United Rentals Reviews

Reset
3.5
United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland
Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • Good benefits for the most part (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, mostly new equipment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • gt;Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear (in 5 reviews)

• verrry long hours and all weekends (in 4 reviews)

1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at United Rentals (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually do not work weekends

Cons

Not many cons about the job

2. Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cedar Falls, IA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cedar Falls, IA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We work hard and play harder. Such a fun company!!! Great people. Great pay. Great benefits. Great communication.

Cons

Honestly, there aren't any I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!! Absolutely love my district and region team!

3. Watch your back

Former Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Operations Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at United Rentals full-time

Pros

Good pay. Medical,dental and vision benefits are good and that's about all the good.

Cons

Lousy management from corporate down to district manager. To much Micro managing. You hire people to do a job,let them do it. I had 16 years with the company. Had an employee trying to get me fired and he succeeded with his B.S. lies. Only had one phone interview with HR. Did not even get a face to face about the issue. Two weeks later I was terminated. WATCH YOUR BACK if you choose to work here.

Advice to Management

Get out out of the ivory tower and back to reality.If they do not stop drowning employees with rules about safety,they are going to have evenore people hurt. Was to the point you were focused more on what you couldn't do than the job you were supposed to be doing. Let sales reps do their job and stop micro managing withe stupid sales force.com which most reps did just to get it out of the way. Last thing is stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Your a rental company,focus on that.

Unsafe, unethical business practices.

Former Employee - Service Manager in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Lawton, OK

Pros

Pays well for the position your in. Wonderful benefits and matching 401k program. Has buying perks (sometimes it works)

Cons

Renting equipment to customers before the equipment is back from previous renter. Leaving very little time for maintenance to inspect and fix defective equipment. This causes bad equipment to go to the customer knowing full well the equipment may be unsafe or will break. This puts the maintenance back out on the road to face a very angry customer. Also, managers get a bonus and sales reps get commissions but maintenance personel dont. Work orders disappear on equipment that's in maintenance and suddenly being rented. Branch manager and above are always previous sales reps. I have never seen a maintenance supervisor promoted to Branch Manager. working for UR as a mechanics is unsafe legally. The CMMS is old, out dated, and leaves gaping holes for manipulation other than maintenance oersonnel. There is NO team environment for UR. UR can do nothing w/out the maintenance team yet they are treated horribly and are blamed for everything- because once it is out the gate it is a maintenance problem to fix or report.

Advice to Management

Replace the CMMS with a modern system that only maintenance can use and only the service manager can oversee. Hire to meet the production flow and hire a parts clerk for any store with $10m> worth equipment. Bring the mechanics in on the commission because it's everyone that makes the rent. The branch manager should never be allowed to override the service manager on maintenance related equipment. He/she is not the one that will face the leagle team. Sr. Leadership above the district manager need to be more involved and knowing what's going on at the lowest level. I meet the CEO briefly. He is Awesome and cares but the issues are still there.

6. Territory Manager

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Can have to many bosses at one time

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Made lots of money and friends

Cons

Management is not good in this company.

Advice to Management

You lie to your customers, your shareholders, and your employees. You have made a business that is so fundamental into rocket science and have forgot how you got to be the largest in the world. Your business model and practices are a complete failure. You are not satisfied with a fair profit rather you try to find every way to raise your rates daily to put more to your bottom line. For everyone reading, they told us to round up to the number 7 on every contract. So if it was $51 dollars, they would charge you $57 dollars. Could not live like that. Those who say it is a good place are new employees that can't see the forrest through the trees.

8. sales

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits , some good regions and people to work with. That's it.

Cons

It really depends on what region you are working in and what store you are working out of. The proficiency of the local store and district and management can vary greatly. I would not recommend the Las Cruces/Albuquerque store/ district at all. Has Bad reputation in rental business, there are reasons why. Too much cronyism, no people management skill from store/district managers. Watch your numbers on rental revenue, other sales people have no problem with "borrowing" your numbers. local management says nothing, I guess it goes on all the time. HR is NOT there to help you, they will close ranks, waste of time to talk with them. No real sense of team at all. Regional, upper management disconnected from store/district level. Doesn't want to know issues or just too concerned with their paycheck to care, not sure which but result is still the same.

Advice to Management

Too top heavy, totally disconnected to what really goes on at District /store level. If you really want to improve your "teams", find out why someone left this company and the reasons they left, FROM the Employee, not a phone call to a manager that is part of the problem. But you really have to want to care about issues and want to correct them to build a solid team. Stop hiring former car rental people for management, not the same business, hire managers with PEOPLE skills. Stop with the talk, "we are a team/family", and start demonstrating it. You don't need anymore "yes men". You need critical thinkers that are willing to think outside the box. As I said, not all Regions are like the Rio Grande District, choose wisely where you decide to work.

Isr

Pros

Good pay and benefits. At least you're fed very well and make good money the company pays for a lot

Cons

Politics and cliques. Horrible office environment and not flexible unless you're management. Slave to the job with minimal help. Very quick to point fingers

10. Good for a job, not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free lunch Fridays, uniform service, flexible hours, pretty good people for the most part, pretty lax atmosphere most of the time. A few solid guys in the shop.

Cons

One or two crappy employees with horrible work ethics. Sometimes too much pressure to get equipment out and correct repairs are not made. Under trained, unskilled, under tooled "mechanics". At the end of the day, the only thing that matters are the phony numbers and making the shareholders more cash.

Advice to Management

Hire better techs, keep customer number one at all times, not phony numbers on a spread sheet

11. Favorite Job! Laid-off in 2009

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CT

I worked at United Rentals (More than a year)

Pros

United Rentals was my favorite job. Our manager Hillary was amazing and as a team we all worked together to meet our monthly goals and if one was falling behind everyone would help as a team should (including our manager). She not only rewarded us for our hard work, the whole department felt like family and it was a sad day when we all heard the news in regards to the fate of our department.

Cons

The whole department was let go without a warning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and get to know your employees. Take some time out and learn other processes and see where improvement can be made.

RSS Feed </> Embed