United Network for Organ Sharing

Updated July 26, 2014
Updated July 26, 2014

3.3

CEO

Identified effective practices to increase the number of transplanted donor organs.

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing

Pros

The work environment enabled me to succeed at both my career and personal goals. The people were great to work with and the flexibility in my schedule minimized stress, which in turn, made me a more productive employee.

Cons

At times, once I completed projects, it would take too long for IT to subsequently make the system changes necessary to implement new national transplantation policies in a timely fashion.

I have strong organizational skills and like to think 'out of the box' when changes need consideration.

Great mission, great peers, company experiencing severe growth pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time

Pros

The people, or rather the underlings, are fantastic people to work with. They have big hearts and the majority of them truly stand behind the mission of the organization. The benefits are awesome, including pay increases every year and over 6% matching for 401k. The pay isn't great, but doable. Most managers are flexible, making it family friendly. IT department workers may not say the same thing.

Cons

UNOS has a lot of new upper management and in turn undergoing drastic changes in staff, even those that have been there for 10+ years. Staff morale is currently in the dumps. Some of the changes were needed to trim the fat, and clear out those that had been there too long and become ineffective. However, the way the trimming has happened has been distasteful and disorganized. Decrees are made from the top and underlings flounder to still make things happen with less staff. Don't get a job there right now hoping for good job security.

Address the low morale. You are way more concerned with how the company looks from the outside, how big, bad and corporate you can be, but inside its crumbling. Your long tenured staff are looking for new jobs. The mission will draw in really good people, but you won't retain the good employees if they can't trust management.

A missed opportunity to grow into a dynamic IT Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People passionate about the organization's mission. New senior management is making changes to the management team.

Cons

IT department has had major turnover in previous years as a result of firing previous CIO. New CIO has very hierarchical management style and rarely leave her office. Very difficult to institute change or new ideas to this organization.

Eliminate some roles to flatten the IT organization: Resource Managers are not needed in an organization of this size.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great feeling of assisting others

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment and talented peers, family friendly, Sense of doing good for others. Flexible daily schedules and work at home availability.

Cons

The only con is that the salary is not as competitive as other industries in the area. I guess to be expected from a non profit.

Good for your conscience, but not for your morale or pocket

Former Employee - QA Technology Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - QA Technology Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing

Pros

The mission is terrific - matching organ donors and recipients. Most of the people are really nice and caring. The company is very family-oriented. Work-life balance is strongly supported. The company tries really hard - sometimes too hard - not to fire people. When a layoff occurred - once in the 6 years that I was there, due to a re-organization - the company tried really hard to find jobs for those affected within the company and provided outplacement services. The benefits are surprisingly good for a non-profit, though the low pay makes it hard for all employees to fully participate.

Cons

Most of the pay is comparable with that of other non-profits, but the pay for QA personnel is poor, even by non-profit standards. Company-wide, pay adjustments are based more on longetivity than on performance and responsibility. Professional development is not offered at all. There is no tuition reimbursement. There is no room for career growth. HR exists almost solely to process personnel transactions and resolve conflicts.

Increase the pay of QA personnel to be comparable with other non-profits, at least. In some areas, such as IT, place more emphasis on functional knowledge than on clinical knowledge. Tie pay more to responsibility and performance and less to longetivity. Barely competent employees should not make more than their managers.

Worked for United Network for Organ Sharing? Contribute to the Community!