United Rentals

Updated September 4, 2014
3.7

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland
Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package (in 13 reviews)

• Offer good pay with the option for overtime (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency (in 14 reviews)

• Micro management, discourage continuing education, etc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not what it comes across as...

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Associate  in  Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Associate in Texas City, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Employee Benefit programs, First hand exposure to lots of equipment and tools and the industrial business involved in construction and industrial contractors.

Cons

Mediocre salaries, limited time given for available training programs, Management does not appreciate the efforts you put forth in your position as inside sales roles.

Take a close look at the reality of the day to day operations and whom is accountable for what.

Backstabbers

Former Employee - Purchasing  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Charlotte, NC

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Insurance plan was good as well as holidays

Cons

They set you up for failure. Training is non-existant.Unless you are part of the selected few, there is no teamwork. Although you go to mg mt with concerns m nothing is done then they use those issues as a reason to "eliminate" your job.

Company is top heavy. Too many executives.

Chasing dreams and numbers

Former Employee - Service Tech IV  in  Romulus, MI
    Former Employee - Service Tech IV in Romulus, MI

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

U own it! This is the first step off management training

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management,always crying they can't make any money Its never good enough no matter what u do. Always chasing numbers at the end of every month

Stop having your service manager fudge the service numbers. You are not fooling anybody. If you buy new equipment does not mean u don't have to service them properly

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KEEP LOOKING ELSEWHERE!!!!!!

Current CDL-A driver. Also in with the "good ol boys"

I have been working at United Rentals

Pros

Less than rewarding career. I am an RSC Legacy employee and I feel that the "merger" ruined a great company. I would have recommended employment with RSC to anyone, I would not wish UR on anyone. Micro managed down to the point of electronically tracking the metrics of the trucks (idle, time between stops, how long it takes to make a delivery etc etc. Yes that is the pros. They do give the veterans a little something every year for Veterans Day which I feel is very awesome from a company.

Cons

Always told what you've done wrong and how. Rarely ever do you hear "good job" or any other praise. Always contradicting wants from management. Today it's all about talking with customers and selling our business to them, tomorrow it's what the hell took you so long yesterday? It's safety safety safety, until it becomes inconvenient. Truck dispatcher doesn't know logistics, no communication anywhere, equipment left, forgotten on job sites for weeks or months. Yes I have seen months. I do not expect us to be afloat this time next year, or I wouldn't be on here searching careers...

The delivery fleet leased from Ryder is basic bare bones, no comfort features or visually appealing options. But look inside any company vehicle from outside sales up and they're lined with options, features, navigation, nice wheels, etc.
     (Yes it does matter, look at the competition and see their pretty trucks and trailers passing by while your trashy trucks sit on the yard.)

I am not the only to notice that the company has gone to "pot" after the "merger". I've been told by long time United employees that it was a much better place to work before the take over. All in all it's a melting pot of drama, high turnover, lack luster performance, and junk equipment. There is a lot of new pieces coming in, but the bigger stores that house DM's and higher steal them away, sending you their junk in return.

I'll see you guys in the unemployment line soon.

Buy the stock - Work elsewhere.

Former Employee - Declined to Answer  in  Siraha, Midwest Region (Nepal)
    Former Employee - Declined to Answer in Siraha, Midwest Region (Nepal)

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great management of "image and story" to Wall Street since RSC merger. Stock has outperformed. Debt is dropping, share buy back was a stellar move, growth is controlled and management has greatly improved financial discipline. $100/ share by 2015!

Cons

1970's Management approach at local, district and region levels. Reactive field management style won't change - not sure that it should. Questionable ethics still haunt URI at high levels, but Wall Street has much higher tolerance for ethical scandals compared to 1990s.

As a long-term shareholder and former employee, my advice is DONT SCREW IT UP THIS TIME." United was founded for the sole purpose of consolidating the equipment rental industry and for shareholders to make a pile of cash through stock appreciation. After a lot of management gaffs over the past ten years, the Board and Senior Management seem to have (finally) mustered enough discipline to take advantage of the upward cycle which should be solid for 24 months or more. You will need to think about treating employees better as the unemployment rate drops or recruiting will get even more difficult. Thanks for the ride, retirement is coming early. DONT SCREW IT UP!

Betrayed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I have been working at United Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Don't have any at all.

Cons

Super micromanagement. This branch has been set up to fail. First of the year they cut our wages and broke our contract, forcing us to work 8 days on, 6 days off at 12 hours a day. Transport equipment is older and constantly breaking down, severely short on mechanics so the guys on shift have to bust there ass all day to try to meet company demanded goals. Poor moral, everyone will be quitting soon.

None because they won't listen anyways.

If you can't beat them, buy them out!

Think twice before going to work for the "Wal-Mart" of the rental industry

Former Employee - Teritorry Manager  in  Gallup, NM
    Former Employee - Teritorry Manager in Gallup, NM

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I left on my own terms and am incredibly happy with my new job. Most of our management was laid off only to be replaced by overwhelming incompitence.

If you are okay with people forced to do business with you because you are the largest rental company in the United States, then I guess their fleet size is a plus

Cons

After United bought RSC customer service was thrown out the window and all of us territory managers were sent out to essentially sell lies. It was way more fun to compete against United rentals and dominate them rather than to work for such a selfish company. They have absolutely no respect for their customers business nor for the employees working hard to build customer relationships. RSC was growing rapidly ( due to a strong customer service culture), United realized they were a threat and added them to the list of companies they have taken down.

The sliding pay scale is a joke and only a way to pay employees less. And just sets up the poorly trained ISR's to make customers mad by providing no consistency in pricing.

United's equipment is junk and is just asking for a law suite when it hurts somebody for not being properly maintained.

If fighting with your management on a daily basis to do what is RIGHT for your customer - fill out an application today!

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES ON THE FRONT LINE, rather than micro micro micro micromanaging from your offices. Better yet - get out and meet with the people paying your bills and listen to them!

Take sales personnel out of store manager bucket

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at United Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

United has the most equipment, and the most customer touches of any company. Therefore you are always guaranteed business. You work for the little things in your territory. Then, when the big things show up, you still reap the benefits of a National Account Manager taking control of the situation, and you get the commission. NICE.

Cons

Once that Nat Acct leaves, then you are on the hook for the lost revenue. Your idiot store manager, who is worried about drivers, front desk, service, conference calls, etc. is the one who come down on you with a double edge blade. "Get more deals, but only the deals I like!" Some, like the one I had, manage through ego, which ends in disaster for you as a rep. If you complain to your DM, it will fall back on the manager to "deal" with you. There is no open communication, no partnering with this person, just "listen to what I say, and I don't care what you do"

Very focused on their own careers.

Take the reps out of the store manager's hands, reduce the number of reps, and focus on accounts, rather than job sites. Weed out nepotism in the business, and find these guys who are "protected' from doing undo damage to a really good sales rep.

Boring.

Former Employee - Account Payables  in  Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Account Payables in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at United Rentals full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the owrk hours. From 8am to 5pm

Cons

There werent a lot of workload. Old ladies working for United were complaining about bringring new people and teaching them the whole process. Complained about the training, and if you were good at what you were doing they will complained as well as for them being scared of being fired because you were doing a better job than them. A lot of chit chat and mistreating temp employees.

I dont know even know what to say because they promised something and the other days they will tell you diferently.

Think very carefully if ever offered a position in their corporate offices.

Former Employee - Credit Service Representative - Bill Collector  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Credit Service Representative - Bill Collector in Charlotte, NC

I worked at United Rentals as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

None comes to mind now.

Cons

Ineffective management. Lack of a clear direction.

Train your staff, not just the occasional PowerPoint presentation. Also, ask your employees what they need to be effective. Not everyone has the same experience or work background. If you want a truly professional work experience, be honest about what the particular job is. Call Center jobs are not Credit Service jobs. The atmosphere in their credit operations is more like mill or factory work. The work / life balance at UR is nonexistent unless you have been with the company for a long time.

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!