United Rentals

United Rentals Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

United Rentals President & CEO Michael J. Kneeland

Michael J. Kneeland

Pros
  • URI offers competitive wages, and a good benefits package(in 13 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, mostly new equipment(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience mid and upper management will not return phone calls unless emergency(in 14 reviews)

• Micro management, discourage continuing education, etc(in 4 reviews)

Backstabbers

Purchasing (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsInsurance plan was good as well as holidays

ConsThey set you up for failure. Training is non-existant.Unless you are part of the selected few, there is no teamwork. Although you go to mg mt with concerns m nothing is done then they use those issues as a reason to "eliminate" your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is top heavy. Too many executives.

Chasing dreams and numbers

Service Tech IV (Former Employee) Romulus, MI

ProsU own it! This is the first step off management training

ConsUnrealistic expectations from management,always crying they can't make any money Its never good enough no matter what u do. Always chasing numbers at the end of every month

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having your service manager fudge the service numbers. You are not fooling anybody. If you buy new equipment does not mean u don't have to service them properly

KEEP LOOKING ELSEWHERE!!!!!! Current CDL-A driver. Also in with the "good ol boys"

ProsLess than rewarding career. I am an RSC Legacy employee and I feel that the "merger" ruined a great company. I would have recommended employment with RSC to anyone, I would not wish UR on anyone. Micro managed down to the point of electronically tracking the metrics of the trucks (idle, time between stops, how long it takes to make a delivery etc etc. Yes that is the pros. They do give the veterans a little something every year for Veterans Day which I feel is very awesome from a company.

ConsAlways told what you've done wrong and how. Rarely ever do you hear "good job" or any other praise. Always contradicting wants from management. Today it's all about talking with customers and selling our business to them, tomorrow it's what the hell took you so long yesterday? It's safety safety safety, until it becomes inconvenient. Truck dispatcher doesn't know logistics, no communication anywhere, equipment left, forgotten on job sites for weeks or months. Yes I have seen months. I do not expect us to be afloat this time next year, or I wouldn't be on here searching careers...

The delivery fleet leased from Ryder is basic bare bones, no comfort features or visually appealing options. But look inside any company vehicle from outside sales up and they're lined with options, features, navigation, nice wheels, etc.
     (Yes it does matter, look at the competition and see their pretty trucks and trailers passing by while your trashy trucks sit on the yard.)

I am not the only to notice that the company has gone to "pot" after the "merger". I've been told by long time United employees that it was a much better place to work before the take over. All in all it's a melting pot of drama, high turnover, lack luster performance, and junk equipment. There is a lot of new pieces coming in, but the bigger stores that house DM's and higher steal them away, sending you their junk in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'll see you guys in the unemployment line soon.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Buy the stock - Work elsewhere.

Declined to Answer (Former Employee) Siraha, Midwest Region (Nepal)

ProsGreat management of "image and story" to Wall Street since RSC merger. Stock has outperformed. Debt is dropping, share buy back was a stellar move, growth is controlled and management has greatly improved financial discipline. $100/ share by 2015!

Cons1970's Management approach at local, district and region levels. Reactive field management style won't change - not sure that it should. Questionable ethics still haunt URI at high levels, but Wall Street has much higher tolerance for ethical scandals compared to 1990s.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a long-term shareholder and former employee, my advice is DONT SCREW IT UP THIS TIME." United was founded for the sole purpose of consolidating the equipment rental industry and for shareholders to make a pile of cash through stock appreciation. After a lot of management gaffs over the past ten years, the Board and Senior Management seem to have (finally) mustered enough discipline to take advantage of the upward cycle which should be solid for 24 months or more. You will need to think about treating employees better as the unemployment rate drops or recruiting will get even more difficult. Thanks for the ride, retirement is coming early. DONT SCREW IT UP!

Betrayed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

ProsDon't have any at all.

ConsSuper micromanagement. This branch has been set up to fail. First of the year they cut our wages and broke our contract, forcing us to work 8 days on, 6 days off at 12 hours a day. Transport equipment is older and constantly breaking down, severely short on mechanics so the guys on shift have to bust there ass all day to try to meet company demanded goals. Poor moral, everyone will be quitting soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone because they won't listen anyways.

If you can't beat them, buy them out! Think twice before going to work for the "Wal-Mart" of the rental industry

Teritorry Manager (Former Employee) Gallup, NM

ProsI left on my own terms and am incredibly happy with my new job. Most of our management was laid off only to be replaced by overwhelming incompitence.

If you are okay with people forced to do business with you because you are the largest rental company in the United States, then I guess their fleet size is a plus

ConsAfter United bought RSC customer service was thrown out the window and all of us territory managers were sent out to essentially sell lies. It was way more fun to compete against United rentals and dominate them rather than to work for such a selfish company. They have absolutely no respect for their customers business nor for the employees working hard to build customer relationships. RSC was growing rapidly ( due to a strong customer service culture), United realized they were a threat and added them to the list of companies they have taken down.

The sliding pay scale is a joke and only a way to pay employees less. And just sets up the poorly trained ISR's to make customers mad by providing no consistency in pricing.

United's equipment is junk and is just asking for a law suite when it hurts somebody for not being properly maintained.

If fighting with your management on a daily basis to do what is RIGHT for your customer - fill out an application today!

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES ON THE FRONT LINE, rather than micro micro micro micromanaging from your offices. Better yet - get out and meet with the people paying your bills and listen to them!

Take sales personnel out of store manager bucket

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsUnited has the most equipment, and the most customer touches of any company. Therefore you are always guaranteed business. You work for the little things in your territory. Then, when the big things show up, you still reap the benefits of a National Account Manager taking control of the situation, and you get the commission. NICE.

ConsOnce that Nat Acct leaves, then you are on the hook for the lost revenue. Your idiot store manager, who is worried about drivers, front desk, service, conference calls, etc. is the one who come down on you with a double edge blade. "Get more deals, but only the deals I like!" Some, like the one I had, manage through ego, which ends in disaster for you as a rep. If you complain to your DM, it will fall back on the manager to "deal" with you. There is no open communication, no partnering with this person, just "listen to what I say, and I don't care what you do"

Very focused on their own careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the reps out of the store manager's hands, reduce the number of reps, and focus on accounts, rather than job sites. Weed out nepotism in the business, and find these guys who are "protected' from doing undo damage to a really good sales rep.

Boring.

Account Payables (Former Employee) Temple Terrace, FL

ProsI like the owrk hours. From 8am to 5pm

ConsThere werent a lot of workload. Old ladies working for United were complaining about bringring new people and teaching them the whole process. Complained about the training, and if you were good at what you were doing they will complained as well as for them being scared of being fired because you were doing a better job than them. A lot of chit chat and mistreating temp employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont know even know what to say because they promised something and the other days they will tell you diferently.

Think very carefully if ever offered a position in their corporate offices.

Credit Service Representative - Bill Collector (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsNone comes to mind now.

ConsIneffective management. Lack of a clear direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your staff, not just the occasional PowerPoint presentation. Also, ask your employees what they need to be effective. Not everyone has the same experience or work background. If you want a truly professional work experience, be honest about what the particular job is. Call Center jobs are not Credit Service jobs. The atmosphere in their credit operations is more like mill or factory work. The work / life balance at UR is nonexistent unless you have been with the company for a long time.

Rewarding and a comfortable work place.

Office Administrator (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsExceptional team players. Understanding managers.

ConsPeople rarely leave a position so the timeline to be promoted from within is limited.

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!