United Launch Alliance

United Launch Alliance Reviews

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
2.5

United Launch Alliance President and Chief Executive Officer Salvatore T. "Tory" Bruno
Salvatore T. "Tory" Bruno

Pros
  • Benefits are good, flexibility is good, locations are good (in 10 reviews)

• Pay and benefits and ease to get time off when you need it (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The two companies (Boeing and Lockheed) merged - they seem to have taken the worst of both companies and formed ULA (in 4 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for advancement (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, but often moving in circles instead of forward

I worked at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are some of the best I have ever worked with, and the ultimate product is something you can be really proud to have worked on.

Cons

Constant churn. It can take a long time, and many levels of red tape to get through, for a necessary decision to be made. Accountability at all levels is often lacking.

Take a long, hard look at the disjointed organizational structure. There is the core program, and then every other program is like its own island. It is no wonder that people often feel like communication across groups is such an issue.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get worse…

Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It pays just below industry average

Cons

Having an advanced degree from a top engineering school and working for several years before being hired I expected to enter a company where a smart person with initiative and hard work could really advance their career. Wow, was I wrong. This place is where careers go to die. If you are any good your current manager will not let you go. It is so pervasive that after the recent “job fair” a manager even boasted in a meeting that he told the new hiring manager who she could hire based on which of his employees had the most years of service and was the least valuable to his team. Just reinforced the notion the career fair was all a sham to raise moral and things would remain the same.

You may say the right things and have good ideas but the front line managers do what they want when they want. They’ve all worked together for 20+ years, they’ve outlasted every executive and they know they are untouchable. If you want any of your initiatives to reach the ground floor you can’t rely on them.

Poor Leadership

I have been working at United Launch Alliance

Pros

The People, the product the mission!

Cons

No advancement for middle tier employees. Management is plentiful and incompetent, many of the managers are not capable of interacting effectively with their employees despite the implementation of various systems. Senior leadership will smile to your face then stab you in the back. ONE SICK DAY A YEAR! What more needs to be said.

Focus on reducing the number of directors and senior managers before you steal benefits from your employees. Stop comparing yourself with your competitors and realize you have the best team in the launch business. If you continue to cut benefits and treat your employees as numbers on a spreadsheet you will end up just like your competitors, rebuilding burnt launch pads and filing law suits against your customers

CEO Tory Bruno ROCKS

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ULA is the premier rocket builder and launch services company. The people in Production and Launch Operations are great to work with. There is a great deal of dedication to mission. Tory Bruno is the new CEO and has clearly articulated a strategy and direction to keep ULA on top. As with most Aerospace companies the graying workforce is an issue. Company appears to be addressing this now.

Cons

Health care cost to the employees increased an average of 40% this year.
    The politics sometimes get in the way of doing the right thing. Executives fail to hold each other accountable. Non-engineering jobs being done by engineers increases the cost of doing business. Again, I think tolerance of this behavior is on the wane, but it has been very bad at time. I don’t think the CEO will allow this to continue.

Hold your people accountable. Don't assume expertise in one area translates to effective performance in a completely different discipline. Assess management and get rid of the poor performers.

Rewarding career and exciting future

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At ULA I have the privilege of working with a fantastic team of very talented people. It is rewarding to be a part of providing reliable access to space and delivering valuable space assets that advance science and help keep our troops safe. There is also a lot of exciting work on the horizon including human spaceflight.

Time off is generous and we get the week between Christmas and New Year's day off. Working hours are usually flexible and some people work from home as needed.

There is plenty of opportunity for career advancement and our new CEO has announced plans for a program to accelerate people into leadership positions.

Cons

The industry is being transformed with new players entering the market and we are a little behind in the public relations battle since there is a lot of misinformation being spread by our deep pocketed and media savvy competition. This has hurt morale, but things are improving now with a new more optimistic and forward thinking CEO.

Low , What is the productivity improvement of MOS, etc.....?

I have been working at United Launch Alliance

Pros

We launch sophisticated military, NASA rockets etc... These Customers demand extra requirements. They cost MONEY. We cannot simply absorb this. We HAVE to charge for this. Allow us to charge as options (ala carte options) as required. We are so damn proud to help our defense and weather satellites as needed, I am very proud to be a part of designing mission unique requirements for these missions to meet our Country's needs. Both weather and military. I personally have a very short time left in my career. This does not mean that I should not give up ANY thought of compromising our capabilities. And I WILL NOT.

Cons

The Company has taken a recalcitrant attitude regarding future go f9orward plans. I personally don't care if someone chooses to select me as a negative commenter.

Standard aerospace contractor environment, practices and procedures (in general)

Former Employee - Finance in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Finance in Denver, CO

I worked at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People in my department were basically OK. Benefits OK. Physical work environment OK. Training OK. Pay OK.

Cons

Overall environment hostile since two established work populations from different companies were thrown together and expected to cooperate. Layoffs started when the launch services "merger" occurred in 2006 and continue to this day. Emphasis mainly on college hires.

Take care of your people and the business will take care of itself. Pay attention to the big picture and don't assume ULA is the only game in town. Train your staff to think and bid competitively. Failure to do all of this will eventually cause launch failures and contract losses.

it is a good job but

Current Employee - Aerospace Tech in Cape Canaveral, FL
    Current Employee - Aerospace Tech in Cape Canaveral, FL

I have been working at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

working aerospace it has a union so that makes it a lot better

Cons

Poor Management not real good stucture

Good people, bad management team

Former Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I worked at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Historically good salaries, interesting work (space launch). Yes, this really IS rocket science.

Cons

The management structure is very top heavy and is populated by many individuals who got there through the 'buddy system'. There is very little opportunity for promotion unless you blessed by the 'in' crowd. Benefits have been shrinking and there is constant fear or layoffs.

Many should retire or just leave.

Decent company, Future TBD

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in Centennial, CO

I have been working at United Launch Alliance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation and benefits, flexible hours. Transformational change is coming.

Cons

Reductions in workforce are recurring. Transformational change is coming.

All hands meetings are useless and disruptive. The Mission and Vision statement slogans don't mean much to most of us.

United Launch Alliance Photos