United Network for Organ Sharing

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
3.6

Brian M. Shepard

Great opportunity to make a difference

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mission-driven organization
    Opportunity to improve and save lives
    Lots of smart and talented team members
    Positive and upbeat culture
    Great benefits and fair pay scales

Cons

Lots of changes and growing pains taking place -- mostly for the better, but change can be tough.

Make sure to value current staff, as well as new and upcoming leaders and staff members.
    In the process of growth, don't forget to appreciate current and past accomplishments. There are many that came before that brought the organization to where it is today.

Helping Save Lives Every Day

Current Employee - Communications Specialist
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist

Pros

UNOS runs the nation's transplant system in the United States. Every person who works here contributes to saving lives every day. We have a strong, values based culture that draws people who want to make a difference. The benefits are excellent. Great work-life balance. Team work and innovation are encouraged. We even just started having quarterly "Fed-Ex days" or "hackathons" where teams of employees can devote the entire day to working on an idea they have to improve the way we do things. Smart, diverse, dedicated co-workers are great to work with.

Cons

The performance management system was outdated, but a new performance management system that was designed by employees for employees and is tied to our strategic goals, is being rolled out this year (2015).

Management is a joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company does some of the most truly noble and honorable work imaginable - they save lives. But that's about the only good thing I can say about this place.

Cons

Where to start...management and much of the staff in general is (or was when I worked there; I'd be shocked if it's changed much) horrific. They provide virtually no guidance of what they want done or how or when...then get upset when it's not done "right." They often scoot out of town to conferences to hob-nob with lawyers and doctors and no doubt massage their quite massive egos, virtually ignoring the people who work for them. Working conditions are absurd; if you get a tiny, cramped cube, you're one of the lucky ones. I've seen a half-dozen employers crammed into rooms that could scarely fit two comfortably. If they have any concerns or problems with anything you're doing in any way, they don't do the logical - and professional - thing and bring it to your attention; they'd much rather talk behind your back and suddenly spring it on you when it's too late. When I was there they went through contractors like people go through underwear; they make Cap One look stable (no easy task). I could go on, but you get the gist. This is the very LAST place you want to work.

Read my "cons." It should be self-explanatory. The last I heard, they had (finally) gotten rid of some lower-level managers, so perhaps upper mgt is finally getting a clue and there is reason for hope...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Great mission, great peers, company experiencing severe growth pains

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time

Pros

The people, or rather the underlings, are fantastic people to work with. They have big hearts and the majority of them truly stand behind the mission of the organization. The benefits are awesome, including pay increases every year and over 6% matching for 401k. The pay isn't great, but doable. Most managers are flexible, making it family friendly. IT department workers may not say the same thing.

Cons

UNOS has a lot of new upper management and in turn undergoing drastic changes in staff, even those that have been there for 10+ years. Staff morale is currently in the dumps. Some of the changes were needed to trim the fat, and clear out those that had been there too long and become ineffective. However, the way the trimming has happened has been distasteful and disorganized. Decrees are made from the top and underlings flounder to still make things happen with less staff. Don't get a job there right now hoping for good job security.

Address the low morale. You are way more concerned with how the company looks from the outside, how big, bad and corporate you can be, but inside its crumbling. Your long tenured staff are looking for new jobs. The mission will draw in really good people, but you won't retain the good employees if they can't trust management.

Identified effective practices to increase the number of transplanted donor organs.

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing

Pros

The work environment enabled me to succeed at both my career and personal goals. The people were great to work with and the flexibility in my schedule minimized stress, which in turn, made me a more productive employee.

Cons

At times, once I completed projects, it would take too long for IT to subsequently make the system changes necessary to implement new national transplantation policies in a timely fashion.

I have strong organizational skills and like to think 'out of the box' when changes need consideration.

A missed opportunity to grow into a dynamic IT Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People passionate about the organization's mission. New senior management is making changes to the management team.

Cons

IT department has had major turnover in previous years as a result of firing previous CIO. New CIO has very hierarchical management style and rarely leave her office. Very difficult to institute change or new ideas to this organization.

Eliminate some roles to flatten the IT organization: Resource Managers are not needed in an organization of this size.

Great feeling of assisting others

Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and talented peers, family friendly, Sense of doing good for others. Flexible daily schedules and work at home availability.

Cons

The only con is that the salary is not as competitive as other industries in the area. I guess to be expected from a non profit.

Good for your conscience, but not for your morale or pocket

Former Employee - QA Technology Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - QA Technology Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing

Pros

The mission is terrific - matching organ donors and recipients. Most of the people are really nice and caring. The company is very family-oriented. Work-life balance is strongly supported. The company tries really hard - sometimes too hard - not to fire people. When a layoff occurred - once in the 6 years that I was there, due to a re-organization - the company tried really hard to find jobs for those affected within the company and provided outplacement services. The benefits are surprisingly good for a non-profit, though the low pay makes it hard for all employees to fully participate.

Cons

Most of the pay is comparable with that of other non-profits, but the pay for QA personnel is poor, even by non-profit standards. Company-wide, pay adjustments are based more on longetivity than on performance and responsibility. Professional development is not offered at all. There is no tuition reimbursement. There is no room for career growth. HR exists almost solely to process personnel transactions and resolve conflicts.

Increase the pay of QA personnel to be comparable with other non-profits, at least. In some areas, such as IT, place more emphasis on functional knowledge than on clinical knowledge. Tie pay more to responsibility and performance and less to longetivity. Barely competent employees should not make more than their managers.

United Network for Organ Sharing Photos