United Fire & Casualty

Clear the air

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Webster, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Webster, TX

I have been working at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is room for opportunity and growth. It is a friendly environment where management is not breathing down your neck as long as you are doing your job. We have a great mix of people in our department. I like the office structure since we have moved to our new office located in Webster, TX

Cons

Just like any other place you work, you have office politics. If you mind your own business and do your job, you should be fine. If you are terminated/fired, it is because you have done something really unacceptable because UFG gives you a lot of opportunities to straighten up your act or to improve in the areas that you are struggling.

Marketing

I worked at United Fire & Casualty

Pros

Still some good people left over from Financial Pacific but most pushed out. Current management wants to go young and dumb.

Cons

Rocklin branch is a mess. Best people leaving like rats leaving sinking ship.

Senior management needs new senior management team in the Western Region.

Not worth your time sadly

Former Employee - Rater Associate in Galveston, VA
    Former Employee - Rater Associate in Galveston, VA

I worked at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To have a paycheck and work 8 hour shifts. Maybe a better office since its not in that abestos filled building on the island.

Cons

I worked here for almost 4 years as a Rater Associate at the Galveston location. Sadly, many of the other negative reviews are accurate. There is no training program, benefits/salary are below industry standards, and if you are young you are bullied by the older BOI crowd. Turn over is high and you are micro managed to the point when you are on a break they follow you to the restroom or to the parking lot. My particular manager had my emails sent to her and she gossiped about me to other co workers in her clique. If you are an over achiever they put a block on the system to dwindle your numbers. I was harrassed by managers and co workers and as soon as I went to HR about it tht is when the target was on my back. Upon leaving I had accumulated over 100 hours of PTO which was due to me but somehow they found ways to not pay me. Right now I am dealing with them not giving accurrate background check info to future employers such as my title and time worked there. They think they are offering better benefits now that they have moved off the island but its still the same old school non creative ideas and a management system based on who you know and how much you kiss up to them.

Find fresh new qualified people and get rid of the toxic Galveston folks who run it.

Learning and growth experience

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Galveston, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Galveston, TX

I have been working at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to get your foot in the insurance industry

Cons

Structure is not taken as serious

Structure

Just a so-so place to work

I worked at United Fire & Casualty full-time

Pros

Many of the employees are genuinely good people and make it enjoyable to come to work each day. Best benefit is the defined benefit pension plan.

Cons

Limited career opportunities in many departments other than claims & underwriting. Inconsistency in how supervisor handle performance reviews, so high achievers are not always recognized in their dept where in other depts low performers are receiving good scores. HR has too much say in raises, should be determined by supervisor.

Employees are replaceable, so I have been told, however, is the knowledge and dedication you lose along with the cost of turnover, not worth paying a competitive wage to keep good employees??

prior comment from Sr Adjuster most have been from a supervisor?

Current Employee - Adjuster in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Adjuster in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

OK pay & raise if they like you that year
    Good for people w no insurance background (call it molding)

Cons

Prior comment about turnover was incorrect, In the past 2-3 years most of the claims adjusters were giving the opportunity to quit or be terminated - most of these were long term employees. When prior owner was still alive the company was family oriented. No longer the case. Micro-Managing is rampant, would still recommend someone since no other company options in Cedar Rapids

Lighten up and see what is happening in several departments. Let the employees try to do their job without being second guessed constantly = very demoralizing

Please do not work for this company

Former Employee - Can't Say in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Can't Say in Westminster, CO

I worked at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Making friends was probably the best - please know that the length of time worked listed below is inaccurate to protect who we are

Cons

We wish the information could be more positive, it took us hours to put this together to try to be as factual and to the point as possible. We hope you all take the information seriously.

-micro managed
    -sad environment
    -email being monitored constantly by local management for no real reason
    -email wording criticized
    -Everyone takes lunch at 12pm to make it easy to monitor anyone taking a longer lunch
    -Many procedures are not in writing and therefore must be asked to others, getting different answers by different employees. It made it easy to use as a negative tool if an employee messed up on something.

Acknowledge and take measures to not allow this type of behavior to go on and on. Do what is right and ethical. In the end, how do you want your company to be viewed by others?

Good solid place to work

Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Longevity of other employees here makes for stable work force. Supportive and family-like feel between employees. President of the company is easily approachable.

Cons

Home office is downtown and parking is an issue. Pay is about 10% less than other insurance companies for the same job. This is the only insurance company in town for miles, so if you are an insurance professional, you're kind of stuck with what they offer you.

Beware the employee handbook

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocklin, CA

I worked at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of senior management is dumb and dumber so if you can feed egos and stifle your intelligence, you may like it.

Cons

They out and out lie. In spite of what you are told and what the handbook states, if you're not a senior manager and you make one minor infraction of something in their "bible", the employee handbook, you are GONE! However, the senior managers can violate anything in the handbook and they remain protected. You have no voice and no support.

Pay what it takes to attract the real leaders and innovators in the industry, instead of the chump change you now call a salary. Sad but true - you get what you pay for.

Can be good if you have the right supervisor

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at United Fire & Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive co-workers.
    Emphasis on continuing education.
    Workload is not too bad. I get to leave my work at work.

Cons

Seems the micromanaging is becoming worse and worse.
    Pay is not that great.
    Promotions are rare.
    Products are behind compared to what competitors do.
    Huge differences among branches, doesn't seem like the same company.

You are losing young talent due to micromanaging by terrible supervisors.