United Network for Organ Sharing

United Network for Organ Sharing Reviews

Updated Jan 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Identified effective practices to increase the number of transplanted donor organs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work environment enabled me to succeed at both my career and personal goals. The people were great to work with and the flexibility in my schedule minimized stress, which in turn, made me a more productive employee.

ConsAt times, once I completed projects, it would take too long for IT to subsequently make the system changes necessary to implement new national transplantation policies in a timely fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have strong organizational skills and like to think 'out of the box' when changes need consideration.

Great feeling of assisting others

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsGreat work environment and talented peers, family friendly, Sense of doing good for others. Flexible daily schedules and work at home availability.

ConsThe only con is that the salary is not as competitive as other industries in the area. I guess to be expected from a non profit.

A missed opportunity to grow into a dynamic IT Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsPeople passionate about the organization's mission. New senior management is making changes to the management team.

ConsIT department has had major turnover in previous years as a result of firing previous CIO. New CIO has very hierarchical management style and rarely leave her office. Very difficult to institute change or new ideas to this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate some roles to flatten the IT organization: Resource Managers are not needed in an organization of this size.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for your conscience, but not for your morale or pocket

QA Technology Manager (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe mission is terrific - matching organ donors and recipients. Most of the people are really nice and caring. The company is very family-oriented. Work-life balance is strongly supported. The company tries really hard - sometimes too hard - not to fire people. When a layoff occurred - once in the 6 years that I was there, due to a re-organization - the company tried really hard to find jobs for those affected within the company and provided outplacement services. The benefits are surprisingly good for a non-profit, though the low pay makes it hard for all employees to fully participate.

ConsMost of the pay is comparable with that of other non-profits, but the pay for QA personnel is poor, even by non-profit standards. Company-wide, pay adjustments are based more on longetivity than on performance and responsibility. Professional development is not offered at all. There is no tuition reimbursement. There is no room for career growth. HR exists almost solely to process personnel transactions and resolve conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay of QA personnel to be comparable with other non-profits, at least. In some areas, such as IT, place more emphasis on functional knowledge than on clinical knowledge. Tie pay more to responsibility and performance and less to longetivity. Barely competent employees should not make more than their managers.

Worked for United Network for Organ Sharing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at United Network for Organ Sharing reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by United Network for Organ Sharing employees.