United Natural

Updated February 27, 2015
2.6

United Natural President, CEO, and Director Steven L. (Steve) Spinner
Steven L. (Steve) Spinner

Pros
  • Decent benefits package; discounts on product (in 3 reviews)

• Friendly associates, Excellent benefits and a Green Company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • hours can be long dont go home until trucks are filled (in 3 reviews)

• Company has great power statements that promot team work, self drive for example (It's our duty to foster the growth of others) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great so far

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Providence, RI
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Providence, RI

I have been working at United Natural as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great, rapidly expanding company. So far I have been treated very well. My boss (and presumably other management) has been awesome, understanding, accommodating, and more than fair. I like it hear a lot.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains. Due to their rapid growth, some of their infrastructure has yet to catch up with the size of the company. They do appear to be working on this though by expanding facilities and the workforce.

Consider speeding up the process of expanding infrastructure to match the size of the company. Other than that, keep- up the good work.

Warehouse Associate

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Greenwood, IN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Greenwood, IN

I worked at United Natural full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great

Cons

Never knew what to expect each day. The management is horrible!!!!

Hire people that care about your company and just not the money!!!!

I have been working for UNFI for a few years now and I love their benefits.

Current Employee - Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at United Natural full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is great as far as benefits. They offer great insurance and they offer discounts for their product.

Cons

They will tell you there is opportunity for growth but in reality they only look at the color of your skin, I have applied for three different positions that I have showed and proved that I am competent on but they have told me that I am not and that I need more training. I have been disappointed several times.

Management please stop making differences and start treating people the right way or you will lose the few associates that really care about the company.

Great company mission - extremely bad management - IT a disaster

Former Employee - IT Manager in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at United Natural

Pros

Fast growing company linked to Whole Foods (40% of business) and the growing organic and natural field. Staff below upper management is dedicated and skilled. UNFI has a strong commitment to the community and supports lots of volunteerism by employees.

Cons

Upper management is poorly suited for this fast growing company - most are learning on the job. IT is a complete disaster - old legacy systems, poor infrastructure, constant fire-fighting issues that result in significant unpaid work nights and weekends by many, many people. In my 4 years there, lots of major projects across IT depts. that took lots of effort beyond regular duties, and most ultimately ended up being cancelled mid-stream. CIO doesn't have a clue (came from A&P after being there 37 years) - VP level in IT replaced twice in 2 years - confused priorities and little planning. This is NOT a company where you can grow your IT career - no commitment to training or using new technology. Plenty of other and much better Fortune 500 companies in RI to pursue a technical job.

My advice is to the Board of Directors - take a comparative look at the experience and skills of UNFI executive management against other similar sized companies with similar growth. You'll see your executives rank poorly and are ill-prepared to grow this company properly.

Typical soul crushing office job

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

-great discount on awide variety of great food and natural products
    -growing industry
    -average benefits package
    -internal job opportunities
    -mostly friendly workforce, willing to work together

Cons

-Little work/life balance. Most are overworked and take few, if any breaks.
    -Low pay for most salaried employees.
    -Employees are very much cogs in the big machine
    -Company is often referred to as a billion dollar business held together by duct tape. Very dated systems and workflow.
    -not very intellectually stimulating. Most jobs involve lots of busy work.

Relax a little bit! Nearly everyone at UNFI is stressed out, and that flows from the top.

Stock and replenish wholesale merchandise, and work on post orders by breaking down the pallets and printing labels.

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

Stocking merchandise is quite easy. Scanning the labels to prepare for inputting the "pick line" or "back shelf" for that item.

Cons

Post orders are difficult to work with. Because breaking down the items from the pallet can sometimes require reorganizing the pallet for bulk quantities, and searching for extra U-boats for more minimal quantities.

If an employee is good on one task (like stocking), but is bad at another task (like post orders); don't have that employee laid off. Just have an employee continue on a task he/she is good at that task.

Opportunity and Support.

I have been working at United Natural full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people working in this company are supportive of each other, and at the same time they are self-starters. There are multiple options and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There is a definite need to be flexible and think on your toes, which if you're not a particularly organized person can be problematic.

Make it clear what potential career advancement paths are.

Channel account manager

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

Great company headed in great direction

Cons

Lots of hours spent on road

Work-Life Imbalance Perfected

Current Employee - Order Selector in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Racine, WI

I have been working at United Natural

Pros

Shoe voucher. That's it.

Cons

Company values are a complete illusion. You work 12 - 14 hours every day; if you're scheduled to work an 8 hour shift the minimum is 10 hours and often more due to call-ins. No one really wants to stay here, the turnover is obvious. I hate this place and have never seen so many disgruntled workers unhappy for the same reasons.

Hire people in groups larger than 3 for Order Selectors. Easily more than 30 of the people I started with six months ago are gone. Do NOT allow Michael Funk to hit the streets and tell people things that are mostly untrue. $17/hr was true for the first 20 or so people initially hired to get the word out, then the starting pay was $13.25. Why do that? People are burned out so quickly here.
     Nice to see Funk living the dream in his 6,500 square foot house. Not the hippie I thought but perception is everything.

Interesting company to work for

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at United Natural as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

For the most part co-workers are friendly and helpful.
    Good place to gain experience.
    Hours can be flexible.

Cons

Being a temp here is the worst, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Find a place to temp where you might actually get hired on in a decent time frame. I know some temps that have been around for a year or more and still haven't been hired on. They just use you to get work done, but don't pay you the same amount or give you benefits like a regular employee. Being a temp benefits them far more than it does you. For a company that supposedly makes a lot of money they can't afford for some reason to hire people on even though a lot of departments are suffering because of too much work and not a lot of people. And a hiring freeze in the west coast because they are not sure about the Gilroy DC. Really? Lack of communication and not nipping drama in the bud are other reasons why I wouldn't recommend this place

Take care of your employees and temps they might like working at your company more. Hire on temps quicker instead of just using us for whatever you need without paying us the same or offering benefits. Also, treat us as internal employees instead of external so we can have more of a chance of getting hired on. Afterall we are already working there we just don't get the same pay and benefits. Remember what it was like to live from paycheck to paycheck before you made it to the big leagues. Communicate more with us peons and take more time to train people. I only rated work/life balance so well because as a temp you can't work overtime, it would cost too much.