United Online

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Francis Lobo

Things, they are a'changing.....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGood benefits and compensation, nice team of people to work with

ConsNew senior management changes that want to force a new culture without regard to current employee input

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

People first, really?

ProsFlexible work environment, decent salary and benefits.

ConsTenure used to be viewed as an asset, but not here. There's no vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new CEO claims a "people first" culture and is attempting to get what's left of the employee base to believe him. If you're trying to improve morale and save the company, do all of your lay-offs and be done with them! We've had years of lip service, it's so mundane.

Pleasant

ProsCompensation is pretty good and smart group of people.

ConsCould use a bit more innovation and enthusiasm.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible. Good pay. Management is good.

ConsNo perks. Not oriented towards employee fun or engaging activities.

United Online was great but the economy went south and they laid off everyone.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsMy boss was great the people were great and was in a great location

ConsThey needed backing Owner drives a different car to work every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwner went to Ohio State. Last year employed 2008

Company lacks Vision

ProsBalance life, good place to learn

ConsCompany lacks vision
    Lacks fun
    No career growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company lacks vision and still hanging on to the 5 year old technology.

Vice President

Vice President (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGreat technical talent and the people were fantastic to work with

ConsLack of business growth and politics have killed morale

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter asses the management team's capabilities

Frustrating and endlessly boring. Unless you're part of the old crew you won't have any responsibility.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSo many people leave its easy to get promoted. The office is nice.

ConsNo willingness to correct the course. Continue to hang on to old values despite a changing market. Leadership has a deep fear of change.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself and/or stop worrying about specific silos of money from the site. Let stuff die that needs to die and focus on what works.

UOL has a great crew, but so did the Titanic ...

(Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsOverall there was great communication between team members and across departments, very little pride of ownership from non-management during the process of completing projects, and a real spirit of collaboration and a willingness to help whenever needed.

Among the rank-and-file workers at UOL there was a great sense of team and the understanding that the finished product was more important than the guys who worked on it.

ConsUOL is an extremely top-heavy organization, and promotions are hard to get if you aren't good at the political stuff. Sometimes UOL seems like a petri dish for a Peter Principle experiment.

2013 is the first year in the past six in which there hasn't been a massive round of layoffs. In fact, when October rolls around, most employees begin telling jokes about who'll get released.

But perhaps the biggest concern for UOL is that there seems to be no vision. The future of the company almost seems as if it is being decided by a blindfolded man throwing darts. The Communications segment of UOL is currently still shackled to the dial-up ISP business, and after flopping around trying other directions, has now decided to gamble on the mobile broadband sector - except that they are using tech that is already 5 years out-of-date and trying to market it to a demographic that's still confused by cell phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have only a couple of comments for management:

1. THERE ARE TOO MANY OF YOU: A company with only about 200 workers in Woodland Hills does not need close to 20 Vice Presidents.

2. YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE SMART, TOO. Rather than give lip service when an employee offers a suggestion only to toss it away in favor of what you think, it might be a good idea to consider them. I know you think that because you're a VP you know more than the rest of us, but look back over the last three years. See all that failure and waste of money & time? Those were all your GREAT ideas.

3. YOU CAN'T SOLVE ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH ANOTHER ROUND OF LAYOFFS. Yeah, I know, it's an effective cost-cutting tool, but sometimes smarter planning and more strategic thought can work better than just breaking out the hatchet and cutting more folks loose.

Great Salary, Terrible Environment (Seattle Office)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFree beverages, paid parking/bus pass, healthy work/life balance, strong salaries.

ConsPoor work environment, very uptight corporate culture, lack of creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company offers extremely strong salaries which is great, but it does come at a cost. The office is the stereotypical "corporate" environment. With gray cubicles and the type of silence you could hear a pin drop, the majority of people come here, keep their heads down and collect a check. The corporate culture will rob you of every ounce of personality, zest, or happiness. This is just not the place for creative, vibrant, passionate people to work.

There is little room for growth as most people receive title changes and menial raises to compensate for the fact that there is no real upward mobility. More than that, the majority of the team are not passionate about what they're doing and instead gravitate towards this company to 1) Have a healthy work/life balance and 2) Get a nice, steady paycheck. Also, as a result of title changes, I found the managerial team to be extremely lacking and not having real management skills. There was also no real process/procedure in place which created a very unorganized environment.

If you are looking for a company that offers a great work/life balance and good money, in exchange for a culture eerily similar to the movie "office space" and employees that lack passion this is the place for you. No judgment because everyone looks for different things in a company, but I would tell anyone creative, passionate, or looking for a company that is investing in their products and sites to run the other direction.

Worked for United Online? Contribute to the Community!