United Rentals Reviews

Reset
3.5
United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland
Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • Good benefits for the most part (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, mostly new equipment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • gt;Senior Management tells everyone what they want to hear (in 5 reviews)

• verrry long hours and all weekends (in 4 reviews)

Great place to grow! Hard work rewarded!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

Pros

It has enabled me to further expand my skill set and knowledge base! I came to the company ready to work hard and let it be known that I was interested in growing and expanding my abilities. I talked at length with the leadership of my department regarding my interests. After working in my initial role for a year, I was able to successfully post for and move into a position with greater exposure and responsibility. The new role has proven to be challenging, but very rewarding! My continuing efforts to grow have been well supported by management.

Cons

The company benefit of college assistance should be expanded from assistance for an undergraduate degree to obtaining graduate degrees. Many of the corporate positions require a minimum of an undergrad degree so, this benefit really isn't useful to those who already have one. Also, a company of this size should expand the current vacation benefits to better align themselves with many other corporations who award more time.

Advice to Management

There should be smaller group meetings held with Sr. Management regarding how groups of departments or specific departments are doing in addition to companywide style meetings.

2. United Rentals has taught me everything I know today regarding how to conduct business in a professional manner.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Benfits are one of the greatest incentives that UR has to offer.

Cons

The ups and downs of the construction industry.

I LOVE my job!!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA

Pros

I have a lot of flexibility, my manager is incredible, the opportunity to make money is available. It is a great place to work. The benefits are fabulous.

Cons

There is a lot of computer work involved.

United Rentals provides me with a career path, goals, and a sense of achievement.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Experienced, strong leaders Vision for the future Truly believes in partnership with customers, not just supplier/purchaser relationships Encourages leaders to recognize and develop talent

Cons

There aren't many cons for me. I've experienced dramatic swings in the economic situation, and those fluctuations have taken us from one extreme to another, with risks at both ends. A couple years ago, we had hiring freezes, layoffs, consolidations, etc and now we're growing fast that it's difficult to maintain a high level of service without the infrastructure supporting current activities.

Advice to Management

See all projects through to completion before piling on more. Allow time for each to be absorbed and adopted fully before building the next step. Not saying only do one thing at a time, but make sure each initiative is fully in place before trying to move on to the next.

Great opp for an aggressive college grad

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are interested in seeing how all that theory in college applies to real world business, then apply for an inside sales position. This is not for the faint of heart. You will see first hand how a business is ran from top to bottom. Best in class industry leader. I spent a long time here and have seen it improve time and time again. Do not go into this company thinking you will be a manager or a sales rep. You work hard and the company will reward you with the challenge you can handle.

Cons

You can jump into a hornets nest if you aren't careful. Meet with as many "managers" as possible. You will likely work 60 to 70 hours a week in peek season(spring-summer-fall). Construction/Industrial industry is not very politically correct. They are ruff around the edges.

Advice to Management

Your internal employment development is very poor. Reps are not given enough control over decisions and you are losing revenue because of it. We all understand that you all are trying to be more accurate in your forecasting, but don't turn into "Walmart," just so you can print out a score card.

7. If you want a challenging career while working with a high powered management team, come to UR.

Current Employee - Corporate Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make an impact. The company continues to grow and has a solid strategic vision. When critics thought UR could not withstand the economic downturn of several years ago, the management team had a strategy that lead us through some rough times that lined us up to pull off the most successful and largest merger in the industry. Company is very military friendly and recognizes its service veterans.

Cons

You need to know how to balance work and family.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for more.

8. Current Employee

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family culture, URI beleives we should take care of each other and it is a great place to work. I have worked for the company for 9 years and highly recommend it. Our Manager's and Executives care about your well being and I am proud to work for such an amazing company.

Cons

For those of you reading the negatives don't beleive everything you read! Is URI perfect, no but you tell me what company is?

Advice to Management

Continue on you are buliding a world class Company!!!

9. An exciting, challenging place to work, with great co-workers.

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees at United Rentals enjoy working at the Company. If you want to join a team that loves to win, this is your place!

Cons

Employees do work very hard.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Continue to listen to your employees and invest in their growth and development.

10. Solid executive team, solid strategy, pay for performance

Current Employee - Hrd in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hrd in Boston, MA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company rewards pay for performance. Executive team is passionate about customer service, continuous improvement, and the organization is very dynamic. Corporate and field career opportunities have increased with growth of company footprint. Engagement surveys and quarterly calls show commitment to employee feedback. Systems and technology investment is large to make the UR the rental industry leader in this area. A large company but the feel is that of a large family. I'm 14 years with the Company and am very proud to speak about the Company to anyone I meet.

Cons

With any large Company, coordination and internal communication can be challenging. The Company recognizes this and tries to be proactive on communications.

11. Excellent career opportunities!

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

United Rentals has been a great place to work. They offer excellent career opportunities, and great pay and benefits. One thing that has stood out to me is there willingness to advance employees based on merit and not on tenure. You work hard here, you get rewarded.

Cons

Tough to say. The hours can be long, but that's to be expected when the company is willing to put so much responsibility in your hands.

Advice to Management

Please develop a legitimate sales training program for OSR's.

RSS Feed </> Embed