United Nations

Updated December 15, 2014
3.8

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
Ban Ki-moon

Pros
  • I've found that the time can generally be worked into a good work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Highly educated people from all around the world working together for a good cause (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • For some times, you need to be patient with staying away from family and with menimum living conditions at the feilds (in 3 reviews)

• Travel and long hours worth of work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bureacracy

Current Employee - Team Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at United Nations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Important work is being done; working hours; benefits for certain category of staff

Cons

If hired as a local hire, cannot apply for international professional jobs for at least 5 years (become elligible after passing an exam); some people just don't care about work; transparency on paper frequently leades to lack of it in reality (many vacancy announcements are put out there with a candidate in mind).

Get rid of the policy prohibitting ambitious GS staff application for professional jobs; stop 'transparency' rules and regulations requiring hiring managers to post vacancy announcements when they already know who they want to hire.

Great experience

I worked at United Nations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Keeping abreast of everything that happens in the UN, makes you feel more connected to the important things going on in the world. Working with a diverse staff and enjoying the events that take place here. Great benefits and learning experience comes with any job here.

Cons

Processes can be slow sometimes and make getting your job done a bit difficult when having to work with other offices. Can be difficult to advance.

Unique place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at United Nations full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An amazing way to meet people from all parts of the world, with the occasional celebrity sighting (depending on where you work within the UN system). You can learn (or have to learn) great negotiating skills here, whether or not you take one of the excellent free courses that are offered (and I recommend that you do take them, schedule permitting, including languages). Skills-training is encouraged. Opportunity to go on mission to various parts of the world is available, though you may wish to choose carefully where you go. Much more time off than the typical American workplace, though the work often dictates when you can take it. I've found that the time can generally be worked into a good work-life balance.

Cons

Sometimes you have to fend completely for yourself in learning new skills or the ways of the Organization. People can be "too busy" to help answer a question. But it depends on where you land and who your colleagues are. Most are willing to help or steer you in the right direction. It's a vast organization and there is a lot to learn about it. Job opportunities are scarce and not sure they're opening up soon, unfortunately. You can get stuck at one level for a long time, financially, as well. Depends what's available in the system. You are lucky, though, if you do get a job here.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at United Nations (more than an year)

Pros

Great mandate and reputation. Multi-cultural environment. Great compensation and benefits for staff members (depending on the type of contract) .

Cons

Lack of governance, and broken hierarchical structure in some departments result in unclear objectives and inefficiency. Fixed Term or permanent positions are hard to obtain.

Advisor

Former Employee - Policy Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Policy Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training on site and the policy

Cons

The System very difficult to deal with

being more transparent

Be a part of something big

I have been working at United Nations

Pros

going to work everyday means something. there is always a motivation to get things done well

Cons

stiff, outdated processes and habits, poor talent management and career management

Basic Job. Not very exciting

Current Employee - Department of Public Information Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Department of Public Information Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at United Nations as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I got to see the mystery around the UN. I saw some interesting public figures, especially during the GA

Cons

My colleagues were not as inspiring as I expected.

Intern United Nations

Former Employee - Full-time Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Full-time Intern in New York, NY

I worked at United Nations as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I feel everyday is meaningful.

Cons

Please notice that serving as an intern is unpaid.

Nice people, meaningful work

Former Employee - Statistics Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Statistics Intern in New York, NY

I worked at United Nations as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

High level people, and also very hardworking and nice people. Exposure to different cultures. This job is for people who are more technical based. They have Good work-life balance. Work is very meaningful, you'll have a lot of motivation to do the work. For interns, a lot of activities for connecting interns going on.

Cons

A little bureacratic, the management in the office is not very efficient. No compensation for internship, this sucks especially when interning in new york.

Trade offs

I have been working at United Nations

Pros

The international experience alone made this job worth the headache and stress of the bureaucracy. I worked with people from all over the world and had the experience to travel to multiple developing countries as part of my assignment.

Cons

Bureaucracy! The UN is a slow moving machine. Be prepared to experience a lot of frustration in this modern day spoils system