum bonus percentage will get reduced, your commissions will get reduced, your car allowance will get reduced all after you get settled into the company and your growing sales and distribution. When your in a room with a group of people and the CEO will say "I'm the smartest person in the room"!!!

If it's the CEO's idea it's the best idea!!!

Current Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at United Brands full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Once you get use to the 15 minute notice to be on a conference call you will hear ideas from the CEO and others but the CEO's ideas are the only ones that are used. It's a complete waste if time.

Cons

Your told you can make all the money you can with unlimited commissions you will build your territory then get addiontal distributors to manage which makes you check bigger then months later your making too much money and your territory is reduced.

CEO must stop being a part of sales the distributor network dislikes him because of how pushy he is and does not deliver what he commits too.

Company Overview

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at United Brands full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is opportunity for growth within this privately held company. Contact with the owner is available making growth possible and increased understanding available.

Cons

There are often changes within the manufacturing/retail industry.