United Nations Foundation

Updated February 17, 2015
3.1

Kathy Calvin

14 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

UNF treats its employees well, but campaigns are poorly integrated within the UNF umbrella.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management treats its employees very well with generous benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

If you are working on a specific campaign, you're experience will depend largely on the Executive Director and your team. UNF has a lot of very young people with limited work experience, but lots of enthusiasm. UNF doesn't seem to provide much training for EDs to improve their management skills.

UNF should consider more rigorous evaluation of Executive Directors and provide them with training to improve their skills. Also, management should consider creating more jobs at upper levels to allow people to grow with the Foundation.

Good place to start, but not to stay

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation

Pros

I started here as an intern and worked my way up, I was with the organization for almost three years. It was a great place to start and I was able to make good connections with other organizations and individuals. The name of the organization carries more weight that the actual work that is produced. Beautiful office space.

Cons

Incredibly bureaucratic, and does not encourage creativity or new ideas. The organization is run like a company and it shows at all levels and fails to uphold the values it says it stands for. Upper management has little to no respect for junior staff. The work environment is very toxic resulting in very high turnover.

Embrace new and creative ideas, or else you will lose the people that bring diversity and fresh ideas to the organization.

Working with UNF was the Worst Experience in my Career

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

The company has great name recognition because of the United Nations. When mentioning this company's name in conversation, most people do not hear you say the "Foundation" part of the company title and assume you are the United Nations. UNF's name carries more weight that the work that is produced. The company has great benefits and If you come from a culturally diverse background, you will fit in here.

Cons

I was excited to join the United Nations Foundation. They seemed very mission driven and from the outside seemed like they are genuinely making a difference in this world. I am a professional who has been recognized for my hard work and dedication but when joining UNF, there was no learning curve. They expect you to jump in there and know everything with minimal training. The department I worked in was timing me in my first week. How is one supposed to learn while being timed? The office gossip is also a put off. The people employed there engaging in office gossip and office politics make you question if these are the same people trying to make a difference in the world. Upper management doesn't really have respect for junior staff nor do they care about the hard work put in. If your mental health is important to you and if you want to be happy where you work, i would not recommend this company.

Good place to work, boring

Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation

Pros

Stable job, Employee protection, great benefits, great workspace

Cons

Boring work, very administrative, filled with red tape

The senior leadership care more about making money than alleviating poverty.

Former Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UNF is uniquely positioned at a nexus between private, public, and the UN. The company benefits are amazing.

Cons

The leadership has an authoritarian leadership style, in which they are not transparent about decision making and do not communicate. Entire departments and individuals have been fired at the drop of a hat with no explanation. This breeds a culture of fear within the organization.

Communicate with employees. Develop transparent hiring and promotions.

It is a dynamic, professional, and productive organization with a good foundation.

Current Employee - Associate Director, Operations in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director, Operations in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the positive aspects include great Benefits, good work life balance, competent staff, and emphasis on innovation and initiative.

Cons

Management can sometimes be a distant from the staff, lack of clear articulation of professional opportunities and high turnover among staff.

Engage with staff, provide clarity and transparent guidelines on how to move up in the organization.

Awesome internship experience

Current Intern - Public Affairs Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Public Affairs Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They give interns a lot responsibility which is good. It's also a fun place to work and start a caeer. The people are really passionate about the causes they work on

Cons

Sometimes the organization gets a little full of itself and the work that it is doing. Internships are also now unpaid which is terrible!

Retain interns as full time staff!

great, deep, modern, but losing focus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

progressive, wide ranging, creative, care about people.

Cons

losing its vision? not enough management (talent untapped, politics)

manage. focus. core.

Good organization and benefits, too hierarchical

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

UN Foundation treats its employees well, including benefits, flexibility, and work-life balance. It is especially good if the team is strong. Find out who supervisor is since that matters most. Teams vary greatly within the foundation.

Cons

It is very hierarchical and one must get used to that. It is very formal for being a non-profit. There are certain people you are likely to never interact with if you are a lower level staff.

Stellar Non-Profit

Former Intern - UNA-USA Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - UNA-USA Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Available resources un-matched anywhere else in sector, Excellent executive leadership, great working environment, strong partners. Great staff as well

Cons

Not all teams (P&G kind of model here) are equally well run and equally well organized. Office space split between two buildings (three blocks apart) greatly diminishes collaborative atmosphere. I would often go whole days without seeing another member of my team,

Try and instill some foundation-wide practices to bolster performance of struggling branches like UNA-USA