United Natural Reviews

72 reviews filtered by
2.5
United Natural President, CEO, and Director Steven L. (Steve) Spinner
Steven L. (Steve) Spinner

Pros
  • Decent benefits package; discounts on product (in 3 reviews)

• Friendly associates, Excellent benefits and a Green Company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • hours can be long dont go home until trucks are filled (in 3 reviews)

• Company has great power statements that promot team work, self drive for example (It's our duty to foster the growth of others) (in 3 reviews)

1. Pleasant company to work for. I've had an excellent experience with them overall.

Current Employee - Merchandising Representative in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Merchandising Representative in Portland, ME

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

Excellent coworkers and management. You're not micromanaged and are treated like an adult. I would recommend working for them to others. The training was well done and managed as well.

Cons

Pay could be a little better but still above industry standard. Sometimes not enough direction but nothing major. There can be massive travel involved with certain positions.

I don't have much for management to consider. I feel most employees generally have a positive attitude of the company and it's future. Hopefully staying ahead of the curve and picking up new trends in the food retail business continues.

2. Great Place to Work!

I have been working at United Natural full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company culture, discount on wholesale bulk items, benefits, company outings, volunteer opportunities, flexible schedule, continuous growth, nice/clean facilities, being able to work with other people who are passionate about the industry and happy in their jobs.

Cons

Lack of communication between many of the departments.

Keep it up! This company offers great opportunity if you are willing to work hard. The natural/organic industry is growing every day and this is a great place to be if you want to be a part of that.

3. Great so far

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Providence, RI
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Providence, RI

I have been working at United Natural as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great, rapidly expanding company. So far I have been treated very well. My boss (and presumably other management) has been awesome, understanding, accommodating, and more than fair. I like it hear a lot.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains. Due to their rapid growth, some of their infrastructure has yet to catch up with the size of the company. They do appear to be working on this though by expanding facilities and the workforce.

Consider speeding up the process of expanding infrastructure to match the size of the company. Other than that, keep- up the good work.

No longer the best place to work for.....

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at United Natural (more than 10 years)

Pros

NONE. Sadly, everything that was good and promoted happy and productive employees has disappeared within the last 20 years. The ESOP has been eliminated and there will be more. It's all about upper management, Their bonuses, Keeping the investors happy and "How can we reduce the workforce this week"

Cons

The work force in the Northeast facility has been reduced by half or more. Employees are being treated unfairly. Many have been laid off regardless of how many years they have been there. The point system is used to monitor employees like hawks and terminate them. This company has gone from being family oriented to how high can we get our stock at any cost. The CEO doesn't even care. It's a disgrace.

Hire and promote people in management who at least know the job and have people skills. There is nothing worse than working for individuals with no leaderships skills and do not care.

I have been working for UNFI for a few years now and I love their benefits.

Current Employee - Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at United Natural full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is great as far as benefits. They offer great insurance and they offer discounts for their product.

Cons

They will tell you there is opportunity for growth but in reality they only look at the color of your skin, I have applied for three different positions that I have showed and proved that I am competent on but they have told me that I am not and that I need more training. I have been disappointed several times.

Management please stop making differences and start treating people the right way or you will lose the few associates that really care about the company.

Great company mission - extremely bad management - IT a disaster

Former Employee - IT Manager in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at United Natural

Pros

Fast growing company linked to Whole Foods (40% of business) and the growing organic and natural field. Staff below upper management is dedicated and skilled. UNFI has a strong commitment to the community and supports lots of volunteerism by employees.

Cons

Upper management is poorly suited for this fast growing company - most are learning on the job. IT is a complete disaster - old legacy systems, poor infrastructure, constant fire-fighting issues that result in significant unpaid work nights and weekends by many, many people. In my 4 years there, lots of major projects across IT depts. that took lots of effort beyond regular duties, and most ultimately ended up being cancelled mid-stream. CIO doesn't have a clue (came from A&P after being there 37 years) - VP level in IT replaced twice in 2 years - confused priorities and little planning. This is NOT a company where you can grow your IT career - no commitment to training or using new technology. Plenty of other and much better Fortune 500 companies in RI to pursue a technical job.

My advice is to the Board of Directors - take a comparative look at the experience and skills of UNFI executive management against other similar sized companies with similar growth. You'll see your executives rank poorly and are ill-prepared to grow this company properly.

Management

Former Employee - Management in Chesterfield, NH
    Former Employee - Management in Chesterfield, NH

I worked at United Natural

Pros

None, no organization or goals, confused with no direction. No checks and balances.

Cons

Management has little to no guidelines. Poor planning , favoritism is not merit takes center stage

Need checks and balances. Police your own policies . Local management will not use company policies to make numbers. Plan ahead and not run the company by the seat of your pants.

Silos, political environment, lacking in clear sustainable future

Current Employee - Anonymous in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Providence, RI

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

Company focus on organic and natural living

Cons

8 billion dollar startup company, tremendous overnight growth, but no infrastructure

Investigate and disband the silos

10. Warehouse Associate

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Greenwood, IN

I worked at United Natural full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great

Cons

Never knew what to expect each day. The management is horrible!!!!

Hire people that care about your company and just not the money!!!!

Typical soul crushing office job

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

-great discount on awide variety of great food and natural products
    -growing industry
    -average benefits package
    -internal job opportunities
    -mostly friendly workforce, willing to work together

Cons

-Little work/life balance. Most are overworked and take few, if any breaks.
    -Low pay for most salaried employees.
    -Employees are very much cogs in the big machine
    -Company is often referred to as a billion dollar business held together by duct tape. Very dated systems and workflow.
    -not very intellectually stimulating. Most jobs involve lots of busy work.

Relax a little bit! Nearly everyone at UNFI is stressed out, and that flows from the top.