United Nations Foundation

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kathy Calvin

Good organization and benefits, too hierarchical

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsUN Foundation treats its employees well, including benefits, flexibility, and work-life balance. It is especially good if the team is strong. Find out who supervisor is since that matters most. Teams vary greatly within the foundation.

ConsIt is very hierarchical and one must get used to that. It is very formal for being a non-profit. There are certain people you are likely to never interact with if you are a lower level staff.

Good Place, Good People

ProsGreat place to start career

Conslots of turnover, maybe because everyone is younger

Great people doing great work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe open workplace facilitated employees getting to know one another. Everyone was always making sure that I was getting the work I expected and willing to train me in new tasks. Received very helpful career advice

ConsSuperiors were great, fellow interns took themselves a little too seriously and were very unprofessional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stellar Non-Profit

UNA-USA Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAvailable resources un-matched anywhere else in sector, Excellent executive leadership, great working environment, strong partners. Great staff as well

ConsNot all teams (P&G kind of model here) are equally well run and equally well organized. Office space split between two buildings (three blocks apart) greatly diminishes collaborative atmosphere. I would often go whole days without seeing another member of my team,

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and instill some foundation-wide practices to bolster performance of struggling branches like UNA-USA

flashy, expensive, UN-foundation

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosyoung, hard working teams, creativity encouraged for certain departments

Consextravagant spending; no measurable impact; focused on marketing, not programming

A good place to intern, depending on the department

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsUN Foundation has a lot going for it in terms of the intern experiece:
    Many opportunities to make substantive contributions.
    Variety of projects
    Company/Intern Bonding and Service Projects
    Good connections, friendly and supportive colleagues.
    PAID!

ConsVery top-down structure, especially in decision making. Employee vs. Executive vision occasionally seemed to clash.
    Corporate atmosphere, especially for a non-profit

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a more watchful eye on organizational culture.

A great organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and good holidays, people are nice.

ConsA little bit bureaucratic but as an organization with 200-300 employees, it's unavoidalbe

great place to work, good career launch pad

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosa very idealistic and enthusiastic workforce, well funded with many side perks (amazing happy hours, etc.). Several very interesting campaigns, and employees are generally very well educated and very nice.

Conssome concerns about long-term sustainability after the end of Ted Turner's contributions; the shift from substantive work towards more campaign & fundraising efforts means the focus of the organization is shifting (this could be good or bad depending on your perspective). There is a culture of having a bit too much money to work with - problems are often addressed by throwing cash at them, rather than creative problem solving under fiscal constraints (although, the flipside would likely be much worse)

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership is generally very supportive, however there is a definite sense of disconnect between realities on the ground and what the management seems to understand. There is definitely preferential treatment for different campaigns; but this seems to manifest less in bold leadership and more in slightly passive aggressive (and not entirely transparent) management. Also, the environment is a bit corporate - it would be nice to relax a little bit; might be able to attract more issue-oriented people that way who would otherwise be turned off by working at a place resembling a wall street bank.

The best job in the best organization

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe UN foundation is an amazing place, working daily with these people is indeed a privilege.
    I have worked in a few non-profits and other organizations and these guys do it right. The atmosphere is buzzing with good energy and the results these guys achieve are amazing.

ConsFast paced, make sure you can keep up!

No experience, just like to work with a humanitarian organization like UN.

Finance and Administration (Current Employee) Kampala, Orientale (Democratic Republic of Congo)

ProsTo help the helpless

To be exposed to the international work environment.

To add on to my social networks.

To face international challenges.

ConsLimited WORLD WIDE coverage.

They insist on international languages

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to as many countries as possible because almost all countries in the world have problems.

Worked for United Nations Foundation? Contribute to the Community!