United Rentals

Updated September 4, 2014
3.7

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland
Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package (in 13 reviews)

• Offer good pay with the option for overtime (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency (in 14 reviews)

• Micro management, discourage continuing education, etc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

great

Former Employee - Equipment Manager  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Equipment Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at United Rentals as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

the work people and money

Cons

I had no cons or trouble with this company

no need to

Great company! Poor admin.

Former Employee - Service Tech IV  in  Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Service Tech IV in Woodland, CA

I worked at United Rentals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learning platforms are unlimited>I loved learning about the protocols and the company gave me free reign on creating inventory<shop organization and full responsibility of getting my job done.
    Unfortunately their are only 40 hrs. a week given and much more is needed in a start-up situation.
    It was my dream job but unfortunately we had a novice of a branch manager.

Cons

Managers that have Napolian Syndrome

Love the company>Better choices on Branch Managers

Fun fun in the sun ☀!!!!

Current Employee - Tool Trailer Tech
    Current Employee - Tool Trailer Tech

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is great. Tons of overtime. Great benefits package. They even buy you new boots each year!

Cons

Boss could tend to try to lead through intimidation. Luckily it always backfires on him once you go up the chain! Owww

Do what you say and say what you do! That's called integrity. The policy is the policy binding between employer and employee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what it comes across as...

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Associate  in  Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Associate in Texas City, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Employee Benefit programs, First hand exposure to lots of equipment and tools and the industrial business involved in construction and industrial contractors.

Cons

Mediocre salaries, limited time given for available training programs, Management does not appreciate the efforts you put forth in your position as inside sales roles.

Take a close look at the reality of the day to day operations and whom is accountable for what.

Motto Should Be: "Consider It Considered"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great name recognition and huge support structure to facilitate getting into large accounts.
    -Technological aids such as apps that allow customers to off rent equipment themselves.
    -Not much of a hassle on what you're expensing.
    -They give you shares in the company.
    -Pay can be fantastic for OSRs.

Cons

-Stiff, corporate culture and bureaucracy takes away the ability of sales reps to be flexible with customers, which drives them off. People at corporate will contact your customers without keeping you in the loop and you'll be blindsided walking into a customer's office or with an angry phone call. Customers will be placed on hold for trivial things and it's very difficult to get them off hold, as you have to work through corporate.
    -Big Brother is always watching. UR seems to be obsessed with making sure average people are meeting the minimum standards, rather than finding exceptional people and removing the obstacles from them excelling. Your phone and computer is loaded with spyware that tracks exactly where you're at. Also, apparently the new vehicles have a tattletale feature that tells your boss if you're speeding (plus you're paying a monthly fee for that vehicle too).
    -Operates on the "too big to fail" philosophy. UR's whole strategy seems to be to buy up great companies and win by making people use them, instead of providing a better level of service and being easier to use.
    -Lack of motivation at the Branch. This is more a problem with the General Rentals stores, but it will permeate to the specialty divisions too. You'll call up looking for equipment for a customer and just be told basically "oh, well" because they don't have it, rather than being told how they can make it happen.
    -Obsessed with safety to the point of it being a distraction from actual work. The branch will spend several hours a week doing safety meetings, conference calls and a whole bunch of other things besides getting equipment out the door.
    -Opaque decision making process from higher. Things will just be dictated down from above without any explanation or reasons.

Decentralize your decision making and start treating people like adults. Don't buy a company and then change everything about it.

Excellent company to work for. plenty of money to be made.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefites, compensation are great. Company vehicle and top fleet in the industry.

Cons

DSMs could use a little more UR history. After the merger it was hard to remember who bought who,

Busy, Busy, Busy never ending work...

Current Employee - Mechanical IV
    Current Employee - Mechanical IV

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

#1 The benefits - full dental, eyes, medical 401k, paid vacations, six paid sick days, three floating (birthday, Anniversary DOH +1 more). Mediocre annual training. Fairly competitive pay.

Cons

Must own tools, inability to take vacation when company is busy (summer). No real opportunity for advancement, once you have a job it's hard to transfer to another location or level ie sales. Feel stuck, need to be "customer oriented" when dealing with ignorant users (read: Dumb people). Pay raises seem to be mere cost of living adjustments versus raise. Must have two sets of tools (you are a shop and road tech)

Maybe a program which allows technicians to rotate between branches. More regional town hall meetings so the lower techs can address some issues with management.

Certain locations need new management and employees

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Offer good pay with the option for overtime. Decent hours allows for a good work to life balance

Cons

Lack of training in certain stores for new employees. Several people with attitudes and some long term employees are very sneaky. I had thought I was in High School while working there.

Too big to fail.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package. The company's large size offers a reasonable amount of job security.

Cons

URI's approach to business in the last three years has been to streamline, increase efficiency, and sell image - to Wall Street. All of these are great, unless done at the expense of quality of service. United has worked hard to differentiate itself from the competition, charging a higher rate for a better product. Unfortunately, they are still demanding a higher rate, but are now offering a substandard product. What was once a relationship-based business relying on repeat customers, is now transactional - we don't care if we upset a customer, there's another one around the corner.

We are seeing a rapid deterioration in our long-time customer base. They are still doing business with us, but because they have to. In the current market, this is not a major concern. Business is strong, and there are a wealth of new opportunities as commercial construction continues to rebound. What happens when that growth stops? Our customers have long memories, and we're instilling the perception that we don't care about them. They need us now, but they won't forever.

managers are despicable. Look out for their little group

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

pay , benefits, company vehicle

Cons

verrry long hours and all weekends. Managers will bury you to save their own skin.

Wake up your feet on the street cant be all bad??!!

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!