United Natural Reviews

Reset
2.6
United Natural President, CEO, and Director Steven L. (Steve) Spinner
Steven L. (Steve) Spinner

Pros
  • And the pay is decent and they good benefits and stock purchase plan (in 3 reviews)

• A green company that cares about its environmental impact (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • hours can be long dont go home until trucks are filled (in 3 reviews)

• Company has great power statements that promot team work, self drive for example (It's our duty to foster the growth of others) (in 3 reviews)

1. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at United Natural (More than 8 years)

Pros

Largest natural food distributor in the United States. Fair pay and benefits.

Cons

Sometimes UNFI is to large, hard to get your name out to advance.

2. Territory Manager

I worked at United Natural full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule good benefits team environment

Cons

when interviewed was not given full responsibility of the role and when I started the training process was not designed specifically to help us succeed

3. Not the best truck driving job

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Auburn, WA

I worked at United Natural full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Routes are not too far, usually just one or two overnights.

Cons

Management is disconnected from workforce. There is a real "us against them" mentality.

5. Assistant Buyer

Current Employee - Buyer in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at United Natural (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people good work environment

Cons

Low pay Aged software system Overly complex supply chain

Advice to Management

focus on modern software

6. Director of Business Analysis

Former Employee - Director in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Long Beach, CA

I worked at United Natural (More than 10 years)

Pros

UNFI is a growing company and has a solid mission. There opportunities in many areas of doing business.

Cons

There are none, UNFI is a great company and leader in the Natural food movement.

Advice to Management

Everyone that I had the opportunity to work with was committed and strong leaders, keep up the good work.

7. UNFI

I worked at United Natural full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Focus on environmental responsibility, good community volunteer program with opportunities for employees to participate. Dedicated hard working people in many positions. Company continues to attract high caliber line employees.

Cons

Company eliminating ESOP program, focusing now on rewarding executives and senior managers rather than line employees. Benefits declining. Pay below market for technical, professional class employees. Company culture changing due to hiring of outside managers rather than promotions. Unclear career paths. Mid level managers autocratic and do not listen. Professional employees expected to work during vacations if needed. Offices run down and dirty. Computer system absurdly out of date.

Advice to Management

Employees should be treated as a valuable asset rather than a replaceable resource. Develop a process for communicating with and listening to line employees and professional employees. Learn to value them or turnover will continue to increase.

8. Is a ok place to much favoritism

Current Employee - Order Selector in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at United Natural full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is good have weekly bonuses and medical good 401k a few good supervisors Like Ron and Xiong, John are great and treat every one as equals.

Cons

hard to move around unless you are buddy buddy with them doesn't matter if you have experience they pass you up and give you the run around then train someone below you who has no experience. Also they cover up for their own circle and write up others for the dumbest things like putting a person on a final for running over a stick and letting someone slide for crashing and denting a rack to much favoritism. Also ask for to much and never want to hear what needs to change if they do they don't act on it.

Advice to Management

Need to learn how to hear and care more for your employees and Dan stop playing so many favoritism just cause you hang out with your favorites and party with them outside of work learn how to keep personal life separate from work life thats why so many people have left job.

9. The Culture That is promoted is not the company you see

Former Employee - Supervisor in Ridgefield, WA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Ridgefield, WA

I worked at United Natural full-time

Pros

The compnay has a store for damaged product that you can buy at a great discount. But if you use it too much you get talked to.

Cons

Work Drivers to the max hours. Let Drivers go if the manager does not like them. Entry level and Mid level managers get no training. But do get critizized for not knowing what they dont know or how to do it. Told to do things they are not trained to do. Preasured to leave position rather than company putting time into training.

Advice to Management

Your say that you train a manager to move to the next position. When there is a new entry level manager How about training them to do what you are currently asking them to do when the managersinstead of throwing them into the deep end of the pool with hungry sharks.

10. the Anti - Monsanto

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at United Natural full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Their products follow the most progressive trends that benefit the environment and future generations. Helping Hands Committee, the employee run community service group, allows for employees to balance out their work life a bit if that's important to them.

Cons

Depending on what department you're in, the values of the actual company sometimes don't seem to mean much, as in, it wouldn't make a difference to them if UNFI was selling your typical factory farm meat, so long as they can build their resume and impress their corporate peers (I think? Not sure what motivates them). Some resistance to change and improvement on a micro level among staff, I disagree with a lot of the comments on here that say management is the only problem. There are some employees who think what (kind of) worked then years ago should still work now and cannot be improved, despite evidence to the contrary. ***No I am not in management nor do I aspire to be.

Advice to Management

Growth is declining at the same time that UNFI is putting more corporate cronies in positions of power. Please, please, please, for the FINANCIAL future of the company, find someone who strongly believes in the social responsibility aspect of this company. It's the only thing that defines and separates us, every action we take should reflect this value, not the silly "Thrive" thing. We appear to have too many Tim Cooks.

11. good company, needs work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at United Natural full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Great Employee discount when you order products (25% off wholesale).

Cons

EVERYONE is overloaded with work and we are usually understaffed. Warehouse workers get raises frequently and cost of living increases, yet office help is below standard pay. Yearly reviews are NEVER on time.

Advice to Management

recognize valuable employees and raise salary, lower work load.

RSS Feed </> Embed